What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Just finishing Narnia 2 by Harry Gregson-Williams. I really don't understand why critics think it's better than the first score. There's just too much action in it and the magic is gone most of the time...

Vangelis - Blade Runner

Meh. Score works great in the film, no issues there. But as standalone music, it's not for me. Ace end credits cue, though!

This is something that has taken me a long time to appreciate. When I'm in the mood for it, it's an undeniably superb score! As original and timeless as ever.

Vangelis - Blade Runner

Meh. Score works great in the film, no issues there. But as standalone music, it's not for me. Ace end credits cue, though!

Agreed! On its own its not something I can listen to.

Count me in (out, I guess). I made the mistake of thinking the special editions would change my mind on the score, but they're only more (and more, and more) of the same kind of thing. Come to think of it, Vangelis has never really stricken my fancy to any great degree.

When I'm in the mood for it, it's an undeniably superb score!

That's absolutely how I feel! Except . . . I'm never, ever, ever in the mood for it. Pity. :mellow:

Vangelis - Blade Runner

Count me in (out, I guess). I made the mistake of thinking the special editions would change my mind on the score, but they're only more (and more, and more) of the same kind of thing. Come to think of it, Vangelis has never really stricken my fancy to any great degree.

There's stuff by Vangelis that I adore. But what I remember from BR isn't likely to excite me on CD, except for the credits cue. Same goes for Chariots of Fire - aside from the theme, of course.

Vangelis - Blade Runner

There's stuff by Vangelis that I adore. But what I remember from BR isn't likely to excite me on CD, except for the credits cue. Same goes for Chariots of Fire - aside from the theme, of course.

1492 remains his best score. And still think Pinta, Niña, Santa Maria is the best thing he has ever written

Christophe Beck - Ant-man

Meh. I mean, this isn't bad at all - its well written, fun 60's style. In fact a lot of it reminds me of the same stuff Kraemer does with MI5. But this isn't a game-changing score like some are making it out to be.

Maybe it's better if you've seen the film....

OK. I think I might have liked it more too if I hadn't heard MI5 first. Both share very similar styles, at least for a while.

There's a bunch of killer tracks here though, like Tales to Astonish!

Also loved the Avengers Theme cameo in First Mission

I've just listened to it. The theme is kind of annoying, and like the rest of the score, is more of a parody of surface elements of the 60s jazzy style than a substantial exploration of the really meaty trends thereof. All the colorful harmony and orchestration of the period is absent. A few interesting electronic moments can't salvage it for me. A lot of music, and none of it particularly engaging or memorable on any level.

For some reason I feel like Kraemer's score may be much better. I'll check that out soon.

El Cid by Miklós Rózsa

Quo Vadis by Miklós Rózsa

Julius Caesar by Miklós Rózsa

Splendid trifecta, that. (Y)

With Rózsa you can always hear the passionate genius at work. There is such artistry, craft and power to his music and it is so emblematically him what ever the subject matter from sword and sandal epic to film noir. I also have to mention the brilliance of the re-recordings of the above trio by Prague Philharmonic Orchestra and Sinfonia of London that really bring out the fiercely emotional nature of the composer's writing whether it is a small scale moment or something larger than life.

The Book Thief by John Williams: This is such a lovely small scale score, a younger cousin of Angela's Ashes, that has gotten even better with age. I love all the small woodwind moments nestled in the tracks (Revealing the Secret has such classic 1980s JW vibe going on in that department) and the cascading curious piano motif is as soothing as ever. The main themes are once again classic JW in my book, carefully crafted, both memorable and affecting and the one for Providence (or Death) remains in my mind the longest, encapsulating a haunting sense of sorrow the disembodied entity carries in the story as he does his slow job. Its transformation in the finale is nothing short of masterful, a moment that never fails to bring a tear to my eye.

Danny Elfman - Mission: Impossible

The first and still best MI film score. I love the wacky use of percussion (including a cuckoo clock!), the drive the whole score has, the choir moments (especially the cue for Hunt piecing it all together), really everything Elfman does. I even like that he only really breaks out the full MI theme twice, for the opening titles and then the final cue. But the little hints in a few other spots are cool too. And of course there's his new main theme, which seems inspired by The Plot, which also appears throughout the score in mostly subtle and heavily morphed ways, but also a few times in an almost straight-up way.

The whole score has a great rhythm to it, from the get-go it never slows down, yet is not an adrenaline fueled action score at all. The album is deftly assembled, though its long overdue for an expansion. The OST may be pretty close to complete, but there are cues missing and lots of little sections of the cues that are included missing, and I want it all! Come on specialty labels, this has to happen!

Munich - John Williams.

Solid 3 1/2 starrer.

Nah, five.

I am not a big fan of the Wailing vocals, nor the rumbling suspense music.

Munich - John Williams.

Solid 3 1/2 starrer.

Nah, five.

The lyrics on the Lisbeth Scott material are a bit odd. "Mee-hee-hee-hee. Bo-ho-ho kgnneeeehhhhh"

Munich - John Williams.

Solid 3 1/2 starrer.

Nah, five.

