What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

7 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

I find it far less monochrome than Insurrection, First Contact, and even parts of The Final Frontier.  I remember hearing that gnarly brass chord when the Romulan dude shatters on the floor at the start of the film, when I first saw the movie, and being relieved that this wasn't typical sterile late-period Goldsmith.

I'll be listening tonight.

Sorry, I meant "monotone". Or that it may seem like it thanks to its long running time and consistent tone.

Karol

Williams did it for SpaceCamp and Jurassic Park..... and I think one other album?  Can't recall at the moment....

Maybe I'm just thinking of the 1CD version of TESB OST.

38 minutes ago, Jay said:

Williams did it for SpaceCamp and Jurassic Park..... and I think one other album?  Can't recall at the moment....

Williams also did that with Earthquake (The City Sleeps) and The Eiger Sanction (Theme from "The Eiger Sanction").  Although both albums are rerecordings, the music for the end credits appears as tracks 6 and 7 on the respective albums.

Don't forget that the outer grooves of an LP have higher fidelity than the inner grooves.  Good engineers always putted the louder and brighter tunes at the beginning of a side. 

So an LP that begin with "The Imperial March" on side A, and the "Star Wars Main Title" on side B, that's really winner! But on a Cd, that's really looser!

PS : Don't tell that to hipsters, they think the sound from an LP is PERFECT and that it offers the best sound quality on earth!

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Which is ridiculous. Starts out with The Imperial March and ends with Finale on side 1. Side 2 opens with the Main Title.....

The 1LP edition of TESB presented his concert suite on Side A and film cues on Side B.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

The 1LP edition of TESB presented his concert suite on Side A and film cues on Side B.

In USA, the 1LP edition, is a promo edition. And that's what it is. International release may have used this configuration, but it's a promo config.

The true TESB original release is the 2LP one.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

It did. I have the Jurassic Park LP. 

Didn't someone criticise me because I once made the claim and the LP's side change is supposedly at another point?

Assassin's Creed Syndicate by Austin Wintory: I am loving the unique chamber music style the composer opted for in this entry.

R-7791337-1448835487-9128.jpeg.jpg

John Barry - Dances With Wolves (LLL edition)

Got this from a friend who urged me to give it another spin (i hated it in the 90's). Compositionally, it's still a joke - but you don't hire John Barry for enhancing your sprawling epic about the collision of the white and the red man's cultures in in the Civil War US with a complex, multilayered composition that reflects the crossover journey of your main character from one tribe to another. You hire him for lubing your epos with a rich handful of musical Crisco (Score Oscar 1990, of course, and it was inevitable). It's what we film music fans like to call 'lush' (it's no coincidence that it rhymes with 'mush').

Taking away the crucial fact that Barry's stubborn insistence on ramming his limpid Jane Doe-'classic' radio approach down the throat of any unsuspecting movie that crossed his path post-'Out of Africa' basically castrated the balls off some very good movies, one must grant the resulting score that it indeed is treasure trove of ultra-mellow harmonious bliss.

It's idle to lose yourself in the musical details because apart from very basic concessions to filmic requirements (y'know, minor mode=sad, major mode=triumphant and so on), it's all a big ball of puffed-up strings, horns and flutes playing stately Barry themes, one after another. Forget about thematic variation, dynamic variety and so on: it's all one tempo, it's all one size, it fits it all.

The huge success of scores like this (case-in-point: 'Legends of the Fall') makes it futile to argue the point that it's a rather flimsy film score - given it's gargantuan success, Barry must have been on to something. But while there where films and genres where Barry's style fit to a T, the regrettable thing about 'Dances with Wolves' is that it would have deserved a daring score that actually concerns itself with the big themes it attacks. Goldenthal comes to mind.