What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

:music: The Princess Leia Suite. I. Princess Leia's Theme. II. Luke and Leia. III. Han Solo and The Princess.

Changed the order slightly. Thought that love theme would be a more appropriate third movement, especially because it reprises Leia's theme.

Karol

Star Wars.

The original soundtrack release, or rather the recent digital remaster of that release.

Great album! Flows beautifully with a wonderful musical rather than story narrative. A couple of harsh edits are now actually part of the charm.

Such a good score.

I think he tried to use Hope theme as a basis for his main title. But Williams doesn't have the Giacchino's emotional maturity as a composer and instead went for slightly embarrassing one-dimensional heroism. Disappointing.

Karol

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Star Wars.

The original soundtrack release, or rather the recent digital remaster of that release.

Great album! Flows beautifully with a wonderful musical rather than story narrative. A couple of harsh edits are now actually part of the charm.

Such a good score.

I had the same observation when I listened to Sony's digital remasters of the original OST albums last year.

The original Stars Wars album may be incomplete and out of order, but it works wonderfully.  As you said, it does very effectively tell a musical story, despite being different from the film's story order.

The original Empire Strikes Back album, however, I found did not work as well.  Certainly, this is partially due to the score being much longer, so even at 74 minutes its hard to capture everything the score has to offer... but even ignoring that, the ORDER he chose to put the highlights he selected just makes no sense to me, honestly. I didn't find that the original 2LP program had any kind of flow at all, felt more like a highlight collection randomly ordered.  The Star Wars album had a clear beginning, middle, and end, but the TESB program doesn't seem to have any structure at all.  Weird.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. I promised myself to listen only after unwrapping the OST, and oh God, was it worth the wait!

Overall, I think it's an excellent score. Possibly my favourite of all nine Potter-related scores so far. JNH's ability to depict magic is simply stunning and, dare I say this, he does it better than JW sometimes. Of course, Desplat didn't have the chance to do it, Doyle did a remarkable job, and Hooper, well, no comment. But this score has something... light-hearted and whimsical that the others didn't really have. I love Jacob's Theme (the trumpet part in the suite brought me right back to the age of five), and of course no words do justice to the Macusa cue. Tis magic.

Apart from the two suites (which could have been a tad shorter), all the bonus tracks aren't really worth having. The end credits should have been one track (though I still don't know whether part 2 is a new cue or just the Macusa cue slowed down). Can't wait for the sequel!

Laurent Perez Del Mar - Carole Matthieu 

First score of his I didn't immediately fall in love with, but it still had some nice moments!

Malcolm Robinson - Chrono Trigger Orchestral Selections Vol. 1

Love this album and listen to it frequently, every single track is a really well done orchestral recording of CT music.  I wonder if he'll ever do a Vol. 2....

and lots of Jurassic Park and The Lost World, natch.

Oh yea, my Friday playlist at work was

Alan Silvestri - A Christmas Carol

First time ever hearing this.  Sounded like a lot of fun variations of familiar music; Want to check it out again in better conditions

John Williams - Home Alone

The OST, but I skipped over the non-Williams songs.  Classic stuff here, though and through.

Jerry Goldsmith - Gremlins

Doesn't overstay its welcome in complete form, this is a fun blend of rag, christmas, Jerry synth weirdess, and horror/suspense.  Really cool score.

And while driving Sunday I listened to

James Horner - Living In The Age of Airplanes

I still love this.

CAPRICORN ONE the "OST". This is a perfectly balanced piece of work, containing all major cues, and played brilliantly, by the National Philharmonic. This is one case where I prefer the rerecording, to the original score.

Still the best "action" score ever written.

Currently I only have the film recording, via the 2015 Intrada CD.

I suppose I should buy the Perseverance issue of the album recording at some point...

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith expanded score

Return of the Jedi OST

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier complete score

Star Trek: First Contact complete score

Batman (1989) complete score and songs by Prince

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure

9 hours ago, Jay said:

Currently I only have the film recording, via the 2015 Intrada CD.

I suppose I should buy the Perseverance issue of the album recording at some point...

That's what I thought but then I couldn't brining myself to actually give money to such a company.

Dick Tracy (2-CD)

It seems my pursuit for complete versions of 90s pulp scores like this, Rocketeer, The Shadow, Cutthroat Island and The Phantom has reached its end. Although an official release of DuckTales: The Movie wouldn't be a big ask, would it?

9 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

That's what I thought but then I couldn't brining myself to actually give money to such a company.

That's basically why I didn't buy it from them yet either.  I wish Intrada had waited for Perseverance's license to expire and packed the lp program in with their re-issue of the film tracks.

