Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

It's quite similar to the mental health and guns issue.

No it's not. A psycho with a PS3 is not a threat to public safety, a psycho with a PS3 and access to a large variety of shotguns - well...

But the PS3 didn't make him kill people. He didn't even need the shotguns, he could use knives for the intimacy of close kills, or a pressure cooker for a wide kill area. The mental conditions necessary to want to kill another human being did not start with video games, and killers are not limited to those who play games.

And on the flipside, people who tend to look at the person's mental illness to the exclusion of certain environmental factors, which may include gaming and/or access to firearms. It's that age old tendency to blame or dissociated oneself from the 'other', washing one's hands.

But the PS3 didn't make him kill people. He didn't even need the shotguns, he could use knives for the intimacy of close kills, or a pressure cooker for a wide kill area.

No, but guns are so much more convenient, more efficient, and more clinical. It's easier to dissociate oneself from one's actions firing a gun than it is when stabbing someone stabbing to death.

But take away guns and you wouldn't prevent the murders caused without guns. Take away the video games and you won't stop the murders caused by people who don't play them. Those are scapegoats for the deeper psychological issues of bad parenting, revenge against bullies, religious zealots, and people with no fear or respect of consequences.

But take away guns and you wouldn't prevent the murders caused without guns. Take away the video games and you won't stop the murders caused by people who don't play them.

Of course, but that's not what we're talking about.

Those are scapegoats for the deeper psychological issues of bad parenting, revenge against bullies, religious zealots, and people with no fear or respect of consequences.

In which video games can help exacerbate the situation.

But take away guns and you wouldn't prevent the murders caused without guns. Take away the video games and you won't stop the murders caused by people who don't play them.

Of course, but that's not what we're talking about.

Love a good straw man argument!

Dont we have a thread for video game stuff? I mean we really should not have too much of it spread on the MB.

Duly Noted, Neighbour. Still learning how this place works. :D

Honest inquiry: there's a topic for video games, is there one for video game scores, because I'm seriously into those as well.

Me too. Nowadays I tend to prefer them to movie scores.

Take no notice of Stefancos, he's a twat.

It's quite similar to the mental health and guns issue.

No it's not. A psycho with a PS3 is not a threat to public safety, a psycho with a PS3 and access to a large variety of shotguns - well...

But the PS3 didn't make him kill people. He didn't even need the shotguns, he could use knives for the intimacy of close kills, or a pressure cooker for a wide kill area. The mental conditions necessary to want to kill another human being did not start with video games, and killers are not limited to those who play games.

What has that to do with playing video games? Maybe it only looks like so gross from beyond the big pond but i find the not-so-recent US developments, namely nearly monthly mass shootings in public high schools etc. very disturbing. As for the knifes...well, i look for all those headlines about bloody knife massacres in gun-regulated countries, but oh wait: wherever general public isn't allowed to buy guns, these hardly ever come to the fore. And if they happen, they are still executed with guns.

I don't care for video games in this context, as they are mostly irrelevant to this, or at best a vent.

I just found about this Finnish record label that has recently released a recording of John Williams' Trumpet concerto!

The Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra: John Williams / Arttu Sipiläinen: Concertos for Trumpet and Orchestra

They're the great easy scapegoat for conservative America. Before that it was Punk music.

Of course, it is the parents who are really to blame, as always.

In about 10 to 15 years, the quality of the graphics and the gameplay will be so advanced that it will not be possible to tell the difference between the gaming environment and real life, especially when VR becomes a real viable thing.

The look and feel of killing in Call of Duty XXI will be almost indistinguishable from reality. Which will lead to a rise of "thrill seeker" killings of gamers who have lost the distinction.

In about 10 to 15 years, the quality of the graphics and the gameplay will be so advanced that it will not be possible to tell the difference between the gaming environment and real life, especially when VR becomes a real viable thing.

The look and feel of killing in Call of Duty XXI will be almost indistinguishable from reality. Which will lead to a rise of "thrill seeker" killings of gamers who have lost the distinction.

It's gonna be awesome! The graphics, I mean.

Can't stand CoD. Battlfield all the way. Looks great on my new telly!

Just wait till your Bruce doesnt know the difference between gameplay and real life and strangles his cat because he thought it would get him bonus points!

At least, that'll put that poor vegan cat out of his misery.

