What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Images by John Williams: Still as strange and excellent as ever.

Capricorn One (Intrada film score release) by Jerry Goldsmith: It is a sparser and leaner than the re-recorded soundtrack album but Goldsmith's ability to sustain suspense and apprehensive mood are most impressive and the propulsive action moments are keep you at the edge of your seat.

Jerry Goldsmith - Gremlins 2

To push my suite again i will give this dear favourite of last year's Deluxe editions another push: the genre comedy and its many varieties often means big roadblocks for composer and listener, as it requires either a very deft or delicate hand to weave something that isn't unsubstantial or plain annoying. For Goldsmith, Joe Dante's zany comedies were a blessing in that their action and horror twists usually afforded him a musical brace he fit in comfortably, leaving obviously 'comedic' parts at the fringes (y'know, droll bassoons, cheery waltzes etc.) and left him with enough characterization beyond the hijinx to develop at least a minimum of a dramatic structure.

While his best, most refined work in that ilk remains 'the 'Burbs', 'Gremlins 2' follows suit. Not saddled or indeed concerned with the Spielberg sentimentality that centered 'Gremlins', the movie is a carefree hodgepodge of puppet jokes, zany characters and broad parody. It's thanks to the composer's iron hand that there are several rock-solid thematic strains holding it together.

With the old themes making occasional returns (basically Gizmo's Theme), there are at least four new ones, though the dramatic function of the more heartfelt one is slim at best. Goldsmith now mainly refines his drum machine circus frenzy from 'Link', that is happily married to Carl Stalling-Looney Tunes cartoon anarchy: while he never allows the anarchy to completely take over, the electronic bells, whistles and toy train choo choo's are exactly the right ingredient to take the edge off his brawny but often monotonous and blunt action cues that were a hallmark since 'Rambo II'.

The old Varése album was a great Best of-compilation with reference cues like 'Pot Luck' or 'Teenage Mutant Gremlins' and watching the movie you wouldn't think there is too much missing. The new Deluxe edition reveals that the score - written in between 'Total Recall', drawing from it and actually much more entertaining - has a richer scope that didn't come off due to the usual tinkering in the mixing room that left several substantial cues by the wayside. There is a 10-minute middle section ('Gremlins At Work / The Brain Hormones / Gremlins Wings', 'Gremlin Mayhem') that quickly became one of my favourites due to a wicked combination of the more pounding Gremlins 2-tune, the stylish electronic organ music for Christopher Lee's sinister lab and instrumental embellishments like at the flirring flutes entering at the 02:15 mark that, for this era of Goldsmith's career, mandate a huge applause.

Sound is great, too, so a investment is a safe and sound way to bring both demented fun and cool action music to your house at this dire time of the year.

On ‎2016‎-‎01‎-‎28 at 8:59 AM, Bespin said:

A little hand-made playlist (that starts very pleasantly!), a sort of Anthology covering the period from 1969 to 1984...

01 Overture from Goodbye Mr. Chips

02 The Reivers Overture

03 Entracte from Fiddler on the Roof
04 Main Title from The Poseidon Adventure

05 Nice To Be Around from Cinderella Liberty

06 Overture from Tom Sawyer

07 Main Title from Tower Inferno

08 Main Title from Jaws (The Album)

09 Main Title/Rebel Blockade Runner from Star Wars

10 Resolution & End Title from CE3K

11 Theme from Superman

12 Imperial March from ESB

13 Raiders March from Raider of the Lost Ark

14 Flying from E.T. (The Album)
15 Luke and Leia from ROTJ

16 End Titles from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

17 The River

NOTE: all made with OSTs.

Part deux, covering the period from 1987 to 1997.

01 The Dance of the Witches from the Witches of Eastwick

02 Exsultate Justi from Empire of the Sun

03 Main Title from The Accidental Tourist

04 Born on The Fourth of July (Single Remix, 3:28)

05 Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra from Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade

06 Somewhere in my Memory from Home Alone

07 Prologue from JFK

08 End Credits from Jurassic Park

09 Theme From Schindler's List

10 The Farewell Scene from Nixon

11 Theme from Sabrina, End Credits

12 Sleepers at Wilkinson from Sleepers

13 The Lost World

14 Seven Years in Tibet

15 Dry Your Tears Afrika (Reprise) from Amistad

Today I'm going for a lengthy walk and will listen to at least a few of the seven best 21st century Williams scores, as ranked by me in the corresponding thread.

