Composers who admire Williams...

Muad'Dib

Hi, everybody!

I was just wondering which composers who admire Williams and also who Williams admires.

I was also thinking I could start a list that I would edit as you people post what you know. Please don't invent, although I know you will :P

Composers who admire Williams:

- Roque Baños

- Jon Brion

- Alexandre Desplat

- Robert F. Diggs (RZA)

- Patrick Doyle

- Danny Elfman

- George Fenton

- Michael Giacchino

- Jerry Goldsmith

- Bernard Herrmann

- Henry Mancini

- David Newman

- Alex North

- John Ottman

- Barrington Pheloung

- John Powell

- David Raksin

- William Ross

- Theodore Shapiro

- David Shire

- Brian Tyler

- Hans Zimmer

Admired by Williams:

- Johann Sebastian Bach

- Ludwig van Beethoven

- Leonard Bernstein

- John Corigliano

- Tan Dun

- Edward Elgar

- Jerry Goldsmith

- Franz Joseph Haydn

- Bernard Herrmann

- Gustav Holst

- James Horner

- Alan Hovhaness

- Maurice Jarre

- Erich Wolfgagn Korngold

- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

- Alfred Newman

- Thomas Newman

- James Newton Howard

- Sergei Prokofiev

- Einojuhani Rautavaara

- Maurice Ravel

- Christopher Rouse

- Dmitri Shostakovich

- Johann Strauss

- Igor Stravinsky

- Toru Takemitsu

- William Walton

I know it have very little information, so that's why I was thinking you could help me. I know this is totally unuseful, but it's just for fun.

Sorry if this has been discussed before. If it has, please send me to the correct topic. Thanks :joy:

By the way... What does Ennio Morricone think of Williams and vice-versa?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"He’s been the master for 30 years. Whatever anyone says...he is the master; there’s no other master in America. He’s the one. And I wouldn’t write melodies like I write, if any good, if I’d not listened to John Williams. I would not be as obsessed by orchestration if I’d not listened to John Williams, because he’s also the one who made the orchestra still going and alive in the ‘70s and ‘80s."

- Alexandre Desplat

Guess you can add him to the list.

EDIT - Clark beat me.

Composers who admire Williams:

- Alexandre Desplat

- Michael Giacchino

- Jerry Goldsmith

- John Powell

- Hans Zimmer

Don't forget Danny Elfman on there. It seems like every other interview with him he mentions how much he and all other film composers owe to Williams.

CS/SHH!: How about somebody else's comic book score that you love?

Elfman: John Williams is like the champion of the whole forum. His things are in another universe, literally. There are all of us and then there is John Williams. That is how I look at him – his stuff has always been amazing. He helped really open the entire door to the very concept of big orchestral scores for this kind of genre. If it wasn't for what he did in "Star Wars" and what he did for "Raiders" and "Superman" we wouldn't still be able to do this stuff now.

To be honest though, I doubt there's a decent film composer out there who doesn't greatly admire Williams, at the very least, whether or not he may be particularly vocal about it.

By the way... What does Ennio Morricone think of Williams and vice-versa?

I know Morricone doesn't usually talk about other composers. But I think Morricone should consider Williams his antithesis based on Morricone's ideas about film music.

Huh, so many Williams admires...

Johann Sebastian Bach

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Franz Joseph Haydn

Ludwig van Beethoven

Toru Takemitsu

John Corigliano

Tan Dun

Christopher Rouse

Alan Hovhaness

Leonard Bernstein

and so forth...

Haydn, Elgar, Dun, Goldsmith and Herrmann from what he has stated himself. Holst, Prokofiev, Ravel, Walton, Korngold, Bernstein, Rautavaara and many others from what is apparant from his music.

Williams expressed in an interview in 1998 that he thought highly of James Horner, James Newton Howard, and Thomas Newman.

Could you provide a link or a reference to that interview? I'd like to hear the context of his statements.

My signature quotation is from an interview I did with Desplat (just for the record).

Other composers who have mentioned admiring Williams: Theodore Shapiro and David Newman.

I think everyone has expressed a liking for Williams at one point or another (Off the top of my head, add David shire, David Raksin, Jon Brion and Rza to the list). Actually, Mychael Danna has expressed his dissatifaction with the Williams/ Goldsmith style.

Could you provide a link or a reference to that interview? I'd like to hear the context of his statements.

Talking about composers that he admires who are working in the medium today, he cited the continuing excellence of the work of Jerry Goldsmith and confirmed that he thought highly of the work of composers such as James Horner and James Newton Howard. "There's a young member of the Newman family - Thomas Newman - who I think is one of the most gifted of the young people who are coming along. His score for The Shawshank Redemption stands in my mind as one of the most impressive from the younger generation."

