Isolated music scores on Fox Blu-rays

Corellian2019

Warner have released a good few Blu-rays with iso scores copied across from their earlier DVD releases, LA Confidential & Tim Burton's Willy Wonka etc.

What did you think of the disc Charlie? For me Contact is highly underappreciated by most which is a shame as there's some stunning visuals and camerawork (the scene with the girl running towards the bathroom cabinet, when Jodie Foster is rushing from the satellites in the car to base camp and the opening / closing scenes specifically). Narratively the film works well too and it's genuinely well executed. Silvestri's score plays well and it's worth viewing with the isolated score option to fully appreciate some of the cues.

The HD transfer is solid with rich colours and sound pretty good.

Sadly I have yet to obtain a copy, but it's on my list.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the DVD of Contact with the isolated score, but I wouldn't watch the entire movie through with the iso - there are so many unscored scenes.

The only value I've extracted thus far is the 15 mins or so of 'officially' unreleased music.

And with all the Elfman isos, makes me wonder why there wasn't one for Sleepy Hollow. Most of that score is on the CD, but there is a good 10 minutes of great score unreleased.

What did you think of the disc Charlie? For me Contact is highly underappreciated by most which is a shame as there's some stunning visuals and camerawork (the scene with the girl running towards the bathroom cabinet, when Jodie Foster is rushing from the satellites in the car to base camp and the opening / closing scenes specifically). Narratively the film works well too and it's genuinely well executed. Silvestri's score plays well and it's worth viewing with the isolated score option to fully appreciate some of the cues.

It's an awesome film, even though it's definitely hollywood-ised and cheapened compared to the book, there's still plenty of depth to it, and a serious lot of craftsmanship. And Jodie Foster's performance, though CGI-enhanced in the most effective scene, is one of my favourites.

The HD transfer is solid with rich colours and sound pretty good.

I guess I'll have to get the Blu-Ray then.

Too bad the Home Alone Blu-ray didn't have an isolated score. Especially since the music sounded so much better than the CD in the SE DVD's 5.1 mix.

You should check out Fox's new Home Alone 2 BD, a great new DTS-HD mix that sounds superb!

• 7 months later...

The upcoming release of the first four ALIEN films on blu ray will have isolated scores!!

ALIEN [Additional material, COMPOSER'S ORIGINAL ISOLATED SCORE]

ALIEN [Additional material, FINAL THEATRICAL ISOLATED SCORE]

ALIENS [Additional material, ISOLATED SCORE TRACK BY JAMES HORNER]

ALIEN 3 [Additional material, THEATRICAL ISOLATED SCORE]

ALIEN RESURRECTION [Additional material, THEATRICAL ISOLATED SCORE]

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/recent/videos

Nope. The film version is "a martial drum pattern attributed to composer Harry Rabinowitz" according to the Varese liner notes.

Pretty sure the blu ray will have James Horner's original intended score, not the final film edit with all the tracking, editing, dialing out, and cues from other composers

Pretty sure the blu ray will have James Horner's original intended score, not the final film edit with all the tracking, editing, dialing out, and cues from other composers

You're probably right. Unfortunately, his cue sucks. I mean, it doesn't suck musically. But it doesn't fit the scene or the tone of the film.

• 3 months later...

Some notes from Mike Mattessino about the upcoming Alien saga blu rays... including confirmation that the film version of the combat drop scene will be on there!

Best available material was used and all the ALIEN iso-score tracks will be 5.1 DTS-MA.

For both ALIEN RESURRECTION and ALIEN 3 I was given existing 5.1 sources, RESURRECTION the original scoring material and ALIEN 3 the finished 5.1 stem (prior to volume potting but already edited). A few additions were made to that from the soundtrack master, those bits up-mixed 2.0 to 5.1.

ALIEN and ALIENS are repurposed/up-mixed, ALIEN from the 4-track discovered in 2007 and ALIENS from the 1/4" 2-track master mixes. The film version of "Landing Preparations" (by Harry Rabinowitz) was located on a DA88 that had the mono music stem and was up-mixed from that.

