What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn by John Williams: The OST album, which is a really terrific listening experience. To my ears Williams really got a kick out of doing his first animated film and while the main theme is perhaps more of a short motto ol' Johnny makes it up with a huge array of other ideas and really fun sprightly setpieces. Just plain playful fun.

And now I have that jazzy and kooky main title music stuck in my head.

3 hours ago, Incanus said:

The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn by John Williams: The OST album, which is a really terrific listening experience. To my ears Williams really got a kick from doing his first animated film and while the main theme is perhaps more of a short motto ol' Johnny makes it up with a huge array of other ideas and really fun sprightly setpieces. Just plain playful fun.

And now I have that jazzy and kooky main title music stuck in my head.

His best score from 2011!

The Remains of the Day by Richard Robbins

The Count of Monte Cristo by Edward Shearmur

The Golden Compass by Alexandre Desplat

4 hours ago, KK said:

The Remains of the Day by Richard Robbins

God I love his Merchant Ivory scores.  Remains is great, but I think Howards End is probably his best.

It's a great score. Basically setting the path for Desplat a good decade before his time, though with more personality, I may even argue. Shame about the mix though. Would have been nice to have the sax parts more pronounced, and could have done without the hazardous volume jumps.

16 minutes ago, KK said:

Basically setting the path for Desplat a good decade before his time, though with more personality, I may even argue.

Speaking of, the last score I listened to is Desplat's Philomena soundtrack, a favorite Desplat release of mine.  I love how he went with a circus/carnival-type melody for developing the main theme.  It's a nice reference to the location where Philomena's "transgression" occurred and really fits the emotional straightforwardness of the character.  Very enjoyable melodies throughout.

9 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

His best score from 2011!

Probably.  War Horse hasn't "aged" as well for me.  Once the emotional bombast wears off, it just feels like a collection of mostly incomplete themes.  It's also a really exhausting listen (thanks to the length and aforementioned emotional bombast) 

p_qr185.jpg

The Long Goodbye [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1973) (2012, Quartet Records, SCE046)

The jazz parts of this score are so good, that listening to the "whole" score for the first time was a little bit deceiving for me. I even stopped the album before the end.... and I created a playlist to reproduce the 2004 Varese Sarabande CD program instead. Of course, I will give it another try... But I must admit, that even if it was "short", the 2004 CD program is hard to beat! The liner notes of the 2012 release mention that due to the repetitions of the theme and the different sources taken to make this release, they didn't put the tracks in chronological order.  The goal was to offer a better listening experience, they wrote.  Well, for me, it didn't make it. Maybe I have to put all this in chronological order and give it another try...

Does someone here did a chronological list of the cues?

EDIT : It's here -->

I think I was misunderstanding what you were trying to say.

" The HOWARD'S END score just takes it from TROTD. "

That to me implied you were saying that the Howards End score was just copying (for lack of a better word) the Remains of the Day score.

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Return of the Jedi (Anthology)

Star Wars: The Force Awakens OST

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

Jurassic Park

Batman (1989) (OST)

War Horse by John Williams: Such a lovely score through anf through and Homecoming is one of  Williams' most fluid, joyous and organically evolving end title suites where he weaves nearly all the themes of the score into a musical miniature in such an effortless way.

The Ghost and the Darkness (Intrada) by Jerry Goldsmith: One of the highlights of Goldsmith's 1990's output with perfect blending of orchestral, ethnic African vocals, percussion and synthesizer elements. It's exotic, grippingly primal and sweepingly romantic all at the same time and as I have said before its epic quality is only enhanced by the Intrada release.

3 hours ago, Rose Dawson said:

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Return of the Jedi (Anthology)

Star Wars: The Force Awakens OST

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

Jurassic Park

Batman (1989) (OST)

Because you included BATMAN..."I'm not gonna kill you".

5 hours ago, Incanus said:

War Horse by John Williams: Such a lovely score through anf through and Homecoming is one of  Williams' most fluid, joyous and organically evolving end title suites where he weaves nearly all the themes of the score into a musical miniature in such an effortless way.

His worst score from 2011!

The Handmaiden - Jo Yeong-wook

It's a more classical score than you'd expect. One could temp it in an English historical drama and it wouldn't feel out of place, and it captures a vivid mood of romance, betrayal, and intrigue. There's a bit of Zimmer, Williams, and Desplat running throughout, and Jo utilizes the influences to satisfying effect. "You Must Be a Natural" and "My Tamako, My Sookee" are some of the dramatic highlights here.

An underrated gem from last year. 

On 1/3/2017 at 0:31 PM, Not Mr. Big said:

Probably.  War Horse hasn't "aged" as well for me.  Once the emotional bombast wears off, it just feels like a collection of mostly incomplete themes.  It's also a really exhausting listen (thanks to the length and aforementioned emotional bombast) 

Granted, I probably haven't given it as many complete listens as you have, and I'm not comparing it to Tintin here, but I adore it. It has so many moments of pure Williams awesomeness. I completely agree with Spielberg when he said in the liner notes that "the Earth was speaking through John with this score." 

