"What film composer are you?"

Hlao-roo

Hey, I saw this over at moviemusic.com's message boards...it's a cool little diversion. What film composer are you? [link no longer active]

I got this on my first try:

Wow, you're John Williams! It's no secret that everybody thinks you're the greatest thing since sliced bread! You're smart, sensitive, funny, energetic: whatever your friends need, you can provide it, and for that people flock to you. If you have any flaws, one is that sometimes you can go overboard - you say too much too often, or you give something a shove when all it requires is a tap - but in the end it doesn't matter. Your charm, talent, sensitivity, and reliability make you invaluable to those around you. You've scored such films as Star Wars (the entire series), Jaws, E.T., Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, Stepmom, Home Alone, Superman, and Harry Potter. You've won FIVE Oscars, and there have been only six times in the past thirty years that you haven't been nominated for something.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"You're Danny Elfman! No one ever thought you'd come as far as you have (or are going to). You have a reputation for being quirky, even weird, but you've proven time and again that you also have the brains and the sensitivity to get through pretty much anything. You've also got a great sense of humor. Snobs dislike you for making it look so easy; everyone else thinks you're cool. You've scored such films as Batman, Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Black Beauty, Dolores Claiborne, Men in Black, Good Will Hunting, and Spider-Man. You also wrote the theme from The Simpsons."

Not John Williams, but quite respectable. :)

"Congradulations, you're Jerry Goldsmith! You're versatile, reliable, and almost everybody loves you! You had your full share of new experiences long ago, and by now you know exactly what works. You can handle virtually all situations imaginable with an equal amount of ease. You've scored such films as Patton, Planet of the Apes (the original), Total Recall, Rudy, Medicine Man, Basic Instinct, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Gremlins, Poltergeist, Hoosiers, Mulan, The Mummy, and The Omen (for which you won an Oscar)."

Oh, my God, I've got Goldsmith.

CharlesK - who will meditate about this... :)

Well, I was Goldsmith earlier today, but after taking the test again...

You're Howard Shore! Nobody ever knows what you're going to do next. Every time they turn around you're trying out something you've never done before, and you always handle it was care and talent. Still, some people get annoyed with your individual style, and while many people may appreciate you as a friend, it doesn't mean they always enjoy your company. Still, they know they can come to you in hard times, and you always pull through. There's never been a problem you couldn't solve. You've scored such films as Big, The Fly, The Silence of the Lambs, Mrs. Doubtfire, Philadelphia, Seven, Dogma, The Cell, Panic Room, and The Lord of the Rings, for which you just won your first Oscar. You were also the very first musical director on Saturday Night Live, and you wrote the opening theme to Late Night with Conan O'Brien.

That was pretty cool.

Here are my results:

Wow, you're John Williams! It's no secret that everybody thinks you're the greatest thing since sliced bread! You're smart, sensitive, funny, energetic: whatever your friends need, you can provide it, and for that people flock to you. If you have any flaws, one is that sometimes you can go overboard - you say too much too often, or you give something a shove when all it requires is a tap - but in the end it doesn't matter. Your charm, talent, sensitivity, and reliability make you invaluable to those around you. You've scored such films as Star Wars (the entire series), Jaws, E.T., Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, Stepmom, Home Alone, Superman, and Harry Potter. You've won FIVE Oscars, and there have been only six times in the past thirty years that you haven't been nominated for something.

Director - pleased and wondering why Close Encounters Of The Third Kind wasn't included in that list of film scores.

Well. he made me started to buy scores...

Oh, that's why I got Goldsmith, even though I'm rather a Williams' fan. The Omen (1976) was the first movie that got me curious about movie soundtracks. Then it came Star Wars (1977). Weird how this test works.

Whoa, this test is great!

What a surprise

I'm actually my second fav composer!!