1. A.I.

2. TFA

3. Lincoln

4. Memoirs of a Geisha

5. Minority Report

6. POA

7. TSS

21 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: Creed by Ludwig Goransson. Now, this is how you do an entertaining, memorable modern blockbuster score that honours tradition but looks ahead. It's great in the film, gradually gaining strength along with main character.

Karol

Its pretty good. When I first checked it out, the name sounded really familiar and after looking him up, turns out he was the composer for Community. I always knew he was quite talented, especially with his mastery of playful, cheeky pastiche in that show. I'm glad he's getting more attention and opportunities now!

1 hour ago, KK. said:

Its pretty good. When I first checked it out, the name sounded really familiar and after looking him up, turns out he was the composer for Community. I always knew he was quite talented, especially with his mastery of playful, cheeky pastiche in that show. I'm glad he's getting more attention and opportunities now!

If there is any criticism to be had it's that the score tends to be too bit repetitive on album. The main theme, while really quite cool, might be slightly overused, even if he manages to arrange it in various cool ways. In the film it isn't really a problem, cause the score becomes more prominent in the second half and you have various songs in between (some of which get instrumental arrangements on the score album). And I don't like the inclusion of dialogue.

Karol

Sabrina by John Williams: A rather breezy affair with a wonderful main theme, which in itself sums up the score rather nicely even though Williams managed to pen two additional themes for the movie that both also appear in song form on the album, How Can I Remember and In the Moonlight.

On ‎2016‎-‎01‎-‎31 at 7:58 AM, Bespin said:

07 Prologue from JFK

13 The Lost World

14 Seven Years in Tibet

... And Finally, part 3 (1998-2015)!

01 Hymn to the Fallen from Saving Private Ryan

02 Theme from Angela's Ashes

03 The Patriot

04 Where Dreams Are Born from A.I.

05 Hedwig's Theme from HP & The Sorcerer's Stone

06 Catch Me If You Can

07 A Window to the Past from HP & The Prisoner of Azkaban

08 Sayuri's Theme And End Credits from Memoirs of a Geisha

09 A Prayer For Peace from Munich

10 The Adventures of Mutt from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

11 The Adventures of Tintin

12 Dartmoor, 1912 from War Horse

13 The People's House from Lincoln

14 ''One Small Fact'' from Book Thief

15 Rey's Theme from The Force Awakens

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Why did you leave off The Lost World?

This anthology is my alternative to the 2-CD greatest hits that Was issued many years ago. Several movies are left out. I wanted it very "great public". Honnnestly, nothing in Lost World is great public ;-)

That Playlist may be a good starting point for a newbie.

Mr. Holmes by Carter Burwell: I have to say this melancholy memory waltz dominated piece of dramatic scoring is absolutely terrific from start to finish. Classy stuff.

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Indeed!

The age of anthology is upon us. Lament and despair!

And yes theme from Lost World is a classic in my book!

On ‎2016‎-‎01‎-‎31 at 7:58 AM, Bespin said:

07 Prologue from JFK

13 The Lost World

14 Seven Years in Tibet

OKAY OKAY OKAY!!! :music:

10 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Mr. Holmes by Carter Burwell: I have to say this melancholy memory waltz dominated piece of dramatic scoring is absolutely terrific from start to finish. Classy stuff.

One of the finest of the year in my books. Burwell has had a good year.

16 minutes ago, KK. said:

One of the finest of the year in my books. Burwell has had a good year.

The film wasn't too shabby either as a character piece. McKellen was very charismatic as the old, tired Holmes battling his memory deteriorating and trying to come to terms with his mortality.

I thought it was a rather poignant character piece. Though I'm sure there are plenty of people who might go in expecting the energy and suaveness of the Sherlock series, who'll inevitably come out disappointed.

It's an admirably intimate picture.

2 minutes ago, KK. said:

I thought it was a rather poignant character piece. Though I'm sure there are plenty of people who might go in expecting the energy and suaveness of the Sherlock series, who'll inevitably come out disappointed.

