What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Ollie

Also listen to Serenada Schizophrana. His best work for the last decade I reckon.

But not so different from Alice. Which is why I liked that score more than I expected; I'm not generally an Elfman fan.

There is a lot of hit and miss in his career, I agree. But he at least tries to expand and try some different approaches. That's more than you can say about most of Hollywood's merry bunch.

Karol

I don't hear him trying to do anything different. He's got a more sentimental side, and then his wacky Burton side. He says he never listens to his music after it's done recording, that could be his problem. He thinks he's doing something new when it's just the same old tune.

I'd say Terminator Salvation is miles apart from Milk, and miles apart from Wanted, which is miles apart from Standard Operating Procedure. And neither one of them sounds like something from Tim Burton's movie. They are written by the same guy, sure. But I can tell the difference. Can't you?

Karol

And then you have something like The Next Three Days (which you didn't like, from what I can remember). It is more of a Thomas Newman/Mark Isham/John Powell (the big action cue) thing. But you can clearly hear the post-Serenada Elfman in there. It is something else entirely.

Karol - who is listening to this as he types this

Elfman has been making the exact same music for the last 25 years. I can't listen to it anymore. I'm so glad he wasn't involved in Ed Wood or Sweeney Todd.

I used to think that too, but there are quite a few differences, some nuanced and some quite obvious, between most of his works for Burton, let alone his non-Burton work and non-film work. Not to say he's as varied as John Williams, but to say all his work in the last 25 years is the same is an ignorant statement.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Well, I got this on Netflix. My first viewing of the film. Theatrical cut. And the disc became unreadable during the

tonal communication scene

near the end. I had checked the disc before hand, wiped it gently...but still...so I'm pretty freakin' livid right now. I did like what I saw, but it's kind of a double whammy, because I also knew way too much about the film beforehand, so a lot of the mystery that should've been there for my first viewing wasn't. I did request a replacement copy, so we'll see how that goes, but...not cool.

The Fountain

One of my favorite films of the past decade. The special effects are brilliant. Clint Mansell's score is brilliant. Jackman and Weisz are fantastic, too.

Oh, oh god no. This is one of the worst films of the last decade, in my opinion. I don't dislike it the way someone might dislike The Social Network or Tree of Life, for example, because they don't connect to its artistic ambitions. Rather, I think the film's intentions are scrambled and Aronofsky's vision is severely unfocused.

I love Aronofsky, and I appreciate how personal this project must have been to him, but it feels like one misstep after the next. The visual style of the film is just ugly. It reminds me of vomit.

That being said, Mansell's score is one of the best of the last decade. "Death is the Road to Awe" is one of the strongest pieces of film scoring I can think of. Yet, no matter how much I love that track, it can't help feel unremarkable in this underwhelming film.

As fuck-ups go, that one is what they call monumental.

Not really. It's not like there is a M. Night Shyamalan's twist in there. ;)

Karol

The Fountain

One of my favorite films of the past decade. The special effects are brilliant. Clint Mansell's score is brilliant. Jackman and Weisz are fantastic, too.

Oh, oh god no. This is one of the worst films of the last decade, in my opinion. I don't dislike it the way someone might dislike The Social Network or Tree of Life, for example, because they don't connect to its artistic ambitions. Rather, I think the film's intentions are scrambled and Aronofsky's vision is severely unfocused.

I love Aronofsky, and I appreciate how personal this project must have been to him, but it feels like one misstep after the next. The visual style of the film is just ugly. It reminds me of vomit.

That being said, Mansell's score is one of the best of the last decade. "Death is the Road to Awe" is one of the strongest pieces of film scoring I can think of. Yet, no matter how much I love that track, it can't help feel unremarkable in this underwhelming film.

Could you elaborate more? Was it how the three stories entwined? I loved the visual style. I remember the first time I saw it, was in complete awe. This time I was wondering how the hell they got Jackman's clothes to wave like that, and watched the special features afterwards. They filmed all of those scenes as he's floating underwater! All the space shots were pretty much miniatures interposed with Jackman in front of them.

I'm with ya on "Death Is The Road To Awe"

Elfman has been making the exact same music for the last 25 years. I can't listen to it anymore. I'm so glad he wasn't involved in Ed Wood or Sweeney Todd.

I used to think that too, but there are quite a few differences, some nuanced and some quite obvious, between most of his works for Burton, let alone his non-Burton work and non-film work ... to say all his work in the last 25 years is the same is an ignorant statement.

Well, if you believe all his works for Burton are so very, very different, then it appears that you have turned from ignorant to most certainly deaf. If I were to put Alice In Wonderland to the score of Batman Returns, nobody would complain. Not the same notes but it is the same music.

Alex

Batman Begins.

Apparently Nolan told his DP that he wanted the film to look like Blade Runner, which it doesn't.