Allthough after reading this, I'm not quite sure if that's something to be so happy about :)

Hmm, you're Elliot Goldenthal. You're a genius, but what's with the negative attitude? You're a true original with a style all your own, but you need to lighten up: all that darkness is driving people away! You've scored such films as Alien 3, Interview with the Vampire, A Time to Kill, Michael Collins, Sphere, Titus, Pet Semetary, and Final Fantasy.

Whoa, this test is great!

What a surprise

I'm actually my second fav composer!!

Allthough after reading this, I'm not quite sure if that's something to be so happy about  :)  

Hmm, you're Elliot Goldenthal. You're a genius, but what's with the negative attitude? You're a true original with a style all your own, but you need to lighten up: all that darkness is driving people away! You've scored such films as Alien 3, Interview with the Vampire, A Time to Kill, Michael Collins, Sphere, Titus, Pet Semetary, and Final Fantasy.

You should be happy. Elliot is indeed very talented and original. Have you seen the Horner and Zimmer profiles? Those are really something to be ashamed of...and a riot to read :biglaugh:

In my opinion Goldenthal is the most original composer of the moment

I cann´t imagine another one

He has an excellent way to score films and I think he shouldn´t be so underrated

I have to thanks to Justin for get me appreciate the music of Goldenthal

CharlieSherry

Mine was Howard Shore. I don't listen to his music all that much, but I suppose I can live with it. I suppose there's the "expect the unexpected" quality in me that makes me a bit unpredictable ... sometimes. :biglaugh:

Goldenthal? You kidding me? His way of writing Batman Forever was a joke... at least in my opinion.

What about 'Michael Collins', 'Final Fantasy', 'A Time To Kill, 'Titus' & 'Interview With A Vampire'? Brilliant scores. Can't think of anyone else that writes such manic yet powerful horn passages.

'Batman Forever' suited the movie perfectly. Noisey, brash, comical & zany. The 'Circus Top' cue rules!

Good, I respect him a lot because of his different style. :)

I think we need more composers who actually were working before 1970.... :roll:

YES!!! I got John Williams. It took me more than a half hour to keep reloading the stinking page, so I was going to be pretty mad, but then I got JW and was happy. This test looked a lot nicer and more professional than most others there which seem to have been created by vulgar pre-teens infatuated with themselves.

Ray Barnsbury

Good, I respect him a lot because of his different style.  :)  

I think we need more composers who actually were working before 1970.... :roll:

The guy who created the test said not to get mad at him -- if the site was slow to load for you guys, imagine how it must've been creating the actual test, with all the answer choices and all. At 8 composers, he decided that enough was enough; besides, to run through the whole catalog of composers would've appeared pretentious. He wanted to emphasize that this test was in no way intended to be professional...

Goldenthal, huh, Morn? Somehow I'm not surprised. ;)

That was pretty cool.

Here are my results:

Director - pleased and wondering why Close Encounters Of The Third Kind wasn't included in that list of film scores.

DIRECTOR!!!!!!!! I'm very glad to see you!!!!

I took the quiz too, and I was good ole Johnny! :)

~Harry

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD I'M JW HIMSELF :)

Look :

I actually thought my answers would match with Goldsmith to be honest. Mmmm. Actually the more i look at the above, the more it does'nt sound like me. I dont give people a shove rather than a tap. And i certainly did'nt score those films.

I don't f***ing believe it. I'm Hans Zimmer :cry: :cry: :cry:

You're Hans Zimmer! You're loud, energetic, and immensely popular (despite a substantial group of detractors). You're also great at teamwork, and you're a born leader: everyone around you wants to be like you. Still, people are starting to find you redundant and predictable; try a little diversification, and prove those critics wrong! You've scored such films as Rain Man, Backdraft, A League of Their Own, True Romance, The Lion King, Drop Zone, Crimson Tide, The Rock, The Thin Red Line, Gladiator, Pearl Harbor, and Black Hawk Down.

Now I feel somewhat embarassed.

If I got JNH or Danny Elfman, I'd be fine with it...but not Zimmer.

