Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

Ford supposedly wants to play the character one more time, and there was much talk the Star Wars 7 deal included an obligation for Indy 5.

I could easily see Disney following the lead of Last Crusade; an opening prologue with a younger, reckless Indy (at 30 years old in the late 1920's, played by Pratt), but the main story plays out in the 1960's with old Indy (Ford). The film would naturally involve a quest for the fountain of youth or something, so Indy can end the film looking like he did in the prologue.

Or he dies/retires, and the next films just follow Pratt-Indy in the 1920's.

Maybe he resented the grail and all it represented: an old man's dream. The grail robbed Indy of a normal father when he was a boy, yet he needed to complete his father's quest as a man in order to save his father.

I just found it out today... and i thought it bewildering.

I was asking if its just a rumour or they are really considering this.

It is just a rumor.

Chances are good that they are considering it anyway, as Ford is getting on in years and they bought that character as part of a multi-billion-dollar deal.

I'm not against Chris Pratt being Indy.

Neither am I after seeing the photoshop Jay posted the page before.

But i rather wait for Mr. Ford to retire or stop wanting to be indy before rebooting the franchise.

• 3 weeks later...

He must really want to right the wrongs of 2008.

Impossible. I'll never forgive anyone involved, not even Williams.

Williams' score was one of the highlights of Crystal Skull. I don't listen to it as often as I do Temple of Doom, but it's a fun listening experience outside the film.

You are so wrong!

You like theme park music, which is like so weird, so what do you know?!!! :stick:

But they are really going to reboot Indy series?!!! Let the old dog lie already. Leave us with some fond memories of the original trilogy and let the franschise lie. Invent something new instead!

When new things are invented, people decide they're boring, or root for them to fail, or nitpick them.

The production of films should probably just stop completely.

Yes! Until a better method is invented!

In all fairness when new things are genuinely bad and fail to attract positive attention is saying "make better films", not just hipstery "I am against it out of hip and cool principle". I am just getting tired ot retreading same old genres and not even genres but established franschises and thinking you can still perhaps get some cash out of them. I know money makes Hollywood go-round but it is becoming tiring. There hasn't been a film in ages I would have been genuinely interested in. It is all superhero this and brainless robot fighting robot that.

Ok that was just cranky Saturday morning rant. There are interesting and genuinely fun films out there but for the most part what gets into the globe wide circulation and the media attention (thanks to the huge marketing budgets) is the bigger (and usually dumber) stuff.

But it is funny how Spielberg obviously feels guilty for Indy IV and wants to atone by making another and hopefully better Indy film. :P

But it is funny how Spielberg obviously feels guilty for Indy IV and wants to atone by making another and hopefully better Indy film. :P

He already made Indy 3 to make up for Indy 2. I'm probably the only one who understands Spielberg on this. ;)

Well, to be fair at the rate we were going, the next film they were going to make would probably have been "Indiana Jones and the secret of the Ancient Care Home". Rebooting it makes sense if you ask me. Chris Pratt, however? Not too sure if he's got the Indy vibe going. Rather than a reboot, though, I'd like to see a pre-quadrilogy story of Indy when he was younger rather than a straight-up reboot. There is one thing going for the next film though: I'd assume Lucas is completely out of the loop.

Not really, me and Spielberg know exactly why he makes another Indy. Living in palaces on land and water is very costly. Making another Indy is easy money. You don't even have to come up with something new. Rehash and cash in!

Alex

Well...if they are going to reboot it in the end...Spielberg is the best choice.

First of all because the music will not be rebooted either. Like it has happened in other franchises. So theRaiders march will be this character's theme for years to come!

And there's hoping a giacchino score when Williams passes the batton! ;P

I find it rather curious that after so many years Ford accepts to reprise his Han Solo role to be ditched out of indiana jones the next year, even if he wants to do it... He may end doing more Star wars films than indy films in the outcome...

Han Solo is only a supporting role though, and not nearly as physical.

Tell that to his leg!

He could not have guessed the ghost of Millenium Falcon would be so vindictive!

And Harrison is acting his age now! Good for him!

Does he still have the earring? Or Alley McBeal?

I meant his movie roles! Not his private life! He can do his own stunts there.

You really feel the danger there.

Harrison would in his current age probably break a hip or two on the way down.

There's at least three ways to keep Pratt and Ford in Indy 5.

1. A "flashback" story where old Indy (Ford) recounts his younger days back in the 30's. Enter young Indy (Pratt) for the main story, and old Indy for the prologue/epilogue.

2. A Maguffin that allows a "youth" potion which means old Indy becomes young Indy by the end of the movie.

3. A Macguffin that entails time travel, meaning both young and old Indy inevitably come face to face somehow.

All three are pretty doable and allow a seamless "passing of the torch" storyline. Don't forget the rumours about Ford returning to Star Wars included a clause for Disney making a fifth Indiana Jones movie.

Either way, I see Spielberg's surprising interest in another Indiana Jones as a redemption of sorts. He's a populist director and made Crusade because everyone hated Temple. He knows Crystal Skull was poorly received and probably feels an obligation to revitalize the franchise before another director has their turn.

No doubt he feels ownership over the character and understandably wants to set the next generation off on the right tangent. I think anyone who "owns" a creative property understands the uneasiness of passing on your work to someone else, so it makes sense Spielberg doesn't want to let go without establishing a clear direction for Pratt's iteration of the character.

1. A "flashback" story where old Indy (Ford) recounts his younger days back in the 30's. Enter young Indy (Pratt) for the main story, and old Indy for the prologue/epilogue.

OK.

2. A Maguffin that allows a "youth" potion which means old Indy becomes young Indy by the end of the movie.

Ugh.

3. A Macguffin that entails time travel, meaning both young and old Indy inevitably come face to face somehow.

Ugh!

Agreed that the only sensible option is the first.

Although perhaps, as I previously mentioned, a prologue with Pratt but a main story with Ford (ala Crusade with Phoenix in the prologue) could work best. Depends whether people will accept another movie with Ford as the protagonist. I wonder if much relies on the reception to 73 year old Han Solo this December?

Everyone hated Temple of Doom?

I love it and I know most people on the interwebs agree these days, but at the time the reception was very cold. Not dissimilar to what's happened with A.I.

It's Spielberg direction at its most youthful. He's lost a lot of that exuberance in the years following, sadly.