The official "I just saw an awesome concert" thread.

pixie_twinkle

Must have been awesome. I wish this concert didn't interfere with Krakow festival this year. I couldn't be there because of that.

Anyway, I've heard some David Arnold Bond music tonight (during this very festival). Just a few pieces - Ice Bandits being the most notable. And now I officially think he should be prosecuted for using electronics in those scores. Not only they date his music badly, but they cheapen quite a solid orchestral foundation. The cue I mentioned with live percussion kicked ass. And orchestral You Know My Name is better, too.

Karol

Last weekend, I saw the Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest live to projection concert with the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra, and it completely blew away my expectations. I'm working on a longer write-up of it that I should have up in a couple days.

They're having Gladiator live-to-projection presented here in Toronto at December, hopefully with the TSO. Really looking forward to it!

Yeah, maybe you'll get Lisa Gerrard as well. She was supposed to be here but, due to some health issues, is unable to perform. But then, I kind of look forward to Kaitlyn Lusk rendition - could be really interesting. If she's proven anything, it would be versatility.

Karol

I think we're getting Clara Sanabras. I like her, but not sure if she can provide the right earthiness of Gerrard's rendition.

Must have been awesome. I wish this concert didn't interfere with Krakow festival this year. I couldn't be there because of that.

Turned out to be one of the best Hollywood in Vienna installments for me.

As an encore after his speech, where he mentioned how important Vienna is a a city of music, he played Feels Like Home. Very touching.

The timing really was unfortunate though. I might have gone to see Goldenthal and Doyle in Prague, but Wednesday Prague, Thursday Vienna, Friday Prague seemed too stressful.

Anyway, I've heard some David Arnold Bond music tonight (during this very festival). Just a few pieces - Ice Bandits being the most notable. And now I officially think he should be prosecuted for using electronics in those scores. Not only they date his music badly, but they cheapen quite a solid orchestral foundation. The cue I mentioned with live percussion kicked ass. And orchestral You Know My Name is better, too.

Interesting. I never minded the electronic stuff, and I love the standard song version of the song. But I'm not the biggest Arnold fan (although he has his moments). I'm getting rather interested in his upcoming musical though.

Here's a YouTube version of the (half) Randy Newman concert:

http://youtu.be/TYWdNwixu_o?t=1h28m55s

Shortened, unfortunately, and missing the highlight (Newman's encore performance of Feels Like Home), but it has his magnificent award speech (I've linked directly to that bit).

(Actually, the speech has been shortened as well, sadly)

• 3 months later...

Well, this is more like the concert I'll be seeing, once I get the tickets, but it seems I'm going to attend my first film music concert with a John Williams programme next Sunday morning.

I was a bit reluctant because these are pieces i've heard a million times and i'd prefer if they had some other favourites of mine in the programme (like Hook, Schindler's List etc.), but anyway.

The programme is this:

- Adventures on Earth from E.T. ( I don't like it though that all the flying sequence music has been cut off in this version :( )

- Selections from Jurassic park (i'm sure this will be just the theme which is available in the Hal Leonard edition. I don't think there are other pieces available for orchestras to perform)*

- Harry potter Music (Ι have a hunch this will be the children's suite, because the concert is part of a children's concert cycle and is more addressed to families from what I've understood)

- Indiana Jones 4 suite..

- Excerpts from Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi

The funny thing about this concert is that it says it has a narration!

I hope we will not have any unpleasant surpises and the narration is on top of the music and they just meant a short prologue before each piece/suite)

unless it's this Harry Potter suite here with narration:

http://www.jw-collection.de/compilations/filmnight08.htm

*Oh, maybe it's this?

had never heard this suite.

And to hear the opening without synths.. Interesting..

I wonder if the sheet music is this:

http://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.do?itemid=4499711&lid=4&keywords=jurassic%20park&subsiteid=1&

Other suites are for concert band

edit: yes it is.

Yeah that long 12-13 minute suite has been recorded a couple of times I think. I have the recording of the Orlando Pops Orchestra on album The Magic of John Williams and the performance leaves a lot to be desired.

