Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

John Crichton

I mean I don't really feel like revisiting them but my memory is that the orchestrations were typically gorgeous for Desplat, but I found both scores distinctly unmemorable.  He just didn't bring interesting ideas, melodically.  I definitely remember the Part 2 soundtrack straight up putting me to sleep once.

Exactly that happened with me and Goblet of Fire.

I'm still not sold on any of the non-Williams Potter scores.

Only exception is Fantastic Beasts, which is actually pretty fantastic compared to any of those others.

I've revisited Doyle's Goblet of Fire recently and found it to be quite nice.  The Hooper scores and the Desplat scores still don't do a lot for me, but they each have a handful of nice moments.

2 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Each non-Williams score has enough good stuff to hold my interest long enough. The one I struggle the most with is probably Doyle's, actually, because of its over-the-top bombasticity (bombasticness? bombastication?). Every single moment seems to be scored like it's the climax of the film (the Cutthroat Island syndrome!), which can be a bit exhausting to listen to after a while. And the action sequences lack a proper structure (too many "BIG BOMBASTIC MOMENT" pause "BIG BOMBASTIC MOMENT!" pause "BIG BOMBASTIC MOMENT!" pause, etc. to my liking), but there's definitely some neat material in there, there's no denying.

That definitely applies to "The Golden Egg" and not in a good way.

And that is coming from someone who really, REALLY likes Cutthroat Island!

I'm really curious how they'd release these scores. I thought it would be a Black Friday thing, what with all the Fantastic Beasts craze etc. Even then, would we get 1-3 in a box set, or would they keep us dangling for eight years? Or are we grasping at straws?

I would guess if WB grants a license to any of the specialty labels, the specialty label would release them one at a time on their own, no giant box sets or composer-combo sets.

Oh, I just assumed it was a craze because of the endless interviews/books/audiobooks/other needless stuff that this franchise is spawning. It was definitely a better film that some of Yates's HP films, I think, thought the hype is annoying me. I don't want to know where Tina is lving in 2017, for instance.

@Bloodboal Why 7 CDs? 6 would be fine.

Shit!

2 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Each non-Williams score has enough good stuff to hold my interest long enough. The one I struggle the most with is probably Doyle's, actually, because of its over-the-top bombasticity (bombasticness? bombastication?). Every single moment seems to be scored like it's the climax of the film (the Cutthroat Island syndrome!), which can be a bit exhausting to listen to after a while. And the action sequences lack a proper structure (too many "BIG BOMBASTIC MOMENT" pause "BIG BOMBASTIC MOMENT!" pause "BIG BOMBASTIC MOMENT!" pause, etc. to my liking), but there's definitely some neat material in there, there's no denying.

Bombast? ;)

This is the problem I have with the whole film. The constant "Wow magic is awesome!" stuff works for the first film, but in Goblet of Fire it gets pretty tiresome. Everything's in capital letters from the grand spectacle to the incidental scenes. The cool thing about the books was that most of the magic was pretty domestic and had a nice everyday logic to it so when the big otherworldly stuff came up, it was really impressive. But Mike Newell had an "anything goes" approach that got rather bizarre and silly at times....too much of it has some sort of over-the-top flourish to it, whether it's the Beauxbatons/Durmstrang entrances, or Dumbledore starting off the champion selection with that odd slow hand wave through the crowd, or Harry doing a mile-high backflip out of the lake. Even compared to the Columbus films, there's a difference between how Moody transforms Malfoy into the ferret with a flashy tornado effect and Doyle's busy strings/woodwinds and the simpler effects of McGonagall transforming from a cat into a human.

Cuaron hit the best balance for me where enough of the magic is treated with a sort of winking nonchalance that it balances out the wildly indulgent stuff. That's essentially how Yates has been tackling the films too, though they're generally not quite as charming or inventive.

You can perfectly fit the first score on two CDs. I did it myself. Just add Christmas at Hogwarts from the OST, remove the outtakes/inserts/extra take in Diagon Alley and Owl's Flight and that's all.

You can fit the score + suite on 2 CDs, but when you start factoring in the alternates and trailer music, you're up to 3.

And since Matessino does every Williams release now seemingly, he would never leave anything out.