Mike

even more good news!

Using what is now a comprehensive set of documentation, the first iso-score on ALIEN will present the music as closely as possible to Goldsmith's original intent within the restriction of having to conform it to the finished cut of the film.

Mike

I CANNOT WAIT for this set!

SWEET JESUS, YES!!! :ola::shakehead::lol:

Wait, for Alien 3, does "theatrical isolated score" mean the feature will only appear in the theatrical cut of the film?

I don't know! I just want the film version of "The Entrapment"! It's 10x more epic :P

"The Entrapment" is comprised of three different cues; I assume you mean the music heard when Ripley turns on the sprinklers, for indeed that sounds much more galvanizing in the film. :)

Either way, for now the best way to preserve the complete score would be to rip the unreleased cues in the isolated score and combine w/ the unedited tracks from the OOP score album.

"The Entrapment" is comprised of three different cues; I assume you mean the music heard when Ripley turns on the sprinklers, for indeed that sounds much more galvanizing in the film. :)

Either way, for now the best way to preserve the complete score would be to rip the unreleased cues in the isolated score and combine w/ the unedited tracks from the OOP score album.

Ah, you have bested me in your Alien 3 knowledge. That's what I meant. Best part of the score ;)

I LOVE!!! the cue when Ripley turns on the sprinklers. Probably the musical highlight of the entire film, and one of the best musical moments in the series. WTF was with the album version of that cue?

So exciting! :) To think this blu-ray set isn't just 4 movies in HD, it's 15 hours of documentaries, 6 individual complete isolated scores, and thousands upon thousands of photos. Worth $60AU in my opinion. ;)

I LOVE!!! the cue when Ripley turns on the sprinklers. Probably the musical highlight of the entire film, and one of the best musical moments in the series. WTF was with the album version of that cue?

I think the album version was literally just the strings w/o ANY of the instrumental overdubs :P

Or some kind of horrible original version...

Alien3 is such a maligned score. I'd love to hear some in-depth liner notes about how it was recorded. Would love to hear the original finale cue, too. Probably long gone now though.

Hopefully, if I get to interview Goldenthal, I'll be sure to ask him those questions. :(

I would be very interested in hearing his thoughts!

I am insanely excited for the Alien set and so sad that I don't think I'll be able to afford it for awhile. I've been asking family members to contribute to my "Alien Anthology fund." No luck so far... :P

• 1 month later...

Saw some brief reviews of the Alien blu ray on FSM today:

It features two isolated scores in Dolby Diital 5.1 (Final Theatrical Isolated Score and Composer's Original Isolated Score). It includes a complete music index for both isolated scores which lists all the cues. You can watch the whole film with these cues or watch the scenes in which these cues are used, you can make your own playlists and there's also an option to randomly watch the scenes. A pretty neat feature on this fantastic release.

As was reported, there are isolated scores (5.1) for all of the films.

ALIEN *and* ALIENS both have two isolated score tracks, one for the final theatrical versions and another for the "intended" original score. Both have pop-up information on what track is playing while you're watching.

3 and RESURRECTION have one isolated score track.

This set is outstanding!

Also, Frank V has posted the track list of the Alien isolated score and will post the others soon:

Complete Music Index from the blu-ray of Alien:

