What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

The Girl with a Pearl Earring by Alexandre Desplat

Hostage by Alexandre Desplat

Also:

Like with many Horners, first you are a bit put off by how hard it wants to please (it's Desplat's beautiful mind) but in the end you might give in because aside from film music no composer would dare to offer such streamlined pleasures. Desplat has a similar talent to feel out what the film is and needs. If you have seen 'Imitation Game' which is one of those fuzzy laboured biographies you immediately know why Desplat's main theme yearns in such grand fashion.

13 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

I've been listening to this one a lot lately. It's one of my favorites! I had Williams autograph the OST.

MINORITY REPORT has the best "chasing a pair of eye-balls down a corridor all the way to a drain cover" scene, I have ever watched.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

MINORITY REPORT has the best "chasing a pair of eye-balls down a corridor all the way to a drain cover" scene, I have ever watched.

Is it also the only one?

But I too have a soft spot for the score. I feel it is very much unified in tone while it contains a wide range of stylistic elements from JW scores new and old.

I love all of Williams' 2002 scores. That was easily my favorite year for Williams scores in my lifetime.

Twilight Zone: The Movie

The Rocketeer

Star Trek: First Contact

Alien by Jerry Goldsmith

Aliens by James Horner

Poltergeist by Jerry Goldsmith

On 10/5/2016 at 10:33 PM, Koray Savas said:

Yeah I wish this was one of the Legacy Collection titles.

I think it will for 2018. Or an expanded Intrada release.

23 hours ago, Shatner's Rug said:

Has there been an example of a crummy score with a good album?

Armageddon comes close, because the songs are better than the score, but the score is not crummy. I'd look for something else like this, but that's an exception. A song album better than the score. 

I really think I it is fantastic how Burgon bounces phrases of the melody to different instruments in the stereo field.

33 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm imagining the "007" melodies with a Living Daylights-style drum machine beat and it makes me happy. Ah well.

I'm not sure Woj would agree :lol:

2 minutes ago, Fennel Ka said:

I really think I it is fantastic how Burgon bounces phrases of the melody to different instruments in the stereo field.

Is that Geoffrey Burgon, the BRIDESHEAD guy?

Hellboy (Varese release) by Marco Beltrami: Definitely among Beltrami's very best music,this score is a fun musical comic book hero romp from start to finish with nice gothic Lovecraftian horror vibes to it. The score is chock-full of themes and Beltrami does a good job integrating all of them throughout in interesting ways. There has been a chronological boot floating around for years but it is great to finally get this score officially in complete form and in good sound quality.

P.S. For those chronological order obsessed folks around here the new Varese set seems to have two cue out of order (perhaps for listening purposes), Horny and It Will Be Quick from disc 1 should actually follow Tango With Milk And Cookies And Small Rocks from disc 2 in chronological order.

The Terminal by John Williams: A light little bon-bon from the Maestro, full of melodies and light quirky orchestrations with a slightly Eastern European twist. Interestingly some of the melodic material remind me of the better chipper orchestral passages from the 1980's synth-laden Heartbeeps. The jaunty comedic main theme with its challenging clarinet solos is simply delightful and the jazzy love theme has very old school Hollywood romance to it, fully explored in the concert arrangement Jazz Autographs.

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

P.S. For those chronological order obsessed folks around here the new Varese set seems to have two cue out of order (perhaps for listening purposes), Horny and It Will Be Quick from disc 1 should actually follow Tango With Milk And Cookies And Small Rocks from disc 2 in chronological order.

Thanks for the tip. Will wait for a completely chronological release, then!

36 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Thanks for the tip. Will wait for a completely chronological release, then!

Hopefully in another 20 years or so.

I know you are old school listener and demand production quality but you could do one of those playlists of your own, you know.

How to Train Your Dragon 2 by John Powell: There is such emotional abandon in this score it is hard not to get swept along. It's big, bold, colorful and exciting and I feel has such genuine heart to it. Plus I find Powell's "Vaughan Williams on steroids" approach absolutely delightful but here he has actually improved upon the first score and made the elements more balanced and less dense.