The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

Ordered! (just Batman)

Though the way these things usually tend to go I'll still get mine a week after everyone else.

You get yours way late too, huh? I hear ya, pal.

Autographed booklets for Predators sold out in 8 minutes.

Anybody planning on ordering all 3 titles, I suggest www.moviemusic.com

If you order directly from La La Land, it will cost you $29.98 + $19.98 + $15.98 + $6.00 shipping = $71.94

If you order from moviemusic, it will cost you $29.98 + $19.98 + $14.99 + $1.00 shipping = $65.95. A savings of almost $6!

http://www.moviemusic.com/soundtrack/batman-lll

http://www.moviemusic.com/soundtrack/krull-rmst

http://www.moviemusic.com/soundtrack/predators

Predators has also been vacillating between $12.99 and $13.99 on Amazon.com.

That's pretty crazy all the signed copies for Predators went within 8 minutes after it was live. I think someone bought multiple copies of that...

If you order directly from La La Land, it will cost you $29.98 + $19.98 + $15.98 + $6.00 shipping = $71.94

If you order from moviemusic, it will cost you $29.98 + $19.98 + $14.99 + $1.00 shipping = $65.95. A savings of almost $6!

Predators has also been vacillating between $12.99 and $13.99 on Amazon.com.

I placed a PayPal order at 12:01:18 PDT so I hope to heck that falls within the 8 minute buffer. I got a confirmation from PayPal that the order went through, but no response from LLR with an order number to check. I'd pay $6 for the *chance* to have a signed copy.

Nice new word of the day, by the way.

I figured it was... I like early Horner and never got the Supercollector one. I don't think it's as strong as Trek II, and I personally like Battle Beyond the Stars more than what I've heard of Krull. But I think it looks to be a really nice presentation of a vintage Horner for a reasonable price.

Lone Gunmen / Harsh Realm info:

This will be coming out some time in August... have not decided when yet. Possibly Aug 10. If not then possibly Aug 24. We are drowning in Predakrullman orders... but it's a good thing.

And yes, it will be signed by Mark Snow. smile.gif

MV

Question about the new KRULL set, in case anyone knows or already stated: is the track on CD 2 "Theme from Krull" a concert arrangement recording or just an edit done by somebody of existing material?

Ah, gotchya. Anyone wonder what would've happened if Intrada re-released Krull instead? Would Horner have become involved and decided to make the reissue shorter? Haha.

Ah, gotchya. Anyone wonder what would've happened if Intrada re-released Krull instead? Would Horner have become involved and decided to make the reissue shorter? Haha.

Not a chance. When Intrada expands on a previously released score, they do it right and 100% complete.

Those Horner scores from last year were their debuts on CD, so Intrada "let" Horner create the "album" he would have created if they had had OSTs at the time of the film's release

No matter which label got Krull I imagine the track list would probably be about the same

Question about the new KRULL set, in case anyone knows or already stated: is the track on CD 2 "Theme from Krull" a concert arrangement recording or just an edit done by somebody of existing material?

It's an edit of existing material.

Instead of two releases on Aug 10th and two releases on Aug 24th, LLL will now have two releases on Aug 17th and then continue as planned from Sep 7 (my birthday!) onward

Things have been so chaotic here at the Triple "L" that we have decided to only release 2 cds this month. They will be out on August 17. The next planned batch will be Sept 7, and then releases of 2 to 3 cds roughly every two weeks thereafter until Nov 30. That's mixing in both the LIMITEDS we produce as well as the retail cds we have in production like Mirrors 2, etc. . .

The whip is crackin'. Back to work for me!

MV

Mirrors 2 is new information! A quick check of the IMDB tells me that Frederik Wiedmann is the composer. Never heard of him

MV

OMG! OMG! OMG!

Complete indiana jones are coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

::(:

:D Good one!

MV's continued quote reads:

MV

lol. Y'a know MV, if this was early 2008, that "whip is crackin" remark would set off a whole ton of speculation if you know what I mean. Just sayin :-)

Well, we already know that Batman Returns is coming so if you really wanted it to be a score reference you could always link it to that due to Catwoman.

No, its to the remastered Indiana Jones Box set we are currently working on.

D'oh!

Just ruined the surprise.

wink

MV

PS I AM KIDDING!!!! We are not doing a box set of Indy. That would be silly. The one that is out there now is just fine....It's Zorro we are working on.

PPS I AM KIDDING...AGAIN

PPPS Or am I? Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. . . .and so on and so forth.

All this ink from printing out orders has made me delirious.

This morning in my car on the way to work, I played Track #1 from the Super Tracks Krull CD, and then immediately played Track #1 from the La La Land CD.

I thought the La La Land sounded better - sound was more balanced, the ST was a big high/trebly. Also noticed more detail in the instruments. There was more hiss, though. Also the overall volume was higher.

Another great release from La La Land - keep em coming!

Anybody notice any of these things on their Krull CDs?

