John Williams To Possibly Compose Deathly Hallows Films

scallenger

Speaking of whom, I've been listening to Silverado and Tombstone today. Genius.

Very American sounding though (gee I wonder why with these Westerns), got any recommendations for more British/HP sounding Broughton? :P

I also wouldn't mind seeing Debbie Wiseman with Potter.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a rather decent film, shame it didn't perform too well as it would have been nice to follow Watson & Holmes in another adventure. Some of it reminds me of TOD and the pastry sequence is quite amusing.

What I've seen has struck me as very British, which of course I completely approve of. Was it a British or American production?

And to make this discussion on topic, I've always thought that overall (as in other than the Williams scores) Potter would have been much better served as a BBC production rather than a Hollywood one.

You know, Horner's Glory is a great score. :P

Speaking of whom, I've been listening to Silverado and Tombstone today. Genius.

I love Tombstone but I haven't heard Silverado. Broughton does seem like a guy who would be suited for Potter.

What I've seen has struck me as very British, which of course I completely approve of. Was it a British or American production?

And to make this discussion on topic, I've always thought that overall (as in other than the Williams scores) Potter would have been much better served as a BBC production rather than a Hollywood one.

It was a Spielberg production, Barry Levinson directed from a script by Chris Columbus. ILM handled the visuals.

I believe it was filmed in England with a mostly British cast.

Oh god no! Not those annoying BBC digital cameras that make everything look cheap and home-made.

Film all the way!

To get this thread back on track...I just saw HBP, and I don't think I've ever longed more for Williams to take the reins of Potter once more. Hooper's work was underwhelming.

Yes, as was Dumbledore's Army. The music wasn't bad, in fact some parts were quite good, but as a whole I feel JW could have done sooo much better. Particularly in the more touching scenes.

It's a rather decent film, shame it didn't perform too well as it would have been nice to follow Watson & Holmes in another adventure. Some of it reminds me of TOD and the pastry sequence is quite amusing.

I watched it again recently, it's very, very fun and the two leads have great chemistry. And the score is brilliant.

Perhaps the "if his schedule allows it" comment could also refer to Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief.

Wikipedia (how reliable) lists it now as one of John Williams upcoming scores, and Imdb doesn't mention a composer yet (though it seems the entire crew has been established for the film).

Maybe the upcoming scoring of Percy (if Williams will do this of course) may hinder Williams (at his current age) to score HP 7 shortly afterwards while (possibly) at the same working on Tintin. These are all really big, demanding projects.

Percy has a release February 2010. HP7 Part 1 is set to be released November 2010 and Part 2 July 2011. Tintin is scheduled for October 2011 in Europe. Lincoln perhaps Winter 2011.

Technically it's a possibility that Williams will score all these films. The only problem I foresee is again the demanding nature of these films.

Perhaps the "if his schedule allows it" comment could also refer to Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief.

Wikipedia (how reliable) lists it now as one of John Williams upcoming scores, and Imdb doesn't mention a composer yet (though it seems the entire crew has been established for the film).

There's no citation to back this up. It was probably just added because Williams has scored several Chris Columbus films before. The Wikipedia article also lists Deathly Hallows among his upcoming scores, which is not confirmed.

It's today's news that Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief will be scored by Christophe Beck.

Here.

Since anyone can add to wiki I don't trust it.

I feel this is a common misconception with Wikipedia. Yes, anyone can edit it, but if (big "if") the information is properly cited then it's just as valid as any official reference material. You just follow the citation to its source to confirm it, though granted that's easier to do with online sources than print sources. Wikipedia moderators keep an eye on articles and flag missing or improper citations (e.g. an unreliable source like IMDb).

It's today's news that Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief will be scored by Christophe Beck.

Ok, glad that that's cleared up. ;)

Ok, glad that that's cleared up. ;)

If Williams isn't scoring it, it probably means it's not exactly a very good movie... Of course, I could be wrong.

This leaves the way clear for "Deathly Hallows" (part 1, at least), and having some very good stuff already written for Tintin (according to Conrad Pope), this means we'll probably get two more Williams scores for HP :D

Yes!

Here.

Hmm, I might keep an eye on that. Beck wrote some good music for Buffy but hasn't had a chance to score any films in that mold since.

Since anyone can add to wiki I don't trust it.

