The Dark Knight 2-CD Special Edition official thread (what a mouthful)

Corellian2019

Right then.

The topic description pretty much says it all, but I'd also like to mention that come December 9, I hope this thread will be getting a lot more action. Right now all we have to go on is anticipation and excitement, my friends (and my disinterest in the 4 remixes). I've already asked my parents for this set for Christmas and won't be opening it until the 25th (but I WILL be opening other goodies before then :) , but that's for another thread). Till then, I'd love to hear thoughts, opinions, comments, and reviews about this new set, especially from those of you who listen to it before Christmas.

Now, first order of business: audio samples and track times for the 2nd disc (obviously :D ). Does anyone have any links or clues to a website that has them?

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been discussed in The Dark Knight thread and the HZ Appreciation Thread.

I'm thrilled that you like to go into this much detail about Hans, but this thread will get little to no responses. A lot of the people here have a mindset that Zimmer is utter trash. Of course it makes no sense, because no Zimmer fan has ever shown hate for John Williams or others of the like. Maybe just some people are intolerant.

Of course it makes no sense, because no Zimmer fan has ever shown hate for John Williams or others of the like. Maybe just some people are intolerant.

People aren't bashing Zimmer because they think his fans dislike JW. People bash him because they dislike his music.

I for the record, love most of Zimmer's work. I liked most of TDK.

Of course it makes no sense, because no Zimmer fan has ever shown hate for John Williams or others of the like. Maybe just some people are intolerant.

People aren't bashing Zimmer because they think his fans dislike JW. People bash him because they dislike his music.

I am aware. But there's no need for it. It's like some just can't accept that he's living and breathing and that millions of people actually like his music.

I am aware. But there's no need for it. It's like some just can't accept that he's living and breathing and that millions of people actually like his music.

Actually the thoughtful criticism of Zimmer can be quite interesting (and refreshing) to read, even if I disagree with it.

The mindless bashing...yes, that is incredibly annoying.

This has been discussed in The Dark Knight thread and the HZ Appreciation Thread.

I'm thrilled that you like to go into this much detail about Hans, but this thread will get little to no responses. A lot of the people here have a mindset that Zimmer is utter trash. Of course it makes no sense, because no Zimmer fan has ever shown hate for John Williams or others of the like. Maybe just some people are intolerant.

You've never been to IMDB, have you?

I am aware of the official Dark Knight thread, but I wanted to start my own focusing only on next month's 2-CD release and assessing the cues and whether it really is the complete score, among other things; everything else can be relegated to the other official thread.

@Vosk:

Thank you for welcoming me.

But please refer to my above post to see why I created this thread. It's meant to focus exclusively on the 2-CD set of The Dark Knight.

BB could put me to sleep, easily one of the worst HZ scores ever, one of the worst JNH scores ever, and possibly one of the worst scores ever (though I do enjoy "Molossus").

TDK is much different, though some bits of it are still unlistenable, a majority of it is quite good. I would call it a good soundtrack.

I don't remember what music is missing from the film, perhaps a second viewing would be necessary to determine whether I will buy this expansion.

Welcome to the board, but there was definitely no reason to make a new thread about this. You should have looked before creating a new thread. Hopefully Marc or Neil locks this up.

Yes, wecome to the forum, and no, there is no reason to lock this thread.

How many Indy4 threads did we have going? This is good because it is a specific place to talk about the 2CD release.

That's because it's Zimmer's project, all of his ideas. Nolan asked Zimmer, and then Zimmer went to Howard because they always planned on working together.

In Batman Begins, you can hear what the two composers worked on. Not so much on The Dark Knight. As Howard said, he went into a room by himself to work and then before he knew it he had a bunch of people coming in trying to help out. He got sucked into the Zimmer way.

Did JNH even work on this score? I bet his credit was purely a contractual agreement.

In the film, it allk just sounds like Hans.

There are at least 3 cues he wrote. I heard he basically handled all the Dent material, and apparently that encompassed 'Harvey Two-Face', 'Blood on my Hands' and 'Watch the World Burn'. The first two of them are fairly standard JNH fare, I thought the third was Zimmer at first.

