Will you get the Extended Collector's Edition of Avatar?

Josh500

Will you get the Extended Collector's Edition of AVATAR?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Will you get the Extended Collector's Edition of AVATAR?

• Yes, I will get the DVD edition.
    • Yes, I will get the Blu-ray edition.
    • No, thank you.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you're saying you like Social Network better than Avatar, Koray?

The default answer is yes, because I haven't seen Avatar.

There's no default. You can't compare two movies, if you haven't seen one of them!

Anyway, you should see it, and then make up your mind. ;)

You know what?

I still haven't seen Avatar. ;)

You've seen Dance With Wolves ? Then you've seen Avatar.

You've seen Pocahontas ? Then you've seen Avatar.

You've seen Ferngully ? Then you've seen Avatar.

You've seen Smurfs in Space ? You can't have, it doesn't exist. Then you must watch Avatar !

:):)

You know what?

You've seen Dance With Wolves ? Then you've seen Avatar.

You've seen Pocahontas ? Then you've seen Avatar.

You've seen Ferngully ? Then you've seen Avatar.

You've seen Smurfs in Space ? You can't have, it doesn't exist. Then you must watch Avatar !

Fern Gully is pretty awesome...

• 1 month later...

I'll buy a 3DTV if they bring out Jaws 3-D and Creature From The Black Lagoon on blu-ray.

I saw Jaws 3-D on a 3-D television in 1985.

You know what?

Good on yer, Mark!!! Us "Avatar" un-enthusiasts should stick together. I just can't be arsed.

I will be getting this for Christmas.

No one does a better dvd/blu ray presentation than James Cameron, no one.

I want to watch the 8 hours of extras.

It's the same reason I'm getting the Alien Anthology, not because of Alien, certainly not because of Alien 3 subtitled: The Reason Director Fincher Will Burn in Hell, or Alien Resurrection, but because of the remastering Cameron has done to the film and the extreme extras for film 1, 2, and 4.

I won't buy it, I have a regular Blu-ray edition I bought in London on the day it came out (just missed Stephen Lang in HMV :P). For my taste, Avatar is one of Cameron's less memorable achievements. I know that vast majority thinks otherwise, but it's how I feel. True enough, all the digital stuff and special effects are indeed fantastic and a towering achievement, but as far as the storytelling and moviemaking go, I really wasn't impressed by this one. Maybe the sequel(s) will be better. :lol:

Mine was supposed to be delivered from Amazon on the release day, as was my copy of the Deathly Hallows soundtrack (as they were released on the same day). Bother packages (separate packages)were shipped via UPS and left the same UPS facility on the same truck on Tuesday morning. I followed the tracking all day and finally it was updated that bother were delivered at 3:53PM to my front door (according to their notes). I go outside around 4pm....only one pack age was there, the CD. Yet both were scanned as delivered! I waited till today and still nothing has shown up. Not even in the mailbox or anything. I want to call Amazon and see if they can ship a replacement of Avatar to me - but does anyone think that they won't honor my request since it was marked as delivered? This is my very first issue with them and UPS in about 5 years of business, so I'd like to think they'd assume I'm not BSing them...

Avatar is a pretty f***ig great movie. It may not be good enough to be considered a classic, but hey... it's still f***ing great.

When I first heard the premise and saw the trailer, I was sure it would bomb. But look what James Cameron has created. He has my whole admiration...

I. Love. You.

I think there is bound to be a counterculture for anything that is widely successful. However, I am confident Avatar will be better remembered in the future than it is thought of now.

I don't have a problem with people not liking Avatar. I know there are films that a lot of people tend to like that I really disliked and vice versa.

Everyone has their own preference on films. If you liked Avatar, that's fine. If you didn't, that's fine too. No one is right or wrong in this matter.

I hate it when people use this argument whenever you don't like something that's popular. It's like "DUH, it's popular, so if you don't like it, it's just because everybody else does. You want to be different. And you suck." I didn't like Avatar, not because it was successful, but because I thought the film was bad. Please, stop saying (not you in particular, I'm talking to people in general. I've got nothing against you, Taiko !:lol: ) people hate widely successful stuff because they are widely successful. Hell, I didn't like Avatar and I love The Lord Of The Rings. Wasn't this film widely successful too ?

Well, it's just like you said, not me in particular. I mean, I'm not saying that everyone who didn't like Avatar didn't like it because it was successful, you for example. However, I think success often greatly influences people's opinions. If Avatar had somehow tanked at the box office, then many people would probably not complain.

I was disappointed by the movie mostly because, while it gave me all the spectacle and visuals, it was overlong, predictable and, because of that, rather boring. And when I tried to see it again it was even worse. But I like the score quite a bit, as derivative as it is.

