Jerry Goldsmith's Poltergeist

crocodile

I will never work out why people who already have a brilliant release like the Rhino edition still freak out and go mad over another release such as this one. MUST have it, huh?

Here's the basic reason why I'm considering this release:

1. Sound quality.

The Rhino release haspretty good, but somewhat archival sound quality. The new FSM release has been remastered from the original tapes, a first-generation source, so is likely to be a huge improvement.

2. Original Album Presentation.

For the first time (I think), the original LP presentation of the score is presented, recreating the listening experience of that album, something reputed to be excellent.

3. Alternate Cues.

There are some significant alternate versions of several cues included in the new release that provide some interesting what-ifs and/or alternate possibilities.

Given these 3 points, I still see a significant upgrade in the FSM release compared to the Sony/Rhino presentation, excellent though that release may be.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will never work out why people who already have a brilliant release like the Rhino edition still freak out and go mad over another release such as this one. MUST have it, huh?

Indeed, unless of course the FSM release was remastered in some way with better sound quality.

Just like with the Superman Blue Box set. I had the Rhino edition for the score Superman: The Movie but once FSM released the Blue Box I got that. Mostly because I wanted the remastered score for Superman: The Movie.

Edit: OneBuckFilms replied at the same time so since the FSM version has been properly mastered that would be one reason to replace the inferior Rhino version.

Anyone else notice on the "film score" CD that Rebirth is now part of a full 16 minute cue Let's Get Her/Rebirth? I like that it is still one track but not split up on the CD like the Rhino release. Makes transferring it to my MP3 player not as glaring. Also cool that it does have the album cut of Rebirth, in case I just wanna listen to it on it's own seamlessly.

Both the movie and score stink when it comes to Poltergeist II. Sorry, I'm unsure if this is considered like sacred Goldsmith, but I figure I should be safe since this isn't the FSM boards. The Poltergeist franchise begins and ends with the original movie.

The score to Poltergeist II is quite good. It's also very different than the first one, not counting Carol Ann's theme.

Goldsmith relies more on electronics for the sequel but does some good stuff with the hymn, God Is In His Holy Temple.

Er, yeah, actually. Not "must" have it: WILL have it.

yes

Poltergeist 2 my first huge Goldsmith disappointment. There's a few decent tracks though

Everything that was on the original vinyl release, in fact. "Reaching Out" is damned good.

Both the movie and score stink when it comes to Poltergeist II. Sorry, I'm unsure if this is considered like sacred Goldsmith, but I figure I should be safe since this isn't the FSM boards.

Because of the synths? It isn't top-drawer Goldsmith but all this dissing (on FSM, too) seems excessive. The score has several themes which get a good workout and some good (not great) set pieces. NOT WITHOUT MY DAUGHTER it ain't, but people sure are acting like it.

There's a high cheese factor for Poltergeist II, certainly. If you can't tolerate Jerry's electronics, stay away. BUT - there are some nice soaring melodies, especially for the Native American theme, which nicely hints at the Air Force One theme Goldsmith would later write. There's also some terrific brass statements in the final climactic cue (is it "Reaching Out"). It's extremely thematic throughout, and is unfortunately tied to a really disappointing film, which I think is clouding folks' opinion of the score.

Poltergeist II was one of my first CD purchases ever, waaay back in the late 80s, and certainly my first CD from Intrada. A little nostalgia for me.

Except for the theme, which is great, I find this score totally uninteresting and - in fact - grating at times. Which is why I sold my ol' Rhino CD about a year ago. But I wonder if the LP album on disc 2 would have made me appreciate the score more.

Both the movie and score stink when it comes to Poltergeist II. Sorry, I'm unsure if this is considered like sacred Goldsmith, but I figure I should be safe since this isn't the FSM boards.

Because of the synths? It isn't top-drawer Goldsmith but all this dissing (on FSM, too) seems excessive. The score has several themes which get a good workout and some good (not great) set pieces. NOT WITHOUT MY DAUGHTER it ain't, but people sure are acting like it.

(Y)

For those that are satisfied with the Rhino release, fine. But this ensures that people who missed the Rhino, enjoy the LP presentations and want improved sound will have chance to own this. they won;t have to worry about it going OOP in 2 weeks.

I've enjoyed the Rhino release, but it always sounded "muddy" to me in several areas. I will be purchasing the FSM version ASAP.

The thing is nobody will miss either one, really. As the Rhino was re-issued earlier this year and I could find it in several stores.

Karol - who's might buy FSM after all (but not yet)

is unfortunately tied to a really disappointing film, which I think is clouding folks' opinion of the score.

Whilst it pales in comparison to the original, I've always found Poltergeist 2 to be quite watchable and actually rather good.

The thing is nobody will miss either one, really. As the Rhino was re-issued earlier this year and I could find it in several stores.

Karol - who's might buy FSM after all (but not yet)

The re-issue was outside of the US though.

is unfortunately tied to a really disappointing film, which I think is clouding folks' opinion of the score.