I'll be downloading the second disc to see if there's any more JNH music that's worth having (I bought the above 3 tracks from 7Digital).

How many Indy4 threads did we have going? This is good because it is a specific place to talk about the 2CD release.

This is a John Williams message board, not Hans Zimmer.

We don't have multiple threads for other composers and we sure as hell don't need them for Zimmer.

Analysis and discussion of the old and new music in the upcoming set

Well, I've done a comparison in Audacity between Zimmer's Joker theme and somebody scratching her nails on a blackboard and there's definitely something fundamentally wrong with the pitch!

We don't have multiple threads for other composers and we sure as hell don't need them for Zimmer.

There you go, ruining all the little Zimmerites Christmas. You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch.

Well, I've done a comparison in Audacity between Zimmer's Joker theme and somebody scratching her nails on a blackboard and there's definitely something fundamentally wrong with the pitch!

:P:P:D:D

:shakehead:

Oh - and welcome to Corellian, by the way :)

There you go, ruining all the little Zimmerites Christmas. You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch.

Yes I've been told I have all the tender sweetness of a seasick crocodile.

@ colinthomson and Greg1138: Thanks for welcoming me, guys! :)

There are at least 3 cues he wrote. I heard he basically handled all the Dent material, and apparently that encompassed 'Harvey Two-Face', 'Blood on my Hands' and 'Watch the World Burn'. The first two of them are fairly standard JNH fare, I thought the third was Zimmer at first.

I'll be sure to check that out. :)

You watch, just for that I'm gonna start a Vangelis thread pretty soon ;)

I actually think that might have been the intention. :)

If it's a John Williams message board, better then just lock up and delete everything that's not related to John Williams. So no JNH, no Goldsmith, no Horner, no Herrmann, no Rosza, etc. etc. This is a film music forum, that just happens to be centric on a particular composer.

I actually think that might have been the intention. :blink:

That would be correct.

If it's a John Williams message board, better then just lock up and delete everything that's not related to John Williams. So no JNH, no Goldsmith, no Horner, no Herrmann, no Rosza, etc. etc. This is a film music forum, that just happens to be centric on a particular composer.

This is a John Williams forum that just happens to have members that like broader aspects of film music.

This is a John Williams forum that just happens to have members that like broader aspects of film music.

This is turning into another Zimmer bashing thread...

And there's a simple way to avoid it IMO. If anyone's going to use 'excrutiating noise' anywhere in their next post in this thread... well, Mark put it succinctly:

If you don't like it you can always go somewhere else.

Works both ways Mark.

Well considering every member likes broader aspects of film music, why not include them in the description of the forum. It's like the term PMS. It's obsolete, a syndrome means not everyone gets it, but it's a fact that every woman gets it. Therefore, it is PMDD-ing, not PMS-ing.

does anyone else find it humorous to see the word special associated with the "score"?

• 2 weeks later...

Just remember all of the Titanic related albums that were released, including a second one from Horner, due to that film's popularity.

I would imagine it's the same case with TDK.

You know, I don't really think it's a great score, but it has gotten a lot of listens in my car's CD player.

For one simple fact: on the highway at night on the drive home from work, it is a fantastic listen.

Seriously, if you have it, I recommend trying it out. At your own risk of course. :)

You like Speed? You enjoy a MV score? Well I'll be damned.

I had a listen to some of the Zimmer tracks. At the ultimate guilty pleasure level, they were a non-offensive background listen, but all the time I wanted the orchestra to do something... anything.. except propelling rhythms and directionless brass anthems. I mean the brass theme in the latter half of Like a Dog Chasing Cars almost reaches something interesting for me, but never quite gets there with the chopping strings etc. The lighter stuff at the end of the track, I admit, is rather cool in a way.

It's a score from which I could probably make a small suite of Zimmer's material, nothing more.

I bashed the score pretty hard when it first came out, but it's grown on me in a shallow, dumb entertainment sort of way. It has a bit of atmosphere.

But the problem was it was too long as it was. Reducing it to...I don't know....four tracks would suffice. But a $50 dollar two-disc set? What could possibly be unreleased other than a few tones?