What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: Nobody's Fool by Howard Shore

Karol

Great score, great movie. One of my absolute favorite Paul Newman performances (and one of my favorite Bruce Willis performances too!)

Hook (Expanded OST) - John Williams

Gosh, I really do forget sometimes that this might be my favorite John Williams score, certainly in contention for the top spot.  Just perfect.

Also, anybody know what precisely was used to make the ghostly sound at 1:25/26 that recurs several times over the following 30 seconds in "Presenting the Hook" below?

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Also, anybody know what precisely was used to make the ghostly sound at 1:25/26 that recurs several times over the following 30 seconds in "Presenting the Hook" below?

Synth I assume

:music: The Lord of the Rings Symphony by Howard Shore. I guess it's a good introduction for a layman or someone who only wants one compilation album. As such, it does a good enough job at establishing the material. As a concert work, it's disappointing. But it's nice to have a recording with Kaitlyn Lusk performances. She is a very talented and versatile perormer indeed. To be able to emulate all those different colours is remarkable. I enjoyed her performances during live to projection performances. Remember she had to suddenly replace Lisa Gerrard in Krakow for a Gladiator concert, and did an awesome job with that as well.

Next up: RoboCop 3. Forgot it arrived on Thursday! My memory is getting worse...

Karol

I'd listened to parts of the War Horse OST in the past and I saw the film this summer but yesterday I heard "The Desertion" and "Pulling the Cannon" for the first time (outside of the film, that is) and I was blown away by the beginnings of each. Along with the marvelous "No Man's Land" which I'd already heard many times, these make this an incredible action score. 

Interestingly, the could-have-been-a-fugal-subject melody from "The Desertion"...

... actually became a theme (albeit a rather unheralded one) in TFA -- a B theme for the First Order.

Here's one cool example of its usage (this was an unused cue):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9cEg3TElmWGdUdW8/view

Rambo: First Blood Part II by Jerry Goldsmith

3 hours ago, Will said:

I'd listened to parts of the War Horse OST in the past and I saw the film this summer but yesterday I heard "The Desertion" and "Pulling the Cannon" for the first time (outside of the film, that is) and I was blown away by the beginnings of each. Along with the marvelous "No Man's Land" which I'd already heard many times, these make this an incredible action score. 

I wouldn't exactly call War Horse an action score myself but yes the action material (among other things) in it is quite excellent. One of the surprising things about the steely action music in The Charge and Capture is how close it comes to the original material from the stageplay score, which must have functioned as temp track. The similarity is a bit too glaring to be a pure coincidence.

I heard you can get sentenced to Legends of the Fall, Enemy at the Gates and Deep Impact if you commit murder these days. That is harsh.

Karol

War Horse is one of Williams' finest assembled albums of the 2000s/2010s. It has a terrific musical flow and narrative.  Out of all his recent albums, it's the one I'd most recommend listening to in full rather than in pieces.  

When I was Will's age (which was not as long ago as one might think!) I always listened in full! Even when I did'nt  start from the beginning but started from a certain point I made sure I listened to the end.

19 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Out of curiosity, Will, do you ever listen to a score from start to finish? It seems you generally just listen to a few tracks here and there (you've mentioned listening to parts of E.T., HP, Hook, War Horse... Never the whole thing, it seems).

Not judging, just wondering if this is your way of discovering scores (judgment will come later!).

19 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Kids these days don't have the patience to sit though a while album. Blame YouTube!

3 hours ago, Fennel Ka said:

When I was Will's age (which was not as long ago as one might think!) I always listened in full! Even when I did'nt  start from the beginning but started from a certain point I made sure I listened to the end.

@BloodBoal

Judgement will come later!

That's comforting! ;)

Anyway, you are right, it is pretty rare that I listen to an entire album or fan edit straight through. In general, the only time I do it is if a score is new and I've been looking forward to it, in which case I listen to the whole OST straight through (a few times if it's JW), if or the score is not new but I've obtained something somewhat "rare" (or at least it feels rare) for the first time (for example, a specialty label CD or a fan edit; getting a widely available OST CD is not a guarantee that I'll listen to the whole thing). 

Certainly, I have listened to some programs "straight through" (I don't mean in one sitting, although I have listened to some long programs that way)! And some of them were very, very long -- such as the HPSS edit or TPM edit. In the case of TFA and The BFG I've listened to the full OST several times. Etc. 

But I think the reason why that is pretty rare is that I'm so overwhelmed by the depth of Williams's oeuvre (and that of other composers). I always hear people raving about this score and that, and I feel daunted by the prospect of every time seeking out a fan edit or specialty label CD, or even just listening to the whole OST (and I often feel like if there is a more complete release or edit, listening to the whole OST is a massive waste of time since eventually I'll end up listening to the expanded version). So sometimes I kind of end up ignoring scores.

I'm not even sure when I'm going to get to LOTR, which has a whole sub-forum here that I stay out of because I'm not familiar with it. Probably after I get a little deeper into JW's works. 

So, anyway, because of the daunting nature of these things. I tend to just look up a track or two on YouTube. So I've heard concert suites for many scores that I've heard nothing else from. Similarly, there tends to be the effect that I listen to certain tracks I like over and over again. "Get 'Em R-2!" probably has way more listens than any other track of ROTS right now, for example. When that's running through my head I don't listen to the whole score again; just that one cue. It's much easier to keep listening to what you're comfortable with and it takes some initiative to seek out new scores (especially given that JW's music is not always particularly rewarding on first listen -- and that also brings me to the other topic of feeling too lazy to listen to scores again when I didn't like them the first time even though I know I should give them another chance). 

