What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

A Man For All Seasons: In essence an intimate and small drama despite the grand setting of Tudor England in Henry VIII's times. Centered squarely around Thomas More played with sympathetic wisdom, wit and grace by Paul Scoffield, who really gives a nuanced performance of this great thinker and statesman who sets himself against the will of the king. The supporting British cast is quite impeccable, offering a cavalcade of different character studies but sadly king Henry VIII played admirably by the great Robert Shaw doesn't get enough screen time and I was really expecting more scenes between these two thespians as sparks do fly when they share a scene, Shaw boisterous and dangerous at the same time, an absolute monarch, while Scoffield the calm, cool and ever dignified statesman. The cinematography is beautiful and the time and place are captured very well by the production. Curiously the music by Georges Delerue wasn't as strong as I was expecting, the composer confined to provide transitional and almost diegetic background music with period feel for the most part. I think this film would have benefited from his lyrical gifts and his talents feel really underused here.

Watched The Third Man. Still marvellous, the scene on the ferris wheel remains one of the greatest moments of unnerving exposition and nail-biting tension in all of cinema; which is made all the more fascinating when one remembers that it's but a meeting between two old friends. And I need to find a hi-res image of that stunning last shot of the movie.

Scofield is bit too holier-than-you, a philosophical mouthpiece rather than a man of flesh and blood. But with Shaw's wicked king, it almost works for me.

Scofield is bit too holier-than-you, a philosophical mouthpiece rather than a man of flesh and blood. But with Shaw's wicked king, it almost works for me.

Indeed Scofield is at times a bit like a philosophy book, making long speeches as if almost to himself but there are a few moments of more personal human feeling that are genuinely touching. I think more interaction between him and Shaw would have made the film more interesting. Shaw has such screen presence and more of him could not have been bad. I think it is part intentional that Scofield is so stoic and philosophical while Shaw is full of vim and verve, a contrast that works quite well if not animates Scofield's More.

Watched The Third Man. Still marvellous, the scene on the ferris wheel remains one of the greatest moments of unnerving exposition and nail-biting tension in all of cinema;

Bit of trivia (for those who don't already know it): That ferris wheel was managed by Max Steiner's father.

Watched The Third Man. Still marvellous, the scene on the ferris wheel remains one of the greatest moments of unnerving exposition and nail-biting tension in all of cinema; which is made all the more fascinating when one remembers that it's but a meeting between two old friends. And I need to find a hi-res image of that stunning last shot of the movie.

I recall not really being into the film at first. Then there was the wonderful zoom shot to Orson Welles when you see him for the first time, the zither playing loudly, and it just made me smile.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

I'd like to think this is one of the truest, most sincere love stories ever written, despite the whole thing being pretty warped up. I love it to bits. Jon Brion's score is really good too, a little somber and yet quirkily playful at the same time.

See, I like this film. It's a well written love story, and it's a cool trippy mindfuck story, but I feel like they might be at odds with each other. I feel like the warped format of it makes it hard for me to appreciate the emotions and authenticity of the love story. I like Charlie Kaufman as a writer, but sometimes I think the gimmicks of his films prevent them from ever having sincere moments. In Adaptation, for example, I love the little voiceovers with Meryl Streep, but I'm not sure whether or not I am supposed to be truly moved by them as they are the script within the movie or whatever. I can't tell if it's truly sincere or it's Kaufman winking at me.

How about that rapid tonal shift in Wrath of Khan, right after Khan puts the creatures in their ears? The immediate relief as you see Kirk on the shuttle. I love that part.

Just saying.

You know that it one of the most unsettling parts out of all star trek. I can not watch or listen to that scene without cowering into the person sitting next to me. And since I'm alone I won't be watching it. :). Seriously. Yuck.

Son of Frankestein. It's a bizarre. The camera work and the set design are stylishly insane.

Mortal Kombat: Annihilation

Words can't describe how awful this film is. The last 15 minutes made virtually no sense at all, and the acting was truly wooden. It puts Sam Worthington and Taylor Lautner's 'acting' to shame.

I recall not really being into the film at first. Then there was the wonderful zoom shot to Orson Welles when you see him for the first time, the zither playing loudly, and it just made me smile.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

I'd like to think this is one of the truest, most sincere love stories ever written, despite the whole thing being pretty warped up. I love it to bits. Jon Brion's score is really good too, a little somber and yet quirkily playful at the same time.

See, I like this film. It's a well written love story, and it's a cool trippy mindfuck story, but I feel like they might be at odds with each other. I feel like the warped format of it makes it hard for me to appreciate the emotions and authenticity of the love story. I like Charlie Kaufman as a writer, but sometimes I think the gimmicks of his films prevent them from ever having sincere moments. In Adaptation, for example, I love the little voiceovers with Meryl Streep, but I'm not sure whether or not I am supposed to be truly moved by them as they are the script within the movie or whatever. I can't tell if it's truly sincere or it's Kaufman winking at me.

Yeah I understand what you're saying. It does feel that way the in the beginning, but the closer the film gets to the end, the brighter the themes and emotions are. As a statement about love, I find the film to be powerful.

Then again, I'm young, what do I know about love. :P But that's how I feel about the film.

