What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

The “orthodox” in “Orthodox Judaism” doesn’t refer to Orthodox Christianity.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

...is McAdams' characters supposed to be almost a decade younger than the other two like she is in real life, or are they all supposed to be the same age?

I assumed they were supposed to be roughly the same age (though, admittedly, the age difference probably didn’t occur to me).

Exactly, I think they were all supposed to be the same age, which is why I thought it was odd they cast Weisz and McAdams when Weisz is 9 years older than McAdams (and looks it). Alessandro Nivola, especially with the beard, could pass as a contemporary to either, honestly. 

Based on the writing the characters were supposed to be like, in their early/mid 30s I think, but the trio of actors playing they were 47, 45, and 39

On 19/10/2023 at 6:49 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

The impact of THE OMEN in '76 cannot be underestimated, even if it looks a little tame, by today's standards.

THE OMEN is the best of the original trilogy, and it's a very effective psychological thriller.

The fact that what you see on-screen is, in every way plausible (the "accidental" deaths; Lee Remick's depression leading to her delusional behaviour; the self-doubt that starts to creep in, to Gregory Peck), makes it all the more chilling.

Great performances from the leads (especially Peck, who grounds the film, and gives it both credibility and pathos), and fine support from Troughton, Warner, Whitelaw, MacKern, and Stephens, coupled with assured direction by Donner, great "English" cinematography, by Gil Taylor, and damn good editing, by Stuart Baird, makes this a superior horror film.

As a study of evil, it is not as good as THE EXORCIST, but, in many ways, it's the flip-side of that film. Where the former is full of sturm und drang (all Reagan throwing herself around the bed, and Campbell's split pea soup), THE OMEN chooses a kind of creeping air of unease that only unleashes the horror at certain moments.

I like and appreciate THE EXORCIST, but I like THE OMEN more.

Just wanted to quote this post because I so strongly agree with every word.   Even the last sentence. 

The Wicker Man (original) - another 'tis the season rewatch, although after the BBC comedy series The League Of Gentlemen it's impossible for me to take the majority of it seriously any more. Although the ending (ironically) still chills.  

4 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

The Wicker Man (original) - another 'tis the season rewatch, although after the BBC comedy series The League Of Gentlemen it's impossible for me to take the majority of it seriously any more. Although the ending (ironically) still chills.  

IIRC I didn't like the songs. Otherwise, I would have bought the UHD.

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

THE WICKER MAN is a seminal British film, and it deserves to be in any discerning cinephile's collection, regardless of whether or not they like the freakin' songs :lol:

Corn rigs are bonnyyyyyyy!  :lol:

A work colleague who I hate absolutely fucking adored Midsommar. So when I saw it described in my TV listings magazine of choice recently as 'daft', I thought of them probably being pissed off at that description of it and chuckled heartily. 

It's a great, fun film, to be sure, but how it won Best Picture over THE EXORCIST is still a complete mystery, to me.

Michael Phillips and Julia Phillips went on to produce a certain movie by an upcoming talent called Steven Spielberg.

Fun fact: on Oscar ™ night, Marvin Hamlisch won three awards.

33 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Yeah.

THE STING a marked absence of lines such as "Your mother sucks cocks in Hell", and "Do you know what she did? Your cunting daughter?" :lol:

And all these uttered by a 12-year-old girl. :-) 

56 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Technically, they're uttered by a demon inside a 12-year-old girl.

Yes, but practically not. ;-) And what makes these lines and scenes truly disturbing is the fact that it is in fact a little girl who says these profane and disgusting things. 

But getting back to THE STING, it’s a brilliantly written and directed film. And also, Newman and Redford are fantastic together.

55 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's only a movie, dude, and, yeah, THE STING is a good film.

It gets into a question of how the sausage gets made.

The Sting is one of those nearly perfect movies, like Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Spoiler

Of course the ending of The Sting makes no sense. They shuffled off Lonnegan with the one guy who actually knows who Gondorf and Hooker are. And how fast does Snyder figure out that there is no "Agent Polk"?

If the plot was just "Get the bad guy's money" then fine. But the whole notion was Lonnegan could never know he'd been taken.

Still, one of the most enjoyable movies ever made.

3 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

The Sting is one of those nearly perfect movies, like Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I remember that I liked it the first time (when I was a youngster) but not so much anymore the last time. 

7 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

SERPICO is good but the Pacino/Lumet DOG DAY AFTERNOON is better.

It is. Serpico is about a corrupt police unit, and at the time it was new and shocking, but today it feels a bit like "What's the big deal?"

