What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Abzû by Austin Wintory: This one has been getting steady listens. Still among the best of the year. This guy should be scoring all these big blockbusters. While not exactly holiday music this one contains such beautiful and lyrical atmosphere it is perfect to settle me into relaxed holiday mood.

Home Alone (LLL 25th Anniversary Edition) by John Williams: Ah such a holiday classic and always gets me into Christmas mood. Doing all the decorating and preparations goes all the easier with this as the soundtrack for Christmas bustle in our household.

The Nativity Story by Mychael Danna: A completely different kind of Christmas score but among Danna's very best with such stupendous mix of influences but still coming through it all as a unified whole where each part complements the other. The score boasts superb vocal music and on the whole is perhaps conceptually more spiritual and subtextually deeper musical response to Christmas than your average Hollywood epic.

The Thief of Bagdad (Tadlow/Prometheus re-recording) by Miklós Rózsa: Almost Korngoldian in its playfulness, this might be considered the composer's top fantasy/adventure score full of colour, energy, whimsy and sprightly thematic interplay in the best Golden Age fashion. At times the atmosphere brings to mind some of the Romantic greats like the Russian master of colour Tchaikovsky. The restored songs and additional material unearthed for this re-recording from the Syracuse University library is masterfully prepared by Leigh Phillips and performed with their customary gusto by the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra and Chorus, who have become really adept in recreating the musical ambience of Rózsa's lively music. Another suitably glowing release to brighten the Yuletide.

Yesterday at work I had a lot of work to do, so instead of picking different things to listen to throughout the day I made a big playlist on Spotify in the morning and listened to that.  I dunno how I chose what I chose, but what I put on it was:

Jerry Goldsmith - Planet of the Apes

I thought Varese had this score in perpetuity since 1998, but this release is credited to"Project 3" dated 2015, but is the 1992 Intrada program (which was basically the 1968 LP with "The Hunt" added in).  Anyways, this score is just so cool, such wacky instrumentation I haven't really heard used again since.  Does anyone know if the 1998 Varese CD can be improved upon, IE by a sonic upgrade (better elements) or additional unused/alternate music? (I know it contains everything you can hear in the film)

Jerry Goldsmith - Alien

The OST album.  I love the mood this score creates, regardless of which presentation you listen to the score just sucks you in

James Horner - Aliens

The Varese DE.  When listening back to back you pit up on little orchestral things JH did to reference the original score.  The highlights of this score or unquestionably the action cues, but there's so much good stuff in the in between stuff too!

James Horner - Humanoids From The Deep

Hehe, in many ways, this is like a prototype Aliens score, or like a low budget version of Aliens.  It does't feature the same level of action music, but has similar suspense / horror music.  Its pretty good.

James Horner - Battle Beyond the Stars

And this is kind of like a low budget Star Wars / Krull.  There isn't much here that excites me, because he would redo it all better later.

Basil Poledouris - Robocop

Releases credited to Orion Pictures Corporation 2015, but is actually the Intrada program.  I programmed out the 4 source cues, just listened to the score.  Still great!

Danny Elfman - Mission: Impossible

It was the OST program.  Love every minute of it.

Joseph LoDuca - Army of Darkness

The OST.  This score is like a forgotten 90s classic, isn't it?  The whole score is good, lots of different ideas in this score, but its all cohesive.  I'm starting to realize that more of it was influenced by Danny Elfman than the single cue he penned for this.  Good stuff here.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

James Horner - Battle Beyond the Stars

And this is kind of like a low budget Star Wars / Krull.  There isn't much here that excites me, because he would redo it all better later.

Very energetic score though. and I love the way the orchestra completely loses it on one of the tracks.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Basil Poledouris - Robocop

Releases credited to Orion Pictures Corporation 2015, but is actually the Intrada program.  I programmed out the 4 source cues, just listened to the score.  Still great!

Good release of an outstanding score. But the source cues should have been included as bonus tracks. They don't work in the main program at all.

Elfman's score is absolutely fantastic. Now this is how you pay homage and yet completely change the game. And he seems to enjoy playing with other people's material.

Listened to The Lost World while contemplating English countryside from a train window earlier. Strange juxtaposition. The pastoral fields scored with jungle drums.

Karol - now listening to Broughton's Miracle on 34th Street

16 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Good release of an outstanding score. But the source cues should have been included as bonus tracks. They don't work in the main program at all.

Source cues rarely do, IMO. 

I keep the Cantina Band cues where they are in Star Wars... I programmed Cartoon Demonstration (Stalling Around) into the chronological order in Jurassic Park...but I have no need for the source cues to be in the main program of Robocop, Back to the Future, The Rocketeer...

