J.J. Abrams and Steven Spielberg collaborate for "Super 8"

Koray Savas

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like I've seen a ton of movies like this in recent years. Something terrorizes a town and a bunch of people sneak around and try to escape or figure out what's going on, and there's always a police officer as a major character. Maybe I'm just full of shit, I don't know. I'll probably see this.

I feel like I've seen a ton of movies like this in recent years. Something terrorizes a town and a bunch of people sneak around and try to escape or figure out what's going on, and there's always a police officer as a major character. Maybe I'm just full of shit, I don't know. I'll probably see this.

Yeah, I remember they released Beowulf somewhere around 750 AD or was it 1000 AD? But every damn "something is invading a town" work has been trying to follow that formula since then. It's getting really irritating.

Why can't a monster invade a town and just wipe out the whole town, focusing on how the monster repopulates the area after humanity has been eliminated?

Many of those "movies" don't make the cinema. They're trapped on the SyFy network.

What's so special about it? It feels like a film from the 70's and 80's, I can understand that. But is an homage to something else really enough to get excited these days?

Karol

An homage to the films of a generation ago would be a refreshing change from, say, a subject or intellectual property from a generation ago lifted to create a modern movie that completely desecrates and vomits upon everything that made the original great.

Besides, Spielberg's something of a legend around these parts, and hasn't done anything good for a while. A well publicized BM would get some people excited, so a collaboration with up-and-coming wunderkind JJ Abrams is heart-attack-rendering.

Agreed.

I just want to see a good entertaining film with a good score and we have very little of those these days. This has the potential to be one.

Also it's great to see an adventure movie with kids in it again... it's been too long since "The Goonies"...

There's something about the kid the trailer puts forward as the "Mikey Walsh" of the story (Joel Courtney) that tells me he's going to be a star.

I am quietly intoxicated by this trailer. It has a 1982 "feel" about it, if you know what I mean. Those of you who were around in 1982, and can remember it, the atmosphere reached fever-pitch, as the release-date aproached. It was all anyone would - could - talk about, and it was abaolutely EVERYWHERE!!! I don't expect this to provoke the same reaction, but the trailer does take me back to a simpler, more innocent time.

First Nolan chooses Snyder, now Abrams chooses Larry Fong. It seems that the 'film gods' have better taste than their fanboys. :)

However, I'm still not going to watch this kiddie film.

The only person who thinks Abrams is a 'film god' is Abrams himself. As for Nolan, he just saw that Snyder is very good at making films for adults with major developmental issues, which most people probably see as Superman's target audience.

First Nolan chooses Snyder, now Abrams chooses Larry Fong. It seems that the 'film gods' have better taste than their fanboys. :)

However, I'm still not going to watch this kiddie film.

We don't really know if it's going to be a kiddie film. It could happen that it just features kids on the leading roles.

And there's a difference between a film for kids and a film that everybody can enjoy, like Close Encounters.

Kids running from a monster ... yes, I can see why this is going to be an entertaining film.

The Monster Squad?

We don't really know if it's going to be a kiddie film. It could happen that it just features kids on the leading roles.

It's an adaptation of a kiddie novel.

And you watched Twilight iirc?

Twilight? That's for teenager girls! And I had to watch because of me kid (oops, should I worry?). ;)

Wait! The boy! Maybe he wants to see a bunch of kids running away from the monster! Oh, no! It seems I'm gonna see it anyway!

And you watched Twilight iirc?

Twilight? That's for teenager girls! And I had to watch because of me kid (oops, should I worry?). ;)

Wait! The boy! Maybe he wants to see a bunch of kids running away from the monster! Oh, no! It seems I'm gonna see it anyway!

You may even enjoy it! Oh wait, I forgot you've already decided you won't like it.

Because it's a kids movie concept. Something 'unknown' has escaped and a bunch of Goonies are going to solve the mystery. That doesn't sound like an adult-oriented sci-fi film.

Because it's a kids movie concept. Something 'unknown' has escaped and a bunch of Goonies are going to solve the mystery. That doesn't sound like an adult-oriented sci-fi film.

Am I the only one who doesn't think Super 8 is meant for kids? I mean, is clearly trying to appeal to those that are not kids anymore. Actually I think that's why it appeals to me so much, I want to feel like a kid again.

I wouldn't want to live in a world where I can only see adult-only oriented stories, anyway. I like it when everybody can appreciate something regardless of their age.

Sometimes its not WHAT the movie is about, but WHY it is about it

I wouldn't want to live in a world where I can only see adult-only oriented stories, anyway.

Then you're lucky because most movies are made for a young public (teenagers and tweens) because that's where the money is. Adult cinema is a rare thing these day.

I wouldn't want to live in a world where I can only see adult-only oriented stories, anyway.

Then you're lucky because most movies are made for a young public (teenagers and tweens) because that's where the money is. Adult cinema is a rare thing these day.

I don't consider me lucky if I can't see At the Mountains of Madness either. :(

Am I the only one who doesn't think Super 8 is meant for kids? I mean, is clearly trying to appeal to those that are not kids anymore. Actually I think that's why it appeals to me so much, I want to feel like a kid again.

Hollywood likes to look at his past (sometimes even recent past) with a nostalgic look. It happened in the past (think Star Wars) and will continue to happen in the future. It's part of how Hollywood perceives itself: a mix of nostalgia for the past and anticipation for the future, being both conservative and forward-looking.

The curious thing is that Super 8 looks upon something we perceive as fairly recent stuff (i.e. early Spielberg 1980s movies) and still very much here with us, so it may feel awkward or strange to some people.

Uh, Alex, real adults go to plays, operas, and ballet and dance performances. You should try it. Quite a lot of fun!