The lyrics on the Lisbeth Scott material are a bit odd. "Mee-hee-hee-hee. Bo-ho-ho kgnneeeehhhhh"

She actually wrote her own lyrics for Remembering Munich and they are not real words.

42578.jpg

Sweet jesus on a pogo stick... This must rank as my favorite Jerry expansion of recent times.

I'm having so much fun with the updated sound and new material. I love the Rambo statements, and there are tons of moments that just make me smile. :D

The added half hour gives the existing 40 minute program a bit more variety and quite simply more exuberant fun. Something we all need more in life.

I already loved the shorter album, but this new release easily makes it my preferred Goldsmith-Dante collaboration.

Can film music become lighthearted and quirky like this again please?

9837.jpg

Another stunning release from VS.

Its 2 hour length (with bonus cues) is perfect.

Its sound is stellar.

Its composition is chilling, wondrous.

My enjoyment is never-ending.

:love2:

Love that release.

I like a lot of Silvestri's original ideas much more than the final film versions. More emotional and thematic, less ethereal

Its suspense material is definitely interesting. And the synthy stuff isn't aimless either. It's all atmosphere-enhancing.

And when he lets loose, it's heavenly (Lindsey's Close Encounter, the finale).

42578.jpg

Sweet jesus on a pogo stick... This must rank as my favorite Jerry expansion of recent times.

I'm having so much fun with the updated sound and new material. I love the Rambo statements, and there are tons of moments that just make me smile. :D

The added half hour gives the existing 40 minute program a bit more variety and quite simply more exuberant fun. Something we all need more in life.

I already loved the shorter album, but this new release easily makes it my preferred Goldsmith-Dante collaboration.

Can film music become lighthearted and quirky like this again please?

Gremlins gets a lot of love, but I found this one to be so much better. It definitely has the fun/mischievous vibe down pat.

The Cell. My first full listen. Not an easy score to enjoy but some interesting textures can be experienced. I love how Shore uses the ethnic ensemble with an orchestra. Sometimes it feels like Goldenthal. Uncompromising but interesting - will be exploring it further.

The Count of Monte Cristo (Shearmur). It's probably darker than expected but, boy, can this guy write for an orchestra or what. Why doesn't he get more work? Orchestrations are top notch, writing clear and coherent.

Karol

There are two scherzos on MONTE CRISTO that i regularly return to. Shearmur later wasted away on small-scale piano tinkling kind of scores (though i like K-PAX for some inexplicable reason).

K-PAX was actually strangely memorable. I've seen the film once ages ago, without even paying much attention to it, and still can remember Shearmur's music.

Karol

There are two scherzos on MONTE CRISTO that i regularly return to. Shearmur later wasted away on small-scale piano tinkling kind of scores (though i like K-PAX for some inexplicable reason).

An Invitation to the Ball is outstanding. But I haven't yet found another Shearmur score that holds my interest. Reign of Fire is bland, and while Sky Captain sounded really fun, I've already forgotten what it sounds like.

Sky Captain is an overcooked pastiche - over-orchestrated and obnoxiously loud. But a very delightful one at that. You should give it another chance sometime. It deserves better.

Karol

Reign of Fire is the same, only without anything to make it delightful. SC definitely gave me a more enjoyable impression.

But Monte Cristo is rather the opposite of them: More precisely orchestrated and crafted, and better for it.

Sky Captain is really a very purposeful love letter to the film music of the Golden Age and its spiritual successors in the 1980s that sprang from the pens of the likes of Williams, Goldsmith and Horner. I can hear Williams' influence the clearest in the music but I still can't fault it as Shearmur crafts a very fun score that is conscious of its roots but comes to its own in the end and even manages at some points to capture some of that elusive rambunctious magic that permeates those classic 1980s scores and even has some of that same hummability to its themes. Undoubtedly the composer knows what he is doing and the fine ensemble of the London players can't do harm to the end result. But it is truly a brash, loud and big piece but I think it is all better for it. At least I need these kind of nostalgia scores once in a while.

I'll have to check out K-Pax and Count of the Monte Cristo more closely. It has been a good while since I last listened to those.

Shame that Shearmur has all but vanished from the film music map.

The Ghost and the Darkness by Jerry Goldsmith: The Intrada release gets better with each new listen. If there is one complete release that has significantly opened my eyes to a score and raised my already high opinion, it must be this one. The film version of the score with added music and percussion, synth and vocal overlays has significantly different dynamics compared to the original album, which results in a more driving, haunting and well-rounded experience. This score features a great seamless blending of all the above elements as they complement each other in different layers perfectly, adding to the mystery, terror, ferocity and majesty of the score. As I have said many times before the added music for the lions is the highlight, whether it is more action or the ghostly chanting, the clattering and watery synth effects or the short brass motto that follows them throughout.

If I hadn't bought the regular album of Ghost & Darkness a couple of years back for a quite hefty price, I'd have gotten the expansion in an instant.

It's the knowledge that I will render my pricey album obsolete that holds me back. It's stupid reasoning I know, but I'll have to convince myself a bit more that Jerry's music is worth owning twice. :)