FINAL THEATRICAL ISOLATED SCORE

01. Main Title - New (1M2New) 4:01
02. Hypersleep - New (1M3New) 2:53
03. The Landing (Edited) 3:18
04. Main Title (Segments) (Replace "The Terrain" & "The Craft") 3:08
05. The Passage (Edited) 1:22
06. The Skeleton (Edited) 2:14
07. The Terrain - New (And "The Terrain") (Tracked Music) (3M1New & 3M1) 1:50
08. Main Title (Segments) (Kane Approaches Eggs) 1:15
09. Hanging On - New (5M1New) 2:58
10. The Lab 1:03
11. Eine Kleine Nachtmuzik (Edited) 0:47
12. The Landing (Segment) (Lift Off Sequence) 1:26
13. Nothing to Say (Edited) 1:14
14. Catnip (Edited / Removed) 0:51
15. Here Kitty (Edited) 0:37
16. Nothing to Say (Segment) (Dallas Computer Scene) 1:17
17. Here Kitty (Segment) (Ash Attacks Ripley) 1:04
18. It's a Droid (Segment) 0:24
19. Constant High Strings (Loop from "The Passage") and Parker's Death 1:55
20. Sleepy Alien (Segment) 0:36
21. To Sleep (As on Track #1) 1:56
22. In the Cupboard - New (13M1New) 3:16
23. Out the Door - New (13M2New) 2:03
24. End Title 2:48
25. Bonus Cue: The Skeleton - New (4M2New) 2:11
26. Bonus Cue: The Eggs (11M2) 2:22

COMPOSER'S ORIGINAL ISOLATED SCORE

01. Main Title (1M2) 4:07
02. Hypersleep (1M3) 2:52
03. The Landing (2M1) 4:52
04. The Terrain (3M1) 2:08
05. The Craft (3M2) 0:59
06. The Passage (4M1) 1:26
07. The Skeleton (4M2) 1:56
08. A New Face (4M3) 2:41
09. Hanging On (5M1) 3:37
10. The Lab (6M1) 1:11
11. Eine Kleine Nachtmuzik (6M2) 1:31
12. Drop Out (6M3) 1:07
13. Nothing to say (7M1&1A) 1:45
14. Catnip (7M2) 1:16
15. Here Kitty (8M1) 2:14
16. The Shaft (9M1) 4:38
17. It's a Droid (10M1) 3:38
18. Parker's Death (11M1) 1:49
19. Sleepy Alien (12M1) 1:04
20. To Sleep (12M2) 2:05
21. In the Cupboard (13M1) 3:14
22. Out the Door (13M2) 2:16
23. End Title (13M3) 2:46

That should be basically the same isolated score that appeared on the original Alien DVD. The only difference is that it's in 5.1.

Actually, not, not at all!

On the old DVD, the isolated score track was kind of a hybrid of the final edited cues and the original cues, with a second track of alternate cues and other sound effects and stuff.

On this new blu ray, there are TWO COMPLETE isolated scores - the first matching the final cue of the film completely, with all the edits, removals, rescores, tracked music, music from other sources, etc. The second will for the first time allow to us to hear Jerry's ORIGINAL INTENDED score, synced to picture as best as possible (since the film was massively edited after he originally scored it).

So, both will be a HUGE improvement over the old isolated tracks - not only for content, but also quality, as completely different source material (the material used for the 2007 Intrada set) was located after the iso tracks were made for the old dvd

Hopefully lossless, too.

If it's really "Dolby Digital 5.1", then no.

On this new blu ray, there are TWO COMPLETE isolated scores - the first matching the final cue of the film completely, with all the edits, removals, rescores, tracked music, music from other sources, etc. The second will for the first time allow to us to hear Jerry's ORIGINAL INTENDED score, synced to picture as best as possible (since the film was massively edited after he originally scored it).

The DVD also had TWO iso scores, and both match your descriptions. They may of course have improved the editing or even the assembly of the two scores.

The old isolated scores do NOT match my description. They were different and far inferior to these new ones.

I'm a little confused, Intrada did not use the same sources that were used for the original Alien iso tracks. Or did I misread your post?

yea, that's what I was saying.... that inferior source material was used for the old DVDs, and it wasn't until the 2007 Intrada set was being worked on that pristine source material was found, as well as perfect notes on how it was all supposed to be used

Correct, I was just making sure.

I'm excited to hear Alien 3's score, especially regarding the recent comments that the material is in poor shape so an actual release might be impossible.

I believe they were posted over at FSM in one of the LaLaLand threads, they originated from one of the DVD review sites.