Whilst it pales in comparison to the original, I've always found Poltergeist 2 to be quite watchable and actually rather good.

Which is why I never associate the music with the film.

This past summer, Rhino re-issued quite a few titles from their Turner/Rhino library in the UK. Although they were taken from the same sources used on the original releases, if I'm not mistaken.

Except for the theme, which is great, I find this score totally uninteresting and - in fact - grating at times. Which is why I sold my ol' Rhino CD about a year ago. But I wonder if the LP album on disc 2 would have made me appreciate the score more.

Leave it to Thor to find no enjoyment in Goldsmith's most Williams-like score.

If anything I'd say the main theme itself is the least interesting part of the score, great though it is.

+1 to that. There are some great themes in there. Between Poltergeist and Star Trek V, I'd say Jerry has an incredible knack when it comes to religious-sounding music.

If anything I'd say the main theme itself is the least interesting part of the score, great though it is.

+1 to that. There are some great themes in there. Between Poltergeist and Star Trek V, I'd say Jerry has an incredible knack when it comes to religious-sounding music.

I almost got on my knees and cried when Varese released the remastered Final Conflict, just to hear the Second Coming in clear sound was such a joy.

Same here. There's a lot of great stuff below the surface, like the jagged action motif in Twisted Abduction, the creepy and mysterious Cuesta Verde motif, and of course, the Light.

I totally have to get this! But with my tight funds right now... and since it is 10,000 units... I want to at least see what Intrada's final releases of the year are before I do it, since they are much more limited. But yeah this is a total buy for me.

+1

And he's always buying things he ends up not liking. Maybe he should try gauging the music in the movie or paying more attention to sound samples. The world is littered with stuff he says he found "uninteresting" and later sold.

There's about as much Williams in this as there are ice cubes in an open fire.

For the most part, it's just annoying horror stingers and sneaking-around music with nothing to hold on to. "Carol Anne's Theme" is lovely, but that's it.

For the most part, it's just annoying horror stingers and sneaking-around music with nothing to hold on to. "Carol Anne's Theme" is lovely, but that's it.

That is nonsense but you had a similar peculiar reaction to SECRT OF NIMH, so what do i know.. :cool:

Twisted Abduction is as good as film music gets. And wasn't that missing from the original album?

Twisted Abduction is as good as film music gets. And wasn't that missing from the original album?

No, just a bit shorter.

That is nonsense but you had a similar peculiar reaction to SECRT OF NIMH, so what do i know.. :cool:

One's nonsense is another's perfect sense, isn't that how it usually goes with this sort of thing?

But yeah, you're right about NIMH, another Goldsmith I dislike (and have since sold). Although in that case, it was more a matter of directionless mickey-mousing and perfunctory cues without charm or wit. Boring and/or grating, in other words. To me, Goldsmith is very hit/miss.

One's nonsense is another's perfect sense, isn't that how it usually goes with this sort of thing?

But yeah, you're right about NIMH, another Goldsmith I dislike (and have since sold). Although in that case, it was more a matter of directionless mickey-mousing and perfunctory cues without charm or wit. Boring and/or grating, in other words. To me, Goldsmith is very hit/miss.

This is all good and well, still seems more like your sour grapes with the GoldsmithFanCommunity®. It's like someone running around saying CLOSE ENCOUNTERS is a pile of shit that grates. Not your words but not too far off, either. These scores can be disliked subjectively, but not even to acknowledge their objective qualities is just small-minded.

Lol okay, if you say so.

I agree.

I agree.

The rebel fanfare isn't quoted verbatim, sure. But the whole grand musical design and the big gestures sure aren't typical of Goldsmith, it's similar to what Williams would have provided (in scope). He only used that in his Spielberg-related scores.

This is all good and well, still seems more like your sour grapes with the GoldsmithFanCommunity®. It's like someone running around saying CLOSE ENCOUNTERS is a pile of shit that grates. Not your words but not too far off, either. These scores can be disliked subjectively, but not even to acknowledge their objective qualities is just small-minded.

Objective qualities? This is ALL about subjective opinion. That said, the score (POLTERGEIST) works reasonably well in the film, no doubt about that. However, how it works as a soundtrack album is another matter altogether.

My beef with the GoldsmithFanCommunity®, as you call it, is for another thread.

Objective qualities? This is ALL about subjective opinion. That said, the score (POLTERGEIST) works reasonably well in the film, no doubt about that. However, how it works as a soundtrack album is another matter altogether.

It isn't a horror stinger score, that's objectively provable. To claim it is is no subjective opinion, just nonsense.

It isn't a horror stinger score, that's objectively provable. To claim it is is no subjective opinion, just nonsense.

There are plenty of stingers in it, actually, but for the most part it's just a boring, droney, suspense score that irritates on album. That is not debatable, as that is my OPINION. It may differ from yours, but it's still mine. The only nonsense here is trying to apply some sort of objective truth to what is basically a subjective evaluation based on whatever preference one has.