Yeah that long 12-13 minute suite has been recorded a couple of times I think. I have the recording of the Orlando Pops Orchestra on album The Magic of John Williams and the performance leaves a lot to be desired.

I've heard 2-3 renditions of this suite in youtube, and they ALL play the theme in a much faster tempo! I hope it won't be the case in the concert I'm going to attend. It's not good. The theme isn't given any space to breathe...

Also, the pianists seem to play some "wrong" notes in the piano rendition towards the end and i'm starting to think that this is how it's written.

Why on earth the arrangers change notes??

• 4 months later...

Thinking about seeing Coheed and Cambria on Sunday (they are playing IKSSE3 all the way through). Anybody ever seen them?

I think you and I are the only members that regularly go to non-film music concerts :P

Saw Ingrid Michaelson tonight at Wolf Trap. Incredible show. My girlfriend got me into her by taking me to one of her concerts last year, but her studio albums lack the oomph of her live performances. She did this really cool mash up of a bunch of different popular songs, sung simultaneously by each of her band members.

While there, I checked out the venue's line up for the rest of the Summer and they have some big names! The B-52s, Peter Frampton and Cheap Trick, ZZ Top, Santana, Weird Al, even A.R. Rahman was there earlier this week. Not to mention live to projection screenings of Back To The Future and Star Trek 09.

The funny thing about this concert is that it says it has a narration!

I hope we will not have any unpleasant surpises and the narration is on top of the music and they just meant a short prologue before each piece/suite)

Many of these concerts have a presenter, who talks about the pieces they're playing. Apparently, people still believe film music can't stand on its own and can only be listened to if someone first tells you why you're listening to it.

I'm seeing Weird Al on Saturday at Foxwoods!

I've seen him twice before; He puts on a great show!

I quite enjoy all of Ingrid Michaelson's singles, though I haven't found an album of hers yet I enjoy all the way through.

I've been kicking myself lately for not having gone to see Coheed live when I had the chance. They are fucking amazing, I listen to their entire 7 album discography all the time. Well, maybe not YOTBR quite as much :)

I'm also mad I didn't go see Paramore last month when I had the chance. Stupid weddings.

All of her stuff is free on Prime. It's all well and nice but I don't know, she's the first artist I've listened to that I vastly prefer hearing live. Mosty because of the new arrangements and instrumentation implemented into stuff that was originally barebones. Makes for more interesting music. I wish she would put out some live albums.

• 1 year later...
On 22-1-2015 at 2:30 PM, filmmusic said:

- Selections from Jurassic park (i'm sure this will be just the theme which is available in the Hal Leonard edition. I don't think there are other pieces available for orchestras to perform)*

I've heard a suite that incorporated Journey To The Island performed in concert. Is that the Hal Leonard one?

• 1 month later...

Seth MacFarlane performed with the National Symphony Orchestra at Wolf Trap tonight. Great last minute decision. Not often do you get to relax on the lawn seats at night and listen to witty banter and show tunes from the 20s-60s.

He sang the final encore in the voices of Peter, Stewie, Quagmire, Stan, and Roger.

• 7 months later...

I am probably stretching the definition of 'just' as it was the Friday before last, but I saw an awesome concert given by the Trinity Laban Orchestra (one of the top music academies in London) at the BBC Studios in Maida Vale.  The young musicians were supplemented by a handful of players from the BBC Concert Orchestra, who were easy to spot as most of them were much older!  The concert was free and there were only about fifty people in the audience - possibly because the Bakerloo line was suspended and it started at 6 o'clock - so we were probably outnumbered by the orchestra.

They played lengthy suites from Erich Wolfgang Korngold's The Adventures of Robin Hood and The Sea Hawk.  It was fantastic to hear these talented young musicians playing such difficult music so well.  The orchestra was conducted by Anthony Weeden, who has orchestrated several film scores (including Johann Johannsonn's Sicario).

• 1 month later...

