Jerry Goldsmith's Poltergeist

crocodile

I was going to phrase that as "You are a tough crowd", but I didn't like it.

Ah, gotcha. Well, I don't think I'm more of a "tough crowd" than you or anyone else. But we all have our likes and dislikes, of course.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah. I've been waiting for this reissue since FSM announced that they were rereissuing it. I missed out on the Rhino reissue. Plus my Poltergeist II TDE feels incomplete without it. Can't wait.

Plus out of the recent Goldsmith reissues we've been getting lately. This and ST:V were more necessary for one moreso than First Blood since Poltergeist and ST:V were both OOP. While FB is still in print by Varese if I'm not mistaken. But I'm happy for those that want it, b/c of the sound quality and bonus music.

Varese doesn't hold the rights to First Blood anymore so those albums floating around should be gone. I'm surprised they are still in circulation.

Wow, I will have my Poltergeist CD today. :o

:lol:

don't feel bad, I have a few other things, not film score related, that I was already expecting for Christmas, that are apparently on a tour of the entire United States.

Yes, if you are a huge enough Goldsmith fan to double dip and like the best sound possible.

To me it's worth it. Does it sound like a 2010 recording? No, but it is improved.

The Rhino was always muddy and muffled to my ear until I listened to it on my new Hi-Fi and it didn't sound as bad as I expected. I'll pick this one up after I get all the other limited stuff that's about to sell out soon.

Alright then, I believe you. I'm getting this as soon as I get my pay. I'm listening now to the Rhino and it does indeed sound a bit... muddy.

Karol

That's how Superman: The Movie was when comparing it to FSM's release of the score. FSM's has much better quality compared to Rhino's. I was happily able to get rid of my Rhino disc once I got the Blue Box.

Alright then, I believe you. I'm getting this as soon as I get my pay. I'm listening now to the Rhino and it does indeed sound a bit... muddy.

Karol

That's how Superman: The Movie was when comparing it to FSM's release of the score. FSM's has much better quality compared to Rhino's. I was happily able to get rid of my Rhino disc once I got the Blue Box.

Just a shame FSM can't offer S:TM independently.

I know Lukas had mentioned something along the lines of an idea they were floating around for later on down the line, if and when the first run sold out. But it looks like a second pressing of the box was what they wanted to do.

The liner notes for Poltergeist also mention that Spielberg was considering Goldsmtih as his composer of choice before settling on Williams.

Just a shame FSM can't offer S:TM independently.

Seriously. That I would buy in a heartbeat. But with 3+ additional scores that I'm not too interested in and an accordingly high price tag, the Blue Box may remain on my to-buy list for quite some time.

The Blue Box is worth it. The other 3 scores in the box are surprisingly better than you'd expect.

Actually, I'm kind of curious to hear III and IV. But not enough to pay as much.

Karol

III is awful, although I'm basing my opinions on the film. I always liked II's pseudo-score. IV is okay. But again, I don't want them enough to pay that much money just to get one score. It'd be like making someone to buy the complete and remastered TMP by putting it in a box with IV, Generations and Insurrection.

So does anybody actually have this CD? I don't think I've seen any posts discussing it.

I want it, but it will definitely be something I throw in a future moviemusic.com order to made 3 CDs for $1 shipping - I'm in no rush after the sheer amount of film scores I've bought this year...

I have it and love it. The sound quality is better than the Rhino release and it is nice to have the album presentation and the bonus cues. The liner notes are also fascinating to read.

So does anybody actually have this CD? I don't think I've seen any posts discussing it.

Wow, I will have my Poltergeist CD today. :o

The sound is excellent on this release, hearing instruments/ details I never heard on the Rhino release. Rebirth never sounded so good.

;)

I meant that I hadn't seen MANY posts discussing it. 2 quick sentences from Mark isn't enough!

More details people! Talk about disc 2!