What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Oh yeah watch the Ultimate Cut or whatever cut that has the cartoon in it. The black freighter story is one of the best bits of Watchmen.

Ahahaha, I hate The Black Freighter. I never saw the cartoon of it, but I hated it when I read the graphic novel. I doubt it would really add to the film on any other level than strictly literary.

No Reservations - okay romantic comedy

Conviction - well told and well acted, though not very interesting after all.

The Lake House - not well told, not well acted, and not interesting at all.

Blackbook - good WW2 movie and probably Paul Verhoeven's best movie! In the end the plot becomes a bit overcomplicated, but generally it is well made, with believable characters, suspense, action and moral issues that speak to the audience.

I had forgotten how brilliant it was. Last time I saw it was back when it came out, but I had always remembered a few key scenes. I did completely forget about Charlie Sheen, and his cameo had me laughing out loud.

"Think about it man... hot lesbian witches. It's fucking genius!"

Kaufman is one of my favorite screenwriters, and Cusack probably one of the more underrated actors working today. I just learned High Fidelity and Grosse Point Blank are out on Blu this Tuesday, pre-ordered the both of them.

No love for Eternal Sunshine?

I'm also a fan of Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind and Adaptation. I never got around to seeing Synecdoche, New York but it looked intriguing like most Kaufman films. Jonze was supposed to direct that one but got tied up with Where The Wild Things Are, right?

It's so quirky and off the wall, with a surprisingly touching throughline (that's to Burwell's quite beautiful melody and whimsical orchestration), I don't think there'll be another movie quite like it again. And I just find the John Malkovich superstar puppeteer thing absolutely hilarious.

No love for Eternal Sunshine?

I'm also a fan of Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind and Adaptation. I never got around to seeing Synecdoche, New York but it looked intriguing like most Kaufman films. Jonze was supposed to direct that one but got tied up with Where The Wild Things Are, right?

I do really like Eternal Sunshine. I just don't absolutely love it. Like I said, I think Kaufman's weird style and the format of the story gets in the way of the film's emotions just a wee bit. I still really like it.

Actually, I loved Synecdoche, New York. I watched it twice the day I first saw it. Roger Ebert didn't name it the best film of the decade for nothing. I don't love it that much, but it was really fascinating.

I heard that Synecdoche, New York is one of those movies that gets incredibly, if not overly complicated (to the point that 'complicated' becomes the focus) .... but I still want to see it, if only for Seymour Hoffman.

Alex

I watched synecdoche a few years ago and I got lost about halfway into it. I should try watching it again. Plus from what I remember, it was utterly serious and lacked the rather jovial/playful nature of John Malkovich, Eternal Sunshine and Adaptation.

I heard that Synecdoche, New York is one of those movies that gets incredibly, if not overly complicated (to the point that 'complicated' becomes the focus) .... but I still want to see it, if only for Seymour Hoffman.

Alex

It does, but that's probably why I rewatched it. I mean, a lot of individual scenes and details do seem to get lost on initial viewing, but I could still follow the larger plot and themes. On second viewing, I got it much better.

It's more serious than other Kaufman films because the larger concept is more serious, but there are some playful moments.

I watched synecdoche a few years ago and I got lost about halfway into it. I should try watching it again. Plus from what I remember, it was utterly serious and lacked the rather jovial/playful nature of John Malkovich, Eternal Sunshine and Adaptation.

That it is. Rather depressing, in fact, which is why I haven't yet re-watched it. It certainly left me with a certain Kaufman impression.

Malkovich, Adaptation and Eternal Sunshine are the three nearly perfect Kaufman films for me, meaning that if they have anything that I might possibly consider a flaw, they have so much going on on so many levels that I couldn't possibly criticize any specifics. They're too well constructed for that.

I first saw Adaptation on the 100th anniversary of Kurt Gödel's birth. A coincidence, but a very fitting one, I thought. And Eternal Sunshine remains one of my all time favourites.

