What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Introducing new characters whilst still having the old ones plus having to include Kathleen Kennedy's 'agenda' and bringing the 'Skywalker Saga' to some sort of conclusion is quite the juggling act and whilst it wasn't always 100% successful, I reckon Abrams and Johnson didn't do too badly at all.   

Hereditary. It was good but not sure how good exactly. I was more captivated by family drama than I was by the horror stuff. The human stuff felt more chilling somehow. One thing you need to give Ari Aster. He's definitely a king of mood.

Karol

SPOTLIGHT (2015) - Frame Rated - Medium

Spotlight (2015)

Excellent movie. Director Tom McCarthy wisely decided not to make a movie with the usual obvious filmmaking flourishes, instead opting for a slightly streamlined version of Paul Greengrass's approach in United 93.  McCarthy lets the weight and importance of the subject come through primarily.  Similarly, all the actors do not take the opportunity to draw undue attention to themselves or their performances.  They play their parts naturally and with humanity.  Keaton, Ruffalo and Tucci are especially perfect.  Nevertheless, the performances, the direction and the script subtly calls attention to important points in the story.

Also, the production is fantastic.  The wardrobes and the cars and trucks strewn about are remarkably faithful to the 9/11 era period.  My only gripe here is that Pepsico may have shelled out some dough to have their circa 2015 branding in the breakroom.  

Perhaps the movie's greatest strength is that it stops far short of being a hagiography of its protagonists or falling upon the trope of moralizing about things.  There is an air of sincerity about how power structures within and outside the newsroom are treated, how mistakes are made, how evil becomes tolerated, how faith is shaken, and how beginning to right wrongs is much more mundane, if you will, than the stereotypical moral crusade makes it out to be.  It's all quite moving.  

4/4

Screen-Shot-2020-06-19-at-2-27-53-AM.png

Trois Couleurs: Blanc

So much better than the joyless and overly schematic Bleu. It's bittersweet, funny, absurd, and boasts a real personality. I guess Kieslowski just works better on his home turf.

I thought the first two were overly serious and ponderous but that the third one finally contained some humour that was able to put things in perspective. Life isn't all that black and white, you know.

But, who knows, maybe I watched them in the wrong order. 

2 hours ago, KK said:

Screen-Shot-2020-06-19-at-2-27-53-AM.png

Trois Couleurs: Blanc

So much better than the joyless and overly schematic Bleu. It's bittersweet, funny, absurd, and boasts a real personality. I guess Kieslowski just works better on his home turf.

At least we can all agree Red is the weakest? But yes, White is my favourite too.

Karol

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

I thought the entire trilogy was considered masterful?

From what I've heard, Red is supposed to be masterful, Blue seems to be very good, but not perfect, and White is said to disappoint in comparison.

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

At least we can all agree Red is the weakest? But yes, White is my favourite too.

Karol

Haven’t watched it yet! But will let you know.

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I thought the first two were overly serious and ponderous but that the third one finally contained some humour that was able to put things in perspective. Life isn't all that black and white, you know.

But, who knows, maybe I watched them in the wrong order. 

Haven’t watched the third one yet, but isn’t White supposed to be the funny one?

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Bleu has the best music, though. ;)

You would think! But I think the music for Bleu is one of the big turn-offs for me. If only because there’s no way a “Concerto for Europe” could ever sound so banal...

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

I thought the entire trilogy was considered masterful?

Bleu (the most acclaimed of the bunch) is one of the most overrated films of all time. There. I said it. It’s watchable mostly because Juliette Binoche is a goddess.

7 hours ago, crocodile said:

Red was my clear favourite when I watched them, with White being the weakest for me. I just didn't know how to handle its very peculiar kind of humour.

3 hours ago, KK said:

there’s no way a “Concerto for Europe” could ever sound so banal...

Wasn't it for the EU? Then it makes total sense!