Good film though. Great cast (I for once thought Katie Holmes was fine)

Biggest problem is the fight scenes. Action is not Nolan's forte, and fast cutting and close up action of people dressed mostly in black against a mostly black background fighting each other needs a director who knows how to shoot and edit a fight.

The music is there. It does it's job.

I think Nolan wanted the audience to experience what the opponents of Batman experiences during a fight, meaning: They don't see it coming. He's quick as a bat! A good theory but the result is that there is not much for us to see. I don't think he repeats the same trick for TDK. The camera in TDK is no longer so close "in the action". I guess Nolan listened to the complaints. Nolan knows what the audience wants and he gives it to them. He's a pleaser.

Alex

I think Nolan wanted the audience to experience what the opponents of Batman experiences during a fight, meaning: They don't see it coming. He's quick as a bat! A good theory but the result is that there is not much for us to see. I don't think he repeats the same trick for TDK. The camera in TDK is no longer so close "in the action". I guess Nolan listened to the complaints. Nolan knows what the audience wants and he gives it to them. He's a pleaser.

Alex

Nolan clearly doesn't understand how to film action. He's learning but he's not there yet.

Great cast (I for once thought Katie Holmes was fine)

I agree.

The music is there. It does it's job.

Barely. I say TDK's score works rather well. BB's is - there. And it's constant fading in and out confuses me.

Syriana

A different type of film that covers familiar territory. Gaghan's screenplay is the star, and for a slow burn movie like this one, it moves at a great pace. Desplat's score was pretty good too.

that's because Zimmer has very limited talent.

Transformers 3D is a technical marvel, it's a nightmare of a story, but there were some good laughs and a few WoH, how'd they do that moment, not nearly as bad as Merkel says, but not a terrible movie like Revenge of the Fallen.

Barely. I say TDK's score works rather well. BB's is - there. And it's constant fading in and out confuses me.

To be honest, I can barely tell them apart.

It's not that they differ so much, but the films do. It suits Heat-like TDK better. It is completely hopeless in BB.

Karol

Transformers 3D is a technical marvel, it's a nightmare of a story, but there were some good laughs and a few WoH, how'd they do that moment, not nearly as bad as Merkel says, but not a terrible movie like Revenge of the Fallen.

So you strongly disagree with the review below then I take it?

Here's a very nice review of Transformers 3. It also covers Bay's basic style of film making.

X-Men : First Class

I enjoyed it. A lot. Yet, it still has lots of flaws. OK, I'm gonna put it all between spoiler tags.

Let's start with the beginning. I didn't like at all that they decided to simply do a cut/paste job for the very first scene in the Nazi camp from the first film. They could have at least rescored the scene, but NOOOOO, they decided to keep Kamen's score, so that the scene feels even more out of place. And I think they even did some weird edit job at the end, by adding a small insert by Jackman (I suppose). Then we cut to Xavier's manor where he encounters Raven, but we don't know even know how she ended up here (nor how Xavier ended up being alone in this manor, for that matter). Another issue I had is one I have with every Vaughn film I've seen, and that's the pace. Indeed, in each of his film, particularly at the beginning, there are a lot of pace issues, the story takes a lot of time to "settle in", establish the different characters, etc... In the first 20 minutes of the film, you kept switching locations every 2 seconds. That was distracting. To finish on the "bad side", it felt like this film was more "X-Men Origins: Magneto" (a project that has been abandoned, if I understand correctly) than "X-Men: First Class". It was more about Magneto than the creation of Xavier's school for gifted mutants. By the way, Xavier's character felt really underdeveloped. Like I previously said, you don't even know what happened to his parents, you don't know how he ended up being alone in the manor, and he also isn't present for most of the film. And it felt like there was a Xavier/McTaggart storyline that was cut from the film (it's particularly evident toward the end of the film). I hope there'll be deleted scenes in the Blu-Ray that will help develop that relation.

On the good side, the cast is overall great. Fassbender in particular is top notch as Erik Lehnsherr. It is also the very first X-Men film where I thought the mutants really had the "cool factor". In the previous films, I never really got that feeling, but here, most of them had their "kick-ass moment". Mystique, Shaw, Havok, Magneto, Darwin, Azazel (yeah, especially this one. Didn't know it was Jason Flemyng behind all this make-up!). The action scenes were OK, too. Setting the story in the 60s offered a breath of fresh air, and it give the film a certain style which I quite enjoyed.

Concerning the music, I couldn't stop thinking during the film: "Yeah, it works pretty well within the film, but I'm sure I wouldn't like it outside of the film". It's all about that nowadays: effectiveness. There is one moment where it just felt wrong, though. When Xavier says : "I can't feel my legs", the music turns into something bombastic who just feels totally out of place. I was like "WTF??". Concerning the themes, well, I like the main one, and Mystique theme as well (even if a little bit unoriginal). Magneto's theme is probably the most memorable, but I don't really like it. Didn't notice any other major theme. How disappointing the score is, though, when you compare to Jackman's work on Kick-ass !