Mmm.. Look at this i found on the net

You are Justin. You are 15 years old and live like Tom Sawyer in a remote outback of the United States with Aunt molly . You have a fondness for Guinea Pigs and the music of Hans Zimmer (although your loyalty lies firmly with John Williams). You have a tendency to visit baseball games and play James Horner's score to Field of Dreams while hiding under a tarpallin in the mid day sun eating fava beans with mongolian Yak butter. It enhances your experience of the gathering you claim and you keep your keen eye on the coach wondering if his liver would taste good with a nice ciantii. People have asked you about the ingredients you use in your cooking and you always reply with a calm "I'm afraid if i told you.....you would'nt even try" (which never fails to raise a laugh from your dinner guests). Huckleberry Finn is your loyal and devoted friend since he escaped from the mountain of Mordor and left that awful cult of the Fellowship, and you enjoy days out fishing on the Missisipi river looking for Hobbit enclaves. You have scored such noted films as "Pirahna 2" and "Swedish whores in Baghdad". Your religion is strictly Thugee and your fanatical devotion to the Goddess Kali is cleverly hidden under the veil of loving the soundtrack to Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. You sport an enormous tatoo on your back which extends from your shoulder to your toes :wow: You claim its for cosmetic purposes only.

Melange: LOL That was quite . . . er . . . inventive, and entertaining to say the least!

KM: I had to continuously hit reload for more than 30 minutes for both getting to the test and submitting my answers. I think the site is just testy.

Ray Barnsbury

I don't f***ing believe it. I'm Hans Zimmer :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

LOL :D

That is truily shameful. :|

If I got JNH or Danny Elfman, I'd be fine with it...but not Zimmer.

Elfman.... Yuck. :|

• 2 months later...

I've taken it a second time. Now I'm Shore. I think that sums up my personality a bit better, whereas Goldsmith's discription bares some more resemblance to my "professional" side.

- Marc, wondering wether he really has a "professional" side. ROTFLMAO

:devil: Jurassic Park DVD playing in BG

I'm the composer of that piece of crap score Star Trek Nemesis.

Oh my God, all my hairs fallen out, oh wait, I've been bald for years, whew.

finally on my 4th try I am John Williams, after 2 goldsmiths, and a Michael Nymen, who is he?

Personally I am just satisfied to be one of JW's fans. I don't even want to be his #1 fan.

What the hell?!?

Congratulations, you're Tangerine Dream! You're the ultimate leech, a suck-on artist who excels at nothing more than replacing other people and destroying things that would otherwise have been perfectly fine if not for your influence. The only reason people come to you for anything is because they can't get anyone else to do it--and everyone hates you for doing it instead of someone more qualified! No one knows where you came from or what you're doing here, and nearly everyone is hoping you'll kiss off soon. You've submarined the great Jerry Goldsmith's score for Legend, and "scored" (whatever!) such films as Thief, umm....uhhh....well, frankly, aside from that crap hardly anyone remembers just what you've done, so....anyway....

:cry:

Just kidding....I got Jerry Goldsmith. :biglaugh:

That's a very creative little exercise....very cool.

- Uni

Well i will not do the test, i could not live if JW was not the overcome...

I was overcome with grief when Shore won the Oscar last year.

I hope JW will be able to overcome the movie's shortcomings and produce a decent score.

The overall outcome of the awards season was inconclusive -- it appeared as though everyone had won something, with no one film having dominated.

I'm thinking we need more female composers!!!

Then why don't you do it?

:mrgreen:

Who says I won't? :P

By the way, I'm Goldsmith too, which is good because compositionally, I am closer to Goldsmith than to Williams (I like experimental music!).

OH dear..... NO, you go ahead and enjoy him, I mean he does make Millions, someone has to like him. I;m not quite sure what you would call his stuff.... Anyway, I decided to just be me!!!! Anyone feel like doing a bio for me? Joe? Neil? On second thoughts, I think NOT!