People who clap at a JW concert when a "famous" melody starts

Beowulf

What the f*ck is it with orchestral concerts having to be relegated to "must be stiff and quiet" status? And this "shush-up to be respectful" crap.

The realm of concert music has historically been about loud clapping, cheering, and having a great time. Contrary to what movies tell you, people did not sit around like they would suffer massive hemorrhoid pain if they so much as took in too much air.

It wasn't until the 1890s+ that concert-goers and composers became puritans/Victorian.

That's true. Franz Liszt concerts were known for being "boisterous" - a kind way of putting it.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the people who clap when they hear their favorite bit of music are paid by the group and the concert hall to devalue any illegal bootleg recordings that are being made of that concert, by having such "noise" present...

At the opera, some singers actually do pay people for providing special applause for them.

I'm sure those people are just feeling overly enthusiastic towards their music. Just like the people who sing and clap overly loud at rock concerts, although they forget that film music at a concert hall is much quieter and more formal than a rock concert, so many more people will hear such interactions and take offense to them.

The difference being, at a rock concert it's part of the atmosphere. With an orchestral concert, there's too much stuff you miss when people get noisy, also the pieces are usually structured in a more climactic way so noise distracts from the experience.

It's a mark of some of the great performances that the conductor and orchestra manage to capture the audience so much nobody dares to make a noise after the music is over, before the conductor turns around. Celibidache and Thielemann for example were/are able to draw this out for I'd say 15 seconds or longer. The ultimate applause is no less enthusiastic (the opposite... if the work had such an impact that everybody kept quiet, you can safely expect a lot of applause), but it gives you time to digest the music.

Regular annoyance: People at the opera starting to applaud as soon as the curtain closes, even though the orchestra is still playing the final chords.

It is rude to cheer or clap during an orchestral piece, whether it is a "classical" or "pops" program. Symphonic concerts are not rock concerts, the music isn't amplified like it is at rock concerts. The music itself is different and every detail needs to be heard. Unfortunately, a lot of audience members at pops concerts don't know this and treat it like a rock concert.

The absolute best reaction is dead silence during the piece and a raucous, bring the house down ovation as soon as the music ends.

Regular annoyance: People at the opera starting to applaud as soon as the curtain closes, even though the orchestra is still playing the final chords.

That's as bad as people getting up in the cinema the moment the director's credit appears, even if it plays over the film.

- Marc, who had to miss most of the gunbarrel in Quantum of Solace because the two bumholes in front of him got up the moment the James Bond theme started playing. :angry:

Blah blah blah. Puritanical Victorian!

So, last year when I saw Beethoven's 7th and was sitting in a box just a few feet away from the orchestra and two deep voiced old men were carrying on a conversation during the second movement I had no right to expect silence? Please. I'm tired of people acting like they are sitting on their own couch when at the sympony hall or movie theater. I paid to come and see/hear the show not listen to incessant babbling and candy wrappers.

I think we can agree there is a big difference in some asshole(s) talking during a concert compared to the audience prematurely applauding to show their appreciation for a cue.

- Marc, who had to miss most of the gunbarrel in Quantum of Solace because the two bumholes in front of him got up the moment the James Bond theme started playing. :angry:

Oh man I hate that. When I saw Slumdog Millionaire with my friend, people started leaving at the beginning of the dance number at the end. So the people all the way in the back started standing up and blocking the screen.

I've also seen instances where people leave when they think the movie is about to end. The credits haven't even appeared, but the film goes into a final shot or the music starts to build up, and then they start to leave. WTF?

I stay during the whole slideshow credits, and then usually leave when the rolling credits start. Occasionally I'll stay through all of them, especially if it's something that might have a little bonus at the end.

I remember the look Goldsmith gave me at the Albert Hall in 2001 after he played the Voyager theme. I was the only one cheering and giving a standing ovation. I nearly soiled myself when he looked at me. Steef was mortified and eventually had to grab me from behind to sit down. We were sitting under his podium. It was heaven.

I remember the look Goldsmith gave me at the Albert Hall in 2001 after he played the Voyager theme. I was the only one cheering and giving a standing ovation. I nearly soiled myself when he looked at me. Steef was mortified and eventually had to grab me from behind to sit down. We were sitting under his podium. It was heaven.

:angry: Funny thing is I can see that happening.

I think we can agree there is a big difference in some asshole(s) talking during a concert compared to the audience prematurely applauding to show their appreciation for a cue.

Not really, either a person is quiet and respectful or they are not. Either way it is a distraction. You can't tell an audience that it is ok to cheer at any time but not to talk. I couldn't tell you what the men were talking about because they were "trying" to be quiet, but everyone around could hear the deep murmuring. Are you saying that if they were talking about the music it would be ok? What if every piece of music I heard I just kept shouting, "OOOH! I love this part!" all throughout. Technically I'm cheering, but is it not a distraction to other people around me. Then there are people that hum and tap, they are sort of cheering too by singing along, is that ok?