It's so quirky and off the wall, with a surprisingly touching throughline (that's to Burwell's quite beautiful melody and whimsical orchestration), I don't think there'll be another movie quite like it again. And I just find the John Malkovich superstar puppeteer thing absolutely hilarious.

There's a wonderful conversation between him and the PC Guy on Criterion's release, recorded last November, where they discuss the film. They pretty much agreed that it could not be made today because back then there was no Twitter or Facebook and celebritys' lives weren't the public focus all day every day. The idea of seeing through the eyes of a celebrity would no longer resonate with audiences.

I thought it was interesting that Malkovich wanted to direct the screenplay when it was sent to him, and change it to another celebrity but keep the overall idea of Kaufman's story, but he refused, so Malkovich declined. It was later when Spike Jonze came onto the project that he later agreed to do it.

That it is. Rather depressing, in fact, which is why I haven't yet re-watched it. It certainly left me with a certain Kaufman impression.

Malkovich, Adaptation and Eternal Sunshine are the three nearly perfect Kaufman films for me, meaning that if they have anything that I might possibly consider a flaw, they have so much going on on so many levels that I couldn't possibly criticize any specifics. They're too well constructed for that.

I first saw Adaptation on the 100th anniversary of Kurt Gödel's birth. A coincidence, but a very fitting one, I thought. And Eternal Sunshine remains one of my all time favourites.

Agreed with all of the above. In fact it was the depressing nature of Synecdoche (especially the second half, I remember) that stopped me from watching it again to understand it better.

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

2. Adaptation

3. Being John Malkovich

4. Confessions of A Dangerous Mind

The first three are pretty much 5-star films in my book Eternal Sunshine for being creative, whimsical, and yet so true in its statement on love. Adaptation for being the most brilliant "meta" film I've seen (and also giving us not one, but two of Nic Cage's best peformances!). Being John Malkovich for being so batshit insane.

total recall is the most unnecessary remakes of all time. Nothing is improved on. Oh sure the effects are more modern but so what.

Consider this a de vorce. a sadly missed component.

I'm sure it deserves to bomb worse than Led Zeppelin at Live Aid. Okay, nothing could be that bad.

Collateral is on with Tom Cruise. He's a fucking boss in this flick. It has one of the best murder scenes ever in a movie. I love it when Cruise plays villainous guys.

Inglourious Basterds

It's been the second time since I've seen it, and I finally get why Tarantino has an ardent fanbase. Lots of memorable dialogue, and the primary characters are fully rounded out. What's even more striking is that he's careful and thorough in developing this alternate world, it feels real and lived-in. There's some amazingly shot and edited scenes and montages (especially during the last third).

Even though Brad Pitt gets singled out as the standout in this movie; Christoph Waltz, Diane Kruger and Melanie Laurent keep the film glued together. Mix that with Tarantino's signature graphic violence, and it escapes its seemingly grindhouse wish-fulfillment tendencies. I don't think it's perfect, but it's a very good film. I'm not on the Tarantino bandwagon (I'm iffy on his upcoming Django Unchained), but this film emphasizes his best qualities as a filmmaker.

I saw Shutter Island, for the first time since it was in the theatres. I maintain that it is a great, great film. Probably in my top 40 or so.

Indeed. The scene where Leo approaches and then drives around on the island is fantastic, largely due to the music. The costumes, sets, cinematography and sometimes the music are very much like an old fashion haunted house movie. That would make it an entertaining movie in itself, but there's so much more than that.

Shutter Island is just as terrible as Inception, IMO. I know I saw a similar kind of movie operating with similar mechanics. But it's striking that these two movies are called "great" by almost everyone. Film producers should take notice of that.

Grrrrr!

Inglourious Basterds

It's been the second time since I've seen it, and I finally get why Tarantino has an ardent fanbase. Lots of memorable dialogue, and the primary characters are fully rounded out.