Luckily Perseverance's license for Witches of Eastwick ended - hopefully one of the other labels picked it up and will release a complete version for the film's 30th anniversary next year!

35 minutes ago, Richard said:

All this talk of waiting for rights to expire got me thinking: how much does it cost a company like La La Land, for instance to acquire the rights to scores like JP, and TLW, or is it more complex than that?

I don't know what the costs are.

But it is more or less that simple.  They pay the film studio for a license to release previously unreleased music from their vaults, they pay the record label for a license to release a new version of the soundtrack.  They also have to pay for the actual digital transfer of analog elements, everyone who works on it, including the liner notes writer and art designer, not to mention additional licensing if there is some existing music not part of the score that should be included on a new soundtrack.  And after all that, they only get to sell physical CDs; The record labels and film studios retain the rights to release the music in download/streaming formats.

I just listened to 3 podcasts last week where they had on Neil S. Bulk as a guest, and he specifically mentioned that no one gets into the soundtrack restoration business to get rich.

MV & MV from LLL have often mentioned that they don't make a lot of money running LLL and do it entirely out of passion for the music

The Holiday by Zimmer, Balfe, Jackman, etc etc.

I adore a good romantic comedy score. The film has to basically be a drama though, more than a comedy, and then if you get a great composer on board, then you've got a touching, heartbreaking score that just sings.

The Holiday and Armstrong's Love Actually, two romantic dramas essentially, with comedy, are two of my all-time favourite scores from any film. Hell I even love Mansell's Definitely Maybe score, because it fits the same romantic drama category, that has comedy.

I must have seen them a hundred times (I'm seriously not kidding) and never tire of them. They have beautiful melodies absolutely all over the films, especially The Holiday and Love Actually, and really pull at my heartstrings perfectly. 

If someone pressed me for a favourite Zimmer score, I would probably say the Holiday.

p_mbr035.jpg

Fitzwilly – Special Archival Edition [Original MGM Motion Picture Soundtrack] 

Great to hear the stereo original album in such quality! A great addition to my collection.  About the film mono recording (with it's almost inaudible dialogues in the background) well it's a curiosity, but Music Box Records did well to fill the CD with it.  After all, for "archival" purpose, it's not bad to have access to such an "isolated score" even if it's in mono like this. 

Great job Music Box!

Selection of tracks from the original Star Wars trilogy* plus Geoff Love's rendition of Princess Leia's Theme.

*Episode IV- Hologram/Binary Sunset, Burning Homestead, Ben Kenobi's Death/TIE Fighter Attack, Battle of Yavin, Throne Room

Episode V- Aboard the Executor, Battle of Hoth/Battle in the Snow, Asteroid Field, Carbon Freeze, Clash of Lightsabers, Rescue from Cloud City, End Titles

Episode VI- Main Title, Pit of Carkoon, The Emperor Arrives, Luke & Leia, Battle of Endor II, Battle of Endor III, Leia's News/Light of the Force

Apollo 13 complete score

Casper OST
The Rocketeer complete score

Titanic (stereo downmix of the SACD with some tracks from Back to Titanic)

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan complete score

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock complete score

Most of my favorite scores from a dearly missed James Horner.

Come back! Come back! Come back! Come back!

The Rocketeer

I finally got the chance to the complete release. The album was good, but the full thing brings more of the same goodness, which is great, with some fun pieces added to the first act that help the score build up towards the first big action piece. The Rocketeer is a gorgeous, stunning score with a theme that just soars the way only themes by great movie composers do. I love it to bits.

Thank you, James.

And as The Rocketeer finished, I realised I hadn't completed another Horner album yet, so I'm now listening to the final tracks of...

Living in the Age of Airplanes

...and it's still fucking gorgeous. It's like James Horner doing George Fenton. I love it.

Horner had a bit of a slog in the early 2000's when his material just wasn't as strong as it used to be and it all sort of sounded the same. But listen to this and Wolf Totem and tell me this isn't music by a man completely in control of his craft, writing music from the heart.

It's been a year and a half since his passing and he's still missed. A loss for film and film music indeed.

I actually think The Rocketeer is better on the album, but I enjoy the complete score. But Horner nailed it with the OST.

I will also say this. I have an issue with the way the end of "Rendezvous at the Observatory" sounds in the complete score presentation vs. the OST. The fanfare when he runs up the stairs is almost inaudible.

8 hours ago, Rose Dawson said:

Casper

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

Batman (1989)

Star Trek: First Contact

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Titanic

The Rocketeer

The Bat is back, and this time, he's bringing a shitload of brilliant scores.

Go, Rose!

The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn by John Williams:

The John Williams Jurassic Park Collection

All the King's Men by James Horner

Air Force One by Jerry Goldsmith