Another thing is that if I spent less time on JWFan I would have much more time to actually focus on listening to JW music. :lol:

6 hours ago, Richard said:

I'll give you that one, tears, 'n' all.

WADE'S DEATH is brilliant.

I rewatched the movie as well as re-listening to the OST.  Damn, that is a tough scene to get through. I'm in pieces every time.

Copy that. Wade's seems to be the most useless death in the film, while Upham's treatment of the German soldier is the most shocking moment. IMO, the film is Upham's story, not Ryan's, nor even Miller's.

In a way, the film is very much an adult version of THE COWBOYS.

49 minutes ago, Richard said:

Copy that. Wade's seems to be the most useless death in the film, while Upham's treatment of the German soldier is the most shocking moment. IMO, the film is Upham's story, not Ryan's, nor even Miller's.

In a way, the film is very much an adult version of THE COWBOYS.

Yes yes yes. I love Davies' performance so much. It's too bad he got typecast as unhinged weirdos after this, great actor.

The Magnificent Seven by Simon Franglen ("and James Horner")

Meh. I don't buy it. Sounds very much like a Horner impersonation without any of the conviction. Familiar colours, progressions, melodic contours and even the danger motif are all thrown in there. But it rarely rises above solid imitation. Maybe its because it succumbs to modern film scoring tradition more than I'd like. Either way, it just doesn't stick as it is. The Horner theme isn't all that great either. But maybe a revisit might do it some favours.

Denial by Howard Shore

Nothing to write home about. Typical drama-mode Shore with all the familiar motivic cells, just presented with a larger orchestral force than these films get. I much prefer Doubt

8 hours ago, KK said:

The Magnificent Seven by Simon Franglen ("and James Horner")

Meh. I don't buy it. Sounds very much like a Horner impersonation without any of the conviction. Familiar colours, progressions, melodic contours and even the danger motif are all thrown in there. But it rarely rises above solid imitation. Maybe its because it succumbs to modern film scoring tradition more than I'd like. Either way, it just doesn't stick as it is. The Horner theme isn't all that great either. But maybe a revisit might do it some favours.

Denial by Howard Shore

Nothing to write home about. Typical drama-mode Shore with all the familiar motivic cells, just presented with a larger orchestral force than these films get. I much prefer Doubt

Since you have got Doubt and Denial covered is there possibly finally Acceptance at the end of the road?

Black Beauty by Danny Elfman: Now this is something to write home about if you are into pastoral scores with Irish lilt but still rendered fully through orchestra and soloists. It is just about as far away from Elfman's wacky and gothic late 80's early 90's sounds as it gets. The music is thoroughly melodic, beautifully recorded and gorgeously performed and while it most revolves around one main theme the composer orchestrates it in so many way it never feels repetetive or boring. The supporting themes are just as beautiful and gentle and compliment the main idea wonderfully. There is definite fairytale charm to the whole piece.

And while there is sunshine and joie de vivre here the composer also creates some thunderous action and haunting atmospheric moments along the way and even his favourite kind of music, namely sad, comes to play often and we are treated to some of his most delicate and heartfelt material in that department. I always have to mention another different Elfman score, Sommersby in the same breath with this one as these two are truly worth looking into if you want to hear a different kind of mid-90's Elfman expanding his palette and succeeding with flying colours.

3 minutes ago, publicist said:

I recommend:

I need to check this one out!

22 hours ago, Richard said:

IMO, the film is Upham's story, not Ryan's, nor even Miller's.

Upham is the audience's entryway into the film, the everyman, so-to-speak, so I would agree with that.  Ryan is an abstract idea until we finally meet him, and even then, he's just the mission.  The through line is Upham.

Minority Report. All the individual pieces are solid. But it seems to like every track on the album belongs in a different film/genre. It's a hodge podge of different JW traits traits - comedy, suspense, post-A.I. leftovers, action, horror. It's all well and good...but can it be ever more than a sum of its parts?

Family Plot. One of my favourite John Williams albums to come out in the past 10 years. It's a quirky score and quite unlike anything he's done since. Another great Autumnal entry in his oeuvre.

Black Sunday. Yes, some elements feel familiar and it's largely a variation other 1970's scores he did around that time... But it also forms the only action thriller in John Williams' career and that alone makes it stand out. It's focused and well executed score with a clear musical arc. Delicious.

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Minority Report. All the individual pieces are solid. But it seems to like every track on the album belongs in a different film/genre. It's a hodge podge of different JW traits traits - comedy, suspense, post-A.I. leftovers, action, horror. It's all well and good...but can it be ever more than a sum of its parts?

I've been listening to this one a lot lately. It's one of my favorites! I had Williams autograph the OST.

On 10/2/2016 at 11:22 PM, Incanus said:

I wouldn't exactly call War Horse an action score myself but yes the action material (among other things) in it is quite excellent. 

Well, yes. I didn't mean to characterize the whole thing as such, although it may have come across that way. For me War Horse is still a pastoral score, and I think most here would agree.

:music: Gojira by Akira ifukube. This new recording is pretty neat actually. Desplat did a good job at honouring this material without ever really quoting it. It's interesting that both composer use their primary rhythmic themes as a device to depict military, not as much Godzilla himself..

Karol

Mulan - Jerry Goldsmith

Had to re-listen to this after hearing news about the remake. It's such an engaging listen, and it's really refreshing to hear a Goldsmith score attached to a movie worthy of his talent. There's a wonderful thorough line, musically, from "Short Hair" to the heartfelt "Gratitude." It brings back fond memories of the movie, and it's stupefying that Disney hasn't released an expanded soundtrack. Especially considering Goldsmith's popularity.