The Dark Knight 2-CD Special Edition official thread (what a mouthful)

Corellian2019

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the similar to that whole thing about The Dark Knight sheet music. This is like saying Mel Wesson wrote music because he did ambient design.

Well it happens that Mel Wesson did ambient design for both King Kong and The Dark Knight. I meant it's like saying Wesson wrote music for King Kong because of his ambient design.

Back to the set.

It arrived yesterday, when I back home it was waiting for me. The Amazon's Box of the package was huge, even larger than the indy set or others orders from intrada, SAE or whatever. Than I found out why. The 2CD box, I wonder if it was made by paper or wood, was larger than any box set I've ever seen. It's larger than my Indy box, larger then Ben Hur set or my Anime's 10 CD box sets. It is too large to put in my pocket. How could I suppose to listen to it in the Journey to work with such a large box?

It had a slip case, which is also pretty hard (Wooden, maybe?). Inside the slip case, there was a CD case, looks like a book.

The CDs placed in the box in the same way as the DVD of Lord of the Rings CR. It means it is hard to take it out, and even harder to put it back.

In the Middle of the book like CD case was the Photo of the movie, with a page tracks list written on, and some pages with composers thanks as well as the Director's words. These pages seems like can be easily tear off.

The music, well, I didn't listen to the remix yet, but it's sounds like there were no new theme left. The theme are all already released in the BB or TDK original disc. Anyway there were some good mixing of the old themes, like one version of the "Epic theme" was pretty good. The important action cue are all in the first disc, therefore what we have in the 2nd disc are all less important cues.

If you already have the original release of TDK and don't like it, don't get the set. If you like it and seek for more music as good as the original OST, it would disappoint you. If you love TDK's music and want a "complete" score of it, even every important things are in the original OST, than go for it. To me, I had no expectation on this new set, therefore I wouldn't be disappoint.

But that's not the point. He created an integral part of the score, whether he physically wrote anything out or not.

Same thing with Dead Man's Chest. Physically writing out a score isn't a big virtue of RCP anyway; people did score parts for Zimmer as well as JNH, nothing else does "Additional music by" mean.

But that's not the point. He created an integral part of the score, whether he physically wrote anything out or not.

Same thing with Dead Man's Chest. Physically writing out a score isn't a big virtue of RCP anyway; people did score parts for Zimmer as well as JNH, nothing else does "Additional music by" mean.

Well since I don't have the actual sketches in front of me it's impossible to say who wrote what but when the film was released and this subject was brought up, several reputable people in the field confirmed that Chris Bacon did lend a hand in composing some of the music.

It happens more often than people are willing to admit, especially when you're replacing a score to a 3 hour film and only have 3-4 weeks to do it in.

It happens more often than people are willing to admit, especially when you're replacing a score to a 3 hour film and only have 3-4 weeks to do it in.

I agree. I remember some people didn't believe me when I said Shore had help on the Lord Of The Rings scores.

I honestly don't care how many write a score as long as the final product is good. It's just this whole mess with additional composers and the way people use that against RCP specifically.

The way I see it with additional composers though, is that it's really not that much, which is why it's called additional. JNH probably did at least 90% of the work on King Kong.

When you have the instances where specific tracks are credited to different composers, that's when they added a lot. Like with The Holiday and Tears Of The Sun. Those have like 10 composers each that did a lot of work.

• 4 weeks later...

Very few composers write all of their music these days. John Williams is certainly one of them.

It represents a new trend, popularized by composers like Zimmer and Horner, where the composer is more of a "soundtrack producer". Hans has often expressed this sentiment. To his credit, Hans is very generous - giving many of his co-composers credit at the end of the film (as "additional music" - although the orchestrators often do just as much work). Others are not so kind.

It's not always a bad thing - as Koray points out: the final product is great and represents largely the ideas and compositions of the main composer.

I agree. I remember some people didn't believe me when I said Shore had help on the Lord Of The Rings scores.

I honestly don't care how many write a score as long as the final product is good. It's just this whole mess with additional composers and the way people use that against RCP specifically.

The way I see it with additional composers though, is that it's really not that much, which is why it's called additional. JNH probably did at least 90% of the work on King Kong.

