What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Finally got round to listening to Jurassic World.

I love the opening and closing parts of the album (his main theme has been going through my head all day), but the section in the middle (tracks 10-15) goes by mostly without making any real impression. Track 7 also has that problem.

Those bits are not bad exactly, they're just not nearly as memorable and structured as some of his Star Trek action cues. Considering that we could've received a RCP score for this film, I'm just relieved it's a genuine orchestral score.

Jaws 3D (OST)

Intrada recently released a 2 CD complete score release, but at 36 minutes the old OST is already a bit of a chore to get through. Some interesting ideas, and nice enough theme for Sea World arent really enough to even begin to rival John Williams. Alan Parker uses the shark theme a few times, but never really in an interesting way. A few good tracks, a few nondescript ones, and it's always clear that Parker worked primarily in TV before this (he even uses a thinly disguised version of his Dempsey and Makepeace theme)

It also doesnt help that this release is completely out a chronological order, there's no sense of progression or a build up (the climactic cue where the shark gets blown up is in the middle of the score)

Jaws 3D (OST)

Intrada recently released a 2 CD complete score release, but at 36 minutes the old OST is already a bit of a chore to get through. Some interesting ideas, and nice enough theme for Sea World arent really enough to even begin to rival John Williams. Alan Parker uses the shark theme a few times, but never really in an interesting way. A few good tracks, a few nondescript ones, and it's always clear that Parker worked primarily in TV before this (he even uses a thinly disguised version of his Dempsey and Makepeace theme)

It also doesnt help that this release is completely out a chronological order, there's no sense of progression or a build up (the climactic cue where the shark gets blown up is in the middle of the score)

It has a nice Goldsmithian theme.

Karol

Went old school, in a manner of speaking and plumped for the Thunderbirds Are Go/Thunderbird 6 CD. Did the job for the day endured. Wish the Astronauts in Trouble was a bit longer or maybe I remember it as going on forever when I was younger.

0.46 to 1.17

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone :music:

One of John Williams' best scores and probably the best Harry Potter score (I can't fully assess PoA due to the lack of a complete score release (perhaps La-La Land will get their hands on it soon))

Great rich orchestration in that.

Yes it is full of brilliant colours. Some might get a Hollywood sugar overload from it but I love the whole spectacle of the score, which Williams does with such effortless panache. I wonder if Williams aimed for a sort of introduction to orchestra for all ages with that score. He obviously saw possibilities for such a thing as he did compose and record the multi part suite at the recording sessions which is something akin to Young Person's Guide to Orchestra by Britten. Sadly it is rarely performed in full in concerts and only excerpts are usually chosen. But it is a really great distillation of the main ideas of the score into this kind of didactic and illustrative work.

I made my peace with it after being disappointed with the HOOK/HOME ALONE vibe in 2001. Though the clumsy dense and action scoring gets still on my nerves, most of the rest is of such airy, dance-like balletic nature that together with COS it became my to-go score for whimsy fantasy. It ain't gonna get much better, at least in that general department.

I made my peace with it after being disappointed with the HOOK/HOME ALONE vibe in 2001. Though the clumsy dense and action scoring gets still on my nerves, most of the rest is of such airy, dance-like balletic nature that together with COS it became my to-go score for whimsy fantasy. It ain't gonna get much better, at least in that general department.

I know the action scoring might be dense but how exactly is it clumsy? I've always found the action music in Williams' HP scores to be generally excellent. Though to be fair, I'm already a big fan of Williams' 2000's action music, xylophones and all.

515DW8JSTML.jpg

The Best of Mission: Impossible: Then And Now

An interesting GNP Crescendo CD from 1992 that includes:

-25 minutes of music from the original series

-25 minutes of music from the 1988 revival

-A 15 minute interview with Peter Graves

-A 6 minute version of the MI Theme (including The Plot and other stuff) performed live

I skipped the interview but listened to everything else. The music from the 60's show was awesome! Super fun, jazzy, funky, rhythmic, nice mix of a lot of tones and styles. The music from the 80s show was completely terrible, the worst of 80s synth dreck. Shudder. The live concert cue was nice.