3 hours ago, KK said:

Bleu (the most acclaimed of the bunch) is one of the most overrated films of all time. There. I said it. It’s watchable mostly because Juliette Binoche is a goddess.

No film with JB can be overrated. It's simply impossible.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I just didn't know how to handle its very peculiar kind of humour.

Just laugh. :)

The warrior's way.

Wonderfully superficial and perfect to wind down. Tony Cox’s voice strongly reminded me of Jar Jar, for some weird reason. It all gets utterly ridiculous pretty quickly, but that didn’t matter. I’m in a good mood today and thoroughly enjoyed watching this crap. This was also my first Western in which they used record players.

And I loved the score. Western music in general, for that matter. Why is there no soundtrack album?!

The Deep - any film in which Jacqueline Bisset spends the first 10 minutes underwater in little more than a white tee and bikini bottoms can't be all bad. An adaptation of a Peter Benchley novel, this passable diving adventure has both sunken morphine ampules and treasure as its McGuffins, a touch of voodoo weirdness, Nick Nolte and (his experiences on previous watery Benchley adaptation Jaws obviously not having put him off) Robert Shaw. Oh, and a John Barry score.

Team America : World Police - Trey Parker and Matt Stone's 'War On Terror' satire, made with puppets (as you do, lol) ... consequently this can sometimes seem like the makers of the original Thunderbirds got drunk and decided to 'cut loose' one day. A decent amount of chuckles to be had as jihadists, over-zealous US military response and do-gooding celebs all get it in the neck. And in these global pandemic/race war times, the idea of a North Korean dictator threatening the world seems almost quaint.

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

The Deep 

I saw that in the theatre at the time. Didn't think it was any good though ... but I liked the Donna Summer hit.

ZOMBIELAND.

A fun ride, but, er...why are they watching GHOSTBUSTERS in 1.85?

Warning! Contains out-of-date attitudes towards zombies, and a bit where some white people trash a shop selling a bunch of dreamcatchers, and Native American shit.

The sequel's fun too. Although it did have me pondering on the amount of preservatives in American foodstuffs, as the film makes clear that (as in real life) 10 years have passed and the characters are still living off of supermarket, convenience store etc. stock.    

5 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

The sequel's fun too. Although it did have me pondering on the amount of preservatives in American foodstuffs, as the film makes clear that (as in real life) 10 years have passed and the characters are still living off of supermarket, convenience store etc. stock.    

At least Harrelson got his Twinkie.

9 minutes ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

Eyes Wide Shut

What was this even about?

I've been asking the very same question, for 21 years.

27 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Weird Euro culture that doesn't comprehend horror comedy and possibly gallows humour either, the latter of which is the foundation of all English wit.

Can you imagine what Alex would make of CARRY ON SCREAMING? :lol:

1 hour ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

Eyes Wide Shut

What was this even about? Male sexual anxieties and insecurities or something? Lots of good sorts in this anyhow.

For me at least it is a brilliant film and one of Kubrick's best. The long illuminati orgy sequence is one of the most uncannily fixating film sequences I've ever seen, the soundtrack and the atmosphere there is absolutely fucking spectacular. Then there's a repetitive piano plonking. Inspired.

On 6/24/2020 at 9:15 PM, Edmilson said:

Yeah, I loved Eyes Wide Shut as well. One of my favorites from Kubrick. I just like the whole atmosphere of the movie.

And the masterful direction, which to me is what makes this movie, not the story, acting or any other aspect. Some authors you love purely for the way they use words. Some directors you love purely for the way they articulate and communicate through film. 

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Yeah, I loved Eyes Wide Shut as well. One of my favorites from Kubrick. I just like the whole atmosphere of the movie.

Meanwhile, I have more than just a clue what this movie is about. But before that I used to watch it, just because it was such a staggering and surreal feeling watching it. This is to say, I watched it for the same reason as the ones I drink alcohol, smoke weed or watch Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas for. The human mind loves these kind of trips just as much as the human body.