What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Well it does have many ridiculous scenes, but so did the original. I dfinitely missed the gritty feel of the original, but 2000 packed enough energy in the all important song sequences to make it a worthwhile watch (and my jaw still drops at the Louisiana Gator Boys lineup)

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blues Brothers 2000. Yes, John Belushi is definitely missed, and it is a complete and inferior rehash of the original. However it still packs enough feel good-ness to be an enjoyable romp.

It's not a complete rehash. It's an incomplete rehash. I remember (from watching it back in 2000) thinking that this isn't really good, but the long-expected car chase at the end might still manage to reconcile with me. The entire film builds up to it - and then just ends right before the chase starts.

Predators

What a terrible film. Bad casting, bad writing, bad acting, huge plot holes, bad editing, boring action scenes, confusing scenes, cool characters that die too soon, boring characters that live till the end. The whole movie was all over the place, jumping from idea to idea with no sense of logic used to tie them together. What a big ball of mess. It makes me angry how bad this film was

Blues Brothers 2000. Yes, John Belushi is definitely missed, and it is a complete and inferior rehash of the original. However it still packs enough feel good-ness to be an enjoyable romp.

I still wish James Belushi could have done it.

Although it was a mess of a film.

Inception.

At first I had a difficult time getting into it, but as the movie progresses it just gets better and better. It's not that the plot is hard to follow. It's quite simple, really. But the movie throws much information at you that it is a bit hard to get invested in it emotioanlly. But at the end all the pieces fall into their place. It's a typical Nolan. It's like Memento, but for 200m. The film is very entertaining. The fight scenes are great. And the thought they used so little CGI makes these sequences even better. It doesn't really feel like s-f though. It's more Mission: Impossible/Bond mixed with more personal drama. If you like these kind of heist movies this one is for you.

Is it groundbreaking? No, I guess not. The 2001/Blade Runner comparisons are a bit too forced. But you can easily identify the director's style and this is rare enough. I'd say it is the most natural progression of his ideas, but on a bigger scale than before.

I guess some people won't like it. I remember Alex complaining about TDK being to plot-oriented. Well, this is another one. There is much dialogue explaining plot, which is, typically for Nolan, quite dense. But they have to do that. By the end of the day it is the summer blockbuster. However, I don't see it making big loads of money. It's too much for typical moviegoer, I think.

Anyway, I'm tempted to go and see it again this evening. Which, I guess, is a high recommendation.

Karol

I've always felt that Nolan was a better writer and producer than he is a director.

I think you mean M. Night Shyamalan...

Signs is a pretty damn good movie, but I don't think I would take it over Memento.

I liked Memento, but when I was watching it I somehow had this niggling feeling that he should have handed the script over to someone like Tarantino, who seems to effortless pull of this non-linear stuff almost seamlessly.

Signs? If you're going to compare the two at least use their best work. Unbreakable is great, better than a few of Nolan's films, but overall Nolan has so much of a better track-record it's almost laughable.

My ranking:

Memento

Unbreakable

The Dark Knight

Batman Begins

The Sixth Sense

The Prestige

Insomnia

Signs

The Village

The Happening

Never saw Lady In The Water or The Last Airbender. Haven't seen Insomnia yet either, but plan to tonight.

So yea, looks like Nolan FTW to me!

Well the film was just backwards, Tarantino goes all over the place.

My point still stands. Memento just felt herky jerky, in a not good way.

Signs? If you're going to compare the two at least use their best work. Unbreakable is great, better than a few of Nolan's films, but overall Nolan has so much of a better track-record it's almost laughable.

I'm not arguing against their overall track record, and I do rank Unbreakable almost as highly as Signs. I think those are the only good films Night has made, although The Sixth Sense is arguable.

This is true, Nolan has yet to make a bad film.

The Prestige ;) I havent seen any of Night's films post The Village after hearing about how bad they are, but The Prestige must come close. :P

So yea, looks like Nolan FTW to me!

I'll admit that Nolan has made more good films than Night, but IMO he hasn't made a better best film than Night. Again, thats with the cavaet that I have not seen Inception, or any of the later Night films (tho I doubt that would matter in pushing Night's cause ;)). In any case, I honestly don't really care much for either filmmaker

I think the word "masterpiece" has become a bit shallow. I'm not even sure what it means anymore. People use it so many times.

Karol

This is true, however I do try and reserve myself. The films I was talking about were The Dark Knight and Memento, by the way.

His Batman movies aren't bad, if you can get around Batman. It's easier in Dark Knight because the villains are good. But Christian Bale is the weak link. No charisma. Dull dull dull. Don't know what Nolan sees in him, or what they were thinking with that Batman voice in the second movie. There's a kind of polished professionalism to Nolan's work. He really hasn't made a genuinely poor movie overall, even if Batman Begins was less than stellar, in my opinion.

I've felt Shyalalamanm was completely overrated for a decade now. I never really "got" what was so great about his work. And his later films, as I've watched them on TV, are atrocious. The Happening? Holy shit...

I never really understood why so many people dislike BB. Granted, the action scenes seem chaotic, but the film is very good overall.

Karol

It's a better film than The Dark Knight. It lacks the incredible charisma that Heath Ledger brought to the production...but as far as I'm concerned, almost everything else in it is superior. At least it has...you know...a story that can be followed. ;) I still can't follow half of the plot developments in TDK.

I never really understood why so many people dislike BB. Granted, the action scenes seem chaotic, but the film is very good overall.