Just wait till your Bruce doesnt know the difference between gameplay and real life and strangles his cat because he thought it would get him bonus points!

You have to watch yourself in my neighbourhood. I might be hurling coloured blocks at you.

You have to watch yourself in my neighbourhood. I might be hurling coloured blocks at you.

You dont believe games will oneday reach "holodeck" levels of reality?

Not for a second. Holodecks, replicators, and transporters are all variants on a theme: the nondestructive conversion of matter to energy and back again. Hiroshima saw firsthand how much energy can be unleashed if used in an uncontrolled manner. I don't think we'll be able to capture that technology for home entertainment use, not on anything bigger than an electron or photon. The "Heisenberg compensator" is a completely fictitious technology that permits these to work.

The best we'll get is dancing with a hollow blue Princess Leia or realistic Tupac, which is just light projected on a stage.

Fargo by Jeff Russo.

Been waiting for this to come out since a few episodes in - Russo's done a great job of using the same musical sound as Burwell and coming up with an equally memorable theme.

Not for a second. Holodecks, replicators, and transporters are all variants on a theme: the nondestructive conversion of matter to energy and back again. Hiroshima saw firsthand how much energy can be unleashed if used in an uncontrolled manner. I don't think we'll be able to capture that technology for home entertainment use, not on anything bigger than an electron or photon. The "Heisenberg compensator" is a completely fictitious technology that permits these to work. The best we'll get is dancing with a hollow blue Princess Leia or realistic Tupac, which is just light projected on a stage.

I wasnt talking so much about the technology as i was of the concept of realistic enviroments.

Even if matter cannot be created, the mind can be made to believe things that are not real.

Data imput that bypasses sensory organs will one day be a fact.

You distinctly insinuated that a child would not tell a real cat from a fake cat. The fake cat would not be environment, it would need to be rendered in a way to deceive the hands in addition to the eye.

Just arrived:

The Lion King: Legacy Collection

Ordered:

Night Crossing (Intrada)

Young Sherlock Holmes (Intrada)

Deep Rising (Intrada)

Marnie (McNeely re-recording)

The Lost World: Jurassic Park. Got it second hand off e-bay since you can't buy it new (or even stream it on spotify) but it looks as good as new (clear slimey gunk where a sticker used to reside aside). Was there supposed to be a booklet or anything included because there wasn't any with mine. Still very good value for €6.50 delivered IMO.

Is that the crappy 3D diorama thingie? I've never seen more useless packaging... The CD has been in a jewel case with custom printed artwork since 1997.

You're right... no booklet present.

I believe it's a DINOrama :mrgreen: But yeah, pretty useless packaging but it's all in good condition. There's nothing (aside from a cardboard flap) to keep the CD in place. Weird.

Ordered:

Night Crossing (Intrada)

Young Sherlock Holmes (Intrada)

Deep Rising (Intrada)

Marnie (McNeely re-recording)

Darn it! Screen Archives has deleted Marnie from my shipped order. Apparently it was already sold out but hadn't left their inventory yet. Oh well, I'll have to check elsewhere.

Darn it! Screen Archives has deleted Marnie from my shipped order. Apparently it was already sold out but hadn't left their inventory yet. Oh well, I'll have to check elsewhere.

Happens all the time, sadly. Especially when I've had used stuff in my shopping cart for a few weeks before finally completing the order.

We'll see if Water Horse lasts this time.

If they at least informed you via email when shipping, instead of just putting a hand written paper slip in the box...

That's the reason I've finally purchased Dead Men Ride. It's been on my wish list for well over a year, and at $30, cheaper newer titles got priority in my shopping cart. I took the plunge lest they run out of copies and I'm left empty handed. Same situation with Django Spara Prima and some other $30+ Italian scores.

Happens all the time, sadly. Especially when I've had used stuff in my shopping cart for a few weeks before finally completing the order.

We'll see if Water Horse lasts this time.

If they at least informed you via email when shipping, instead of just putting a hand written paper slip in the box...

Well no, I only noticed it when I was refunded on Paypal, then I went to the order status on their homepage and saw Marnie : 0 copies shipped. No paper slip in the box either.

Truthfully, I have had zero problems in the 16 years I've been ordering with them. They are the most trustworthy and speedy online shop I've ever come across.