Jerry Goldsmith's Poltergeist

crocodile

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wondering now. Seems like the previous album is pretty much complete... Having never seen the film (some bits maybe) I thought there is more...

Karol

I don't care much for alternates and/or LP program. So the question remains: how good does it sound? Keep in mind this question comes from someone who bought the Rhino edition this year.

Karol

It looks like the Rhino is complete, although FSM's appears to be about 10 seconds longer.

If you are ok with the Rhino's sound and not interested in the extra's I'd say keep it and skip FSM's release.

I might buy Twilight Zone - The Movie instead... Now that one was expanded and I kind of forgot about it. And Rosenman's score also sounds interesting.

This release will last for some time. After all it's 10,000 units.

Karol

Funny thing: after much thought I decided to buy Krull. So I ordered it, but before I managed to fill in all my details "sold out" note appeared. Crap!

Karol

Hmmm, I wonder if Johnny or Jerry hung out at each other's sessions while scoring Poltergeist and E.T.?

Check out the alternate cue, "Wild Percussion". :whistle:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm/CDID/452/Poltergeist/

maybe spielberg mixxed up the tapes :P

I'll either wait until next week to order this, or ask Santa to bring it. I've never heard a second of it, so while I love expanded releases of classic Goldsmiths as much as the next guy, it's hard to go crazy for it.

Hmmm, I wonder if Johnny or Jerry hung out at each other's sessions while scoring Poltergeist and E.T.?

Check out the alternate cue, "Wild Percussion". :whistle:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm/CDID/452/Poltergeist/

maybe spielberg mixxed up the tapes :P

According to Mr. Matessino, it does mention in the liner notes that Williams visited the scoring sessions....

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=74312&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=2&r=663#bottom

;)

Tempting. I don't own any release of this score. Maybe I'll ask for this for Christmas. Finally bought a full-length Goldsmith-only album for the first time (Star Trek V), and I'm loving it, so why stop there?

Tempting. I don't own any release of this score. Maybe I'll ask for this for Christmas. Finally bought a full-length Goldsmith-only album for the first time (Star Trek V), and I'm loving it, so why stop there?

You need to get Alien and Star Trek TMP

Yeah, those are two I've been meaning to pick up. I'm very familiar with TMP, and I'd like to buy it, but I guess I'm waiting for it to get a complete release. That's not an issue with Alien, of course...maybe I'll ask for that instead.

Probably my favourite Goldsmith score. I won't be getting this, though.

Why not? Financial reasons? The content?

Karol

The Rhino release already has all the music I could ever want.

For those who don't yet own this score though, I can't recommend it enough, it's incredibly good.

It would be like listening to "TESB" before "Star Wars": perfectly possible, but a little bit weird.

There are continuations of themes established in "Poltergeist" which, for you, would have no frame of reference.

Having said that, "II" is as much as a departure from "I" as it is a continuation of it.

Like a lot of things, you pays yer money, and you takes yer choice.

It would be like listening to "TESB" before "Star Wars": perfectly possible, but a little bit weird.

There are continuations of themes established in "Poltergeist" which, for you, would have no frame of reference.

Having said that, "II" is as much as a departure from "I" as it is a continuation of it.

Poltergeist slaughters Poltergeist II.

I think I will pass. The Rhino/Sony album is enough of Poltergeist for me. Plus the wallet is nearly empty and score budget for this year spent.

I think I will pass. The Rhino/Sony album is enough of Poltergeist for me. Plus the wallet is nearly empty and score budget for this year spent.

I felt almost guilty that I spent as much as I did. Given some "real world" problems, buying all these releases is not that essential.

Karol

I totally have to get this! But with my tight funds right now... and since it is 10,000 units... I want to at least see what Intrada's final releases of the year are before I do it, since they are much more limited. But yeah this is a total buy for me. I have yet to actually own this score and this is obviously the most complete and perhaps best sounding version to boot. I can understand why some people aren't getting it that own the other edition, though.

Poltergeist slaughters Poltergeist II.

Agreed, Quint, but "II" is not without merit.

I'm fine with my rhinoceros.

Imposserous!

Preposterous!

Inconceivable!

I'll be picking up the FSM release, and I'm REALLY glad to see it's set at 10,000 so I can be comfortable holding off until after Christmas. Hope Home Alone is still around then too.

Hmmm... why am I not more excited for this? I love the score, but don't feel the need right now. Yeah, 10,000 allows me to wait until the mood strikes me.

If I bought Poltergeist 2 but haven't removed the shrink wrap yet, should I listen to it before or after I receive FSM's Poltergeist 1 ?

no!

Let me explain something. The correct answer to an "either/or" question is not "no."

Wojo: "Should I do option 1 or option 2?"

king mark: "no!"

Wojo: :eh:

Mood?! Mood's a thing for cattle, and love-playing, not soundtrack buying!

I had to look that up. God almighty, I had to look that up. I'm losing it. I think I need a cold one.

If I bought Poltergeist 2 but haven't removed the shrink wrap yet, should I listen to it before or after I receive FSM's Poltergeist 1 ?

no!

Let me explain something. The correct answer to an "either/or" question is not "no."

Wojo: "Should I do option 1 or option 2?"

king mark: "no!"

Wojo: :eh:

Isn't it obvious? Do neither.

I will never work out why people who already have a brilliant release like the Rhino edition still freak out and go mad over another release such as this one. MUST have it, huh?

I was really looking forward to this one. Until today, when I realized it's essentially the same thing... Well, almost... I'm going to wait and read some opinions on sound quality.

Karol