The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

Music Box Records is a great alternative, especially if you reside in Europe, but if PayPal is blocked in your country, then I presume you live much farther. 

I wish I’d kept up with the earlier Next Gen/Voyager/Enterprise releases.  I’m sure there’s nice stuff on them, but it’s too pricey on the secondary market for me to go back now.   So I’ll stick with my true love, TOS era. 

Nice to finally get an update. I’ll just plan on spinning The Hidden World a bunch before maybe getting my Bond CDs around the beginning of March.

All sympathies, Jay. The dread hand of bureaucracy interfering with art and capitalism again. 

Ah, that’s a bummer, though. I’d hoped to pick up my Bond CDs from a friend’s address in the UK at the end of Feb, but it’s unlikely they’ll arrive in time for my visit from mainland Europe now. I’ll just have to wait. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm assuming this is the only release for March from LLL?  Happy for those who've been waiting for this one for a while, looks like it's chock-full of goodies including the pop songs!

1 hour ago, Dr. Rick said:

I'm assuming this is the only release for March from LLL?

They haven't announced anything about if they are going to do flyers this year or just surprise drop every release like this.  Guess we're in wait-and-see mode.

Any recommendations on how to get in contact with someone from LLL for support? I've reached out via email twice but haven't gotten a response (I received Die Another Day instead of Octopussy on my last order.)

Edit: I just heard back from them; I assume they have just been quite busy. If anyone ends up missing Die Another Day I'll have an extra copy.

So they really put Top Gun up for sale at 10AM on a Friday instead of the usual time on a Tuesday? Do we think this is going to be the new normal?

9 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

So they really put Top Gun up for sale at 10AM on a Friday instead of the usual time on a Tuesday? Do we think this is going to be the new normal?

That's probably just the danger zone.

On 2/3/2024 at 3:17 AM, Jay said:

1. Yes this is it for March. I think that's enough, don't you? Lol

2. This was supposed to come out for Black Friday, but we didn't get final art approval on time.

Original 2023 slate we wanted

HOOK
TOP GUN
MASK OF ZORRO
TOPAZ
OCTOPUSSY
LALD
SILENT NIGHT

3. Lots of hoops, approvals and delays to make this a reality

4. The whole Bond nonsense delayed things. This was gonna be a Valentine's Day gift to y'all, but because of Octopussy shipments being delayed we had to delay Top Gun. Shipping would have been a logistical nightmare, so we sat there for the last few weeks like Mel Gibson in Braveheart shouting out Hoooold! Hoooold!

5. All Bond orders have been shipped out by now. Top Gun will most likely start shipping later next week(and no it won't be delayed... we're sure of that)

6. Next comes the nightmare of Scarface LPs and getting those in and shipping out...that will happen after Bond. By April things will have settled down and gone back to normal with 2 new releases dropping on April 2

Thanks for all your patience and continued support.

MV

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=156310&forumID=1&archive=0

IMG_0135.jpeg

“Releasing soundtracks ain’t like dusting crops, boy!”

It sure ain’t for the faint-hearted.

13 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

I think the new norm is that there is no norm. Everything's been pretty hectic lately, so anything can happen anytime. 

13 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

According to this it seems that it will be back to Tuesday again. 

On 02/03/2024 at 3:17 AM, Jay said:

By April things will have settled down and gone back to normal with 2 new releases dropping on April 2

• 4 weeks later...

It's nice for them to take a break from the extremely popular releases and do something a little more niche (at least I personally have never before heard of these films or composers). 

And it's nice for me that my wallet can recover before the next John Williams round - Please be Catch Me If You Can or The Terminal!

4 minutes ago, DangerMotif said:

They’ve been doing this for over a year straight 

I wouldn't call Hook, The Mask of Zorro, Octopussy, Live and Let Die, or Top Gun niche...

Their Facebook post is extremely funny:

New releases for April 2024 (yes, that's it... that's what is coming out this month, so please don't ask us if something else is coming later in the month. See how this works? 😁)

It's like they're saying "yeah, we know, no Williams, Horner, Goldsmith, etc., just minor scores from mostly unknown composers, now stop whining"

Possibly the first time that not only have I never heard of either film in a flyer, I've not sure I've heard of either composer.

They're the sort of thing I'd normally expect to see from someone like Quartet, not LLL. I'm assuming that they've got lots of bigger titles waiting in various stages of development/approval hell.

6 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

They're the sort of thing I'd normally expect to see from someone like Quartet, not LLL. I'm assuming that they've got lots of bigger titles waiting in various stages of development/approval hell.

