The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

....As to what's more important... I'm not sure what you mean.

My question was referring to voice leading....for example if I want to move from a chord to another do I have to consider all three lead tones(reg. 2 in major)equaly?

How's The Wind and the Lion? I'm strongly considering buying the Intrada release, but I don't know the score very well. Is it worth it?

It's one of Jerry's best. If you have any love for his work don't even question, just get it.

John's right; it's one of his very best!!!! It's sweeping, urgent, and romantic. If you can hear samples, check out "Raisuli Attacks".

Thanks for the input on The Wind and the Lion, folks! I do think I'm gonna go for it. If anyone else disagrees, feel free to speak up soon. ;)

On average, how long does it take for... well... put it this way, why can't I listen to a choir-inclusive, sfx-free "Back From Black" yet?

Things leak when they leak, I'm afraid. My impression as an outsider is that usually, the source does a favor for one or two close friends, who then do the same for one or two friends of theirs at some point, and so on and so forth until a sort of critical mass is reached and everyone who wants it can get it. Often there are no-sharing promises made and broken along the way, but even perfectly honest people further down the food chain have no way to know whether their latest acquisition was "supposed" to get out. All they know is whether or not they were asked to keep it to themselves, and whether or not they themselves have enough integrity to be true to their word.

The good news (in a sense) is that with a little patience, a lot of the most desirable stuff does become available eventually, whether legitimately or not. A good example would be the HP:SS...footwarmer that became widely available not too long ago. That was something a lot of people desperately wanted for a long time (myself included), and it was probably just sitting on a few people's computers, and eventually the dam burst.

regarding the john williams cd 20th century masters, the millenium collection, are these recordings made for that cd or is a compilation.

if the latter, can anyone point the source, in case i already have them?

i posted this just before the server switch, so it may went unnoticed.

Anybody knows?

A friend told me that sometime ago, one of this board's members had some kind of a "popularity chart" for his signature in which he ranged other members' posts on this board from most to least interesting. I was told that I was also in this chart (what an honour!) so I thought I'd find out how low I ranked. :D But I can't seem to find who that is, or he doesn't use this in his signature anymore. Can anybody tell me who that was? :P

A friend told me that sometime ago, one of this board's members had some kind of a "popularity chart" for his signature in which he ranged other members' posts on this board from most to least interesting. I was told that I was also in this chart (what an honour!) so I thought I'd find out how low I ranked. :D But I can't seem to find who that is, or he doesn't use this in his signature anymore. Can anybody tell me who that was? :P

I think it was Blumenkohl but he has changed his signature many times after that. And no I was not mentioned on the list. :pfft:

Ah, thanks, Mikko. I guess it's not "archived" anywhere, is it? :P

And no I was not mentioned on the list. :pfft:

What daring! What outrageousness! What insolence! What arrogance!

;):D

Yeah, that was Blume. It was pretty funny. Wasn't that long ago, either...a few months, I think? I think I ranked in medium-priority...which I was okay with, since most of the top-priority members were jerks anyhow... ;)

Jurassic Park: The Adjusted Titles Addition:

1. Music Over The Logo (00:33)

2. Theme from Jurassic Park (03:27)

3. Raptor Attacks Handler & Muldoon Yells "Shoot Her!" / Alan Helps Tim Out Of A Tree / Ellie And Muldoon Look For Survivors (05:20)

4. Helicopter Flies To Island and Everyone Rides In Jeeps and See a Brachiosaurus (08:51)

5. The Raptors Chase The Kids In The Kitchen and Kill Muldoon with music that wasn't originally composed for that scene (02:49)

6. Alan, Ellie, Ian And Hammond Watch A Baby Raptor Hatch (03:21)

7. End Credits In The Middle Of The CD (07:55)

8. Hammond, Ellie, Genero,Ian and The Kids See A Sick Tricerotops and A Brachiosaurus Sneezes On Them (04:16)

9. Dennis Steals The Embryos By Putting Them In Shaving Creme Can (04:56)

10. Alan And The Kids Fall Asleep In A Tree (02:12)

11. Alan and The Kids Climb The Electrical Fence While Ellie Turns It On (04:08)

12. Hammond Talks About A Flee Circus While Ellie Eats Ice Cream (02:48)

13. The Tour Goes Through Massive Gates To Enter The Park (02:04)

14. They Attempt To Bait The T-Rex With A Goat And Ellie Runs To The Shed (06:32)

15. Raptors Chase Alan, Ellie and The Kids While They Restore The Power And The T-Rex Kills The Raptors (07:40)

16. Island Theme Appears At The End (03:25)

Can someone do this for the second half of the Prisoner of Azkaban soundtrack, please?

