What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

:music: Edge of Darkness by Howard Shore. It took me five years but I finally fully "got it". This is a really fine thriller score from Shore, well conceived, executed and recorded. It became unfairly shoved aside once Corigliano's excellent original version saw the light of the day. It's interesting to see there are some parallels between the two.

But is it just me or does it contain some variations on Mordor material?

Karol

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: Edge of Darkness by Howard Shore. It took me five years but I finally fully "got it". This is a really fine thriller score from Shore, well conceived, executed and recorded. It became unfairly shoved aside once Corigliano's excellent original version saw the light of the day. It's interesting to see there are some parallels between the two.

But is it just me or does it contain some variations on Mordor material?

Karol

Half of Shore's scores contain variations on the Mordor material.

John Barry's Robin & Marian

I say John Barry, it's the Nic Raine/City of Prague recording (yes, I know) and even then it got tweaked by someone else once Barry was done. Only found that out reading the liner notes. Still, while some might not view it as JB's finest, like a few of his scores I quite like it and affecting in parts. It has a similar sound to what he used in They Might Be Giants but it works...in both films. Quite.

Concerto for Horn and Orchestra by John Williams

Trumpet Concerto by John Williams

On 9/13/2016 at 3:49 PM, Richard said:

I have, actually, never heard this.

I like the performances for "Princess Leia" and "The Asteroid Field". The other tracks? I'd stick with the Utah Symphony or the original recordings.

On 13/09/2016 at 8:54 PM, Disco Stu said:

It's got some great performances.  I switch between it and the Utah Symphony album when I want a Whitmans sampler of Star Wars music.

4 hours ago, Matt C said:

I like the performances for "Princess Leia" and "The Asteroid Field". The other tracks? I'd stick with the Utah Symphony or the original recordings.

Thanks, both!

The Utah is good, but, after the OST, TIE FIGHTER FIGHT is painfully slow :lol:

What do people think of the Gerhardt!

Gerhardt is the best (for SW and parts of ROTJ, that is), followed by the Skywalker Symphony (no love for their Imperial March? really?). I don't really ever listen to the Utah recording.

Medal of Honor: Airborne by Michael Giacchino

The Light Between the Oceans by Alexandre Desplat

https://www.amazon.com/Magnificent-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/dp/B01L68J0SW/ref=tmm_msc_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

The Magnificent Seven - James Horner & Simon Franglen

First listen after morning coffee...it's uneven and much too long. The Horner who wrote 'Star Trek' and 'Patriot Games' is clearly the originator of the core material - 'Rose Creek Oppression' introduces a neat questioning horn call right out of the old Horner sci-fi movies and puts it into good use as haunt from the past/vast frontier idea - and there are nuggets along the way but also a lot of less accomplished chugging action stuff á la mode and a - for Horner standards - disappointingly simple heroic theme based on boring trailer block chords. Will have to investigate further...

The beginning of Earthquake, but I stopped it. Much too... 70's...

A.I. expanded set

Angela's Ashes (with narration)

Rosewood expanded set

Hook expanded set (which I hope will get reissued one day, cause I'm a geek, but I love to spend my money on physical CDs...)

:music: Metropolis Symphony by Michael Daugherty. Imagine if Zack Snyder decided to use Red Cape Tango for his Doomsday fight in Batman v Superman? It was actually written in 1993 (1992?) as a final movement to this suite/symphony inspired by Superman. It is entirely based on Dies Irae (in a tango setting!) and was supposed to commemorate the main character's death (and imply imminent resurrection):

Karol

Laurent Perez Del Mar - Zarafa

Laurent Perez Del Mar - Loulou, l'incroyable secret 

Laurent Perez Del Mar - Animal Kingdom: Let's go Ape

Listened to these 3 again on Spotify, this time the entire albums instead of just the score cuts.  Well, the pop songs intermixed in Animal Kingdom totally ruined the flow so I won't do that again.

But other than that, these are great scores but a new composer I will continue to follow with great interest.  I'll be ordering his Red Turtle score soon and look forward to checking out his live action scores soon as well.

These animated scores are really, really fun, featuring occasional shades of Powell, Williams, Giacchino, and others, but maintain his own voice throughout as well.  Highly recommended!

John Williams - Return of the Jedi

So much amazing action writing in this score, only matched by Indiana Jones 2 he'd write a year later.  Brilliant stuff!

Film Fest Gent and Brussels Philharmonic present Alan Silvestri by Brussels Philharmonic

Wow!  I really enjoyed this live concert recording of various Alan Silvestri music.  They didn't strive to try to sound just like the original recording, so you get some nice new interpretations of the music you know and love (BTTF, Predator).  I enjoyed that the program wasn't entirely his old classics (the previously mentioned BTTF & Predator, Mummy Returns, Forest Gump, Cast Away, etc) but also included some recent works (Polar Express, Cosmos, Avengers), it made for a nice program.  It really made me want to check out some of his OSTs I haven't yet, like Mouse Hunt and Quick and the Dead.  A very nice CD!

58 minutes ago, Jay said:

John Williams - Return of the Jedi

So much amazing action writing in this score, only matched by Indiana Jones 2 he'd write a year later.  Brilliant stuff! 

This is fast becoming my fave SW score. BROTHER-SISTER/FATHER-SON is...wow!

Nubuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy IV

Well, since the DS Remake OST let me down, I decided to go back to the original tracks.  Turns out the OST CD from the 90s is kind of disappointing; All the tracks fade out after just one pass-through of the music, resulting in a pretty short and fairly disjointed listening experience.  I just learned that in 2013, Square  put out a 2CD version where the music loops twice before fading, and includes some little cues left off of the original OST, so I'll track that down.