The LLL guys are big fans of Oliver Nelson (again, particularly his music for The Six Million Dollar Man has been expressed as a grail for the label, for some time) so I assure you this isn't a minor title for them, or a placeholder.

Yavar

Oh I'm in no doubt they're putting out stuff they love, but in the wider soundtrack community and for fans of more modern stuff, it feels rather niche.

If we get to June's flyer and I don't recognise any composers, then I'll start to ask what's going on :lol:

A quick scan through Discogs, and I think this is the first ever score release for Oliver Nelson.  Unless I’m not seeing one. 

I love when the labels present something unusual that’s a labor of love.  That’s how gems are discovered. 

1 minute ago, Andy said:

A quick scan through Discogs, and I think this is the first ever score release for Oliver Nelson.  Unless I’m not seeing one. 

The only film score of his ever released on album (until tomorrow) was Zigzag, which FSM premiered on CD many years ag

Ah, I stand corrected. 

Well I love the bongo heavy $6MDM sound, which reminds me of being very young.  So I think I’ll be on board for this. 

20 minutes ago, Andy said:

I love when the labels present something unusual that’s a labor of love.  That’s how gems are discovered. 

You need this great FSM release! Figured you could use a link to check out the sound samples... 

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm/CDID/354/Zigzag-The-Super-Cops/

It's OOP but pretty affordable secondhand on Discogs: https://www.discogs.com/release/9303368-Oliver-Nelson-Jerry-Fielding-Zigzag-The-Super-Cops-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack

Very cool of FSM to premiere the LP recording on CD along with the film recording which had previously been completely unreleased! Really neat to have them side by side.

Yavar

So I've been getting LLL emails since my first order with them ~20 years ago, but I did not get the email about today's releases for some reason.  Did anybody else who normally gets their emails not get today's?

Here's what I found from those who did get it on FSM:

25% OFF YOUR ENTIRE ORDER OF IN-STOCK TITLES

starts April 2 at 12 noon (pst)!!!

That’s right! It’s time to Spring into great savings with 25% OFF YOUR ENTIRE ORDER of IN-STOCK titles – including this month’s two new releases!
Discount will be applied at checkout. (This offer applies to IN-STOCK items only and excludes our SCARFACE VINYL 2XLP and the purchase of Gift Certificates).

Special offer starts 4/2 at 12 noon (pst) and runs through 4/16

Only at www.lalalandrecords.com

BACK IN STOCK

TITANIC: LIMITED EDITION (4-CD SET) – LAST BATCH!!!
THE MASK OF ZORRO: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET)
THE KARATE KID 35th ANNIV: LIMITED EDITION – LAST BATCH!!!

Get ‘em starting as part of our 25% OFF special! – TITANIC and KARATE KID are gone for good once they are sold out!

Please be patient with shipping. We are working steadily to get orders out in a timely fashion. Expect up to 10 business days from the date you place your order for it to ship from our warehouse and, then, we respectfully ask customers wait up to 4 weeks to inquire about packages/deliveries not yet received. All such inquiries should be made to info AT lalaland-ent DOT com – Thank you.

NOTE: New orders may not be combined with previous or current orders.

La-La Land Records and MGM proudly present the re-issue of acclaimed composer Sylvester Levay’s (COBRA, HOT SHOTS!, STONE COLD) original motion picture score for the 1990 big-screen ensemble actioner NAVY SEALS, starring Charlie Sheen, Michael Biehn and Bill Paxton, and directed by Lewis Teague.

A notable ‘90’s action score, Sylvester Levay’s NAVY SEALS unleashes the composer’s inventive, unique and strikingly effective meld of live orchestra and synthesizer, resulting in a work that is thematically charged, robust and brassy, while also teaming with exciting electronic rhythms and textures.

This release uses the previous stereo Intrada album for its main score presentation, resequenced into chronological order and with a re-creation of the end titles. The additional bonus mono cues are sourced from a mono 1/4" tape provided by MGM.

Produced by Neil S. Bulk and mastered by Doug Schwartz, this limited edition CD release of 1000 units features exclusive, in-depth liner notes by author Jeff Bond, featuring new interview comments from the composer and art direction by Dan Goldwasser.