It's an admirably intimate picture.

Agreed. McKellen had great chemistry with the child actor too, who was spot on in the role of a precocious child.

The score reminded me in places of Desplat and had the same mournful melancholic quality as Young's Creation. Which of course is a compliment. Burwell has been busy in the last couple of years but I have not been too keenly been listening to his scores. I think I should delve a bit deeper after this.

I dug up a rather nice Sarde tune from the mid-90's. Thriller about jews and nazis, with a nice jewish theme recalling, of all things, Waxman's russian love theme from 'Taras Bulba'.

The Empire Strikes Back: Symphonic Suite from the Original Motion Picture, conducted by Charles Gerhardt

The Empire Strikes Back, as presented on Star Wars Trilogy: The Original Soundtrack Anthology

Star Wars: The Force Awakens FYC

3 hours ago, Incanus said:

Agreed. McKellen had great chemistry with the child actor too, who was spot on in the role of a precocious child.

The score reminded me in places of Desplat and had the same mournful melancholic quality as Young's Creation. Which of course is a compliment. Burwell has been busy in the last couple of years but I have not been too keenly been listening to his scores. I think I should delve a bit deeper after this.

Check out Burwell's Carol from this year. It's a similarly minimalist work, but with a more romantic edge. 

I've been listening to Paul Smith's sumptuous 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.  Magnificent music, highly recommended to all here.  The grandiloquent opening, the lovely horn melody that accompanies the Abraham Lincoln starting its hunt, the underwater funeral, which seems to me one of the finest examples of the "religioso" sound in film scores... grand score all around, every note. 

The passage you mention of the underwater funeral is one of the most vivid musical depictions of the underwater realm that I have ever heard. It's a terrific score, one of my favorites

6 minutes ago, Indianagirl said:

Being a huge disney fan I know this score well. It is a magnificent score that I hope makes the legacy collection soon.

Why wait when Intrada has already released it.

51Lwbd-gKXL.jpg

01. Main Title (Captain Nemo's Theme) (2:26)
02. Street Fight (1:04)
03. Aboard the Abraham Lincoln/
Hunting the Monster (2:29)
04. A Whale of a Tale (2:10)
05. The Monster Attacks (2:21)
06. Deserted Sub/Burial/Captured (9:14)
07. Fifty Fathoms/The Island of Crespo (8:45)
08. Storm at Sea/Nemo Plays (2:26)
09. Strange Man of the Seas (4:04)
10. Nemo's Torment (1:00)
11. Justified Hate (1:29)
12. Searching Nemo's Cabin (4:02)
13. Ned's Bottles (0:44)
14. Ashore at New Guinea (2:55)
15. Native Drums/Back to the Nautilus (3:50)

16. Submerge (1:45)
17. The Giant Squid (6:54)
18. Ambush at Vulcania (4:47)
19. Nemo Wounded (2:44)
20. Escape from Vulcania (3:43)
21. Finale / Deep Is the Mighty Ocean (0:52)

BONUS TRACKS
22. A Whale of a Tale (Single) (2:07) - Kirk Douglas
23. And the Moon Grew Brighter and Brighter (Single B Side) (2:32)
- Kirk Douglas
24. A Whale of a Tale (2:22) - Bill Kanady
25. A Whale of a Tale (2:00) - The Wellingtons
26. A Whale of a Tale (Reprise) (0:12) - Kirk Douglas

Return to Oz OST
Masters of the Universe complete score

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Collection Disc 4: Our Man Bashir, Trials and Tribble-ations and What You Leave Behind

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier complete score

Star Trek: First Contact complete score

I had a video game day today, so the last 3 I have listened to were these:

- Dragon Age: Inquisition - Trevor Morris

It's high fantasy music for a high fantasy game.

- Uncharted 3 - Greg Edmonson.

Such a wonderful score, for me, this is the best of the 3 Uncharted scores.

- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Marcin Przybylowicz, Mikolai Stroinski and the band Percival

Maybe my favourite soundtrack from 2015 (besides EPVII), it has basic fantasy elements too, but the ethnic Eastern European instrumentations, folk songs and influences elevated it to something much more. Oh, and the game’s awesome too :D