Um... I swear I have 2 disks that are more than complete enough for me. My edit looks like this:

Disc 1:
01 The Boy Who Lived.mp3
02 The Vanishing Glass.mp3
03 The Letters From No One.mp3
04 No Post On Sundays.mp3
05 The Keeper Of The Keys.mp3
06 You're A Wizard, Harry.mp3
07 Diagon Alley.mp3
08 Ollivander.mp3
09 Hagrid Reflects.mp3
10 The Journey From Platform Nine-And-Three-Quarters.mp3
11 Chocolate Frogs.mp3
12 The Arrival At Hogwarts.mp3
13 The Great Hall.mp3
14 The Sorting Hat.mp3
15 The Banquet.mp3
16 Harry's New Home.mp3
17 Mail's Here!.mp3
18 Harry's First Flight.mp3
19 On The Run.mp3
20 It's Guarding Something.mp3
21 Quidditch Introduction.mp3
22 Wingardium Leviosa.mp3
23 Quirrell Bursts In.mp3
24 The Troll.mp3
25 The Broomstick.mp3
26 Quidditch.mp3
27 Who's Nicolas Flamel.mp3
28 Happy Christmas!.mp3
29 The Mirror Of Erised.mp3
30 Dumbledore's Advice.mp3
31 Nicolas Flamel.mp3
32 Norbert The Norwegian Ridgeback.mp3

DisC 2:
01 Detention.mp3
02 The Forbidden Forest.mp3
03 You Can't Be Touched.mp3
04 Through The Trapdoor.mp3
05 Fluffy's Harp.mp3
06 Devil's Snare.mp3
07 Flying Keys.mp3
08 Wizard Chess.mp3
09 The Man With Two Faces.mp3
10 Love, Harry.mp3
11 Another Year Gone.mp3
12 Hagrid's Present.mp3
13 The Leaky Cauldron.mp3
14 Cast A Christmas Spell.mp3
15 Christmas Music Box.mp3
16 Hagrid's Flute.mp3
17 The Boy Who Lived (Alternate Intro).mp3
18 Christmas At Hogwarts (Album).mp3
19 Dumbledore's Advice (Alternate Ending).mp3
20 Hedwig's Flight.mp3
21 Hogwarts Forever!.mp3
22 Voldemort.mp3
23 Nimbus 2000.mp3
24 Fluffy And His Harp.mp3
25 Quidditch.mp3
26 Family Portrait.mp3
27 Diagon Alley.mp3
28 Harry's Wondrous World.mp3
29 Coke Ad.mp3
30 Hedwig's Theme.mp3

Key words "for me" and "my edit".  Your personal preference.  Not a proper complete score release that a specialty label would release.

Why are you arguing about this?

On ‎4‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 3:51 AM, bollemanneke said:

I just thougt that there wasn't enough material to fill 3 discs.

On ‎4‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 3:53 AM, Stefancos said:

With the Childrens Suite Included there is more than enough.

As certain edited editions out there are easily presented in a three-disc format, it seems like it would be easy for the official release to do the same.

Although, I wonder if a complete release for just JW's three would mean that there would be six discs with the complete scores, and then a seventh for alternates and the Children's Suite? Or if any of the labels decide to release each score separately...

52 minutes ago, Alex said:

What is the likelihood of a complete score for any of the HP films actually being released (officially)?

It's entirely dependant  on whether the Executive at Warner Brothers in charge of their music licensing division agrees to license it out to a specialty label or not.  If he is, we'll be all set - Matessino will be hired to do the job, and the release will be great.  If the exec is just not interested, we'll never see one until a new person takes over the division, if then.

I also have no idea if JK Rowling would have to approve of such releases as well;  It's not unheard of.  LLL's Dances With Wolves and Wyatt Earp sat in limbo for months (years?) after being finished until freaking Kevin Costner signed off on them.

I know it's a different studio, but the Jurassic Park/Lost World collection gives me hope.  First instance of Williams scores for a still-active mega movie franchise being licensed to a specialty label.  An invisible barrier was crossed.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's entirely dependant  on whether the Executive at Warner Brothers in charge of their music licensing division agrees to license it out to a specialty label or not.  If he is, we'll be all set - Matessino will be hired to do the job, and the release will be great.  If the exec is just not interested, we'll never see one until a new person takes over the division, if then.

I also have no idea if JK Rowling would have to approve of such releases as well;  It's not unheard of.  LLL's Dances With Wolves and Wyatt Earp sat in limbo for months (years?) after being finished until freaking Kevin Costner signed off on them.

I think I read that Rowling has the final say on all merch released.