What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Here's a slower, more pathetic take on it. 

And a cursory glance over several choral works reveals a kindred spirit of Williams, too (Peace on Earth has a clear AMISTAD vibe about it). 

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban OST

Not quite a perfect album. It's too long and really loses steam in its meandering second half. So I fixed that by skipping numerous tracks to cut out the fat and bring it down to a more reasonable length.

Daybreakers by Christopher Gordon: A bit too monotone and dark for my tastes but contains some really impressive individual moments of gothic darkness and chilling use of voices.

Lost: The Final Season (The Last Episodes) by Michael Giacchino: This double CD set (along with the first release for season 6) contains some of my favourite Giacchino music. His economical musical language for the television series is at its most florid here and the final season features some of his most heartfelt and catchy themes for the show. The way he juggles his huge book of thematic material and still keeps adding to it up to the last minute is nothing short of amazing. The wonder and tragedy filled theme for the Source/Mother, the love themes and various character themes, the angry music for the Man in Black, mysterious semi-religious music for Jacob, the heroic trekking music, the music of the Island and Others and soaring themes for hope and survival, for life and death, all mingle at the end and the story is beautifully drawn to a serene conclusion in the still very emotional Moving On. Say what you will about the series itself but the music was definitely something special and still packs a huge emotional wallop.

Did you enjoy the John Williams-like string writing (in his more religioso mode) in the end credits of Daybreakers? I never thought of this score as particularly dark, by the way. Not entirely happy either. But definitely lighter than most horror music.

Karol

Well yes that pieces was one of the highlights but especially the opening half of the score feels a bit uneventful, several tracks only seeming to sustain tension and mood for extended periods of time. That said this was only my second listen. Will listen with more attention in the future.

6 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

No, don't say what you will about the series itself.  It's as great as the music!

I like the series as well as the music too.

Listened to some 90's classics

Danny Elfman - Mission: Impossible

Absolutely love this perfect gem of an Elfman score.

Eric Serra - The Fifth Element

Love it.

David Arnold - Independence Day (OST)

Well, most of it.  I had the urge to listen to this the other morning and, without access to my ipod that contains the LLL release, I discovered the OST was on Spotify so I started on "The Darkest Day" (I was in the mood to hear the aliens' theme.  I ended up listening to the entire damn rest of the OST!  It's funny, I had forgotten that the OST actually includes a huge chunk of the complete score with nothing missing (from "Darkest Day" to "Base Attack"), but then after that we're all of a sudden at the end of the score, with almost nothing from the middle of the film represented.  Love the LLL release of this and plan on listening to it soon

John Barry - Dances With Wolves (LLL)

Brilliant release of a brilliant and amazing score.  I still don't know how I managed to go so long without listening to this score; It's great!  Wonderful themes, all used in many interesting ways.  The LLL main program is excellent, I've listened to it five times already.  I listened to the bonus track area once, and there's nothing essential in it.  I'll just stick to the main program.  108 minutes of bliss!

Jerry Goldsmith - Total Recall (Quartet)

Great action score from Jerry, a long-time favorite.  The new presentation sounds better than ever, the music is really clear and reveals a lot of details.  Like DWW, the bonus tracks on disc 2 are non-essential, but the main program is great here!  So happy a truly comprehensive, complete and perfect-sounding release is available for this score!

48 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Lost: The Final Season (The Last Episodes) by Michael Giacchino: This double CD set (along with the first release for season 6) contains some of my favourite Giacchino music. His economical musical language for the television series is at its most florid here and the final season features some of his most heartfelt and catchy themes for the show. The way he juggles his huge book of thematic material and still keeps adding to it up to the last minute is nothing short of amazing. The wonder and tragedy filled theme for the Source/Mother, the love themes and various character themes, the angry music for the Man in Black, mysterious semi-religious music for Jacob, the heroic trekking music, the music of the Island and Others and soaring themes for hope and survival, for life and death, all mingle at the end and the story is beautifully drawn to a serene conclusion in the still very emotional Moving On. Say what you will about the series itself but the music was definitely something special and still packs a huge emotional wallop.

