The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

May be a good thing Herrmann's not around to approve an expansion. He'd probably put a program together and shout or burst into tears of general frustration at the mere suggestion of changing something. If you've heard the extended interview with him from the 70s, the idea that he's working for a director who might have an opinion on his music seems completely foreign to him. I don't think he'd get a scoring job nowadays.

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Bit depressing about how unpleasantly negative some of the Herrmann fans are on Facebook though. I mean. Not necessary. 

Where? I thought I was part of all the Herrmann groups and I only noticed one or two negative comments (and even they weren't over the top). Most people were pretty positive.

Yavar

17 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Where? I thought I was part of all the Herrmann groups and I only noticed one or two negative comments (and even they weren't over the top). Most people were pretty positive.

Yavar

https://m.facebook.com/groups/HerrmannSociety/permalink/2619969914842927/?ref=share&mibextid=NOb6eG

12 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Yeah, I had seen that thread earlier today when there was just one negative comment. Even now I only see three total negative comments about the Addison there (two of which are replies to that first one, chiming in with agreement). Hardly a chorus, really.

Yavar

I tried to keep up with those new Trek releases, despite owning the big box set -- but they're making it unfeasible for me to do so.  I do want that Torn Curtain release, though.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Andy said:

Without question.  If you have even a passing interest in the fantasy genre or 80s Bernstein, this is a wonderful variety platter.  And yet it’s also a throwback to golden age epic as well. 

Easily my favorite Bernstein from the 80s, and more varied than Ghostbusters. 

What is the better Bernstein 80s fantasy score: Heavy Metal or The Black Cauldron?

In terms of likely releases (i.e. not SW/Indy), The Patriot and The Terminal are my list this year, JW-wise. I find the Patriot OST a tad overlong but I get the impression it's another classic case of Williams being an idiot when choosing material and the full score will likely offer at least a full canvas to create a better album. There's one theme in particular that I hope is featured more than is found on the album.

To be perfectly honest, once we have those two, it comes down to RotS/LC for me.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

What is the better Bernstein 80s fantasy score: Heavy Metal or The Black Cauldron?

Good question.  I’d give it to Heavy Metal.  Black Cauldron is no slouch. It’s pretty grand.  Neither score was part of my formative years, but I did experience Heavy Metal much sooner than the score to Black Cauldron, for which I’ve never seen the film.  Admittedly I’m much more familiar with Heavy Metal, but I think that’s because I just like it and return to it more. 

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

And I still haven't recovered from Hook so no big deal at all.

What do you mean by "recovered"?

Speaking of which, still I haven't listened to that one.

I don't know, I listen to loads of other soundtracks, but not the ones I buy! :P

I haven't listened to a John Williams soundtrack for so much time.

I digged into Bernstein's Heavy Metal score on YouTube and really liked what I heard. Funnily somehow the score to me sounds just like another Western score of his, but a good one. 

• 2 weeks later...

That's weird. Maybe something they didn't think would be ready to go this month suddenly was?

If Intrada's about to do Backdraft, I ponder whether someone at Universal finally found a pen and signed off a load of projects recently, and something in LLL's pipeline was suddenly ready?

Gotta be something big to merit this kind of hype and a surprise Saturday release from LLL.  Frankly, my wishlist is pretty short right now, and it’s basically all Williams.  The Elfmans all sloughed off the list mysteriously last July, and everything else I want has already been released satisfactorily for me.  It’ll probably be some Goldsmith or Horner release that a lot of people will dig.

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Gotta be something big to merit this kind of hype and a surprise Saturday release from LLL.  Frankly, my wishlist is pretty short right now, and it’s basically all Williams.  The Elfmans all sloughed off the list mysteriously last July, and everything else I want has already been released satisfactorily for me.  It’ll probably be some Goldsmith or Horner release that a lot of people will dig.

It's the Complete Elfman Edition. 

4 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Any anniversaries coming up?

Sugarland Express just passed it's 50th. I doubt this is for a score release probably just something else. 

7 minutes ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Sugarland Express just passed it's 50th. I doubt this is for a score release probably just something else. 

If Sugarland happens before Star Wars or Indiana Jones, it'd debunk my theory that JW himself is holding back those expansions and confirm that Disney/Lucasfilm are exclusively to blame.