And it was a very odd coincidence indeed that after listening to this on Monday, LLL announced their boxset on Tuesday!

What score should I listen to next? :)

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves is so long overdue. Why hasn't a specialty label been able to get this out yet? Are there rights issues?

I think there's a pretty decent amount of music missing, 30 minutes or more I think?

I know the action scoring might be dense but how exactly is it clumsy? I've always found the action music in Williams' HP scores to be generally excellent. Though to be fair, I'm already a big fan of Williams' 2000's action music, xylophones and all.

There are moments when you think Williams scores the fall of the roman empire instead of a children's movie. Come to think of it, there's something very Tiomkin about it. Just nothing i would want to listen to in my spare time.

Black Dahlia by Mark Isham: A very intentional throwback jazzy film noir score with Isham himself on solo trumpet taking the lead. Fantastic and hugely entertaining stuff.

L.A. Confidential by Jerry Goldsmith: The musical big brother of Black Dahlia, a steely film noir score with suitable edginess and sparseness to it. Main theme does borrow liberally from Leonard Bernstein's On the Waterfront but the explosive rhythms, subtle yet effective integration of electronics and sultry noir love music are vintage Goldsmith.

While not a classic on the level of Chinatown I find this to be a really fantastic creation from Goldsmith despite the score often having to find a way to make an impact in a sea of period source music in the film. While the 29 minute OST is a pretty effective distillation of major sections of the score I wish they would release the 40-45 minutes long complete score some day.

141934-L-LO.jpg

A true delight from beginning to end. I love what Westlake did here, the orchestrations are fresh yet familiar in a way that I'm hearing lovely new elements added to the known music.

And it's never anything less than wonderful. It's like hearing a totally new version of Babe's orchestral music, one without one spoken word, which is huge improvement if you think for a minute how the 1995 Varèse album was put together and released for us poor suckers that bought a copy (well I didn't buy a copy, but I've heard it and hated it).

20 years later we get this fine release and I would like to say 'better late than never' except to think of all the souls that loved Babe's score but have left this earth too soon. They weren't so lucky.

But of course that goes for so many fine releases these days.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind by John Williams: Nothing short of masterful, all of it, not just the finale.

Bingo. From beginning to end.

And it was a very odd coincidence indeed that after listening to this on Monday, LLL announced their boxset on Tuesday!

What boxed set is this? I didn't hear this announcement, and I don't see anything on their website.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind by John Williams: Nothing short of masterful, all of it, not just the finale.

Bingo. From beginning to end.

Quite literally. I already get goosebumps in track 1, from the building orchestra, with that powerful crash setting the tone for the rest of the album.

That pesky Dies Irae stuff, though....

You are thinking of SW77!

And then a few seconds of "music" from ESB closing out the track ;)

That's actually the other way around. 1980 came after 1977. :P

Not to mention some music that sounds like a ethereal version of music from War Horse in another track! ;).

There is nothing pesky about Dies Irae. Dies Irae is cool.

There is nothing pesky about Dies Irae. Dies Irae is cool.

TGP finds Dies Irae pretentious.

And yet... he loves The Lion King. ;)

Karol

The Big O - Toshihiko Sahashi

I never got into the anime thing, but I remember this one (and another one I can't recall but which also had interesting music) being on Adult Swim in the middle of the night a lot about ten years or so ago and thinking it was neat. I couldn't remember what it was for a long time, and recently rediscovered it. The first thing I did was look up the music, which I recalled distinctly. Really impressive score, part neo-classical drama, part jazz/funk, part monster movie music parody. Just really fascinating music. There's a complete playlist on Youtube. Here are a few of my favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TLtRB28DO4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F3v2Jh9pLs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4326EPkYyk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olhd5mgQe9Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt9P2RnXI-Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4QwxCNjcfM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igbJDTgTR7k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_GdLfpQEuc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ6upgAtzjU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJr9Ix1MULg

The Korngold one has had several releases and recordings, do we need another before the Kamen?

Actually, some of those Korngold swashbucklers are overdue for a decent Label release.