Danny Elfman scores 'Terminator: Salvation'

Charlie Brigden

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a simple theme, no denying that, but when put in the context of the ideas in the film I find it effective and haunting.

But if you've never seen the film then it's understandable that the ideas and 'realities' that make the theme so iconic go amiss.

But if you've never seen the film then it's understandable that the ideas and 'realities' that make the theme so iconic go amiss.

Oh, I have seen both of the Brad Fiedel-scored films, and I think he made two great film scores, but like the majority of Jerry Goldsmith's output, I do not find much if any pleasure in listening to them as pieces of music.

It's no lie, the two first Terminator scores are tough to listen to. There's a lot of loud techno sounding electronic noise. But the melodies are there, and the scores can be poignant and pleasant when they want to be.

I have to say that I agree. Perhaps I was born too late for it to make an impact, but I feel nothing when I hear it, and I cannot recall a single note of the theme. Honestly, even if Elfman did reference the famous Brad Fiedel theme, I would probably not recognize it.

How does it make no impact?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXQTzJgU6qc

One of the best opening credit sequences ever. The T-800 skull emerging from the flames with its baleful staring red eyes and the clanging anvils in the background was fantastic. There's a reason Cameron is a legend.

I have to say that I agree. Perhaps I was born too late for it to make an impact, but I feel nothing when I hear it, and I cannot recall a single note of the theme. Honestly, even if Elfman did reference the famous Brad Fiedel theme, I would probably not recognize it.

How does it make no impact?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXQTzJgU6qc

One of the best opening credit sequences ever. The T-800 skull emerging from the flames with its baleful staring red eyes and the clanging anvils in the background was fantastic. There's a reason Cameron is a legend.

The look of that playground on fire is overwhelming. The only thing I don't like about the music is that synthesized choir...

I really like Fiedel's main theme, particular the way it's implemented in T2. Can't say I'm fond of all the synthesizers, and I find most of his underscoring just plain annoying, but the musical ideas presented in the main theme are very poignant for me. Something about the theme really conveys the careful balance between futility and hope in the films. I'd really like to hear it given a full orchestral treatment, perhaps with minimal use of synthesizers to tastefully augment the sound.

I'd really like to hear it given a full orchestral treatment, perhaps with minimal use of synthesizers to tastefully augment the sound.

Check out Beltrami's end credits from T3 then

Terminator Salvation was a mediocre film with a bad score. I never liked Elfman scores, but he rarely wrote something that uninspired. The new main theme does nothing to me and isn't even original. It is just a weak ripoff of the original Brad Fiedel Main theme.

Additionally the music was mixed badly in the movie...

I don't get why some of you claim that the fiedel main theme was in the movie. (Then it would have had at least some kickass music moments). There only was

the start of the main theme, the short badamdamdadam motif three times overdubbed (!!!) in it.

That ISN'T the Original MAIN theme, it's just a motif

Of all the things I'd call it, 'bad score' most definitely ain't one of them. I can't get the 2 themes out of my head and the underscore just needed a little time to fully appreciate.

do you guys think its possible there is coming a complete score of "salvation"

i like the ost but the some great cues from the film are missing, so a complete score would be great.

I'm hoping more for complete or expanded soundtracks from the first two films to either a) leak out, or b) be officially released in a Terminator soundtrack box set (ideally).

I'm hoping more for complete or expanded soundtracks from the first two films to either a) leak out, or b) be officially released in a Terminator soundtrack box set (ideally).

THE TERMINATOR is officially available essentially complete (it's advertised as complete but it doesn't have the end credits).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Terminator-Brad-Fi...2914&sr=1-3

Oh, off the top of my head, we're missing:

-the cue heard when the Terminator visits the gun & ammo shop

-the cue heard when Kyle Reese saws off a police shotgun

-the cue heard when Sarah drives away from the parking lot and Reese follows her

-the cue heard when the Terminator

kills Matt and Ginger

-portions of "Garage Chase" that were edited out for some reason

Oh, off the top of my head, we're missing:

-the cue heard when the Terminator visits the gun & ammo shop

-the cue heard when Kyle Reese saws off a police shotgun

-the cue heard when Sarah drives away from the parking lot and Reese follows her

-the cue heard when the Terminator

kills Matt and Ginger

-portions of "Garage Chase" that were edited out for some reason

Weird. Never noticed.