Karol

I hate it when people use this argument whenever you don't like something that's popular. It's like "DUH, it's popular, so if you don't like it, it's just because everybody else does. You want to be different. And you suck." I didn't like Avatar, not because it was successful, but because I thought the film was bad. Please, stop saying (not you in particular, I'm talking to people in general. I've got nothing against you, Taiko !:lol: ) people hate widely successful stuff because they are widely successful. Hell, I didn't like Avatar and I love The Lord Of The Rings. Wasn't this film widely successful too ?

Well, it's just like you said, not me in particular. I mean, I'm not saying that everyone who didn't like Avatar didn't like it because it was successful, you for example. However, I think success often greatly influences people's opinions. If Avatar had somehow tanked at the box office, then many people would probably not complain.

Oh yeah, my biggest beef with Avatar was the amount of praise it was getting compared to the high levels of mediocrity in the film. It was a pretty average film, with the exception of a few bells and whistles (SFX, acting, and music). But when a movie that is barely better than the usual mindless summer romps that studios churn out becomes the highest grossing film ever, wins the Golden Globe for best picture, is nominated for a bunch of important Oscars... I felt that was more than a little overboard.

It's not the best film ever (nor does it have to be to get a lot of praise), but it's still pretty darn great.

I got the Collector's Edition now, and I am enjoying it a lot.

What sucks is that there is no James Cameron audio commentary...

Considering how much I went on about this movie when it came out I'm quite amazed by how quickly it's faded from my memory. As big screen spectacles go it was great, but I can't be bothered sitting through it again at home.

When something is successful and you don't like it, its gushing fanboys will keep trying to make you feel like there's something wrong with you because you haven't conformed to their collective opinion. It's universal human nature.

You know what? I sometimes dislike when a certain thing is liked by too many people. In a sense that it doesn't feel exclusively "mine" anymore. A snob I am, perhaps. :lol:

Karol

That seems kinda like a lame "wuss" thing to do.

You watch a movie, and either you like it or dislike it. Your opinion shouldn't be based on (even partly) what the majority thinks.

I couldn't give a fuck whether or not people like what I do, but what I can't be doing with is when something becomes "cool" to hate. Geek sniggering is like the ground in dirt that gathers inside the rim of a dustbin.

I think most reviews of AotC that came out at the time can be summarized as follows:

"It's not as much of a horribly unpleasant surprise as The Phantom Menace was.

Therefor, it is a good movie."

The RT consensus was as follows: "Containing more of what made the Star Wars series fun, Attack of the Clones is an improvement over The Phantom Menace". See? SW was always about cheesy dialogue! I knew it!

See, I thought about using reviews and boxoffice to back up my point, but instead decided against it. Going down that road lessens one's argument, I always think :lol:

It seems to be a perfect thing to back up an argument in this particular example. ;)

But that's not the point. I kind of agree with your original statement. But then again we all do that sometimes, don't we?

Karol

I'll buy a 3DTV if they bring out Jaws 3-D and Creature From The Black Lagoon on blu-ray.

I saw Jaws 3-D on a 3-D television in 1985.

I paid to see it in the theater in 1983.

You know what?

I still haven't seen Avatar. :lol:

Good on yer, Mark!!! Us "Avatar" un-enthusiasts should stick together. I just can't be arsed.

I have no hate for this film, I just haven't found the motivation to see it. Of course that's happening more often with movies these days. I just don't have the interest in going to the theater like I used to.

I think most reviews of AotC that came out at the time can be summarized as follows:

"It's not as much of a horribly unpleasant surprise as The Phantom Menace was.

Therefor, it is a good movie."

Boy were they wrong, TPM is an Oscar winning masterpiece compared to Clones.

Boy were they wrong, TPM is an Oscar winning masterpiece compared to Clones.

No, The Matrix is an Oscar winning masterpiece compared to The Phantom Menace...

...since it won all three Academy nods that TPM was up for. :lol:

Actually I am going to pick this up when I get paid first of December. I definitely want the extended cut of this film on Blu-Ray and my own copy so I don't have to keep borrowing my parents.

Actually I am going to pick this up when I get paid first of December. I definitely want the extended cut of this film on Blu-Ray and my own copy so I don't have to keep borrowing my parents.

Yeah, the extended cut is way better than the theatrical version. One wouldn't think so, but it's true here.

The story unfolds a bit more slowly, but when the action starts, the impact is all the greater.

I saw the extended collector's cut last night.

The theatrical version is the best of the three.

In the theatrical cut, we never really see the Na'vi in action until the final battle. With the big Sturmbeest hunt added in the special edition, that's diminished.

The most notable addition to the collector's edition is the Earth material. The movie is better without it. I don't need to see Earth. With it remaining something elusive, I can make up my mind about what Earth must be like from the few hints we get in the theatrical cut (the short clips from the cremation scene, Jake's comments). Instead, we now get a view of an Earth city in 2154. And guess what? Once again, it looks just like Blade Runner. Oh, snap!