Horn Concerto: recording news

MovieMusicMaestro

John's Horn Concerto was recorded by Karl Pituch and the Detroit Symphony Orchestra (Leonard Slatkin, conductor) on the Naxos label. The release shall be within the next few weeks.

The Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra and Bill Caballero will present the Horn Concerto this weekend at Heinz Hall: www.pittsburghsymphony.org

More information:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09295/1007293-388.stm

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, great news! Where did you get this info? I checked out some time ago the recording schedule of Naxos for late 2009 and there was no mention of the DSO nor Slatkin.

Should this mean they're starting in Naxos a series of recordings of Williams' concert works, the same way they've done with Corigliano and they're doing now with Daugherty? :) I HOPE SO! Slatkin is indeed the right man for this task. He's conducting the Violin Concerto this season with his orchestra.

Oh, right! I thought the link was for the Pittsburgh concert only. It's probably a live recording of the concerto from 2007, when they played it within the season of the DSO. I wonder what will accompany the CD. No release date from what I see, by the way. It can be in December, it can be next year, or whenever.

From an interview with Lenny Slatkin in September 2009:

"We’re also doing all of the concertos that John Williams has written, using members of our orchestra for the solo parts. The Horn Concerto, I think, is going to be available online in the next month."

http://classicalmusic.suite101.com/article.cfm/qa_with_conductor_leonard_slatkin

Oh, Online. That's ok. It's not part of the November releases of Naxos, I bet they'll release the CD later on.

Naxos wants me to redo them now. And we’ve already completed most of the disc of music of a Belarussian composer who’s lived in the states since 1994 named Alla Borzova. We’re also doing all of the concertos that John Williams has written, using members of our orchestra for the solo parts. The Horn Concerto, I think, is going to be available online in the next month.

From what I understand, they're doing it for Naxos! Which doesn't come as surprise to me, because Slatkin has stated several times that Williams will be one of the composers of our time to be performed over the centuries ahead.

This is the best news of the year! This means they'll be doing, eventually, the clarinet concerto, the viola concerto and the harp concerto too (the other unrecorded concertos)!

I personally am very curious to hear this Flute Concerto that John Williams apparently wrote....

The Flute Concerto was recorded by the London Symphony Orchestra and Lenny Slatkin in the 1970s. It is on one disc with the first version of the Violin Concerto.

Excellent news! I have waited for an official recording of horn concerto for ages.:)

And now they are doing all of them. Incredible!

All of the concertos? :ola::) Since Naxos offer their CDs at reasonable prices I may finally aquire more of JW's serious works.

I wonder if this release will consist only of Williams' music, because so far his Naxos releases also included works of other artists.

There are a lot of great performances on Naxos, I'm sure Slatkin put in a great one as well - he's one of the A-List conductors, after all. I think the "budget label" stigma is very often undeserved.

"Only" the concertos or also other concert pieces?

Slatkin says "all the concertos", so probably it means just that. But I hope he'll throw in some other goodies, like Soundings or for Seiji! or the newly-arranged Air and Simple Gifts.

I personally am very curious to hear this Flute Concerto that John Williams apparently wrote....

The Flute Concerto is quite advanced musically. I think, along with "Images", is his most avant garde work. It is one of my favorite of his concert pieces along with this early Violin Concerto.

The Flute Concerto is quite advanced musically. I think, along with "Images", is his most avant garde work. It is one of my favorite of his concert pieces along with this early Violin Concerto.

It's just a fantastic CD and beautifully recorded. None of the later 'classical' releases have the same kind of impact on me. It's almost as if the album is positively possessed!

Alex

Slatkin says "all the concertos", so probably it means just that. But I hope he'll throw in some other goodies, like Soundings or for Seiji! or the newly-arranged Air and Simple Gifts.

But first and foremost, please, 7 for Luck.

I see it rather unlikely, like you say, Maurizio.

But first and foremost, please, 7 for Luck.

I see it rather unlikely, like you say, Maurizio.

• 2 weeks later...

According to the interview (published in Spetember), the concert was supposed to be on the market in a month. It's November now and still there is no word on Naxos website about this.

I really hope this project succeeds and we get all JWs concert pieces and even some other unreleased concert hall material available for the very first time

On a sadder note. Slatkin has had a quite serious heart attack and undergone surgery but luckily he is recovering:

Conductor Slatkin Recovering After Heart Attack

• 2 weeks later...

This is the best news of the year! This means they'll be doing, eventually, the clarinet concerto, the viola concerto and the harp concerto too (the other unrecorded concertos)!

Well, the clarinet concerto was already released, but the crappy-sounding mp3.com release (a LEGITIMATE release, mind you) did not do it justice. It deserves better. I hope they will able to cram in some of these unreleased concert works as well:

2003 - Soundings

1999 - For Seiji!

1998 - Seven for Luck

1997 - Elegy for Cello and Piano

1995 - Variations on Happy Birthday

1992 - Fanfare for Prince Philip

1988 - Fanfare for Michael Dukakis

1988 - Fanfare for Ten-Year-Olds

1986 - Celebration Fanfare

1982 - Esplanade Overture

1980 - Fanfare for a Festive Occasion

1966 - Symphony no. 1

1951? - Piano Sonata (student piece)

1951? - Wind Quintet (student piece)

2003 - Soundings

1999 - For Seiji!

1998 - Seven for Luck

1997 - Elegy for Cello and Piano

1995 - Variations on Happy Birthday

1992 - Fanfare for Prince Philip

1988 - Fanfare for Michael Dukakis

1988 - Fanfare for Ten-Year-Olds

1986 - Celebration Fanfare

1982 - Esplanade Overture

1980 - Fanfare for a Festive Occasion

1966 - Symphony no. 1

1951? - Piano Sonata (student piece)

1951? - Wind Quintet (student piece)

yep,that's the current wish list.+ that harp thing

Isn't Esplanade Overture pretty much the same thing as a piece from the Monsignor score?

"Meeting in Sicily", yeah, to an extent, but it is different enough to warrant a separate recording and release, IMO. The bootleg version that is floating around is simply too crappy-sounding.

• 2 months later...

Leonard Slatkin returned to the podium and conducted the DSO on January 14. The program consisted of Beethoven's Symphony No. 3 in E-flat ("Eroica") and the Williams Violin Concerto. The Detroit News write up about the concert mentioned the upcoming recordings:

Detroit News Link

And that is the conductor's homecoming.

Well, that and film composer John Williams' Violin Concerto, with DSO concertmaster Emmanuelle Boisvert as soloist.

Slatkin, who gave the concerto its premiere with the St. Louis Symphony in 1981, says the DSO will record the work for release on CD. It will be coupled with Williams' 1994 Cello Concerto, to be performed next season by DSO principal cellist Robert deMaine.

So we get the Violin Concerto and the Cello Concerto....again??

What about the HORN CONCERTO!!!

The Horn Concerto has already been recorded by Slatkin and the DSO (with Karl Pituch as the soloist) and it's planned to be release on Naxos in the near future.

Let's hope the Clarinet Concerto will be recorded soon, as it's one of the few that's still officially unreleased.

So we get the Violin Concerto and the Cello Concerto....again??

What about the HORN CONCERTO!!!

The Horn Concerto has already been recorded by Slatkin and the DSO (with Karl Pituch as the soloist) and it's planned to be release on Naxos in the near future.

Let's hope the Clarinet Concerto will be recorded soon, as it's one of the few that's still officially unreleased.

Really?! Wow, that are very good news. Didn't know about that.

Oh and the Clarinet Concerto would be awesome. The existing recording is a mess soundquality-wise.

• 4 months later...