J.J. Abrams and Steven Spielberg collaborate for "Super 8"

Koray Savas

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this movie is going to be big. My prediction: it will be among the Top 5 most successful movies of 2011.

I think it's going to be huge among young people and nostalgic cinemagoers.

Saw the film tonight. Really, really enjoyed it. Won't say much about it just now, but it was really refreshing to watch child actors who aren't obnoxious and acting like adults. Looks like Abrams has the Spielberg touch of working with kids. Recommended.

I liked it, it did its job well. A lot more rich and whimsical than most of Gia's recent output which was nice, and the main theme is beautiful. I will definitely buy it, and once I'm familiar with the score I'm sure I'll appreciate it more.

I just read these comments on FSM about the score:

Just got back from seeing the (seriously brilliant) film. Giacchino's score is outstanding. The release date for the soundtrack album can't come fast enough! [...] If nothing else, the finale is 'cue of the year' material. Maybe it's the fact that I've only just seen the film, and it's fresh in my mind, but 'forgettable' is just about the last word I'd use to describe the score at this point.

[...]

[The finale cue] features one of the most beautiful melodies Giacchino has ever composed, with a particularly poignant on-screen moment being described musically by a brief harp solo. It's just one of those perfect marriages of images and music that film music fans seldom get to experience these days.

Yes, the finale is great, both film and score.

It doesn't quite reach the heights of E.T.'s finale (which it was most certainly inspired by), but I'd have been shocked if it had.

On the topic of cameos, I believe Williams has one in Sabrina. He is the pianist at the dinner party.

back to super 8...

Interesting that Spielberg's name stands out the most. The same size font helps.

Since his name is listed below Abrams', it's more center, so your eyes are drawn to it more naturally. Also his name occupies two lines, Abrams only one.

Tim

i'm eager to watch/listen this movie/score even more now!

Me to. :)

Pity I have to wait til August to see the film though...

Karol

I'm seeing it tonight at a preview screening. The trailers look pretty good, but this is one of the few films I'm seeing where the score is the part I'm looking forward to most! The praise heaped on that finale cue has me stoked.

I saw the IMAX preview screening this afternoon.

While I feel like there is some extraneous plot and characters that could have been tightened up I felt that it was a pretty strong film. Very enjoyable. If the public gives this a chance and goes to see it, perhaps through word of mouth (because literally EVERYONE I know and even my students said it looks stupid from the previews), this film could end up being quite a hit.

Giacchinos's score? Well that theme on the website is just a secondary theme, closer to a love theme. There is a different main theme, plus a theme for the military that is very reminiscent of Williams. With the possible exception of Lost I would say this is probably his best score yet. Very heartfelt, beautiful. The action and suspense material is decent, the action occasionally recalls Williams. The finale cue is VERY good. I can't wait to get the album!

Just saw it. Pretty much loved it with very few caveats. And if you're curious about the oft-praised finale cue, it plays out VERY similar to those long emotional cues on Lost (which I have absolutely no problem with).

I don't want to watch it before I see it in the cinema

I'm afraid it's going to flop at the box office, there's no superheroes or fighting CGI robots in it

Saw it in IMAX last night. Here's my NO SPOILER review. Absolutely loved it! Loyal Spielberg and Starwars fans will be delighted (plenty of Easter eggs). The children were so perfect, Fanning will impress you making you toy with the idea that she may be even better than her sister! Super 8 is ultimately a love story, no, not between the characters in the film but between J.J. and his favorite movies (which happen to also be my favorite movies)! It may Just be the greatest fanfilm ever made. It was strange that not many people were present at the theater, only 50 or 60, which makes me think it's going to take a lot of word of mouth to get this going. I applaud Abrams for his integrity, what he has done is put a great amount of faith in his audience. This films success will reveal a lot about the general public just as Inception did last year, another film that was shrouded in secrecy and relied on good old word of mouth to get butts in the seats. Now the score ..... well unfortunately I was slightly underwhelmed by it. It had a few brilliant moments but I think that I possibly ruined the experience for myself because of my own John Williams comparisons. His score as heard in the film I'd give 3 of 5 stars. I felt there were some moments that he was struggling and others he hit the marks. I too, as many others felt that it was very similar to Lost. Is that such a bad thing? No, but it's not really what I anticipated for this particular film. But its possible that after multiple viewings/listenings I will change my mind. To be fair it took multiple listens before I appreciated Phantom Menace or The Lost World so such can be the case here. I know some of you live in places that will not be showing this film for quite a while so I genuinely hope you can stay spoiler free, this one is quite a treat. It's not perfect by a long shot, but it didn't need to be. It's evident they had fun making this film, and we had a lot of fun watching it. I hope Amblin productions make a huge comeback after this but to tell you the truth this felt more like a proper farewell, much better than capt Kirks! Solid 4 of 5 Stars ( may go up if I change my mind about the score)

Hate to be the Debbie Downer here, but I was heavily disappointed. The kids were fun, but the emotional storylines felt incredibly cloying and forced, to me. It felt like everything in the entire film was left a mystery until the third act, which is all well and good, but I felt like I had no reason to connect with these characters up until that point. All I knew about them for pretty much the entire film was their superficial character set-ups from the first few scenes: the kid who lost his mom, the goofy firecracker kid, the popular girl with a secret, etc. Nothing going on beneath the surface.

The score is definitely the best (and far and away the most Spielberg-ian) thing about the film, but I felt even that was a wasted opportunity. Lots of beautiful melodic and orchestral ideas, but they're never fully fleshed out, nor are they ever really given the chance to.