Yes, Tarantino is the modern-day Shakespeare. I do find his love for his own dialog distracting. I actually don't see the characters but Tarantino typing up his dialog. I think he needs to balance things out, for his movies (Inglorious Basterds, Death Proof) are becoming a little too dialog driven for my taste. There's no more silence. It would be nice if the images would get a chance to do the talking. It's probably why I enjoyed Jackie Brown so much the last time I saw it.

inside-man-poster.jpg

Surprisingly good heist thriller. I didn't expect it at all. 7/10

Alex

Shutter Island is just as terrible as Inception, IMO. I know I saw a similar kind of movie operating with similar mechanics. But it's striking that these two movies are called "great" by almost everyone. Film producers should take notice of that.

Grrrrr!

inside-man-poster.jpg

Surprisingly good heist thriller. I didn't expect it at all. 7/10

Alex

a rare time you and I agree.

I think it's predictable and I'm sorry but I question anyone taste when they call it a great film.

Hmm unlike Nolan, I think both Scorsese and Tarantino still allow the images to speak while accomodating lots of dialogue. Shutter Island for example looks ravishing from start to end, with excellent mood and atmosphere. How can Inception compare with that? I also like that Shutter Island raised the question that maybe insanity isn't a problem in itself, but a solution to a problem.

Inside Man was a fun heist flick. The twist such a letdown though, a pure "THAT'S IT?!".

It's far from greatness, but unlike Inception, I found Shutter to be thoroughly enjoyable with an atmosphere and look which is right up my alley. OTT cinema if you like, a sweaty noir with B- movie science fiction flavours. I found it brimming with character and intrigue. Inception on the other hand was overblown, boring on the eye and fatally overwrought. Worlds apart.

Oh Hurmm got in while I was typing. Never mind.

Hmm unlike Nolan, I think both Scorsese and Tarantino still allow the images to speak while accomodating lots of dialogue. Shutter Island for example looks ravishing from start to end, with excellent mood and atmosphere.

I know a lot of people like the corporate atmosphere of Inception too but that's not what I mean. I'm not talking about the look or atmosphere.

Each time I'm in the theater I notice that people start to talk whenever the characters aren't talking. They don't have the patience for the language of film. Maybe Nolan and Scorsese have found a solution to that? Perhaps people are calling their movies great because they didn't have time to talk during the movie?

I think it's predictable and I'm sorry but I question anyone taste when they call it a great film.

Shutter Island or Inside man?

I saw Shutter Island, for the first time since it was in the theatres. I maintain that it is a great, great film. Probably in my top 40 or so.

Oh, I tried watching that but I was home alone. I didn't even make it past the scene where her back is smoldering.

The Thing, last year's prequel by Matthijs van Heijningen Jr. Being a huge fan of Carpenter's 1982 classic, a lot could be said here but I must admit I wasn't very disappointed. A lot of things could have been done better or at least different, but on the other hand, there is a lot of originality and inventiveness. Thus the general impression is good as it seemed to me that the whole team, cast and crew, tried to do their best and in their own way pay tribute to Carpenter's version. Even Morricone is quoted at the beginning and the end, I liked the way this "bookends" the movie. The actors are great, especially the Norwegian team and Ulrich Thomsen (Davidov from TWINE).

All in all, a perfectly OK horror flick although the Carpenter version of course remains far superior to this movie.

Is Shutter Island all style? Like Cape Fear (which is a good film in its own way)

Pretty much. There's a cracking good tall tale and solid performances as well, but it's Scorcese in Cape Fear mode which is what grabbed my attention.

Is Shutter Island all style?

I've read it should be viewed as a comedy (much like Cape Fear). Maybe it's Scorsese spoofing Nolan, who knows.

For all it´s loudless, flashy camerwork, over the top acting and booming Cape Fear still has that incredibly creepy scene between DeNiro and Lewis.

Huh? Marty's Cape Fear is pure unadulterated vulgar cinema. I love its sleazy, greasy feel.