When I rewatched the series a few months ago, I forgot how brilliant Desmond's sideways theme was.

Marco Beltrami - Seventh Son

Still a fine score with good themes, but the Varese release (hey, that rhymes) is kinda long.  The album wanders a bit before its strong finish.

Christopher Young - The Monkey King

Super fun score, highly enjoyable.  I love the album structure Young gave this, its assembled well with a nice flow and a strong finish. I'd still love a complete and chronological release someday, and sometime should check out the wacky-looking film to put this music in context.

Howard Shore - Spotlight

I recently saw this film (which is excellent) and barely even noticed its score throughout; I was surprised when I saw Howard Shore's name in the end credits because I had literally forgotten he scored this.  Listening to the album, its hilarious how the main theme is almost completely identical to Bard's Theme from The Hobbit.  I never noticed it once in the film.  Anyway, the album is a pleasant enough listen, but nothing terribly exciting.

Danny Elfman - Goosebumps

Silly fun.

7 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Yeah, he's probably my favorite character on the show, as well.

The (last?) rendition of his theme, when he's telling Jack how none of this matters or whatever before they go down the hole, I fuckin' love that.  Time to rewatch this show?

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

Well yes that pieces was one of the highlights but especially the opening half of the score feels a bit uneventful, several tracks only seeming to sustain tension and mood for extended periods of time. That said this was only my second listen. Will listen with more attention in the future.

It's not exactly the kind of score that swells and soars. But there are recurring ideas that are developed throughout it. For a moody and heavy score like this, it's long album might be a bit too much. It's the kind of score people tend to respect, not so much enjoy frequently. But that's ok, sometimes these end up being the strongest ones.

Karol

Craig Safan - The Last Starfighter (Intrada)

Fantastic release, one of the best of 2015.  A great score sounding better then ever, in a complete presentation that has great flow.  Wonderful!

Jane Eyre - At Lowood (Williams, Boston Pops - Pops Britannia)

Jane Eyre - To Thornfield (Williams, Boston Pops - Pops Britannia)

Jane Eyre - The Return (Williams, Boston Pops - Pops Britannia)

Balloon Sequence & Devil's Dance from Witches of Eastwick (Williams, Boston Pops - Salute To Hollywood)

Born on the Fourth of July Suite (Williams, Boston Pops - Music For Stage And Screen)

I whistled the entire finale/end credits in the shower, so I was in the mood!

- Jurassic Park 20th Anniversary album rearranged into a more chronological order

- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith expanded edit

John Williams & Friends

- Love is here to stay (with Jessye Norman)

- Schindler's List- Theme (with Itzhak Perlman)

- Now, Voyager (with Itzhak Perlman)

- Four Horseman of the Apocalypse (with Itzhak Perlman)

- Cinema Paradiso- Love Theme (with Itzhak Perlman)

- Henri V Suite (with Itzhak Perlman)

- Three Preludes - 1st mov. (with Joshua Bell)

- Nice Work if You Can Get it (with Joshua Bell)

-  I Got Rhythm (with Joshua Bell)

- Suite From Memoirs Of A Geisha (with Yo-Yo Ma)

- 'American Collection' Theme (with Yo-Yo Ma)

- Over the Rainbow (with Christine Brewer)

1403446367_star-trek-nemesis-the-deluxe-

Jerry Goldsmith - Star Trek: Nemesis

Much-maligned upon its release in 2002, Goldsmith's last outing for this series is an odd duck in its, one must presume, deliberate reduction from sweeping and large-scale to moody, angular and sinister. Much has been speculated how the illness that claimed him only 15 months later played its part in shaping tone and appearance of this score and while the case can be made, it is more that the composer (again beyond the call of duty) genuinely responded to what was unfolding on the screen.