Terminator Salvation was a mediocre film with a bad score. I never liked Elfman scores, but he rarely wrote something that uninspired. The new main theme does nothing to me and isn't even original. It is just a weak ripoff of the original Brad Fiedel Main theme.

Additionally the music was mixed badly in the movie...

I don't get why some of you claim that the fiedel main theme was in the movie. (Then it would have had at least some kickass music moments). There only was

the start of the main theme, the short badamdamdadam motif three times overdubbed (!!!) in it.

That ISN'T the Original MAIN theme, it's just a motif

I'm with ya. I think it's a terrible score.

I listened to it.

It's a mediocre score that's still above the normal MV drivel . I'd never notice "unreleased music" ,nor would I care about it.

No kiddin', everyone on here is like "Oh I loved it after about 10 listens." A score shouldn't have to do that IMO.

As for unreleased music, I didn't think there was enough music in the film to begin with.

In your opinion, if you're not doing backflips over a soundtrack within the first 0.05 seconds it means it's a piece of gopher crap that you could never possibly enjoy for eternity and beyond.

Note that the extreme hyperbole means I'm joking.

Mostly.

:lol:

I think a good score should have a few tracks that grab you right away..then the quieter stuff can grow on you.

If nothing clicks on first listen it's not a good sign

I suppose that is your opinion, and you can think whatever you want, but I have to honestly say that I am very glad I do not think the way you do. Please do not take any offense from that, I mean none.

No kiddin', everyone on here is like "Oh I loved it after about 10 listens." A score shouldn't have to do that IMO.

Why? Many great scored did. Most of my JW experiences were like that. Not that I disliked the music, but I didn't love it either. Only after some time did it grow on me.

The same goes for people - when you meet someone, you may not like that person at first or not find him/her attractive, but you end up having great friend or marrying one...

All I can say is that I'm glad I've given some music multiple chances. There are some really top-notch scores that I had little interest in at first...it was only because I didn't write them off immediately that I can obtain so much enjoyment from them now.

I enjoyed a few tracks from TS right away. It just took a few listens to identify the themes, and appreciate the underscore more.

That's a routine I've come to get used to. If after several listens I still want to turn off a track halfway through, or forget it was even playing, that's the sign that it sucks.

I think a good score should have a few tracks that grab you right away..then the quieter stuff can grow on you.

And that's exactly what happened with TS. Opening and Final Confrontation grabbed me immediately. Maybe it took a quieter environment to fully appreciate the quieter stuff.

If you're trying to do your usual JW comparison, it's not working.

Every once and awhile I like to play iQuiz on the iPod and same/similar track titles can make it difficult.

I had very low expectations for the film but surprisingly I enjoyed it. I though the CG was pretty damn good especially for how Arnold as the T-800 ( I think?) makes an appearance, it had me convinced it was actually Arnold.

Regarding the score, it definitely isn't something memorable. I did hear the Fiedel theme statement at the beginning of the Main Titles...but those could have been overdubs as stated earlier by another poster. In fact I think this is the dullest score Elfman has put out in recent years.

I think the best rendition of Fiedel's Terminator theme is the re-recording Beltrami did for Terminator 3 with full orchestra. Now that kicked ass.

I cannot stand Marco Beltrami.

After hearing it on the album, I find it one of his best in recent years - way better than Hellboy II and better than Wanted.

I like it, but in no way is it as good as HELLBOY II.

I think the best rendition of Fiedel's Terminator theme is the re-recording Beltrami did for Terminator 3 with full orchestra. Now that kicked ass.

I found it to be rather limp. T2's opening and end credits however...not THAT kicked ass

If you want to hear a good performance of Fiedel's theme, listen to Erich Kunzel's rendition with the Cincinnati Pops.

Yeah, that's a fairly good one. At least it gets the rhythm of the theme right - I don't like how Beltrami brings the 4th note in early - loses some of its robotic feel.

I still think it's a theme that belongs firmly in the realm of synths. Like Callery's 24 theme.

I think Beltrami's version just shows what it would have sounded like with a full real orchestra instead of it being synth. Personally, I love Beltrami's version.