That's a bit of the problem with Giacchino scores so far. He starts out with good ideas but doesn't take them to the level of JW, or even Goldsmith or Horner .Well I know he can though, because the MoH main themes are fully developped

The little clip from the website is good, but when the theme is about to take off it just ends abruptly

Saw it today with my brothers and I thought that it was, overall, a real treat. It may not have always reached the cinematic heights of the early Spielberg that were its biggest inspirations, but it drew perhaps the most important strength, and that is the heart. It seems as though such a majority of mainstream films today have such cynicism or over-seriousness to the point of silliness, that it's a breath of fresh air to see a film with such earnestness and intimacy within the events of the action. The early pace of the film, introducing the characters and connecting with them before the action really starts, was really well done and much appreciated. The entire sequence of the night shoot, beginning with the kids sitting on the curb all the way through the aftermath, was delightful.

I really don't want to say too much, but while I do think that the films trips a bit towards the end, the film is worthwhile just for the interaction of the characters. I definitely look forward to seeing it again.

Some mixed feelings on the score, but it's got some really strong spots, for sure. I grew to really love the theme from the clip on the site, but the other main theme didn't really grab me as much. It's at its best when it is used together with the other theme for some surprisingly nice interplay. And did I catch a theme from Secret Weapons Over Normandy for the Air Force? I do look forward to the soundtrack, and I will surely get it. I do agree that it does not seem to have the richness of similar works from the '80s, but it is good. I'm actually wondering how much went unused--I could be wrong, but I didn't get the impression that there was 82 minutes of music in the film by any means.

The cinematography was excellent, as well, looking new but also nicely capturing some of the old-school vibes. Some shots even end up looking dead-on for a moment.

I don't think people should necessarily go in expecting perfection, but this is a darn good film, and I am looking forward to seeing it again soon.

it's a very good film, best thing abrams has done. Is it an equal to Spielberg's directoral efforts, NO. But it stands well on it's own. It ranks up there with

Spielberg's other very good production.

I guess the lens flares are not confined to star trek ( a much lesser film btw).

The alien is definately not ET.

the acting by the ensemble of children is the among the best. It was a delight to see how good they were.

the acting by the ensemble of children is the among the best. It was a delight to see how good they were.

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree, the kids were terrific and a lot of fun. I just didn't really care for the way their characters were drawn :/

I loved the film. Undoubtedly some will be disappointed because this film is doing something bold - trying to recreate something that is near to many of our hearts - and many will judge it to be a failure. I, however, view it as a spectacular success. I would change virtually nothing about it. I was completely satisfied. I agree that the children were great actors. I can't understand how mrbellamy didn't find a heart in the film. I cared about the characters almost from the very beginning. There was lots of genuine emotion. To each his own, I guess.

I just saw it, and I loved it. I had major goosebumps during the closing scene. I don't think I've felt that type of emotion in a movie theatre since...I dunno, maybe Return of the King? That's not to say it's the best film since RotK, as it has a few flaws (mainly, the plot is pretty predictable). But perhaps the one with the most raw power, at least in the syrupy feel good sense (and I mean that in a good way).

The acting was phenomenal, definitely some of the best child performances of recent years. There are a lot of references and similarities to Spielberg films (in particular, the dialogue and the way it was delivered was VERY reminiscient of Spielberg films, both old and current). Anybody else think of E.T. when all those

military men came running to the scene of the crash with flashlights?

I also heard some E.T. in the score (more on that in the other thread). Anyway, I thought it was very effective in paying homage to Spielberg, but also in being a great film in its own right. Easily the best thing I've seen by Abrahams (although the only other things I've seen that he's done are M:i:III and Star Trek).

I liked it ok I guess. But Abrams sucks at directing true emotional scenes. It takes more than words and sappy music. (also thinking of you, Kirk's dads death in Trek). The scenes feel like they're telling me I should feel emotional rather than getting me to feel that way. Kids were lots of fun. Loved the cursing.

I just saw it, and I loved it. I had major goosebumps during the closing scene. I don't think I've felt that type of emotion in a movie theatre since...I dunno, maybe Return of the King? That's not to say it's the best film since RotK, as it has a few flaws (mainly, the plot is pretty predictable). But perhaps the one with the most raw power, at least in the syrupy feel good sense (and I mean that in a good way).

The acting was phenomenal, definitely some of the best child performances of recent years. There are a lot of references and similarities to Spielberg films (in particular, the dialogue and the way it was delivered was VERY reminiscient of Spielberg films, both old and current). Anybody else think of E.T. when all those

I also heard some E.T. in the score (more on that in the other thread). Anyway, I thought it was very effective in paying homage to Spielberg, but also in being a great film in its own right. Easily the best thing I've seen by Abrahams (although the only other things I've seen that he's done are M:i:III and Star Trek).

please there were so many copied shots from Spielberg movies. that's why it's a homage, and even the lens flares began in ET.

E.T. certainly didn't start it. What a crazy idea!

sorry I was referring in the context of the collaboration.

Lens flares have been around a long time but Spielberg used them in CE3K, Raiders, aand specifically E.T. to dramatic effect, remember the bell flair?

please there were so many copied shots from Spielberg movies. that's why it's a homage

Yeah, I'm not saying it's a bad thing...

I wouldn't be surprised if in this decade appear more films in the style of the 70's and 80's.

What made those films great wasn't their style, but their soul - their humanity. Spielberg-lite films like SUPER 8 (or Ron Howard's) just coldly play through all the tropes, cliches, conventions, and familiar stylistic touches - like a player piano. But they never understand his conviction, or why those films worked in the first place.