Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

Warriors_Virtue_BSX-600.jpg

I hear this one has much improved sound. I liked the original release enough to make me want to buy this.

May also get Jupiter Ascending, a very robust action score, the likes which we don't here much anymore.

71%2BfirMKkdL._SY450_.jpg

Does anybody know if The Story of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is worth getting? At the price of of $4.25, I might just get it for novelty's sake.

I have it. It's interesting in that if I recall correctly, there is the original line of diaologue "If you are a Scottish Lord, then I am MAE WEST!!!"

I grew up with The Story of Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark: The Movie on Record, the Story of The Black Hole, etc. etc. etc. so I have a real nostalgia for these. But I haven't listened to this one in years.

I was just reading about The Classic Soundtrack Collection by Henry Mancini and found it on Amazon UK for only £23.99!

It contains EIGHTEEN original Mancini albums, plus bonus tracks, all remastered. A steal for that price!

So I ordered it, along with Jupiter Ascending OST, and for some reason in my shopping cart, the Mancini box was lowered to £19.99, and Jupiter Ascending was lowered to £9.16!

Final price for both was $51.83 USD, basically $12 for JA and $30 for the 18-album box. Sweet!

714wwgBTqBL._SY355_.jpg

jupiter-ascending-large.jpg

I canceled my pre-order for JA from Amazon US. $19.99 is a lot more than $12!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MWPA2WC

I'm listening to it right now. Substantial improvement I'd say, but I admit I only listened to the previous album a few times, I didn't like the score much and now I know why...

Hearing the BSX now, I'm able to hear what was missing from the Prometheus, much more detail and crystal clear sound.

Check out the order page to hear clips.

Edit: upon hearing more of the album, I'd definitely recommend the 2014 release. The increase in clarity is phenomenal.

From LLL:

This Is The End / The Interview (Jackman)

Kingsman: The Secret Service (Jackman)

Kick-Ass 2 (Jackman)

The Bodyguard (Silvestri)

Forever Young (Goldsmith)

From SAE:

Obsession (Herrmann)

Le Pistole Non Discutono / L'Avventuriero (Morricone)

Regarding that Morricone set, apparently GDM is doing this massive reissue series of 100 Morricone scores over 50 2CD sets, with a giant box to house them all to boot. At $30 a set and each one limited to only 300 copies, I've already missed out on a couple reissues. It's good because it brings a lot of older titles back into print, but considering I already own a lot of these scores, there's gonna be a lot of redundant overlap.

I was just reading about The Classic Soundtrack Collection by Henry Mancini and found it on Amazon UK for only £23.99!

It contains EIGHTEEN original Mancini albums, plus bonus tracks, all remastered. A steal for that price!

So I ordered it, along with Jupiter Ascending OST, and for some reason in my shopping cart, the Mancini box was lowered to £19.99, and Jupiter Ascending was lowered to £9.16!

Final price for both was $51.83 USD, basically $12 for JA and $30 for the 18-album box. Sweet!

714wwgBTqBL._SY355_.jpg

jupiter-ascending-large.jpg

I canceled my pre-order for JA from Amazon US. $19.99 is a lot more than $12!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MWPA2WC

These arrived today!

A little razzia on Amazon, new and used stuff...

Album_Artworke6a125.jpegs1487112.jpg46688714.jpgempire_cover.jpg81kRThU97QL._SX355_.jpgHook_ost.jpgtintin.jpg

Received them all... except E.T. (orginal MCA CD) :angry:

Will need to order it again from another vendor.

Vienna playing Star Wars?

Surely not. How could they degrade themselves so? Playing...pop...popular music. They should be playing Strauss to eternity and back.

They have sold themselves out.

Duos for violin and viola by John Williams and others:

71E1KGwdzCL._SX466_.jpg

John Williams: The Denver Brass

51IRF5G1EWL.jpg

Thirteen Days by Trevor Jones

417SM3XGTYL.jpg

Duos for violin and viola by John Williams and others:

71E1KGwdzCL._SX466_.jpg

Don't know this work.

Too bad it's not available on iTunes. Actually its on my "too rare rarities" list !

This is what I call filling the small holes left in my Williams collection.

The Denver Brass has the added incentive of having the Winter Games Fanfare on it, which has not been previously recorded. The other performances on the album seem to vary from iffy to good on the whole.

The Denver Brass has the added incentive of having the Winter Games Fanfare on it, which has not been previously recorded. The other performances on the album seem to vary from iffy to good on the whole.

Don't know that one either, generally I only buy the JW pieces from these albums when they are on iTunes.

Why would you only buy music from iTunes?

I collect the JW CDs and the important ones (like the Gerhardt's, Kunzel's, etc.), but for these album who contains usually just one work by John Williams, I usually just buy the selected tracks on mp3.

I'm not in the USA, so it's not always easy and economical to get these not-so-well distributed CD issued by obscure labels.

Today I finally bought two releases I'd been planning on buying since they were first announced (the Legacy Collection Little Mermaid and Intrada's Last Starfighter) and one I'd resisted buying since I first saw the film (FSM's The Search For Spock).

This is what I call filling the small holes left in my Williams collection.

What's iffy about te performances? Been awhile since I listened but I remember them all bein pretty good. And it's a cool arrangement of the Sw music

Why did you resist?

For a long time the score just struck me as a drearier, less exciting version of TWOK with one or two new themes. Didn't seem worth spending my hard-earned cash on it. But I've come to appreciate the score more and more over the years. I still prefer the way TWOK seems to bubble over with spirit and energy - it truly does make me feel "young." But there's a lot to love about Horner's darker, sadder approach to TSFS.

As for Mermaid and Starfighter, I just hadn't gotten around to buying 'em yet. Got distracted with other stuff and forgot they were already out.

Do you like the new Starfighter CD? Talk about bubbling over with spirit and energy!

And yea, I like TSFS, but haven't listened to it probably a quarter of the amount I've listened to TWOK, and I think you just pinpointed why for me ; It's so much sadder!

None of the three albums are here yet. I'm probably most excited about that one, though - I've always loved the theme, but I'm really not familiar with the rest of the score and I haven't seen the film in a long time.