Yeah, I'd love to have that too although I have the original (which is somewhat falling apart, I might add :unsure:), but a PDF is such a handy format to take it with me on my laptop or even phone ... But if I remember correctly, somebody from FSM explicitely said that they will never publish this book in PDF format as too much work was put in it (which I can understand and even appreciate). So I guess our only chance would be if somebody had the time and nerve to scan the whole thing and put it somewhere online to download, though it would really be unfair to FSM and everybody involved with that masterpiece of a soundtrack box ... :blink:

I am outraged. How dare they post the 165 page booklet to The Blue Box online. I bought a second set of The Blue Box and threw the discs away just so I would have a second copy of the beautiful booklet as a spare.

Quick question.

In the track Brother of the Cruciform Sword from the Last Crusade.

@ :24-:45

is this the Nazi theme, just with a, I guess you could say, "Arabian" flair?

I know at the :46 mark it goes straight into the Nazi theme. Are my ears fooling me?!

I am outraged. How dare they post the 165 page booklet to The Blue Box online. I bought a second set of The Blue Box and threw the discs away just so I would have a second copy of the beautiful booklet as a spare.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat? I hope that was sarcasm, but it's often hard to tell on the internet...

Is Temple of Doom the only score of John Williams that has an official release, but does not contain the ACTUAL film end credits???

The OST that came out in 1984 does indeed have the ACTUAL end credits. Its just missing the first 32 seconds of the full piece (they are replaced by the first 26 seconds of "Return the Village")

The 1980 Empire Strikes Back OST contained an alternate version of the End Credits, with the film version not being released until the 1994 Anthology set.

E.T.'s End Credits weren't released until the 1998 expansion, and even then the film version not until the 2002 expansion.

There's an insert written for The Lost World's end credits that remains unreleased. A section of Harry Potter 3's end credits was micro-edited out of the OST. And the ending with Peter Pettigrew's Theme isn't on the OST either, though i dunno if that was tracked.

Well, it has the actual end credits...they're just on a bonus disc, and the beginning is missing.

That's wrong. The End credits is on the OST / the expanded Concord version / disc 2 of the box set. It's "Return to the Village" (well, anything beyond the first 26 seconds) that's only on the bonus disc

Off the top of my head, Hook is another one I can think of that's missing the end credits.

That's what I was going to say. First one that came to mind.

Well, it has the actual end credits...they're just on a bonus disc, and the beginning is missing.

That's wrong. The End credits is on the OST / the expanded Concord version / disc 2 of the box set. It's "Return to the Village" (well, anything beyond the first 26 seconds) that's only on the bonus disc

Oh, you're right, sorry about that. Shows you how often I listen to the unedited Concord set. :lol:

Off the top of my head, Hook is another one I can think of that's missing the end credits.

That's what I was going to say. First one that came to mind.

I'm not surprised. ;)

I listened to disc 2, 3, and 5 of the Concord set the other day..... yucko. Out of every CD in my entire collection, the only ones that I just HAVE to listen to in a custom and properly edited format instead of as-presented on CD*. Will never listen to them this way again. Blech.

*Actually, I'll probably never listen to the Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition as is again either

Is Temple of Doom the only score of John Williams that has an official release, but does not contain the ACTUAL film end credits???

The OST that came out in 1984 does indeed have the ACTUAL end credits. Its just missing the first 32 seconds of the full piece (they are replaced by the first 26 seconds of "Return the Village")

So wait, that version has the ACTUAL film credits. The shorter version of Short Rounds theme and the transition at the end that goes right into the percussion of the Raiders march?

Edit: I know the Short Round/Indy part that everyone loves is missing from ALL versions.

2nd Edit: Btw, this post is 1337. (Y)

Yea, it going right into the percussion in the film is simply because they edited out portions of the full end credits piece in the film; You could create the same edit yourself out of the album version.

Yea, sadly the Shorty/Indy counterpoint remains unreleased.

Yea, it going right into the percussion in the film is simply because they edited out portions of the full end credits piece in the film; You could create the same edit yourself out of the album version.

Yea, sadly the Shorty/Indy counterpoint remains unreleased.

Oh ok, see I always thought it was meant to be like that because it was to signify that Temple of Doom was just a small (yet significant) story in Indy's life. That it didn't deserve that soft transition like the others have. Temple of Doom is rough, and that straight into the percussion points to it. Good to know, I guess.

You know who did the edit with the British relief in the end credits. I believe the bootleg track is The Bridge/Finale & End Credits. Or is he or she a mystery man.

It used to be at http://musicby.jw-music.net/ because I had it bookmarked, and with FireFox, typing JW would take me there before this site, and that large photo of Williams shaking hands with Obama was unmistakable. But between then and now, the site doesn't work and all the MIDIs disappeared. Nuts, as I wanted to download them eventually. I've been collecting JW MIDIs since 1996 so it's back to doing it the hard way.