Though the psychological insight within the largely textural body of the 80-minute composition is nothing short of amazing, the lukewarm reception can be easily traced back to Goldsmith refusal to leave the well-trodden aesthetic ground of his lean 90's action works, making it hard to differentiate 'Nemesis' from a pile of decidedly mediocre potboilers especially in its quasi-main theme, a hueless variation on the monster movie horn growl that functions quite the same way in 'Deep Rising'.

Still, if you get beyond the bare-naked bluntness of it (and leave behind the original album's monotonous cue selection), you'll be rewarded with a complex, multi-layered work once you cracked the many corresponding little ideas that work as part of one big psychological framework.   

The dreadul movie, apparently result of the most egregious sort of scriptwriting by committee, deals with a defective clone, Shinzon (the less said about the idiotic ways the story unfolds the better), and he's bitter, out for a kill and ultimately a tragic figure (d'uh). What starts out as lurking and brooding before launching into the inevitable attack mode is congenially translated into music: the threat of Shinzon is characterized by a combination of synthetic effects and brooding chords that are twisted from halting menace ('The Box', 'Secrets') to jolting adventure ('Odds and Ends') till they reach boiling point (actually a long succession of cues that run from 'Attack Pattern' to 'Final Flight').

The humanist counterpart of the Enterprise crew gets a few strokes of wide-eyed optimism ('My Right Arm', 'Your Brother') preserved from a short wafting all-purpose motif dating back to ST V. There's also a silky, floating idea devised from this for a second clone (don't ask) in 'Data & B-4'. While obviously the 1979 Star Trek theme (in tandem with the Courage fanfare) is still associated most with the series, Goldsmith rightfully chose the much more flexible and, pardon the expression, space-y idea as the inofficial ST theme for his Next Generation-movies.

There is a wonderfully reflective oboe send-off in the pen-ultimate 'A New Friend' that should have closed the series for good, but the ensuing credits illustrate Nemesis's Jekyll-and-Hyde problem: a limp retread of the fanfare/march that piggybacks the now finally resolved theme for Shinzon before awkwardly returning to the old main theme that should have run its course at the end of ST V (a brilliant end title, btw). This kind of pragmatic compromise characterizes the score's weaknesses not only in thematic terms: retiring at least some of the old synthies and syncopated action lines could have gained it a much higher place among the pantheon of Star Trek scores. It's much more ambitious musically than the frayed, unfocused 'First Contact' and the superficial surface gloss of 'Insurrection' and a worthy testament to Goldsmith supreme abilities as dramatist.

The Gift by Christopher Young

Karaoke & Cold Lazarus by Christopher Gunning

Some ideals are worth dying for, aren't they, Jean-Luc?

:music: A.I. complete score, although publicist's review made me want to listen to Nemesis, currently unavailable to me after the great computer crash of 2016.

Jesus, A.I. is such a great score.

It is the best ST film score of 2002.

But seriously, it is a really good score with more happening under the surface than its monochrome surface would lead you to believe.

Karol

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

But seriously, it is a really good score with more happening under the surface than its monochrome surface would lead you to believe.

Karol

I find it far less monochrome than Insurrection, First Contact, and even parts of The Final Frontier.  I remember hearing that gnarly brass chord when the Romulan dude shatters on the floor at the start of the film, when I first saw the movie, and being relieved that this wasn't typical sterile late-period Goldsmith.

I'll be listening tonight.

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

Karol

Haven't heard it, but it must be damn good to top The Two Towers, I Am Dina, The Hours, Ball of Wax, and The Rookie - I'll have to check it out.

2 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

It's easily, easily better than all of those except TTT.  It's just better than that one.

----

Anyone else love the haunting score to the BBC radio drama?

Is there a recording available of this music? Apart from some special collector's version of the radio drama itself I mean.

The Spitfire Grill by James Horner: A lovely little intimate score mixing charming mysterious orchestral strains with folksy Americana.