When you have the instances where specific tracks are credited to different composers, that's when they added a lot. Like with The Holiday and Tears Of The Sun. Those have like 10 composers each that did a lot of work.

who helped howard shore do lord of the rings?

Very few composers write all of their music these days. John Williams is certainly one of them.

It represents a new trend, popularized by composers like Zimmer and Horner, where the composer is more of a "soundtrack producer". Hans has often expressed this sentiment. To his credit, Hans is very generous - giving many of his co-composers credit at the end of the film (as "additional music" - although the orchestrators often do just as much work). Others are not so kind.

It's not always a bad thing - as Koray points out: the final product is great and represents largely the ideas and compositions of the main composer.

:lol:

ROTFLMAO

I'm sorry - The final product is sometimes listenable. I'm trying not to outright bash Hans Zimmer in every one of my posts.

• 2 years later...

So I was reading recently that the "recording sessions" that recently leaked are not true recording sessions at all, but rather the exact final film edit of the score, complete with edits and volume changes, etc. And I guess there is some clipping?

Has anyone started to make a new custom complete intended score by replacing sections of this music with what's available on the OST and deluxe edition?

This score makes me :sleepy:

so do John Williams scores, and that is a good thing, that means I enjoy it so much I can relax to it

So I was reading recently that the "recording sessions" that recently leaked are not true recording sessions at all, but rather the exact final film edit of the score, complete with edits and volume changes, etc. And I guess there is some clipping?

Has anyone started to make a new custom complete intended score by replacing sections of this music with what's available on the OST and deluxe edition?

I'm not so sure, there's quite a few tracks joined together in the film that are separated on the 'sessions'. But I've always been a little suspicious of the source; he's 'released' several Bond score expansions that seemed like fakes.

Jeff Grace, whose score to The Last Winter is fantastic btw.

"Helped" is a broad term, and can be taken several different ways. Jeff Grace's credits over multiple Howard Shore productions include music prep, music crew, music coordinator, music editor, etc. Please let me know if I've overlooked anything. I'm certain he was a valued member of the team, helping to make sure everything that needed to get done got done -- there are a LOT of moving parts between the moment when the composer is finished penciling a cue in manuscript form, and the moment when the recorded music is locked into the final mix of the film. But any implication that Jeff had a role in the WRITING of the music (or even its orchestration) would be entirely unfounded, to the best of my knowledge.

But any implication that Jeff had a role in the WRITING of the music (or even its orchestration) would be entirely unfounded, to the best of my knowledge.

You took the words right out of my mouth. The sheer quantity of music required an extensive team of assistants and copyists, but the music and orchestration is all Shore.

Jeff Grace, whose score to The Last Winter is fantastic btw.

"Helped" is a broad term, and can be taken several different ways. Jeff Grace's credits over multiple Howard Shore productions include music prep, music crew, music coordinator, music editor, etc. Please let me know if I've overlooked anything. I'm certain he was a valued member of the team, helping to make sure everything that needed to get done got done -- there are a LOT of moving parts between the moment when the composer is finished penciling a cue in manuscript form, and the moment when the recorded music is locked into the final mix of the film. But any implication that Jeff had a role in the WRITING of the music (or even its orchestration) would be entirely unfounded, to the best of my knowledge.

You're quoting a post that's over two years old, but I recall his credit on Fellowship as additional music crew. I don't believe Grace did anything substantial, i.e. composing entire cues, but I was using this as way to knock those who were saying a composer pretty much needs to do everything by themselves, and that's why Zimmer is trash, etc. etc.

Good times.

• 10 years later...

Wow, that is so subtle in the mix that it's honestly an impressive catch (though I suppose blasting it loud enough on speakers could just as easily unearth it).

I'm going to assume this was an accidental sound that the microphones picked up on, since the one time Zimmer has deliberately made SFX as part of the album (TASM2) wasn't this quiet. It being in the complete as well (1m04 Dirty Cash) solidifies that for me.

Curiously, it seems as the cue goes fully unused in the film, since the edit I've had for so long jumps from 1m03 to 1m05. I guess Nolan either found it unnecessary, or they simply didn't have the time to record a new copy.