So, all in all, quite a good film (even though, now that I finished writing my "review", I notice there is more on the "bad side", than the "good side". Bah! All that matters is the overall impression you get in the end. :P

Looking forward to the sequel !

Well, you're essentially right. The abandoned concept of Magneto movie was deliberately incorporated into this one. They even said so, I think.

Karol

It must just be me but I have trouble seriously reviewing a flick like X-Men First Class whilst keeping a straight face. Plot holes and backstorys are neither here nor there to me with movies like this.

As popcorn blockbusters go, it was a decent enough time at the pictures.

It must just be me but I have trouble seriously reviewing a flick like X-Men First Class whilst keeping a straight face. Plot holes and backstorys are neither here nor there to me.

I take it as a reboot, so the inconstencies there is between this film and the previous ones are no problem to me. Although there is one BIG plothole in this film:

How did Mystique know how Shaw looked like (or that he had a helmet on his head) when she took his appearance ? She never saw the damn guy! AHAH !

It must just be me but I have trouble seriously reviewing a flick like X-Men First Class whilst keeping a straight face. Plot holes and backstorys are neither here nor there to me.

I take it as a reboot, so the inconstencies there is between this film and the previous ones are no problem to me. Although there is one BIG plothole in this film:

How did Mystique know how Shaw looked like (or that he had a helmet on his head) when she took his appearance ? She never saw the damn guy! AHAH !

She did. When he

attacked the CIA headquarters.

Karol

How can you reboot something if you start with footage from the first film.

You should be grateful they used Michael Kamen's music. ;)

Karol

Primer (2004): 72 minutes of technical mumbo jumbo. Are you kidding me? **/*****

l_44213_0390384_3d3fb9a9.jpg

The Last Station: A few good performances but the movie itself is not very good.**/*****

The-Last-Station-Movie-Poster.jpg

Yes, it's that guy from Wanted and the new X-Men movie.

Alex

So you strongly disagree with the review below then I take it?

Here's a very nice review of Transformers 3. It also covers Bay's basic style of film making.

I never watched implanted videos, sorry, I have no Ideal what it's saying.

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)

One of my favorite Technicolor movies. Even the 2003 DVD release just shows how colorful and vibrant the print is, and I just have a blast watching it. Errol Flynn is definitely one of the finer matinee idols from his generation, shame he wasted it away with partying and drinking. Just a magnetic and charismatic presence.

... now I have to watch his other films.

The Last Temptation Of Christ: bowdown

The film starts by stating it's fictional and not based upon the gospels but to me it rings more true than any other Jesus movie out there. Peter Gabriel's score is outstanding and so are all the performances (even the child in the last part of the movie).

Alex

Not sure how people can think that Jesus' suffering in this film is not based on The Gospels, but I'll let it ride...

Yes, it's a great film, with a very "human" Jesus. It's so much better than the self-flagellating gore fest that is "The Passion Of The Christ". BTW Peter Gabriel's score is possibly the best thing he's ever done (with the possible exception of "San Jacinto").

War of the Worlds (2005, Steven Spielberg)

No one would have believed in the early

years of the 21st century, that our world

was being watched by intelligences greater

than our own. That as men busied themselves

about their various concerns, they observed

and studied. Like the way a man with

a microscope might scrutinize the creatures

that swarm and multiply in a drop of

water. With infinite complacency men

went to and fro about the globe, confident

of our empire over this world. Yet,

across the gulf of space, intellects,

vast and cool and unsympathetic regarded

our planet with envious eyes. And slowly

and surely, drew their plans against

us.

A great film about our world being taken over by aliens, who millions of years ago buried big machines under the ground. Tom Cruise does a great job in this film as Ray Ferrier, as well as Dakota Fanning (Rachel) and Justin Chatwin (Robbie).The film ends (and begins) with a narration by Morgan Freeman:

From the moment the invaders arrived,

breathed our air, ate and drank, they

were doomed. They were undone, destroyed,

after all of man's weapons and devices

had failed, by the tiniest creatures

that God and his wisdom, put upon this

earth. At the toll of a billion deaths,

man had earned his immunity, is right

to survive among this planet's infinite

organisms. And that right is ours against

all challenges, for men do not live

nor die in vein.

Screw Morgan Freeman! Bring on Richard Burton!!!!!

It's a good movie, though I'm still not sure why Tom Cruise was cast and a crane driver.

It's not a good movie. It's a movie with two or three BRILLIANT scenes, but Terry Gilliam was totally right about it.

There's a lot to admire in "WOTW": the relationship between father and daughter, Justin Chatwin's performance (he's brilliant as Steve, btw); the gob-smacking "escape from the city" sequence, with the funniest line in the film "No, Robbie, not like Europe!". It just seems the the whole is far less than the sum of the parts, which is a shame. Perhaps a couple more months of editing would have provided a modern classic, rather than a film that is just a post 9-11 pastiche.