I feel this is a common misconception with Wikipedia. Yes, anyone can edit it, but if (big "if") the information is properly cited then it's just as valid as any official reference material. You just follow the citation to its source to confirm it, though granted that's easier to do with online sources than print sources. Wikipedia moderators keep an eye on articles and flag missing or improper citations (e.g. an unreliable source like IMDb).

Correct.

The rule with Wikipedia is: The more well-known a topic, the more reliable the information. With stuff that can also be found in "regular" affordable encyclopedias, I trust WP very much (it's not like a classic encyclopedia is unbiased, either). With obscure fringe topics like film music, they're about as reliable as IMDb is with upcoming movies.

New interview with Nicholas Hooper:

http://www.ifmagazine.com/feature.asp?article=3434

"I have made the decision not to do the next two Harry Potter films. I’ll be handing the baton on to another composer. It has been a roller coaster ride, and, I feel, an enormous privilege to have the opportunity to have scored such great films and such a fantastic story."

It would be easy to say that I meant to use such and such a theme in a "brilliant stroke of genius.” But in fact a lot of what works comes out of trying things out first, and then discussing them later. A bit like throwing paint at the wall one day and coming in to have a look at it the next to see what shape it makes.

Yeah, that just about sums it up.

It would be easy to say that I meant to use such and such a theme in a "brilliant stroke of genius.” But in fact a lot of what works comes out of trying things out first, and then discussing them later. A bit like throwing paint at the wall one day and coming in to have a look at it the next to see what shape it makes.

Yeah, that just about sums it up.

Hmmm, it seems to be that's the main difference between Nicholas Hooper and John Williams.

I have an idea most of the time JW knows EXACTLY what he is doing. On the other hand, most of the time Nicholas Hooper is trying out what works and what doesn't.

Really composition can very much be a trial and error process. You do what you feel works, then you come back to it later, revise, etc. I do doubt that any composer can get it absolutely right the moment they put it on paper the first time.

Really composition can very much be a trial and error process. You do what you feel works, then you come back to it later, revise, etc. I do doubt that any composer can get it absolutely right the moment they put it on paper the first time.

You're right.

But it's not so black and white as you make out. It's all about the amount of talent you have... The degree by which a composer is dependent on this trial and error method.

To be fair, though, JW has had MUCH more experience scoring these kinds of movie than NH.

They say Mozart could. Although I have seen changes in his manuscripts also.

With talent, strong musicianship, knowledge of lots of music, intelligence, good intuition and plenty of experience I think a composer can do what he wants and knows when it's right.

There is no "paint throwing" with Williams. He has all the traits I listed above.

How come so many of his themes are so good? His orchestrations always top notch?

(How long did it take for Williams to score Superman. I remember hearing he did it in three weeks. If that is true, then he didn't have time to throw any paint there...!)

I also felt that Nicholas Hooper was not up to the challenge, but most composers pale in comparison to JW, let's face it!

Broughton would be a great choice. He's top notch.

Alain

They say Mozart could. Although I have seen changes in his manuscripts also.

What, my interview wasn't authoritative enough??

:)

Yeah I don't understand why all of these sites that quoted your article regarded it as a "rumor" until this new article came out, then they said it was "confirmed". Did everyone just want more than one source or something?

It's the age long problem with the internet. People post facts and they are ignored, but someone starts a rumor....by god it's the truth.

Rumors are most always more interesting. It's not the internet's doing. Print tabloids took advantage of the trend decades before the internet came along, and that industry still thrives. The internet just enabled every user to become their own potential source of rumors.

Well when it comes to film score related mataerial the internet has played a huge role.

You're not going to find John Williams scoring DH on the front of the National Enquirer. ;)

The tabloids were never a source of information about upcoming film scores. The trades were but never the taboloids.

I wasn't speaking so specifically about the film score industry. Mark O's comment before mine looked to be generic, so I responded with an equally generic comment.

It's possible that widespread Potter fans unconsciously miss Williams as does the entertainment industry, but they'll never be able to put such feelings into words, and certainly never be tabloid material.

On IMDb, Part 1 is already listed as in "post-production". Of course, it could be wrong, but if it's true, we could get the announcement of the official composer preety soon...

on IMDB:

Starts filming in February 2009 for a 56-week shoot.

That's over a year of shooting. And they only just finished HBP... you can't edit and film at the same time with films of this scale.