All oddities were addressed with my mastering engineer prior to release. Upon massive investigations we determined the following:

Disc one:

TRACK 3 - :50 SECOND MARK

Performance based, a double hit from the glockenspiel player, the sound of a mallet against the metal tone bar.

TRACK 6 - : 58 SECOND MARK

Room noise, sounds like a damper closing, like on a piano, harp, chimes. Something is being muted. (it actually happens twice in succession - @ :58 and :59)

DISC TWO:

TRACK 1 - at :27 seconds and :32 SECONDS

These are made by the first chair strings (left channel). It's a common noise associated with violins, I'm still not really sure what makes it, but I've heard that very same sound a thousand times before in other scores... bow against stand maybe?

TRACK 8 - :55 seconds

Same track at 1:17

That's our friends in the first chair violins again.

Now, as for the 1:17, that is a really weird one. We did make edits there. When James started it was much worse, it sounded like someone sniffling with a runny nose, or some such.

He tried to remove as much as possible, but it's in an area when the woodwinds are playing a figure that goes "up & down & up & down &up & down & up & down..." So he really couldn't

take too much out without really BLEEPING up the musicality of it.

Hope that explains it all.

MV

I don't notice 95% the crap people bitch about at FSM.

And when I do go back and check it's so minuscule I feel bad for the labels that they have to put up with this b.s.

Well everyone complained about "clicks" in The Fugtive so I had to grab headphones and crank the volume to its highest level and tell everyone else in the house to be quiet.

I heard some faint sounds that were probably issues/glitches in the original tapes. If I turn the volume down to acceptable listening levels with headphones I can't even hear them.

I can forgive 95% of the audio glitch complaints. The clipping on the huge reveal chord in the Main Title of Batman falls in the other 5%.

For some reason my La La Land orders always take ages to get to me. Usually when I begin to lose hope. Still waiting for Batman; got my shipping note quite some time ago.

Well for those who are upset about the BATMAN sources used, MV posted in the thread over at FSM that BATMAN RETURNS' elements are in much better shape.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=70557&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=7&r=457#bottom

I have also heard from someone who doesn't wish to be named that the masters for Batman were in very poor shape and that LLL did the best they could with what was available.

I agree about the so called clicking in "The Fugitive" that peopled seemed to hear but like you Mark O. I couldn't hear it. I think some people want to imagine the clicking or just have their headphones turned up way too damn loud.

Now if it was an actual legitimate thing like what happened with Speed 2's disc(s), then I can see the right to complain. However, LLL made a quick response to that and promptly sent out corrected discs. That part was in fault of the manufacturing of the CD by the plant but not LLL directly.

Whoops. I haven't even opened my Speed 2 disc. What could be wrong with it?

There's actual clicks in quite a few of the tracks. I'd check to see if you have a defective disc right away, that way if you do you can contact LLL for a replacement before that sells out.

I have also heard from someone who doesn't wish to be named that the masters for Batman were in very poor shape and that LLL did the best they could with what was available.

Totally understandable. Batman is to MV as Spartacus is to Townson. I'm sure it was given all the care and attention they could. But still unfortunate that WB or whomever didn't take better care of recordings from their biggest film of that era.

For all the FSM weenies crying over the poor sound in Batman, the only other option between presenting LLR's 2-disc album as they did was to never release it and be satisfied with the single disc OST for the rest of our lives.

PS I AM KIDDING!!!! We are not doing a box set of Indy. That would be silly. The one that is out there now is just fine....It's Zorro we are working on.

I hope he was kidding when he said the part that I underlined...

According to Amazon, Mirrors 2 has a release date of October 19th

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003YP7NPI/jwfancom-20

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La-La_Land_Records#Upcoming_titles

MV should also be pre-announcing today their August 17th titles, one of which is likely The Lone Gunmen / Harsh Realm

It's worth noting that La La Land has 8 more batches of releases coming out this year:

1 August 17th

2 September 7th

3 September 21st

4 October 5th

5 October 19th

6 November 2nd

7 November 16th

8 November 30th

Which is probably about 20 or so titles total (MV said each batch would have 2-3 titles)

We already know what 10 of those 20ish titles are:

1 Mark Snow - The Lone Gunmen / Harsh Realm

2 Rachel Portman - The Storyteller / Greek Myths

3 W.G. Snuffy Walden - Friday Night Lights

4 Frederik Wiedmann - Mirrors 2

5 Mark Snow - The X-Files (4CD)

6 John Frizzell - Alien Resurrection (2CD)

7 Danny Elfman - Batman Returns (2CD)

8 John Morris - Clue

9 Bear McCreary - Human Target (3CD)

10 James Horner - Jade

We also know that MV told us titles would be coming from Michael Kamen and Les Baxter this year. He also told us two rejected scores would be coming.

My predictions for November 30th are: Batman Returns by Elfman, HOOK by John Williams, and Die Hard boxset by Michael Kamen

Indeed.

Hopefully you don't have a wife or girlfriend with a late November due date.

And hopefully Varese doesn't hold the rights to Die Hard 2 in perpetuity.