For instance, this moment:

I can't say enough about how great this is. There's been a little period of calm after the massive initial Dartmoor theme statement, now there is anticipation in the winds ... and then, at 2:51, the build-up begins. At 2:57, brass plays a frenetic and incredibly exciting line as whimsical wind lines come in over top and lower strings answer with a figure of building excitement. That figure becomes more and more prominent in the next few bars. At 3:07, Williams pauses the movement for just a moment. Then the string figure comes back in earnest with bells or some other shimmery sound -- this is really my favorite moment of this part. It sounds almost like a horse or some other animal is trying to break free from its cage to run free. Then finally we build to the actual running with the glorious theme statement. But it is short, ending with a gorgeous slow piano (?) glissando (?) (apologies if I'm using some terms wrong), which could almost symbolize how the joy in War Horse never lasts too long, always interrupted by financial realities or war. 

I know the terrific "Plowing" has been widely acclaimed but I think the above moment is just as good. Williams can build excitement so well with an incredibly emotional undertone - other examples are "Farewell and the Trip" (beginning and end) and "Dream Country" (end). 

And of course the action music in this score, among other things - :wub:

12 minutes ago, Matt C said:

The Handmaiden - Jo Yeong-wook

It's a more classical score than you'd expect. One could temp it in an English historical drama and it wouldn't feel out of place, and it captures a vivid mood of romance, betrayal, and intrigue. There's a bit of Zimmer, Williams, and Desplat running throughout, and Jo utilizes the influences to satisfying effect. "You Must Be a Natural" and "My Tamako, My Sookee" are some of the dramatic highlights here.

An underrated gem from last year. 

"My Tamako, My Sookee" is possibly my favorite film cue from the last year.  It's really a fabulous piece of music, and stunning to hear in context.

Hook by John Williams: Ah the fairytale swashbuckle bombast of this score. So colorful, hyperactive and so sweet it might rot your teeth but full of that Hollywoodian Williams magic that tickle's your nostalgia bone and impresses with the constant flurry of busy thematic interaction of the numerous leitmotifs and heart-on-your-sleeve dramatics that underline the sanctity of imagination of youth and family and make Robin Williams soar as he finds his happy thought and Dustin Hoffman's James T. Hook almost burst with pompous villainy. Remembering Childhood, The Ultimate War and Farewell to Neverland is a classic trifecta of lengthy sequences scored to perfection by Williams, meaning they are wall-to-wall scored thematic goodness.

It is a cornucopia of melodic ideas, styles and moods, a splash of vivid colours and nods to the greats of Hollywood's yesteryear (Korngold in particular), a fairystory ballet where Neverland and the Seahawk meet. One of my personal favourites to be sure, the one score that appeals the most to my inner child.

I generally prefer the earlier highlights of the score over the Ultimate War segment. They feel more sustained and developed. I do appreciate how Williams brings together most thematic material in the final battle but it's just so chaotic and overenthusiastic that I find it bit tiring. As you probably know, I'm not a big Hook fan. But I do admit the sheer number of memorable themes (each one of them could be the main one) is just astonishing feat in itself. Hopefully we'll get a proper Matessino album soon enough.

Karol

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story by Michael Giacchino. By no means great music. But still among the most enjoyable scores of 2016 and one of the strongest Giacchino's scores. It's main fault is Jyn's theme which feels a bit too basic for this franchise. However, Gia applies it skillfully enough for that not to matter too much. I'm glad that he's back to the Medal of Honor territory which feels strangely appropriate for this film (it being a war film). I feel that he betters that sound with this score and it feels more rewarding. He does also honour Star Wars sound and creates just about the only score in this world not written by John Williams that actually sounds like it belongs. Again, not necessarily the best music written for a Star Wars project but it at least feels like it (unlike Joel McNeely's music, as great as it is). All of this is, of course, fan service. But then, Giacchino is great for this sort of stuff. While he proved himself in the film medium already, it is also really funny that among my favourite features scores of his are two that follow directly in John Williams' footsteps. Some of the moments are not that great but the third act itself is really entertaining - some of the best action material of his career.. Not the great work of art but a lot of fun all the same. Which is what Star Wars is all about anyway.

And, unlike most people, I don't believe he would have written better music with more time. Maybe Jyn's theme would have been more interesting, who knows. But overall I'd say it's better than most of his scores written in normal time. Plus, he wrote each episode of Lost, still his finest work, in just couple of days.

Karol

I'm just at home with the kids and they're watching some Jurassic World Lego show on Netflix, and immediately I noticed the healthy use of fully orchestrated original JW themes, and actually some really decent incidental action writing. Who's the composer? It's good stuff! 

10 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I'm just at home with the kids and they're watching some Jurassic World Lego show on Netflix, and immediately I noticed the healthy use of fully orchestrated original JW themes, and actually some really decent incidental action writing. Who's the composer? It's good stuff! 

This show?

http://jurassicoutpost.com/first-episode-lego-jurassic-world-indominus-escape/

5 minutes ago, publicist said:

Rob Westwood.

That's from the Lego Jurassic World video game, NOT the Lego Jurassic World: Indominus Escape TV series.

It seems the TV series is scored by David & Eric Wurst

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6101862/combined