Upcoming Films

Quintus

So Patrick Doyle is doing Thor? I know of his scores but haven't listened to enough to know if this is a decent decision. Thoughts?

It's Kenneth Branagh, so Doyle was a given. But you never know with studio intervention, so I'm glad he's able to score.

His scores with Branagh are all very strong, in my opinion, so he could very well deliver something great with Thor. But let's not forget... it's Thor. I'm anti-"Hey let's get these great artistic directors and have them direct our crappy summer blockbusters" movement that seems to be happening.

Aronofsky's filmography:

Pi

Requiem For A Dream

The Fountain

Yeah all good...

The Wrestler

Black Swan

Yep...

X-Men Origins: Wolverine 2

...Excuse me?!

So Patrick Doyle is doing Thor? I know of his scores but haven't listened to enough to know if this is a decent decision. Thoughts?

It's Kenneth Branagh, so Doyle was a given. But you never know with studio intervention, so I'm glad he's able to score.

His scores with Branagh are all very strong, in my opinion, so he could very well deliver something great with Thor. But let's not forget... it's Thor. I'm anti-"Hey let's get these great artistic directors and have them direct our crappy summer blockbusters" movement that seems to be happening.

Aronofsky's filmography:

Pi

Requiem For A Dream

The Fountain

Yeah all good...

The Wrestler

Black Swan

Yep...

X-Men Origins: Wolverine 2

...Excuse me?!

I think (and hope) that Wolverine will be the best movie of his career.

I'm anxious to see The Wolverine now. At least maybe they'll do him justice this time.

I just hope they will let Patrick Doyle his thing, however unsubtle his score might end up. But it's Marvel and they like to interfer. John Debney wasn't very happy with his watered-down Iron Man 2. And I'm sure Jon Fevreau wasn't either.

Karol

Maybe let's allow the man to speak for himself:

"We had very little face time, Jon and I. We had very little time to sit together which, by the way, was unlike our other collaborations. He confessed to me that he wished we had more time together. What that score became in my humble opinion - and I can be as self-critical as anybody - is that it became a little bit watered down from what I originally wanted. In other words, I had written what I thought were some pretty big aggressive themes for that film. The areas where I wanted to state those themes, I was precluded from doing so. The filmmakers know better than I and because Iron Man and Tony Stark in particular are such complex characters, I think what Jon felt was, if the themes with Tony or Iron Man got too broad or too heroic, it turned him off."

The whole interview can be found here. There is more on that and on modern blockbuster scoring. Quite sad really. It could have been a good score. Yes, even with heavy metal elements. And what we have is a score what tries to be everything all at once.

Karol

Aronofsky's thing recently has been taking really cliched, predictable scripts and trying to do his thing with them-in that X-Men should be no different than THe Wrestler.

And if Thor doesn't work despite at last having a genuinly talented director, I'd be happy if Marel studios just closed up shop now. They are not good at making movies. If even an ambitious director like Branagh can't elevate their junky merchandizing machine, it's simply not worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

On The Road by Jack Kerouac is one of my favorite books. Many years ago, it popped up on IMDb as announced, and actually had Black and White listed for color. I've been excited and waiting for it ever since. Nothing ever developed with it, so I assumed it was a dead project, much like Frank Darabont's Fahrenheit 451. Then not too long ago, I remember seeing an article saying Kristen Stewart and Kirsten Dunst had signed on, and a couple no names were hired for Sal and Dean. I lost some hope there, but really completely forgot about it.

I was just checking Francis Ford Coppola's page and saw that he was producing the film and that it was in post-production. The full cast looks fairly decent, but I immediately went to check who was composing.....................

GUSTAVO SANTAOLALLA

:crymore:

I'm looking froward to seeing "Black Swan"; and "The Tree Of Life" looks interesting. Hey, it's Malick, so it needs to be investigated...At least the stills do not look as if they have been digitally graded, which is reassuring, given Emmanuel Lubeski's talent, and track record.

