Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

The orchestration was incrementally updated from the original small scale synthetic version to the fully fledged orchestral version.

Clemmensen has a good summary of it.

https://www.filmtracks.com/titles/les_miserables12.html

I see. Planning on attending the show performance in London at some point this year and trying to familiarise myself more with the music. My understanding is this is the fullest version available?

Karol

56 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Video images!

320x240 pixel stills images taken from a video?

16 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I see. Planning on attending the show performance in London at some point this year and trying to familiarise myself more with the music. My understanding is this is the fullest version available?

The version performed at the West End isn't "symphonic" anyway. I have the 1996 Royal Albert Hall live concert recording and felt well prepared enough when I watched it a few years ago (I think it was the day after the infamous Williams-without-Williams concert).

23 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The version performed at the West End isn't "symphonic" anyway. I have the 1996 Royal Albert Hall live concert recording and felt well prepared enough when I watched it a few years ago (I think it was the day after the infamous Williams-without-Williams concert).

That's the recording Clemmensen recommended, although it was written before the 2020 recording was made.

6 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Tell us about the "infamous Williams-without-Williams concert". What happened? Why was he not there?

Because he arrived sick in London and was taken to hospital, and Dirk Brossé had to step in and conduct the concert. You know that.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Because he arrived sick in London and was taken to hospital, and Dirk Brossé had to step in and conduct the concert. You know that.

'96? I didn't know that. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You mean Dirk poisoned him.

Dirk Brossé did some great work arranging Yes' MAGNIFICATION album.

24 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

'96? I didn't know that. Thanks.

No! 1996 is the year of the Les Misérables Royal Albert Hall recording. Which is the recording I have on CD, which is how I became familiar with the musical, before I finally saw it live in London in (I think) 2018 when I was there for the Williams concert that ended up not being conducted by Williams.

I didn't go to London until 2001 (for Goldsmith). Which is why 2018 would have been my first time to see Williams live.

On 07/02/2022 at 9:33 AM, crocodile said:

So which later recording would you guys recommend? 1996 or 2020? What about the 2010 one?

Karol

When I compared the 1996 and 2010 recordings, my overall preference was the former, although the latter has somewhat fuller orchestrations - for example, the 1996 recording has a piano in the Look Down track which was later eliminated. I haven't listened closely to the 2020 version yet. The film version has revised orchestrations by Anne Dudley, and I would have preferred her take on Look Down hadn't it been for the singing of a certain Aussie.

I just purchased the FLACs of Galaxy's Edge and Geisha (the iTune Sessions), because I just realized I only had them in mp3... and well, they'll probably never be released on CD... :blush2:

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

I don't know this pianist

That's because he's the conductor, these are the orchestral versions. I'm no big fan of solo piano.

@Marian Schedenig @Jurassic Shark I received my copy of the RAH recording of Les Miserables. Listened to it last night and it was quite enchanting. I don't know the entire show so booked myself a ticket for London performance on the same weekend I'm attending live to projection Superman. Really looking forward to it, live shows are my new sub-hobby. Got a ticket for The Lion King as well to pair it with The Fellowship of the Ring in May. It started when my mum visited me in November we went to see Phantom of the Opera in London. That got me hooked!

Karol

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's perhaps the greatest musical!

You mean Les Miserables? Is the film worth checking out? Or is it as shite as Phantom?

Karol

As surprising as it may seem, I do not know "Les Misérables", except the title.

Never read the book, never saw the movies nor the musicals.

11 minutes ago, crocodile said:

It started when my mum visited me in November we went to see Phantom of the Opera in London. That got me hooked!

I refuse to watch musicals where I live, because I can't stand German musical singing (neither the language not the style). The first I watched live was Phantom in London - quite spectacular, and interestingly playing at the same location where Strauss' Ariadne of Naxos had its London premiere.

5 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Les Miserables? Is the film worth checking out?

Jackman's singing is strained, and Crowe can't sing at all (AT ALL), but aside from that, I liked the film.

20 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I refuse to watch musicals where I live, because I can't stand German musical singing (neither the language not the style). The first I watched live was Phantom in London - quite spectacular, and interestingly playing at the same location where Strauss' Ariadne of Naxos had its London premiere.

Jackman's singing is strained, and Crowe can't sing at all (AT ALL), but aside from that, I liked the film.

Well, the film is on Netflix. Might just give it a go and see myself.

Phantom was indeed spectacular. I first heard the music in 2004 when the film came out. At the time, I didn't think it was that bad. And then I discovered the original cast recording... There sinply no going back... I do actually enjoy the 25th anniversary RAH recording. It's good to have the complete thing. 

Karol

8 hours ago, crocodile said:

You mean Les Miserables? Is the film worth checking out? Or is it as shite as Phantom?

Karol

Yes, Les Mis. The film is good, but Crowe's singing is so bad it drags the film down. I have no problems with Jackman's sing.

Just got this release of Sravinsky's ballet music, Rite of Spring, Firebird and Petrouchka, each as version for orchestra and for piano at four hands. The piano versions are really a great alternative to explore the pieces musically.

IMG_20220214_193627~3.jpg

On 12/02/2022 at 8:56 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

Yes, Les Mis. The film is good, but Crowe's singing is so bad it drags the film down. I have no problems with Jackman's sing.

Jackman is a terribly nasal singer, I can't stand to listen to him.

I haven't heard much of his singing. What little I've heard generally seemed fine, but I have a hard time with his falsetto, so naturally I don't think he's an ideal Valjean.

Am I the only one who always look on composer's Wiki to correctly classify my CD collection by Composer/Year?

Okay, now... "Wanted" by Elfman... it goes between which and which CDs... hehe