Karol

I agree. I think it's main issue is that it seems to be unable to decide whether to be a drama or a traditional superhero movie, but it strikes the balance fairly well and provided great groundwork for the sequel.

I remember being incredibly bored watching Batman Begins. Not sure the specific reasons, but I felt almost no connection with any of the characters.

Nolan's film are all a bit clinical, that's true. If you prefer your movies to be more accessible emotionally, that's fine. I, for one, hate being manipulated like that. Maybe that's why I like his movies so much. All of them.

I agree. I think it's main issue is that it seems to be unable to decide whether to be a drama or a traditional superhero movie, but it strikes the balance fairly well and provided great groundwork for the sequel.

Ironically, I think this is the main and only issue I have with TDK. The weakest thing about it is that there is this weird guy dressed as a bat form some reason. He doesn't fit into that, quite good, movie. ;)

Karol

Karol

I prefer it to TDK. Bruce has a better arc in it, as does the story itself.

I remember being incredibly bored watching Batman Begins. Not sure the specific reasons, but I felt almost no connection with any of the characters.

Yeah. I mean, I wasn't very bored throughout. It's watchable. But I couldn't really connect with Batman. I still like watching him drive around and cause property damage and I CAN'T say it was a bad way to spend 2 hours. But I don't love it.

Karol

I love the balance. Moments like Scarecrow revealing his power or Batman uttering the famous line are pure comic book coolness... but integrated into a powerful, dramatic film.

I loved Inception and I was amazed with how thorough they were with creating that world. The third act was one of the best I've ever seen and while the music suited the film, it wasn't anything particularly worthwhile.

Nolan's film are all a bit clinical, that's true. If you prefer your movies to be more accessible emotionally, that's fine. I, for one, hate being manipulated like that. Maybe that's why I like his movies so much. All of them.

Karol

Being emotionally accessible does not equate manipulation. You could say that Kubrick is also clinical and emotionally unaccessible, but I feel that Kubrick's filmmaking is at a level Nolan can never even dream of attaining.

We don't have Kubricks nowadays. We don't even really have a Lucas or Spielberg anymore. In these dark times, we have to make do with what we have.

I know what you mean man, I'm just barely making due with Paul Thomas Anderson, the Coen Brothers, Terrence Malick, Scorsese, Herzog, Soderbergh, Cronenberg, Miyazaki, Kar-Wai, Cuaron, Tarantino, Haneke, Jonze....

I just want to slit my wrists and get it over with

I love the balance. Moments like Scarecrow revealing his power or Batman uttering the famous line are pure comic book coolness... but integrated into a powerful, dramatic film.

The first two-thirds are like that, but unfortunately the last act kind of devolves into a typical superhero flick. The first half, with Bruce training in Asia, is almost an indie character study. Many people forget that at its' heart TDK is this as well (an examination of Bruce/Batman), but it goes about doing it in a much different, much broader way.

Inception

Hands down the best film of the year, maybe even the best film from the past two years. Like QMM said, the third act was astonishing, kept me on the edge of my seat for a good 40 minutes. I haven't been this enthralled at the movies in awhile. Oh man the ending, so perfect. Acting is superb throughout; effects look real; Zimmer's score fits like a glove although there is little room for the theme to breathe. It's pretty much wall to wall scoring in the best way possible. Absolutely loved it, my only regret was not seeing it for the first time at the Uptown. It's a giant theater, almost IMAX, size that seats 900 people in DC. I was planning on going on Sunday, but a friend wanted to see it today. I always felt The Dark Knight was severely overrated while being quite good. This blows it away IMO.

. I always felt The Dark Knight was severely overrated while being quite good. This blows it away IMO.

Ok this reassures me

Hands down the best film of the year, maybe even the best film from the past two years.

OK, now I'm really worried.

:beerchug:

Mad Men Season 3: It finally dawned on me that 'Mad Men' could be the sequel to 'The Wonder Years'. Of course, instead of dealing with childhood and adolescence, it's about the corporate world, marriage, status and other grown-up things. Sounds boring? No, it's extremely compelling! And the stylishly settings and the outstanding level of writing have almost everything to do with that. Shows like 'Mad Men' are the only thing that keep me sane in a world of Avatar and other disappointing movies of big name directors. My only regret is that I didn't buy the set on Blu-ray. The resolution of the DVD is sometimes seriously compromised in order to get enough episodes on one disc. Be warned!

Alex

Inception

I liked it a lot. I really enjoyed all the characters, all the actors playing them were perfectly cast and did a great job. The idea for the movie is wonderful and unique, and then the idea is executed perfectly.

The only negative I can say about it is that the music during the final scene was really inappropriate and out of place. What were they thinking there?

I'm referring to David Chase's involvement.

I don't think David Chase is involved in Man Men, Quint, unless he recently jumped on board, of course. The series is created by Matthew Weiner, one of the writers of The Sopranos (the later seasons).

I'm referring to David Chase's involvement.

I don't think David Chase is involved in Man Men, Quint, unless he recently jumped on board, of course. The series is created by Matthew Weiner, one of the writers of The Sopranos (the later seasons).

Ah okay, my bad. I seem to remember skim reading some articles on it last year, but after checking on it I see that Chase was only briefly attached to the show in the conceptual stages.

Batman Begins is a film that shows the director is completely clueless to how to handle action, TDK is better at it, but only slight. Inception looks like Nolan might have figured it out. Or at least copies the Matrix.