I can't honestly say why, but, at this time in my life, I find myself increasingly turned off by big Hollywood productions; preferring to watch "smaller" films. I'll go to see "D.H.pt.2" as a matter of course, and "TRON:Legacy" brought out the child in me - again (Rock 'n' Roll!), but that's about it. I guess that I need to see "real" films, about "real" people, not some $300,000,000, CGI-riddled monstrosity, that reads as though it was written by a bunch of retarded termites.

Still, it's just one man's opinion.

Whatever we all watch at the filcks, I hope we enjoy ourselves.

Yeah, I'm tired of those as well. And apparently so is John Williams.

Karol

...and good for him, if he is! Can't see much evidence of this, though, what with "WOTW", "IJ+TKOTCS", "Tin Tin", oh, and that teenager with the dodgy specs...

Personally, I'd like to hear more scores like "TAT", and "Images", and less scores like "SW", but I'll happily listen to anything that he deems to compose.

1) Anyone who has worked with the Pet Shop Boys gets my vote. :)

2) "Dynasty"? maybe, just as long as they keep Bill Conti's theme...

Did you just come out of the closet?

Sucker Punch looks like another one of those popular green movies they seem intent on making lately.

Right. God forbid a film look natural.

As for the poster, the "H" looks a little like a Roman "II", like it's Sucker Punc II, the sequel where Toothless from HTTYD chases after that airplane.

1) Anyone who has worked with the Pet Shop Boys gets my vote. :)

2) "Dynasty"? maybe, just as long as they keep Bill Conti's theme...

Did you just come out of the closet?

Oi!!!!! Cheeky! I'll "Did you just come out of the closet?" you, in a minute, and not in a nice way.

Just because I like the PSBs, does not necessarily imply that I am gay; I just like the PSB, that's all.

As for "Die-Nasty": I can't stand the program (nor "Dallas", nor all the other stuff like that), but a score by Bill Conti would, at least, make it palatable.

Just because I like the PSBs, does not necessarily imply that I am gay; I just like the PSB, that's all.

Maybe.

What do you think of Depeche Mode, Madonna and Lady Gaga?

So far all the pieces are falling in place. Should be really good, but one massive chunk is missing... the composer.

I hope they don't hire Hans Zimmer...a two note theme for Spider-Man oh the horror.

Edit: Regarding the suit, I dunno I don't like it as much as Maguire's suit for Spider-Man 1-3. Plus the guy playing Peter Parker looks a bit on the scrawny side.

Maybe.

What do you think of Depeche Mode, Madonna and Lady Gaga?

Lady Ga Ga: didn't she do some song that went "rah, rah, oh, ma-ma, ram-a-lam-a-ding-dong"...or something?

o Moving on...

Madonna: now, she showed promise. Her truly last great work was "Ray Of Light" (but parts of "Music" weren't bad). When she's good, she's very good, but she needs good co-writers, such as Stephen Bray, or Pat Leonard to be consistently good.

Still "Erotica" does contain the immortal line: #Erotic. Erotic. Put your hands all over Bill Oddie# Rock and Roll!!!!

Depeche Mode: now you're talking. Basildon's finest (and, as far as I know, Basildon's only!). Too often the band's ironic humour was lost on its (mostly pre-pubescent) audience, but they made some truly wonderful pop albums. My favourite is "Songs Of Faith And Devotion", but "Violator" is their acknowledged masterpiece. Was there ever a more misunderstood, and maligned recording than "Music For The Masses"? That effect of a swiveling hub-cap at the start of "Behind The Wheel" gives me chills.

If you have not heard the new-ish remasters, then do so, and give the DVDAs spin on a 5.1 system (in DTS, of course!). The multi-channel mixes are very intelligent, indeed, allowing the songs to impact in a whole new way.

I'm never hoping to see another POS film like Watchmen again, that was a seriously poor film, from acting to directing.