What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

33 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Dracula - John Williams

I fell asleep listening to it, but don't take that as negative judgment of the score. I was just tired.

Check your neck in front of the mirror, just in case.

41 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Dracula - John Williams

I fell asleep listening to it, but don't take that as negative judgment of the score. I was just tired.

Your... exertions below decks were no doubt, exhausting.

p_lllcd1214.jpg

Jane Eyre [Music From The Omnibus/Sagittarius Production] (1971) (2012, La-La Land Records, LLLCD 1214)

I just love this score, one of my best discovery of the recent years. Unfortunately, the LLL release's liner notes takes more time to read than to listen to the score!

original Return of the Jedi. Been ages since I heard the Yub-nub bit (and so accustomed had I become to the Special Edition version) that it came as a bit of a surprise. Bemused surprise at that. Followed up with the original Episode IV and as with ROTJ have gotten so used to how it was presented on the Special Edition releases.

Empire takes me back as when I was little, my Dad leant me his cassette he brought of the score in 1980 (always strike me as odd for his collection was predominantly John Barry and to this day I've not known anyone else slip into that collection, well, bewilderingly Horner's Iris) for me to listen on my new player. Thus borne an everlasting love for the Han Solo & The Princess Theme. Sort of miss the days when soundtracks were fresh to my ears before I knackered them repeatedly.

Fantastic Four - Marco Beltrami & Phillip Glass

I don't hear much of Glass in here, other than a few rhythmic ideas and certain notes beefed up with Beltrami's more traditional sound. There are some standout cues like the main theme and the end credits suite, but it's too uneven. The thing is, it would actually be right at home in Tim Story's kid-friendly F4 films than Josh Trank's POS.

Moana

Quite good. Mancina's score is decent, but it's outshined by the songs, which are catchy and stick. I never expected Dwayne Johnson of all people to be able to pull off a Disney song, but he's quite good. Good listen that will probably get a few replays in the coming weeks.

Conan the Barbarian - Basil Pouledoris (Tadlow)

God, I love this re-recording. The detailed score reconstruction, to the wonderful Prague players, and the crisp sound. With Pouledoris' original instrumentation and preferred orchestral size intact, it feels more primal and purer. "The Kitchen/The Orgy" is one such cue, as well as "Anvil of Crom."

I would not be opposed to Tadlow Music pursuing a re-recording of Williams' Dracula score at this point. Great album and presentation.

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

Jazz Time. Bonne année les amis!

15774768_1545524838796681_64626639010214

Ooh, but there's some gaps, there, aren't there?

No EARTHQUAKE, no TOWERING INFERNO, no MISSOURI BREAKS, no MIDWAY, no FAMILY PLOT, and what is THE FURY doing after SUPERMAN?!

Also, your JAWS case looks like it needs replacing.

Otherwise, a nice selection :)

HNY, dude!

12 hours ago, Rose Dawson said:

Star Trek: First Contact

Hey that is the score I listened to just yesterday! It's pretty decent.

22 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Hey that is the score I listened to just yesterday! It's pretty decent.

Stellar main theme, a couple of good setpieces, and everything in between is solid.

Good score!

23 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Stellar main theme, a couple of good setpieces, and everything in between is solid.

Good score!

Joel's music meshes really well with Jerry's too. One of my favourite Trek scores.

4 hours ago, Richard said:

and what is THE FURY doing after SUPERMAN?!

Oops! Well it even goes before Jaws 2 if I'm correct, no?

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

Oops! Well it even goes before Jaws 2 if I'm correct, no?

I think you might be wrong, on that score (no pun intended! :lol:).

JW mapped-out some themes, for SUPERMAN, while (or, perhaps, just before) composing JAWS 2, but didn't start to score it properly, until July, 1978. It was all to do with SUPERMAN's shifting release-date.

Imagine if JG had said "no" to

THE FIRST GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY...

1 hour ago, Daniel Clamp said:

I couldn't tell who wrote what.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

It's quite easy for the most part.

43 minutes ago, Daniel Clamp said:

Without looking at the tracklist, I can't tell who wrote what.

To be fair, it is possible to tell who wrote what. The Goldsmith Jr. stuff just doesn't sound like JG.

Having said that, the two composers' music works well, together.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

I think you might be wrong, on that score (no pun intended! :lol:).

JW mapped-out some themes, for SUPERMAN, while (or, perhaps, just before) composing JAWS 2, but didn't start to score it properly, until July, 1978. It was all to do with SUPERMAN's shifting release-date.

Ok, here it is, the release day of the movies in the USA:

The Fury --> March 10, 1978

Jaws 2 --> June 16, 1978

Superman: The Movie --> December 15, 1978

I'm assuming that the album releases matches these dates less or more!

Wouldn't know about the actual release-dates of the OSTs, but I remember buying them, as they came out, JAWS 2 as an import.

I saw SUPERMAN on December 16, in London, and bought the OST the next week. JAWS 2 had a UK release-date of December 26, 1978, and went wide the following January. I saw THE FURY at the cinema, but I couldn't guess when.