Tron Legacy Score Thread

Charlie Brigden

I'm with Publicist on this one...though perhaps I'll warm to it more if and when I see the film. A lot of it is easily pegged as Zimmer-esque, but there is something really interesting going on in a couple of the tracks.

ok, before I read the thread ,let me guess that Koray thinks it's the best score ever written.

With that said I'll give it a listen while I'm still waiting for Family Plot

ok, before I read the thread ,let me guess that Koray thinks it's the best score ever written.

lol2.gif

You are so funny, KM. I can't stop laughing.

As far as I know, Zimmer (and Powell and Gregson-Williams) were thanked in the booklet. I don't know if he was consulted on anything. I've only heard the samples, and while "Recognizer" sounds like it's straight out of Inception, a lot of it is more electrical and loopish than Zimmer's music. After all, it's composed by a techno group I've never been fond of.

Blue. just for the record, I also love what Tangerine Dream did with Thief and Pat Metheny Group did with The Falcon and The Snowman. I do like scores outside orchestral ones. They just have to be well written. I have heard some Daft Punk and while it's not my thing, I think it's a good approach for this film. I do prefer Carlos' original.

Just got out of the movie, IMAX 3D. The score fit the film like a glove (almost the other way around). This is one of those occasions where it was better to hear the music before seeing it in the film (IMO anyway). It planted the idea of the movie beforehand, and payed off big time when I finally saw it. And it's no wonder it bears a passing resemblance to The Dark Knight and Inception, because parts of the film (particularly the cinematography) do.

• 2 weeks later...

Gave the score a spin and my initial thoughts are ones of mild enjoyment, though tinged with a general feeling of indifference. I'm sure it fits the film just fine (though I reckon not as spectacularly as it could have done), but it's probably not a score I'd want to return to outside of the movie experience. That may change after I've actually watched it. Standout tracks are Outlands, Rectifier (beastly bass line on that one I like) and C.L.U.

Not bad.

I don't know if I already offered my thoughts on the score yet or not. But this score is fantastic -- it deserves the praise heaped on it and then some.

This is the kind of score I wish Zimmer had done for Christopher Nolan. Actual thematic ideas, better mixing of the orchestral and electronic elements, complex electronic writing, et al. I'm serious, if Zimmer had taken this complex approach to Inception and Batman it'd be perfect.

I don't know if I already offered my thoughts on the score yet or not. But this score is fantastic -- it deserves the praise heaped on it and then some.

This is the kind of score I wish Zimmer had done for Christopher Nolan. Actual thematic ideas, better mixing of the orchestral and electronic elements, complex electronic writing, et al. I'm serious, if Zimmer had taken this complex approach to Inception and Batman it'd be perfect.

Zimmer's probably secretly jealous that this electro duo introduced some colour and texture that he was too washed up to think of writing.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's okay. It's exactly what I'd expect to hear in a film with zippy, neon light shows.

Didn't PSYCHO have that very same light show?

The score for TRON:Legacy is as fitting, as beautiful, as idiosyncratic, and as "out there" as Wendy Warlos' score for the original was. It was nice of the Kevin Flynn character to state the TRON theme at the begining of the film.

With all this Zimmer/Inception-bashing going on, has anyone mentioned that it contains the work of the best guitarist that this country has ever produced, and he, in turn, was one quarter of the best British band since The Beatles?

I'll click the link and read your review in the morning, Charlie.

In the meantime I'll quickly update my earlier comments in this thread by saying that since seeing the movie I have completely changed my mind about the score's effectiveness in the movie...

It's freakin' amazing, I love it. Fits the movie like a pig skin glove - it's tight as hell. A superb score!

It's not quite as effective as separate listen, though.

I just reviewed the score here.

A very nice review, Charlie, with only a couple of (very) minor inconsistences: 1] it was not Kuato who opened his mind; it was Quaid, and 2] the DVD is currently available - I see it everywhere, advertised in the "2 for £10" section of most major DVD retailers.

As a fan of electronic music, it would be interesting to speculate what Air, or Tangerine Dream, or Larry Fast, or Paul Haslinger, or Klause Schulze, or Jean Michel Jarre would have done with the score, but we've got the score that we've got, and I, for one, am not disapointed.

As for the review it self; a very professional piece of work.

Hold on! it's a bit TOO professional. You don't work for Mojo, or Q, or Empire, do you?

I've got it! Ha, ha, I've sussed you out, Charlie; you're Johnny Trunk, aren't you; the bloke who reviews all the soundtracks in Record Collector?!!! Yes!!!!!

I must say I agree with pretty much everything Charlie said in his review. However, I do disagree with the notion that Bridges' voiceover on the first track is a bad thing. On pretty much any other score I'd agree, but here I just think Flynn's gravelly tones sound so friggin' cool. It's a great opener, a great preparation.

I must say I agree with pretty much everything Charlie said in his review. However, I do disagree with the notion that Bridges' voiceover on the first track is a bad thing. On pretty much any other score I'd agree, but here I just think Flynn's gravelly tones sound so friggin' cool. It's a great opener, a great preparation.

...except that it misses out "guess what", and Sam Flynn's reply "you got in", which, IMHO, would have made the whole prologue a little more...Human.

You know, they could have gone all-out by putting even more dialogue into the soundtrack release. Just recall the overkill on the Apollo 13 album. I think the vocal introduction in "The Grid" was sparing enough to be just fine, and doesn't obscure any really important music as it builds up to the epic main theme.

Y'know... I'd like to buy this score and try it out, but I'm not sure I want to shell out $40+ to get the Special Edition 2CD from amazon.co.uk. On the other hand, if I get the single disc, and enjoy it, I will definitely not want to buy it twice. Anyone know why the 2CD set isn't available in the States?