SCORE PRESENTATION 52:45
1. Main Title – Navy SEALs 3:10
2. The First Mission 2:00
3. Search Team 4:52
4. The Missiles 0:21
5. Freighter Raid 6:14
6. Never Talk About Mom 0:56
7. Training Camp 1:40
8. High Jumpers 5:22
9. Into Town 4:49
10. Graham’s Dead 1:21
11. Funeral 2:00
12. The Flag 2:17
13. Going To Beirut 4:53
14. God Is Dead 0:55
15. Sneak To The Building / Planting The Dynamite 3:16
16. Da Auto Part I 1:19
17. Da Auto Part II 1:23
18. Back To The Sub 2:01
19. To The Rescue 1:11
20. End Title – Navy SEALs 2:14

ADDITIONAL MUSIC 8:24
21. Tears Of Rage (SOURCE) 1:03
22. Main Title (MONO, FILM VERSION) 3:17
23. You’re Welcome (MONO) 0:41
24. Saving Curran (MONO) 0:25
25. Da Auto Part I (MONO, EXTENDED VERSION) 1:29
26. Underwater Fight (MONO) 1:18

TOTAL ALBUM TIME 61:15

La-La Land Records and Universal Studios proudly present the nineteenth title within the acclaimed Universal Pictures Film Music Classics Collection – DEATH OF A GUNFIGHTER, with music by the distinguished jazz player and arranger Oliver Nelson (IRONSIDE, THE NAME OF THE GAME, THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN). Available for the first time in any format, acclaimed composer Oliver Nelson’s brilliant original motion picture score for 1969’s big-screen western DEATH OF A GUNFIGHTER, paired on this release with his jungle-adventure score for 1970’s SKULLDUGGERY, marks the world-premiere release of this music in this limited edition CD presentation.

Considered one of the most distinct and underrated composers of the late ’60s and early ’70s, Oliver Nelson tragically passed away of a heart-attack in 1975 at the young age of 43, sadly cutting the African-American maestro’s fast-growing canon of work short. From his lean, elegiac and blues-tinged work on DEATH OF A GUNFIGHTER to his rousing and rhythmically charged score for SKULLDUGGERY, this release vividly demonstrates Nelson’s incredible talents and versatility. Also featured here is the song from DEATH OF A GUNFIGHTER, “Sweet Apple Wine,” performed by one of the film’s stars, the great Lena Horne.

Produced, mixed, edited and mastered by Mike Matessino from stereo vault elements, this special limited edition of 1500 units features exclusive liner notes written by author Jeff Bond and sharp art direction by Dan Goldwasser.

DEATH OF A GUNFIGHTER
1. Sweet Apple Wine 1:11 Performed by Lena Horne
2. Emblem 0:26
3. Main Title (‘Death Of A Gunfighter’) 1:14
4. Claire / Cottonwood Spring / Good Night Marshal 3:12
5. Dark Stable 1:22
6. Claire Asleep 1:04
7. Poor Luke 1:02
8. Fish Pond / Get Up Pa 2:22
9. Father And Son 1:53
10. Cool Off 3:30
11. Grim Walk / Oxley And Rifle 2:28
12. Damn It Andy / Confused Patch / Goodbye Frank 4:13
13. Wedding Day 2:37
14. Will Gets His 2:33
15. Light Gun Battle 1:24
16. Last Walk 1:25
17. End Title (‘Death Of A Gunfighter’) 1:12
18. Sweet Apple Wine (Long Version) 2:21 Performed by Lena Horne
Total Time: 35:43

SKULLDUGGERY
19. Main Title (‘Skullduggery’) 4:02
20. Tool Shed / Smash The Bottle 2:19
21. Paddlers 0:43
22. Boat Trip 2:27
23. The Trip Continues 3:03
24. Sack Time 1:18
25. Rain Forest 2:25
26. Let’s Get Out 1:24
27. Him Lost 1:20
28. Come In / Hidden Valley 1:22
29. Salty Bones 1:55
30. Don’t Keep Your Fossils Waiting 0:51
31. Enter Tropis 1:09
32. Rover Or Sport 1:53
33. How About A Kiss 1:16
34. Trek Back 0:50
35. Mining Operation 1:10
36. Bare Midriff / Morris Minor 1:19
37. Missing Link Murder / Head Lines 0:39
38. He Was Born Dead 2:49
39. Topazia’s Rag Doll 1:13
40. End Title (‘Skullduggery’) 1:34
Total Time: 37:30

Total Album Time: 73:20

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Did anybody else who normally gets their emails not get today's?

I haven't been getting them for months now. I tried writing emails to them but no answer, I messaged them on FB and after a week or two they responded... to write them an email. Wrote again, no response, no newsletter.

I got the e-mail way earlier this morning and I seem to get them on a regular basis.

Now if they could at some point get TLW back in stock, that would be very helpful.

I got it too. Never had e-mail problems, it was the FB problem that took years to sort.

Also, how on earth is Titanic only going OOP now? The hype surrounding that score release was quite insane. With good reason.