Jed Mercurio was asked why which city Line Of Duty is meant to be set in is never specified in the show. He replied it was because if you infer that a real city's police force is rife with corruption, you bring 'a world of shit' down on your head.   

Hallowe'en (2018) - this ignores all the other sequels to pick up 40 years after the original. Michael Myers escapes incarceration to come after Laurie Strode again (Jamie Lee Curtis) and her family. This manages to feel a bit more 'grounded' than a lot of horror and pulls off some decent 'jolts'.

hooligans.jpg

I've never watched football (or soccer, hehe), but loved playing it in high school a long time ago.

This film didn't make me want to go to a match. 

Lotr2, some more thoughts.

Liv Tyler. Anyone would have been better. Anyone.

I thought the Uruk-Hai could march in the sun? What happened at the end?

Why is Elrond obsessed with Arwen leaving while he stays behind? To do what? Also, does he really believe Arwen will be depressed for eternity just because Aragorn dies?

Gollum turning good and bad in two hours is not credible.

Need concert tickets for next year. Now.

4 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Liv Tyler. Anyone would have been better. Anyone.

I think she handles it well enough, and she certainly looks the part.

I thought the Uruk-Hai could march in the sun? What happened at the end?

What end? And Uruks can tolerate the sun, but they don't like it.

Why is Elrond obsessed with Arwen leaving while he stays behind? To do what?

To support the last stand against Sauron before he departs himself (if he survives).

Also, does he really believe Arwen will be depressed for eternity just because Aragorn dies?

Not eternity, just for the rest of her no longer immortal life. Which is pretty much what happens.

Gollum turning good and bad in two hours is not credible.

Two hours?

10 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I'd I forgot Julianne Moore was in this, always a nice surprise.

She's a nicer surprise, in SHORT CUTS :lol:

11 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

... with  one of the greatest callbacks in film history, I DON'T CARE!, it's one of my favorite performances.

Yeah, it's a great line. Shame his character was ruined, in U.S. MARSHALLS.

Fun fact: Michael Chapman hated working on the film, but said later that he did good work.

10 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Not eternity, just for the rest of her no longer immortal life.

In Tolkien's chronology, Arwen outlives Aragorn by one year.

12 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I think she handles it well enough, and she certainly looks the part.

part of the problem is she isn't really given anything to do after the first movie. deviations in the first movie made sense for what it was, but then they chickened out.

it's all the more notable bc of the obsession of turning Aragorn into a main character of sorts. these two things clash.

17 minutes ago, Brónach said:

but then they chickened out.

Jackson's biography suggests the main reason for cutting the extended Arwen subplot was that Liv Tyler didn't make a very convincing fighter on the screen. I think they were ultimately wise to cut it.

Lust For A Vampire - early 70s Hammer number. Sadly, the gratuitous nudity was too sporadic to stop my mind wandering to thoughts like 'Hold on, why are these vampires (as is tradition) repelled by crosses and killed via a stake through the heart, but are OK walking around in broad daylight?'.

29 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Jackson's biography suggests the main reason for cutting the extended Arwen subplot was that Liv Tyler didn't make a very convincing fighter on the screen. I think they were ultimately wise to cut it.

oh and there's that

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

but are OK walking around in broad daylight?'

Because that was introduced by the film Nosferatu? (You know I am sometimes amazed what words are actually in spell check.)

5 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

And with one of the greatest callbacks in film history, I DON'T CARE!, it's one of my favorite performances. 

It's been a while since I've seen the film. This is a callback? Him saying "I don't care!" to Kimble in that scene is a reference to him saying the same thing earlier?

4 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

And with one of the greatest callbacks in film history, I DON'T CARE!, it's one of my favorite performances.

Agreed, it’s one of the best comebacks. 

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's been a while since I've seen the film. This is a callback? He says I don't care twice in the film? 

At the end of the film Kimble says "I thought you said you didn't care?" and Gerard laughs and says "I don't." I've always had mixed feelings about that. Jones wonderfully throws the line away and it's amazing. But OTOH Kimble has kind of been through it for a few years now and he might not be up for "Wha wha whaaaaa" humor at this moment.

It's one of Ford's best performances, but it was also the beginning of his "Noble everyman" phase (see also Ryan, Jack) that pretty much finished out his blockbuster career. (Presumed Innocent was probably first, wasn't it?) I would have liked to see a few more less serious roles. Heck, I liked Six Days Seven Nights, or at least his performance in it. I even liked Sabrina. And I loved Working Girl. Han Solo and Indy brought him to the table and he seemed to spent the rest of his life running from it.

EDIT: Did @JNHFan2000 mean "comeback" rather than "callback"?