What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

:music: Collage - The Last Work by James Horner. This is a very lovely disc actually. Really enjoying the different arrangement of Jose's Martyrdom and two premiere pieces.

Karol

I revisited Legends of the Fall, a personal favourite, yesterday and coincidentally enough today I see there's an article in DenofGeek listing Horner's 25 best scores and LOTF is #1.

I'm not sure I'd put Legends as #1, but it's definitely up there for me.

On my four day cross-country road trip:

Batman (1989) OST
Batman Returns OST
Titanic OST
Back to Titanic

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial OST
Star Wars Trilogy: The Original Soundtrack Anthology

Star Trek: First Contact OST

(and even the) Back to the Future OST

Most of those over and over again. I didn't have easy access to my score collection, which was buried in the back of my truck, so I stuck with these "beater" copies that are usually always in my truck, or used to be. But rest assured, I brought everything back to L.A. with me this time, including my autographed Superman box set.

webcam-toy-photo1(1).jpg

Boston Symphony Hall when he still did autographs. The next night I had him do Minority Report.

56 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

I generally listen to audiobooks on long road trips.  I really never got into listening to film scores in the car, it's more of a headphone experience for me.

It's tough because I drove with the window down most of the trip since it was hot and I have no AC. The Anthology is loud, so there's no issue hearing the softer parts, but the Horners and old Williams OSTs have ridiculous dynamic range, so I had to constantly turn the volume up and down. Goldsmith and Elfman are somewhere in between. The guys in New Mexico that inspected me to make sure I was an American citizen got a kick out of hearing "Batman Vs. The Circus" cranking. I regret not digging out Pee-Wee's Big Adventure from the Elfman/Burton set for when I stopped at the Cabazon Dinosaurs.

Sweet. That is one amazing set, signed or not. I absolutely love it.

Denial by Howard Shore

American Pastoral by Alexandre Desplat

The Girl on the Train by Danny Elfman

Inferno by Hans Zimmer

Karol

Nixon by John Williams

The BFG - The Big Friendly Giant by John Williams

Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith by John Williams

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (OST album) by John Williams

4 hours ago, TheWhiteRider said:

What do you think?

Yes, is it infernal enough would you say?

Cinderella Liberty by John Williams: John Williams doing jazz/funk is just awesome and I have a soft spot for Nice to Be Around which is such a lovely melody. And once again I ask why is Paul Williams singing, because it has been attested time and time again that he can't.

Inferno by Hans Zimmer

What a mess. It's basically a generic EDM/dubstep/grunge remix of A&D/DvC material with a new half-assed piano ditty thrown in there. The beautiful "Science and Religion" theme takes the centre stage in this score, but in lazy variations and in-verbatim quotes ("Beauty Awakens the Soul to Act"). Clearly this project did not inspire Zimmer like both its predecessors did. I read somewhere that this one was a rush job, and it really shows. He seems to have to passed this on to lesser collaborators this time around (instead of Balfe/Zanelli, we apparently have Mazzaro/Kawcynszki), and what you get are half-assed synth variations (seems like they didn't have time to do much with an orchestra) of previous material, with nothing pointing to the sense of invention that Angels and Demons got. Motifs just get tossed around for temporary mood-setters, as if they're just a series of MIDI patches. There are some occasional moments of colour though, but they're ultimately lost in an album that long overstays its welcome. "The Cistern" (where "Science and Religion" gets turned into typical modern Zimmer action cue) and "Elizabeth" are probably the only cues worth keeping for interest. By the time you get to the expected Chevelairs reprisal at the end ("Life Must Have It's Mysteries"), it sounds like a freaking masterpiece and you thank the Gods for a merciful ending to a largely dull/painful experience. The reprisal itself isn't very special, and the scratchy soloists recorded atop it don't help either, but it does serve as a nice reminder of the kind of music this franchise used to offer.

I think I'm going to wash my ears of this crap by revisiting the other scores.

11 hours ago, Stefancos said:

A.I.: Artificial Intelligence 

Shouldn't you be listening to Jaws or E.T. ? This isn't a score for retro-JWFanners. ;)

Karol

11 hours ago, Incanus said:

Cinderella Liberty by John Williams: John Williams doing jazz/funk is just awesome and I have a soft spot for Nice to Be Around which is such a lovely melody. And once again I ask why is Paul Williams singing, because it has been attested time and time again that he can't.

He's not not a brilliant singer, but he's not that bad. JUST AN OLD FASHIONED LOVE SONG is nice.

Out of interest: who would have to sing NTBA, and WS?

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure

What a masterpiece. It didn't seem Elfman could ever top this one and the jury's still out on whether or not he ever really did, but he followed up with our beloved Batman (1989), Batman Returns, and, well...that's about it! All that matters anyway.

I think very highly of Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Beetlejuice, Batman, Nightbreed, Dick Tracy, Darkman, Edward Scissorhands, Batman Returns, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Sommersby, Black Beauty, and finally Mars Attacks.

That Elfman died long ago.

9 minutes ago, Shatner's Rug said:

The opera lady singing in Where Dreams Are Born just annoys me. But everything else on Disc 2 is amazing.

That's one of my favorite tracks from any Williams OST. Her voice is beautiful.

Basic Instinct (Quartet Records release) by Jerry Goldsmith

Abzû by Austin Wintory

Hellboy (Deluxe Edition) by Marco Beltrami

Assassin's Creed Syndicate by Austin Wintory

The Witches of Eastwick by John Williams

Chinatown (Intrada release) by Jerry Goldsmith