The best film music box set?

For my money:

antho.jpg

They don't come much better than this. Nowadays, you can certainly acquire a lengthier and a more chronologically organized edition. But none as classy and downright charming.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'll be the first to mention the Superman Blue Box as the ultimate template for how a box set (or any complete release for that matter) ought to be arranged and presented. It's just so magnificent and leaves you wanting nothing more.

But you brought up a great example with the Star Wars anthology. I must've been maybe a junior in college when it was released. It really was the first of its kind. At that point, no other Williams score had received an expansion. That first listen was just one "Oh My God" after another. Probably my most memorable soundtrack purchase ever.

I don't really listen to anything but the first Superman from the Superman set. I will say that while it is pretty damned exhaustive, there is one omission that annoys me, and that's The Flying Sequence/Can You Read My Mind (film version). You can edit it, but what the hell. So it's kind of a minor thing, but this is what we come to expect from releases nowadays. We want it all. It's part of the reason the Indiana Jones set was both a blessing and a curse. The Star Wars Anthology is an elegant set of a more civilized and innocent age. While it is missing music, GREAT music, it doesn't seem to matter much. Press play, Williams' 1980 Fox Fanfare segues into Star Wars. Listen all the way through to the end of Jedi when you hear the Fox Fanfare once more and realize, shit, a whole 'nother disc. :huh:

The Ron Jones: Star Trek The Next Generation project gets first place.

The Blue Box sets second place.

The Star Wars Trilogy Anthology gets third place.

Of course this is all my opinion.

If the Rozsa box had included a physical book instead of online notes that would take the cake for me. However I'll have to make it a 3 way tie between that, Spartacus, and The Blue Box.

Spartacus suffers from excess and there should be a less extensive and expensive edition available.

Mutiny on the Bounty is a great example of a expanded and thourough release, though I don't know wether to consider it a box set

Does this take price into consideration? If not, probably the Elfman boxset (although I can't say for sure until I get it). If so, then the LotR Complete Recordings.

I won't go for "quality" ,but the sets that contained the music I wanted the most at the time of release:

Star Wars Anthology

Indiana Jones Box Set

The Danny Elfman-Tim Burton 25th Anniversary Box Set

Box sets are usually pretty awesome and get things right. However, almost every time it's just a contained score or trilogy or franchise, etc. This set covers an entire collaboration, and that's fucking impressive. Imagine something like this for Spielberg and Williams, Morricone and Leone, Herrmann and Hitchcock, and countless other long-lasting relationships.

I hope there are many more to come.

How about the Alien Anthology Blu Ray set? Does that count? :fouetaa: Not only does it have 2 versions of the Alien and Aliens scores, but it also has the ACTUAL films and other stuff! And it's all in 5.1!

hehehe...

jk...

Well... actually... that does sound impressive. ;)

I think it's pretty hard to beat the Elfman box in terms of sheer lavishness. It even makes things like SPARTACUS or the SUPERMAN box release pale to a certain extent.

That said, my own personal favourite is the same as yours, ETandElliot, the STAR WARS anthology box. Perfectly expanded from the previous versions (not too much) and a great booklet (although the glue that bound the pages together was really bad...I think the pages started to fall apart after only a few weeks).

Also honorable mention to the glorious 6CD Delerue box/book thingie from Ecoutez le Cinema.

Nothing gave me spine-tingles and genuine excitement like when I bought the SW Anthology. Maybe it wasn't the definitive presentation of these scores, but back then (1994, guys! Expanded or complete scores almost didn't exist!) it was a true JWfan nirvana moment.

I think the Indy box was my favourite. Great scores, nicely expanded, okay a few issues, but no more than the anthology. But mainly for the expanded TOD.

If they did a box of the original RCA SEs, that would be a clear winner.

I've only ever bought two boxes - Indy and the CRs (I consider them a unit as they were all made in the same way by the same team).

The CRs win - the dedication to quality is unsurpassed. The Indy box is good too, but some deciding factors include the missing music, a few editing choices and an overall feeling that it was a bit rushed. Lucas was an idiot for not allowing Intrada or FSM to do them properly.

Hmmm tough call on this one. Personally this is how I would rank them.

Superman Blue Box

Lord Of The Rings Trilogy Complete Recordings

Ron Jones Star Trek TNG set

Star Wars Trilogy Anthology

Star Wars Trilogy Special Editions

Indiana Jones set from Concord.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what the best is, but this one is by far the crown jewel of my collection. Unfortunately (that's not really the right word here) some of what used to be only available in this set has since been released dimming its specialness a bit, but it's still the most prized possession in my collection. A lot of it has to do with the emotional tie I have to it after hearing Jerry's surprise and heartfelt gratitude towards his fans upon hearing that a box that expensive sold out so quickly. This occurred as he lay on his couch suffering from the cancer that would soon take his life. Little did we know it was something of loving farewell tribute to a man whose music meant so much to so many of us.

Jerry+Goldsmith+At+20th+Century+Fox+Front.jpg

After that, SPARTACUS.