Complete Music Index from the blu-ray of Aliens:

FINAL THEATRICAL ISOLATED SCORE

01. Twentieth Century Fox Fanfare 0:16

02. "Main Title" - Shuttle Discovered 2:52

03. Crew Enters Shuttle 0:53

04. Est. Gateway Station 0:33

05. Ripley's Nightmare 1:05

06. Ripley Holds Jones 0:24

07. Ripley Is In / Transition to Sulaco 0:45

08. Sulaco Credits Planet 0:20

09. Landing Preparation Sequence Pt. 1 0:59

10. Landing Preparation Sequence Pt. 2 1:56

11. "The Complex" (Edited) 1:15

12. "Searching Levels" (Edited) 2:53

13. Ripley Enters Complex - Into Med Lab 1:35

14. Marines Detect Newt Moving 0:42

15. Bishop Exam / Colonists Found 1:00

16. APC to Atmosphere Processor 0:44

17. Marines Enter Alien Hive 1:39

18. Chestbuster Victim 2:41

19. Aliens Emerge 1:00

20. Aliens Attack - Ripley Rescue Sequence 5:49

21. Ripley Joins Newt Under Bed 0:43

22. Facehugger Attack in Med Lab 4:24

23. Lights Go Off In Operations 0:21

24. Group Seals Up Operations 0:37

25. Aliens Approach OPS Via Ceiling 0:38

26. Fight In OPS - Escape In Vents 5:15

27. Explosion Makes Newt Fall 0:42

28. Alien Takes Newt 1:38

29. "Ripley Prepares" (Film Edit) 3:00

30. Ripley Finds Newt In Hive 1:43

31. Ripley Confronts Queen 1:36

32. Ripley Destroys Hive 1:15

33. Queen Towards Elevator ("Sleepy Alien" & "Parker's Death" from Alien) 1:20

34. "Escape" (Edited) 1:20

35. "False End" (Edited) 0:50

36. "Bishop Stabbed" (Edited) 2:12

37. "Opening Air Lock" (As On Iso Track #1) 0:17

38. Queen Shot Into Space 0:50

39. "End Title" (Edited) 4:09

40. Bonus Cue: "Bad Dreams" (Alternate) 1:25

41. Bonus Cue: "The Jordens" (Special Edition Version) 2:07

42. Bonus Cue: "Alright, I'm In" (Special Edition Version) 2:03

43. Bonus Cue: "Landing Preparations" (Percussion Only Version) 3:23

44. Bonus Cue: "Ripley to Rescue" (Percussion Only Version) 3:18

45. Bonus Cue: "Ripley Prepares" (Special Edition Version - Segment) 3:20

COMPOSER'S ORIGINAL ISOLATED SCORE

01. Main Title (1M1) 5:19

02. Bad Dream (1M3) 1:22

03. Alright, I'm In (4M1) 1:13

04. Landing Preparations (5M1) 3:29

05. Landing Drop (6M1) 1:34

06. Searching Levels (6M2/7M1) 2:46

07. Med Lab (7M2) 2:14

08. Atmosphere Station (8M2) 1:14

09. Sub-Lever 3 (5M1) 6:39

10. Ripley to Rescue (9AM1) 3:18

11. Facehuggers (13M1) 4:26

12. Battle In Operations (14M1) 8:24

13. Alien Takes Newt (15M1) 2:05

14. Ripley Prepares (15M1A) 2:58

15. Egg Chamber (Comp. Robert Garrett) (16M1) 1:46

16. Escape / False End (17M1/17MX) 2:51

17. Bishop Stabbed (18MA) 2:16

18. Opening Air Lock (18MB) 0:17

19. End Titles (18M1) 5:36

Does anyone know if the isolated score for Alien 3 accompanies both versions of the film?

The isolated scores on all films are only available on the theatrical cuts.

The isolated scores on all films are only available on the theatrical cuts.

Aw, crap. Now we'll never get the cue heard when Clemens discovers Ripley on the beach and carries her inside. :)