Just saw a ballet adaptation of Sibelius' Kullervo at the National Ballet of Finland with choreography/direction by famed Finnish dancer/choreographer Tero Saarinen with Pekka Louhio and Johanna Nuutinen as Kullervo and his sister and as their musical counterparts soloists Tommi Hakala (Kullervo) and  Lilli Paasikivi (Kullervo's sister), the music performed the Finnish National Opera Orchestra and Chorus conducted by Hannu Lintu. The symphony itself is dramatic, tragic and electrifying but the ballet aspect brought its own visual energy and vibrancy to the equation with tremendous intensity. The whole piece had a wonderful modern visual flair with especially well designed light effects that had its own stark beauty to it and while my knowledge of modern dance is quite limited this was a tremendous experience both visually and aurally. Breathtaking stuff to be sure.

A promo still from a performance as no photography was allowed in the concert.

Kullervo-1261-1000x654.jpg

20 hours ago, gkgyver said:

I hate obnoxious modernisations of classics. Especially those stupid modernised operas. Let the time in which they were written live.

The reinterpretation of Kullervo is rather the combining of the symphonic piece for orchestra, soloists and male chorus with the ballet form which to my knowledge has no antecedent in the case of this particular piece of Sibelius. While I am also a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to these things I was very impressed how well the modern ballet choreography worked with the music and even the more austere modern production design was a powerful asset in telling of this rather dark and tragic tale of a true Finnish antihero.

13 hours ago, Richard said:

Isn't that one of the functions of art? To re-interpret itself for a modern audience, and to make it seem relevant to "today"? 

The artist who wrote it is too dead to re-interpret anything, so take the work in the context of its time, appreciate it for what it is, and leave the period charme the fuck alone!

A concert work or opera isn't elusive "art", it's a piece of work that was envisioned in a certain way by its author. There are plenty of contemporary musicians where these people can go wild with modern interpretations and realisations. They don't need to abuse a classic piece of work as a vehicle to make a name for themselves.

You don't take a Rembrandt and repaint it in rainbow colours either. You just leave it the fuck alone and preserve the original vision for posterity.

7 hours ago, Incanus said:

The reinterpretation of Kullervo is rather the combining of the symphonic piece for orchestra, soloists and male chorus with the ballet form which to my knowledge has no antecedent in the case of this particular piece of Sibelius. While I am also a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to these things I was very impressed how well the modern ballet choreography worked with the music and even the more austere modern production design was a powerful asset in telling of this rather dark and tragic tale of a true Finnish antihero.

So...it depends?

7 hours ago, gkgyver said:

The artist who wrote it is too dead to re-interpret anything, so take the work in the context of its time, appreciate it for what it is, and leave the period charme the fuck alone!

A concert work or opera isn't elusive "art", it's a piece of work that was envisioned in a certain way by its author. There are plenty of contemporary musicians where these people can go wild with modern interpretations and realisations. They don't need to abuse a classic piece of work as a vehicle to make a name for themselves.

You don't take a Rembrandt and repaint it in rainbow colours either. You just leave it the fuck alone and preserve the original vision for posterity.

Yeah? Well...that's just...like...your opinion, man.

Just saw this concert this afternoon at the Evanston Symphony Orchestra (a community volunteer orchestra near here):

• Rachmaninoff
  • Piano Concerto No. 3 in D Minor

Jeffrey Biegel, piano

• Prokofiev
  • Lt. Kije Suite
  • Williams
  • Star Wars Symphonic Suite

Terrific! I had never heard the concerto and Prokofiev suite before my dad forced me to listen to them yesterday in preparation, but they're both great. And, of course, about the Williams works, nothing more needs to be said, really. ;) I'd never seen Star Wars performed live and the orchestra nailed it. An incredible experience. 

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Those mummies still have more energy at 70+ than I ever had.

That wasn't meant to be a jab at the Stones: I do respect the guys and what they're still able to do at such an advanced age. Plus, Imhotep had a lot of energy, so the comparison was fair!

It would be said if they did The Mummy Returns live to projection without also doing The Mummy. I didn't like the film (and thus never even watched the sequel), but I'd have to attend for the Goldsmith score.