The Music of Star Wars: The Old Republic

MissPadmé

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, imagine fighting Sith-warriors with "Catch Me If you Can" blasting out of the speakers

I was rather thinking of composers considering Star Wars first and foremost John Williams films.

Star Wars is 50% Williams, isn't it?

Don't care about the game, but the music is shaping up brilliantly. I hope there will be a proper CD release.

Star Wars is 50% Williams, isn't it?

Don't care about the game, but the music is shaping up brilliantly. I hope there will be a proper CD release.

Well, that would take a 5-CD set.

As this board never fails to remind us, a soundtrack release is tough to get right.

Complete score or death!

Based on the video the game will have a great score from the people who have created this music before for the previous games and know how to create the proper SW soundscapes in the spirit and sound of Williams but still explore their own ideas.

Mark Griskey's score for THE FORCE UNLEASHED was terrific; it's good to see his name attached to THE OLD REPUBLIC and THE FORCE UNLEASHED 2. Now about getting them released.... :huh:

I haven't written for a while as I can't stomach the debates here.

But I had a look out of boredom today and came across this post,

I CAN'T BELIEVE THR FILM INDUSTRY IS LOWERING THE STANDARDS OF MUSIC AND THE GAMING INDUSTRY IS TAKING MUSIC TO A HIGHER LEVEL!!!!

Honestly, if any "Directors", "Music Supervisors" and "Producers" read this PLEASE for the love of God drop what you do and take a six month

'Film Music Appreciation Course'....listen...listen...and listen again to some of the greatest composers for the media that ever lived and then pick up from where you are left of because music for the movies in my humble opinion has hit the absolute rock bottom.

Mark Griskey's score for THE FORCE UNLEASHED was terrific; it's good to see his name attached to THE OLD REPUBLIC and THE FORCE UNLEASHED 2. Now about getting them released.... :huh:

Don't forget Knights of the Old Republic 2.

Game music has been great for a long time. Fortunately it hasn't suffered the fall that film music has the last 5+ years, and I think that's helping draw more attention to it.

• 1 year later...

During the betatesting I've definitely heard some music I haven't heard before - and I'm not confusing it with the original new music written for the game, there's a distinct sound difference.

I didn't even think about doing it that way - don't hold it against me, but I do believe there are volume sliders for SFX, music and dialogue. Might be problematic with the battlemusic though, as you'd have to keep the battle going long enough to get the whole piece.

• 2 weeks later...

One track is being released every day between now and the 20th. You can download them from the game's Facebook page or listen at the aforementioned YouTube link. That means there are still nine more tracks to go.

There's also a CD being released only with the $150 Collector's Edition (ouch) that contains different music. And I'm sure there will be plenty of music rips when the game comes out.

These composers are now confirmed for the game:

Mark Griskey

Wilbert Roget, II

Gordy Haab

Lennie Moore

Jesse Harlin

Steve Kirk

Peter McConnell

Eh, I'm sure somebody will figure it out.

There are 8 new tracks out today as a "bonus," perhaps more on the way as we near the official launch. I love the Alderaan music!

I just got the CE today - The tracks on the soundtrack cd that came with it are not the same as those posted on youtube (so far), so quite a bit of the original music seems to get released.

A lot of tracks can be found here:

http://www.youtube.c...00B70E152D0304C

But it will be a hell of a lot of work to find out, how much they differ from the already posted tracks...

Edit: All right, a quick check proves that all of the officially posted music is included in this playlist, although each track is a few seconds longer (but probably just due to more silence before and after the tracks - at least it's not the same files, but supposedly direct rips from the game). Comparing them to the OST shows that - at least at first glance - all of its music is included here as well (although the majority of the OST-tracks are combining several of the cues). A quickly assembled playlist (i.e. throwing out all the OST tracks and most of the "officially posted" ones) results in a playing time of almost exactly 4 hours... pretty impressive! (even if about 50 minutes of it are just those crazy ass cantina tunes)

Since Jesse Harlin said that there's about 5 and a half hour of original music in the game, there's still some stuff missing here. And adding to that, it's also containing music from KoTOR 1 and 2 (let's hope in full, as the quality wasn't the best in those games) and from the movies.

BTW, I find it absolutely amazing, what cast of composers LucasArts has assembled for this... I mean, Griskey (KoTOR2, TFU2) and Harlin (TFU1, Republic Commando) alone would've made fantastic music for this, but adding Lennie Moore to this (Outcast!!!) is really ingenious. They're really blowing out some money for this thing... and I'm not interested in the game itself in the slightest :D

Jason Graves also recorded a couple of pieces from his "Seeds Of Darkness" (fan film) score for this game.

You mean with a live orchestra? Since his SoD-soundtrack is only sample-based, it must be a good feeling to get your music actually performed...

Ya he recorded it with the live orchestra that was recording the music for The Old Republic. While I always loved his synth versions, he sent me the couple of pieces and it was a real treat to hear those with live orchestra. I can't share them unfortunately as he's asked me not to.

WOW clean music for that scene! Maybe there is hope after all for clean AOTC and ROTS music in this game. Even from I Am The Senate...god someone needs to rip this game now.

The first minute of this track has some of "The Kiss" from AOTC. Not sure about the music after that. Then it seems to go into full opening for "Revisiting Padmè"! and some other music not sure about...I think back to AOTC music. Probably "Picnic Scene" not sure. I think it also has the ending of "The Meeting Of Anakin and Padmé" with the statement of Anakin's Theme that was actually meant to be in there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTqmQHOv-Z0

WOW clean music for that scene! Maybe there is hope after all for clean AOTC and ROTS music in this game. Even from I Am The Senate...god someone needs to rip this game now.

The first minute of this track has some of "The Kiss" from AOTC. Not sure about the music after that. Then it seems to go into full opening for "Revisiting Padmè"! and some other music not sure about...I think back to AOTC music. Probably "Picnic Scene" not sure. I think it also has the ending of "The Meeting Of Anakin and Padmé" with the statement of Anakin's Theme that was actually meant to be in there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTqmQHOv-Z0

Wow, some great music in that clip!

The track "Jedi Mission" contains all though not the FULL opening but has the string measurement and drum beat for the opening of "Goodbye, Old Friend".

The track "Peaceful Jedi" contains nearly all of "Plans For The Twins", oddly enough the force theme towards the beginning has been cut out. However, that can be clean via the rear channels from the German version of the film. This also has the clean intro and ending.

The track "No Hope Left" as Miss Padmé pointed out contains a good portion of "Anakin Changes" and a chunk of "I Am The Senate" from towards the end of the cue that has unused material.