Nobuo Uematsu - Distant Worlds: Music from Final Fantasy
Nobuo Uematsu - Distant Worlds II : More Music from Final Fantasy
Nobuo Uematsu - Distant Worlds III : More Music from Final Fantasy

I actually listened to a custom playlist I made, of all the tracks from all three releases re-edited into chronological order (IE all the FF1 tracks, then all the FF2 tracks, etc)

Well, I enjoyed it quite a bit, especially through FF7 or so.  I started to lose interest often after that.

Also, I was not a fan of all the songs that are here, especially in FF 8 through 10 or so I think it was.  They just weren't good songs.  But the orchestral music is so wonderful.  Gotta start digging more into all these scores in full form!

Here's my Spotify playlist of the 3 CDs re-arranged into chrono order:

5 hours ago, Bespin said:

The beginning of Earthquake, but I stopped it. Much too... 70's...

And what's wrong with the 70s, Bes?

EARTHQUAKE has great stuff on it:

MILES ON WHEELS, SOMETHING FOR ROSA, SOMETHING FOR REMY, WATCHING AND WAITING, CITY THEME, LOVE SCENE, THE CITY SLEEPS, it's all great

Listen to it, again. Listen to it, now. :) Do it! :angry:

Brian Tyler - Now You See Me 2

One of my favorites of the year, a fun listen from start to finish.  I recently learned the chrono order and might try that next, and might see the film this weekend too.  But hte OST arranged by Tyler is already very good, and almost makes up for the unavailability of the original's score on pressed disc.

Malcolm Robinson - Chrono Trigger: Orchestral Selections Vol. I

Wow ! These are very nice orchestral versions of 15 Chrono Trigger cues.  I thought they did a really good job, and it was wonderful to revisit this music (which I only discovered last year when I started playing the game for the first time).  Well done!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/id1056829993

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Brian Tyler - Now You See Me 2

One of my favorites of the year, a fun listen from start to finish.  I recently learned the chrono order and might try that next, and might see the film this weekend too.  But hte OST arranged by Tyler is already very good, and almost makes up for the unavailability of the original's score on pressed disc.

A lot more interesting then the big budget headache inducing action scores he is known for. He should do more of this smaller scale stuff.

Totally agreed, Stefan.  His big action scores are all interchangeable to me, and not very interesting.  But the two NYSM scores are a lot of fun, and a lot different than other scores coming out today.  Really enjoy them

1 hour ago, Richard said:

And what's wrong with the 70s, Bes?

EARTHQUAKE has great stuff on it:

MILES ON WHEELS, SOMETHING FOR ROSA, SOMETHING FOR REMY, WATCHING AND WAITING, CITY THEME, LOVE SCENE, THE CITY SLEEPS, it's all great

Listen to it, again. Listen to it, now. :) Do it! :angry:

It's only this little pop theme with the percussions that I think aged not so good. I'll find another to moment to listen to it.

The Japan Ground Self-Defense Force Central Band - Premium Wind Ensemble Collection Of Ghibli

Wow, another gem!  This is my first foray into listening to any of Joe Hisaishi's music, believe it or not.  I really liked so much of the music here, he really paints pictures beautifully with his music.  My only complaint, is that many of the suites end with a really big, grand finale feel to them, which kind of doesn't work when you have so many on the same CD.  If anything, it made me want to check out each film's full OST instead of just listening to highlights.  I will do so soon!

Mac Quayle - Music from Mr. Robot Volume 1

I tried, but just couldn't get into this CD and had to change it after a dozen tracks.  The music in the show during season 1 didn't impress me much so its not terribly surprising, but the music in Season 2 was a big step up so was hoping I'd hear something here I missed.  Nope.

:lol:

diagoro789 - Final Fantasy IV Complete Soundtrack for Piano

Well, I was in the mood to revisit FF4, and I found this on Spotify and figured I'd give it a shot.  It turned out to be pretty good, its the whole OST but performed on piano, and quite well.  Some tracks work better than others, but over all its like a pleasant, subdued version of the original music.  Kinda neat.

James Horner / Simon Franglen - The Magnificent 7

Really fun, I liked it a lot.  Towards the middle it gets a bit heavy on Powell-style ostinators, but it begins and ends strong with some nice Horner-ish music.  It doesn't sound like a Horner score through and through, more like an homage by someone technically capable of understand  Horner's music and arranging and orchestrating it properly, but without the talent to his own original music anywhere near good enough to compete.  But despite this, the final product meshes well enough to be an enjoyable listen.

'Starship Troopers' Deluxe Edition by Varése: i chose a generous selection but...is that 10-minute end title unique or just a cut and paste job? I mustn't hoard 80 minutes if 70 are enough...

Unbenannt-1.png

The End Credits are just a music editor hack job Poledouris had nothing to do with.  I dunno why Varese bothered to press it to CD.

11 hours ago, Jay said:

Any thoughts on any of those?

You have my thoughts on the latest "Horner" in the other thread. Both Black Gold and Wolf Totem are really enjoyable albums. The latter is a terrific listen actually, combining "ethnic melodrama" with some touches of his children/fantasy scores. I'm not saying there would be ever considered as seminal works but offer very sensibly put together programmes. For Greater Glory, while a very fime score, suffers a bit from the opposite.

And you know that I really like Kraemer's score. There is something about it's slightly stodgy conservatism that appeals to me. This is probably a first for this franchise. Actually feels like a spy thriller.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

'Starship Troopers' Deluxe Edition by Varése: i chose a generous selection but...is that 10-minute end title unique or just a cut and paste job? I mustn't hoard 80 minutes if 70 are enough...

Unbenannt-1.png

So what do you think about this one?

Karol