Oh, and, can we change the title of this thread to "Tron: Legacy Score" or something like that?

You know, they could have gone all-out by putting even more dialogue into the soundtrack release. Just recall the overkill on the Apollo 13 album. I think the vocal introduction in "The Grid" was sparing enough to be just fine, and doesn't obscure any really important music as it builds up to the epic main theme.

It sounds like a rip-off of Spock's narration.

Karol

Because that's the way the album was marketed. I bought the Amazon album on 12/7 when it was only $4, and the "bonus" track sticks out like a sore thumb tacked on after the end credits, but I haven't bothered to figure out where it goes. I also haven't bothered to nab the two iTunes tracks. I have no clu how to get the Nokia Ovi track, but I certainly wouldn't pay $40 for the 13 minutes of "disc 2" unless someone told me those 13 minutes would change my life.

Track listing

All music composed by Daft Punk, orchestrated by Joseph Trapanese.

Standard edition

No. Title Length

1. "Overture" 2:28

2. "The Grid" 1:37

3. "The Son of Flynn" 1:35

4. "Recognizer" 2:38

5. "Armory" 2:03

6. "Arena" 1:33

7. "Rinzler" 2:18

8. "The Game Has Changed" 3:25

9. "Outlands" 2:42

10. "Adagio for Tron" 4:11

11. "Nocturne" 1:42

12. "End of Line" 2:36

13. "Derezzed" 1:44

14. "Fall" 1:23

15. "Solar Sailer" 2:42

16. "Rectifier" 2:14

17. "Disc Wars" 4:11

18. "C.L.U." 4:39

19. "Arrival" 2:00

20. "Flynn Lives" 3:22

21. "Tron Legacy (End Titles)" 3:18

22. "Finale" 4:23

Total length: 58:44

Special edition bonus disc

No. Title Length

1. "ENCOM, Part I" 3:53

2. "ENCOM, Part II" 2:18

3. "Round One" 1:41

4. "Castor" 2:19

5. "Reflections" 2:42

Total length: 12:53

iTunes bonus tracks

No. Title Length

23. "Father and Son" 3:12

24. "Outlands, Part II" 2:53

Total length: 6:05

Amazon MP3 bonus track

No. Title Length

23. "Sea of Simulation" 2:41

Total length: 2:41

Nokia Ovi bonus track

No. Title Length

23. "Sunrise Prelude" 2:50

Total length: 2:50

No, not really.

Karol

How?

BTW, 'The Grid' is the main title.

BBTW thanks Q and Richard.

On 'The Grid', I still think it works, but I think it works less because it comes after the overture. If it opened the album, I'd probably accept it a lot more. That said, Bridges voice sounds great.

The Grid... a digital frontier...

Come on!

Karol

Spock's narration is just a "rip-off" of Kirk's narration that he used in every episode of the TV series, only put into TWOK because he died. That made JJ Abrams' usage of it in Star Trek 2009 an even bigger rip-off because Spock didn't die, unless your POV is the "prime" timeline in which Romulus exploded, not the "new" timeline into which Spock was pulled.

Jeff Bridges' narration is a perfect introduction to the album. I don't know if it was used in the movie or not because I missed the very beginning of the movie, taking my seat only as the newsman said that young Flynn would be in the care of his grandparents.

"The Grid. Fuckin' A, man! A whole new fuckin' way of listening to music. Beats my fuckin' Dylan tapes, anyday! And the best thing? No Eagles. I hate the fuckin' Eagles, man. So, what does it fuckin' look like? Well, here's cars, and fuckin' flying things, and I've been down here...uh...what day is this? Fuck it, lets go bowling".

The Grid: rated R.

What a ridiculous scavenger hunt. After buying the special edition on Amazon.co.uk, the iTunes bonus tracks and the Amazon MP3 bonus track, I just found out today that there's also a Nokia Ovi bonus track. Well, it's only available if you live in the UK, so I just went and downloaded it illegally. So... I think the collection is complete, at long last.

But wait, there's more!

The score supposedly underwent significant rewrites, and Daft Punk have released the original tracks under the pseudonym

. Make of it what you will.

Jeff Bridges' narration is a perfect introduction to the album. I don't know if it was used in the movie or not, because I came in just as young Flynn got the news his dad disappeared.

It opens the film. I might try perhaps sequencing the Overture somewhere else in the album. I have a playlist where I've tried to put it in film order, although I'd need to see the film again.

I have no clu how to get the Nokia Ovi track, but I certainly wouldn't pay $40 for the 13 minutes of "disc 2" unless someone told me those 13 minutes would change my life.

I only paid $25 for the special edition, including shipping. Did the price spike or something?

Glad to see the love for this one (for the most part, anyway). It's my most-played soundtrack over the last few months and my favourite of 2010 (both as soundtrack and in the film). Especially love the tracks "End of Line", "Derezzed" and "End Titles" as well as the more Zimmer/INCEPTION-like tracks.

I have no clu how to get the Nokia Ovi track, but I certainly wouldn't pay $40 for the 13 minutes of "disc 2" unless someone told me those 13 minutes would change my life.

I only paid $25 for the special edition, including shipping. Did the price spike or something?

It seems to have, Koray. Is it exclusive to Amazon UK?

After reading Henry's post, I am feeling pretty turned off to the scavenger hunt idea. I may just get the regular version and call it a day.

It seems to have, Koray. Is it exclusive to Amazon UK?

After reading Henry's post, I am feeling pretty turned off to the scavenger hunt idea. I may just get the regular version and call it a day.

It's an EU exclusive, but not to any store. I bought it in HMV.