With pops concerts, I don't mind cheering towards the end of a piece since they are essentially finished anway and the way Williams closes out his big themes and such practically begs for it. But to do it at the beginning and to laugh at Jaws and that kind of thing is insulting.

I think John's gesture makes it pretty clear what he thinks of this type of audience.

Kind of a slap in the face for a composer who wants to be considered serious. It is NOT repeat NOT a rock concert!

edit: fixed link, thx to indy4

What the f*ck is it with orchestral concerts having to be relegated to "must be stiff and quiet" status? And this "shush-up to be respectful" crap.

The realm of concert music has historically been about loud clapping, cheering, and having a great time. Contrary to what movies tell you, people did not sit around like they would suffer massive hemorrhoid pain if they so much as took in too much air.

It wasn't until the 1890s+ that concert-goers and composers became puritans/Victorian.

That's true. Franz Liszt concerts were known for being "boisterous" - a kind way of putting it.

I heard that women went crazy at Liszt concerts and proceeded to throw their pantaloons at him after performances (or was it gloves? Pantaloons sounds much more fun).

well, i just remember seeing a video from one of Williams concerts and the people started applauding when the piece was still not finished, there remained about 20 seconds of strings fade out. Maybe even had a final floruish that could not be heard correctly.

I would picture Williams and the musicians getting annoyed by this.

Of course after the piece al the ovations and applauses are fine.

well, i just remember seeing a video from one of Williams concerts and the people started applauding when the piece was still not finished, there remained about 20 seconds of strings fade out. Maybe even had a final floruish that could not be heard correctly.

Yeah, that happened with the new version of "Irina's Theme." It's too bad. Williams took a chance by ending a piece softly, but the audience didn't pick up on it.

Yeah, that happened with the new version of "Irina's Theme." It's too bad. Williams took a chance by ending a piece softly, but the audience didn't pick up on it.

yeah it was probably that one.

3 choices of what to do when applauding at the concert hall:

1) If you know the piece, you start applauding when you know it's over. (although there was this guy in the audience some weeks ago when I went to see the Corigliano Red Violin Concerto, this guy thought he knew the work... but he didn't, because he started clapping before the end, to which others followed, and they really ruined the climax, because there's silence before Joshua Bell started to play his final glissando, which I couldn't hear that thanks to this happening).

2) If you don't know the piece, wait until the conductor takes his baton down. This works 100% of the times, so don't be afraid to wait until that moment.

3) If you're lost with the previous advices, just wait until the rest of the audience starts the applause.

3 choices of what to do when applauding at the concert hall:

1) If you know the piece, you start applauding when you know it's over. (although there was this guy in the audience some weeks ago when I went to see the Corigliano Red Violin Concerto, this guy thought he knew the work... but he didn't, because he started clapping before the end, to which others followed, and they really ruined the climax, because there's silence before Joshua Bell started to play his final glissando, which I couldn't hear that thanks to this happening).

2) If you don't know the piece, wait until the conductor takes his baton down. This works 100% of the times, so don't be afraid to wait until that moment.

3) If you're lost with the previous advices, just wait until the rest of the audience starts the applause.

I like it. This should be a charter that is posted outside all Classical music-related concerts (including film scores) and audiences should be made explicitly aware of them.

I do that also for works I know, as long as nobody starts applauding earlier. As I said above, if a conductor can hold the silence between the end of a work and his "release" of the orchestra, it's quite magical.

I do that also for works I know, as long as nobody starts applauding earlier. As I said above, if a conductor can hold the silence between the end of a work and his "release" of the orchestra, it's quite magical.

Unless the works ends with a fff. That cries out for an instant ovation. :angry:

I like it. This should be a charter that is posted outside all Classical music-related concerts (including film scores) and audiences should be made explicitly aware of them.

That's a good idea, but not sure if it will be of any use. Remember all the warning prior to the performance to turn off all phone devices... and yet you always hear some ringtone during the concert.

Remember all the warning prior to the performance to turn off all phone devices... and yet you always hear some ringtone during the concert.

Oh, how I wanted to strangle the person whose cell phone began to play "He's a Pirate" in the middle of the Reno Philharmonic Orchestra's performance of "Night on a Bald Mountain"....

It annoys me, definitely, but not to the point of wanting to kill someone. When I go to a concert, I accept the inevitable fact that a certain percentage of the audience members think showing their enthusiasm is more important than hearing the music we've paid for, and I try to just have a good time. Home listening experiences are where I pick through the details and really appreciate them.