Without a direct quote from Williams in reference to Howard and Horner, I suppose you could assume that the interviewer merely proffered a few of the eminent names of the day, and Williams, being as maddeningly diplomatic as he is in public, merely gave his vague assent. Take it as you will.

It should also be known that John Williams and Bernard Herrmann shared a mutual admiration for each other. In fact, I believe it was Bernard Herrmann who encouraged John Williams to write his first symphony.

"thought highly of" hardly translates to "admired"...

And anyway, what's he gonna say? "My colleagues, Horner and Howard, they suck big-time, but I let them live...?"

And anyway, what's he gonna say? "My colleagues, Horner and Howard, they suck big-time, but I let them live...?"

Horner wouldn't hesitate to say it.

The article doesn't provide a transcript, so there's really no way to determine exactly what the interviewer said and how Williams responded. The wording suggests that Williams may not have volunteered those names and merely indicated that he was agreeable to the way some in the younger generation of composers were coming along. Regardless of the gap between what he may have said and what he truly feels, the article came to mind when I saw this topic, so I thought I'd post it.

Speaking of Williams and other composers, if anyone has Brian Tyler's facebook he just put up several nice photos of him, Williams, and John Mauceri together.

The article doesn't provide a transcript, so there's really no way to determine exactly what the interviewer said and how Williams responded. The wording suggests that Williams may not have volunteered those names and merely indicated that he was agreeable to the way some in the younger generation of composers were coming along.

He specifically mentioned Newton Howard (sans hyphenation) and Horner in a long Bouzereau-Interview around the 'Jurassic Park' time (in "Soundtrack" or "MftM", i believe). His exact description was something like they were 'real workers of the movies' and would help to uphold the high standards blabla...

No insinuation by the interviewer. The only instance of him mentioning current scores specifically was when he cited 'Basic Instinct' as example of great film scoring. Maybe it was the same interview, but i don't know for sure.

... and Horner in a long Bouzereau-Interview around the 'Jurassic Park' time (in "Soundtrack" or "MftM", i believe).

Maybe Williams had Horner in mind when he wrote Jurassic Park. It could explain why my affinity with this soundtrack is so low.

I don't understand why some people are so worried or can't believe Williams admires other composers.

Or have to make sure that every other composer out there admires Williams.

Hell, Horner can't even make up his mind as to whether he knew Goldsmith or not. We don't get upset about that.

John Ottman mentiones his admiration for Williams in one making of, either from "The Usual Suspects" or "X-Men 2", I don´t remember which. Also his score to Superman returns is one big hommage to Williams.

Barrington Pheloung, Patrick Doyle & George Fenton are a further 3 that have stated their admiration for him.

Re Ennio, Jarbas is probably right as I remember a 1990's Morricone BBC TV doc that had him give the reason why he decided to stop scoring American movies: "I was being paid the same as some of the worst American composers...."

We can only guess the handful of composers his referring to here as I doubt he was paid poorly!

Re Ennio, Jarbas is probably right as I remember a 1990's Morricone BBC TV doc that had him give the reason why he decided to stop scoring American movies: "I was being paid the same as some of the worst American composers...."

We can only guess the handful of composers his referring to here as I doubt he was paid poorly!

Here what Morricone thinks of style and musical influences:

As far as I'm concerned, I still have passions about old classical music such as my maestro Goffredo Petrassi, Johann Sebastian Bach, Igor Stravinsky and a few others. These are composers I have eaten, drunk and digested and obviously they've gone into my system, become part of me, my flesh and blood. Surely, no one can say when I write that my music resembles that of Bach or Stravinsky, or the others I've mentioned. But when you eat a chicken, it's not that the chicken's blood becomes part of you - you just eat chicken, right? What I do is write my own style of music.

(Source: http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2904920)

So I think Morricone doesn't appreciate the Williams way... but "the worst American composers" he refers include John Williams? Who knows? :)

I don't have any empirical evidence, but based solely off the symphonies of Howard Hanson, I'd say John Williams was a big admirer of him. They share a very similar harmonic vernacular and their styles of orchestration and sense of drama are very reminiscent of one another. It may be a red herring, but check out the third movement of Hanson's Symphony No. 2, "The Romantic." It's guaranteed to instantly make you think of a certain famous score of Williams'.

It may be a red herring, but check out the third movement of Hanson's Symphony No. 2, "The Romantic." It's guaranteed to instantly make you think of a certain famous score of Williams'.

E.T. particularly comes to mind.

It may be a red herring, but check out the third movement of Hanson's Symphony No. 2, "The Romantic." It's guaranteed to instantly make you think of a certain famous score of Williams'.

E.T. particularly comes to mind.

That'd be the one :lol:

In numerous interviews Goldsmith and Williams and mentioned that the other was their favorite living composer.

They both have good taste...only the best.

In numerous interviews Goldsmith and Williams and mentioned that the other was their favorite living composer.

They both have good taste...only the best.

Williams had better taste.