Upcoming Scoring Assignments

Jay

If we believe IMDB (which we do with a grain of salt) Dario Marianelli seems to be attached to the upcoming (2015) revamping of the legend of Peter Pan named succintly Pan.

This could be something quite excellent if this turns out to be true. :)

Probably true since Marianelli has a pretty steady collaboration with the director Joe Wright. He's only missed one of his films and I doubt they'd ask The Chemical Brothers to do Peter Pan.

Even though I'm for directors to bring in composers they want, the composers brought in for tax breaks tend to do a great job. (Makes me wish what Federico Justo could've done with 300: Rise of an Empire.)

Wow, that's exciting news that was definitely not already being discussed on this page!

• 1 month later...

The thing is, the credits on this particular franchise are very confusing. For example Klaus Badelt is credited as the lead composer when we know Hans did the majority of it (along with his assistants of course) but was contractually obligated by Last Samurai so he couldn't put his name on it -and I think he didn't want to either. On the following scores, he is credited as the lead composer as he became insanely popular during the first movie's release but by POTC4 he barely composed any actual score for the film, apart from the main themes and suites.

So I don't really know how this one's gonna go, I suppose Hans will still compose the main themes and such though.

The thing is, the credits on this particular franchise are very confusing. For example Klaus Badelt is credited as the lead composer when we know Hans did the majority of it (along with his assistants of course) but was contractually obligated by Last Samurai so he couldn't put his name on it -and I think he didn't want to either. On the following scores, he is credited as the lead composer as he became insanely popular during the first movie's release but by POTC4 he barely composed any actual score for the film, apart from the main themes and suites.

So I don't really know how this one's gonna go, I suppose Hans will still compose the main themes and such though.

It seemed to me that Zimmer was getting progressively less interested in the franchise (some quote about being 'seasick' by film 3). By this point though, he's the most popular film composer on the planet, and so I guess getting his name on the soundtrack is a big deal. That he seemed to prefer remixes over score on the 4th CD speaks volumes to me about his investment.

Zanelli's material is a little generic to my ears, but he seems proud of his involvement in the franchise (see his website). I like some of his stuff (Into the West), and find others unremarkable (The Pacific).

• 3 weeks later...

That is exactly what I'm talking about. Hopefully, it would be slightly weightier orchestrally. Whenever he does something like that, it's always good to hear. Enough of fluff and wonder already.

Karol

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know, Djawadi's work is steadily improving. It's possible Duncan Jones wanted a Game of Thrones-inspired score for Warcraft and approached Djawadi, which makes sense.

It's possible Duncan Jones wanted a Game of Thrones-inspired score for Warcraft and approached Djawadi, which makes sense.

I wouldn't be excited for that either. Djawadi's score for Game of Thrones is the weakest link in an otherwise excellent series.

On the FSM board, someone is saying Alberto Iglesias was sacked from Exodus: Gods and Kings and he's being replaced by James Newton Howard

I hope so. I'm not a fan of Ablerto Iglesias and JNH is my favorite active composer right now. I'd love to see what he'd do with the assignment.

Also, Thomas Newman is no longer listed as composer on the IMDB page for The Good Dinosaur if that means anything (it probably doesn't) and Alejandro de la Llosa, who's worked on a couple John Williams scores of recent years is listed as "music supervisor". One can only hope...