It's annoying when they laugh at JAWS and when they cheer when the Raiders melody starts up after the first few bars of the famous rhythm. They also laugh at the Mission NBC News Theme every time. Did they not expect to recognize any of his music? I seriously think half the people who go to John Williams concerts have no idea what they are in for. They are just "bluehairs", season ticket holders and their families who think they are cultured.

I had to endure 2 middle aged new england ladies screaming "COME AWN JAWN, PLAY STAH WAHS!!!" right behind me for an hour in Tanglewood. I felt like Peter Griffin was suddenly less appealing.

I don't understand why anyone would laugh at Jaws. What's so funny about it?

Well, laughter can express uneasiness or mild fear, on the one hand...but also, it's become such a cliche that a lot of people don't really even think about the fact that it's a leitmotif like any other in a film score, one that can be performed just like any other piece of music.

Once, when JW finished conducting (and I mean he actually finished) "The Imperial March," somebody shouted "We love you John!" Everybody laughed, and JW chuckled and replied "Thank you."

I don't understand why anyone would laugh at Jaws. What's so funny about it?

The iconic simple melody instantly evokes images of a rubber shark and three drunk guys singing on a boat.

I'm split on this issue. On the one hand, it is annoying when people start applauding before a piece is over and it disrupts the experience. On the other hand people just get stoked when they hear the Star Wars title begin or the Raiders March, myself included. Last concert several members of the orchestra had smiles on their face when people cheered Raiders. The cheers usually come from the "cheap seats" at Boston hall (I know because I'm always down front and no one over there cheers/claps at those times). I don't give a crap because usually I'd join them if it wouldn't make me look like an ass.

Unless the works ends with a fff. That cries out for an instant ovation. ;)

Bruckner (the unfinished 9th excepted) always ends loud, yet nowhere has a silence after the symphony a greater effect. I heard it live with Thielemann, and some Celibidache recordings show it, too: The 7th is impressive, with a long pause of nothing, and then an impressive lot of shouts and screams. :) It's a shame they couldn't include the applause on his recording of the 4th (lasting 78 minutes and completely filling CD, leaving no room for that kind of stuff), the last two minutes of which I still consider the best bit of music ever recorded.

I can remember way back when I was a little kid, and a teacher telling us, "Now children, you'll know you're listening to jazz music because after certain sections of the piece, the audience will applaud."

;)

Once, when JW finished conducting (and I mean he actually finished) "The Imperial March," somebody shouted "We love you John!" Everybody laughed, and JW chuckled and replied "Thank you."

I remember that one indy, I was there (it ended up on my bootleg). I was torn between being embarrassed to be a human being, and being jealous that I didn't do it. Strange. But the Hollywood Bowl is always annoying like that.

I'll forgive applause and all of that. The one thing I cannot forgive is when someone pulls out a candy or snack that is contained in a crinkly plastic wrapping, and commences to undo it during the piece. They KNOW they're wrong, they know everyone can hear it, and yet they're so impulsive and annoying that they can't wait until a concert is over before ripping open their snack for consumption.

It does my nut in! I hate it when people do it!

I Havent seen 'The John Williams' in concert but ive been to concerts of his music, people laughed at the jaws theme when it was played, i sat there asking myself... WHY!!!!????

and people where laughing at the Imperial March when the stormtroopers where there, this annoyed me and ruined the enjoyment of the peice

People at the O2 arena in April for the Star Wars musical journey better just shut up! and be quiet!

It was in Birmingham, they didnt do it with any other peice, just my favourite ;)

Vader was on the Balcony, Stormtroopers marched through the crowd and on stage.

I remember that one indy, I was there (it ended up on my bootleg). I was torn between being embarrassed to be a human being, and being jealous that I didn't do it. Strange. But the Hollywood Bowl is always annoying like that.

;):)

Laughter can be a sign of recognition. In the case of the Mission theme, people laugh because it's something they are familiar with.

The same with Jaws, it's so familiar you can't help but smile or chuckle. When Williams received the Kennedy honor the audience laughed when Jaws was played but they also had great respect for Williams.

When John C. and I attended the Austin Wind Symphony video game concert the audience laughed/chuckled when they started playing the theme for the old NES Mario Brothers game. Even John and I chuckled. It's a sign of recognition.

You can't tell me that no one here has never watched something and heard something so familiar a smile came to their face, well some people might laugh or chuckle out loud.

Like I said, it's better to have the audience clap every once and awhile, enjoying themselves, compared to talking or being truly disruptive.

Vader was on the Balcony, Stormtroopers marched through the crowd and on stage.

Well people should still keep themselves under control and not laugh. But nevertheless, having geeks walk around the hall in film costumes is basically an invitation to laugh. It would be ok on a Star Wars convention, but in a music concert (where many people may not like or even know the films) it's ridiculous.