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I thought Varese had this score in perpetuity since 1998, but this release is credited to"Project 3" dated 2015, but is the 1992 Intrada program (which was basically the 1968 LP with "The Hunt" added in).  Anyways, this score is just so cool, such wacky instrumentation I haven't really heard used again since.  Does anyone know if the 1998 Varese CD can be improved upon, IE by a sonic upgrade (better elements) or additional unused/alternate music? 

More music maybe (probably nothing substantial) but for the sound i remember Nick Redman once explained how the tinny strings sadly are what they are on a lot of Fox releases around the time. The way they were recorded unfortunately can't be amended by technology.

As for seasonal scores that are suitably and hopelessly mellow/sentimental this is one i always love to come back to:

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country complete score

Star Trek: Insurrection complete score

Home Alone complete score

Batman Returns complete score

Hook complete score

I can't explain it, but I think Hook may now be my favorite Williams score. We're JWFan official.

A german friend did this documentary about refugees in Germany: it's a chamber-sized work for strings and harp and it's very good, in a Johnny-Greenwood-sort of way. And the topic is one we might think about much more in the coming years. Merry christmas to all...

23 hours ago, Jay said:

I thought Varese had this score in perpetuity since 1998, but this release is credited to"Project 3" dated 2015, but is the 1992 Intrada program (which was basically the 1968 LP with "The Hunt" added in).  Anyways, this score is just so cool, such wacky instrumentation I haven't really heard used again since.  Does anyone know if the 1998 Varese CD can be improved upon, IE by a sonic upgrade (better elements) or additional unused/alternate music? (I know it contains everything you can hear in the film)

...and, if memory serves, a bit more, besides.

POTA was the first JG album that I bought. My family listened to it, and just didn't get it. For me, it was like water meeting a duck.

I know almost nothing of the recording details, and I'm not exactly sure what could be done with the sound (new masters from the 35mm film?)

If you want an "alternate" POTA, go to Jerry Goldsmith Online, and listen to a re-recording of the score. It's good.

Always by John Williams

The John Williams Jurassic Park Collection

Agatha Christie's Poirot by Christopher Gunning

The BFG by John Williams

Nonsense! We all do have our favourites. JP and TLW are in steady rotation but I expect the initial mania to pass soon-ish.

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York by John Williams

Fracture by Mychael Danna: A pretty low key effort. Suitable reading accompaniment for a crime novel I received as a Christmas gift.

:music:The Ghost Writer by Alexandre Desplat

Hell Or High Water

Mars

by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis

My first listen of the latter a few months ago didn't leave much of an impression, but after the Hell Or High Water discussion in the movie thread, I decided to revisit it tonight. Perhaps I just wasn't paying attention earlier, but the score really opened up to me on this listen. It wasn't anything like I recalled it to be; much more lyrical and emotionally rich. Cave and Ellis are two of my favorite composers, and while I absolutely adore their work, I will admit that they are more or less one trick ponies. Similar to Philip Glass, each work feels of the same body, but damn if there isn't something about their sparse sound and style that really resonants with me. I'm tossing Mars up with my other two favorites of the year: Arrival and The Vessel.

It's been 19 years and I can still smell the fresh popcorn. The film had never been viewed, the music had never been listened to. The Lost World was called the greatest score ever. And it was. It really was.

La La Land

Seems like this is the clear favorite for Best Original Score.  I actually really like it, would not mind if it won at all.  It is extremely effective in the film, even if it is sparse and incidental on the album.  Weird to actually support the winner of best original score, if this does indeed win.  Usually the winners just piss me off.  I've still got a lot of catching up to do otherwise, though.

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Finally listening to the expanded Lost World. And I can suddenly remember how in 1997 I could think that this was the greatest score ever.

2 hours ago, Rose Dawson said:

It's been 19 years and I can still smell the fresh popcorn. The film had never been viewed, the music had never been listened to. The Lost World was called the greatest score ever. And it was. It really was.

Still listening to JP1. I'll get to JP2 soon.

I've just listened to the whole new Jurassic Park. I think my favourite new piece is track 9 on disc one. I like the thump it has on my hi-fi.

Otherwise, it's too long. You could probably get s 40, maybe even 30 minute album from this.

6 hours ago, Daniel Clamp said:

I've just listened to the whole new Jurassic Park. I think my favourite new piece is track 9 on disc one. I like the thump it has on my hi-fi.

Track 9 on Disc 1 is "Jurassic Park Gate", which was on the OST.