Watched Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. Joe Dante meets Disney in this very silly but scary-for-kids haunted house monster movie starring Katie Holmes and Guy Pearce. Not a particularly good movie, but well worth watching if you like old fashioned creatures run amok in the night and creaky doors sorts of movies. The little girl at the center of the tale is irritating but you put up with her because you sort of want these horrible little rat goblins to take her, but you know it's never gonna happen. It's just a shame that they never really built on the genuinely intriguing folklore premise (small children putting teeth under pillows should not watch this) and fleshed out the script and it's events a little deeper. Still, if you can stick with it through the boring parts (of which there are a few), there's a fairly devilish sting in the tail which made me grin. 3/5.

Watched Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. Joe Dante meets Disney in this very silly but scary-for-kids haunted house monster movie starring Katie Holmes and Guy Pearce. Not a particularly good movie, but well worth watching if you like old fashioned creatures run amok in the night and creaky doors sorts of movies. The little girl at the center of the tale is irritating but you put up with her because you sort of want these horrible little rat goblins to take her, but you know it's never gonna happen. It's just a shame that they never really built on the genuinely intriguing folklore premise (small children putting teeth under pillows should not watch this) and fleshed out the script and it's events a little deeper. Still, if you can stick with it through the boring parts (of which there are a few), there's a fairly devilish sting in the tail which made me grin. 3/5.

I like it but the original, which was an ABC movie of the week is actually scarier. It's one of those old movies that if you let it can get under your skin. I do like this new one as well. Kate Holmes is very good here. It was a fun time at the movies.

Spiderman.

It was alright but I preferred the 2002 version which was basically the same. Andrew Garfield didn't suck in the role but wasn't great either

I hated the costume, it looked more like a cheap rubber suit than in the previous movies

So how did he recover from getting shot in the leg? One moment he's limping and the next it's like it never happened. Is there "superpower" explanation or the film makers think we all have ADD and already forgot the previous scene

How come in one scene his hands stick to everything like the keys on his laptop and paper and it never happens again after...

The MOS trailer was attached when I saw it. It's really great. Hearing Shores music brought tears to my eye.

what is MOS

If there is one thing I'm sure of is that Zack Snyder will deliver is a kick ass Superman action.

It will be graphic and slow ... because fast is too slapsticky.

Wojo was answering Joe's question above about what MOS stood for.

Croc was answering not Wojo.

If there is one thing I'm sure of is that Zack Snyder will deliver is a kick ass Superman action.

Karol

Finally a big effects-laden Hollywood summer blockbuster with kick-ass action!!

:joy:

Karol

Finally a big effects-laden Hollywood summer blockbuster with kick-ass action!!

:joy:

I know, I know.

But Superman never really got one. Not in the past 20+ years.

Karol

Does SUPERMAN need one is the question. I have the answer:

NO!

:wave:

If i ruled the world, i would forbid a certain male demographic watching comic book movies for at least 5 years. That would clear the cinemas of all those shyster moneygrabbing efforts and force some studios to reconsider their boilerplate. Only good things can come of it.

Snore.

If Snyder can pull off a breathtaking action sequence anything like the plane rescue in Superman Returns then I'll take my hat of to him.

To paraphrase Spielberg at the time - "I wish there was a moment like that in the movies once a year!"

Snore.

If Snyder can pull of a breathtaking action sequence anything like the plane rescue in Superman Returns then I'll take my hat of to him.

To paraphrase Spielberg at the time - "I wish there was a moment like that in the movies once a year!"

I was thinking the same thing, for all the flak Superman Returns get, that is still one of the top action sequences this young century.

It's still a good movie in my book. Just flawed and bloated with angst, but still a terrific Superman film by the end of it.

Man of Steel won't be bloated with angst it will be nothing but angst,

I'm an alien on an alien world with all these powers, people are afraid of me, where do I fit in. Why am I here, Whaaa, whaaaaaa, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Does SUPERMAN need one is the question. I have the answer:

NO!

:wave:

If i ruled the world, i would forbid a certain male demographic watching comic book movies for at least 5 years. That would clear the cinemas of all those shyster moneygrabbing efforts and force some studios to reconsider their boilerplate. Only good things can come of it.

Actually I don't think make so many comic book films. Compare to all the crappy boring romantic comedies they release each year. They only make many films in total out of just a pair of serializedncomic book franchises of the USA.

Then there's stuff, to put something recent, like Scott Pilgrim, Tintin, Poulet aux Prunes.... there's is material out there to make wonderful films. So far the only one in existence with franchise potential, given the situation, is Tintin. In a way I'm thankful that a great deal of comic book greatness remains untouched and/or forgotten by the big studios in USA. (I still remember the savagery that Frank Miller did to The Spirit, and that they didn't let Brad Bird do a 2D animated film about the character... :( )

And someone tell the French to stop making live action Asterix films and failing at it. Ugh.

Now I remeber I still have to post that list of my favourite films based on comic books. There's still one or two that I should see before and evade me, though.

Here's what's wrong with Superman Returns:

It's too long. It sags badly in the middle.

Kate Bosworth is the worst casting EVAR.

Superman has a kid

Angst

Spacey isn't deliciously sinister enough

There's not enough action - too few shots of Superman being Super. A lot of it is just suggested, possibly because money was an issue.

Despite those serious flaws, I still manage to enjoy it. Poor old Routh is spot-on, the score isn't a tragedy and there's a definite sense of fun. It doesn't try too hard to be something it was never gonna be ie as good as the original.