What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

It's a wonderfully chauvinistisch film. The story literally stops for a scene between two girls. Connery settles the Gypsy girl dispute by bedding both of them.

You could not do this movie today.

If you watch it in high definition you can see some nudity.

Howling II

I've seen this several times, and several notable scenes still have me dying with laughter in some spots. It's ludicrous, insane, weirdly edited, and so woeful... I'm surprised this doesn't have as big a cult following as Plan 9 From Outer Space. I feel bad for Christopher Lee, you can tell he was slumming it back then. Sybil Danning's magnificent rack is the highlight of the film... so much so that it's repeated 17 times in the closing montage.

But this bad movie isn't for everyone. It begs for the Rifftrax and Elvira's Movie Macabre treatment... it'd be even funnier.

Pierrot Le Fou and Vivre Sa Vie

The former is an interesting cinematic adventure, one that ultimately fails from a narrative perspective, but is quite breathtaking visually. The editing, angles, brilliant use of color, voice over and interplay between Belmondo and the beautiful Karina are all wonderful.

The latter is simply an amazing film on all fronts, and it reminds me how much Tarantino's style is influenced by Godard. Pulp Fiction wouldn't exist without this. Did I mention Karina is gorgeous? You could tell Godard was in love with her by how he films her, perhaps more in love with her on film than he was in real life.

It's a wonderfully chauvinistisch film. The story literally stops for a scene between two girls. Connery settles the Gypsy girl dispute by bedding both of them.

You could not do this movie today.

But I think you *should* do this movie today. That would give these Bond films some edge. They turned up the realism, but still meander in the realm of sexual harmlessness.

Today's Bond character lacks some sexual aggression in this regard. It's annoying.

I think the best version of all 3 films is somewhere in between the theatrical cut and extended cuts. But I could only see one version of each for the rest of my life I'd pick the extendeds. You can always hit fast forward on the scenes you don't like!

The only EE that I could shorten is ROTK.

I just cannot go back to the theatricals with the other two films.

Two Towers is the right length extended.

Fellowship I could extend even more. It's such an amazing movie. As long as you're shooting redundant stuff to fill up a third Hobbit film, Pete, shoot Bombadil and Barrow Downs, and put it back into Fellowship!

Two Towers is the only one of the three I felt was harmed by the theatrical version. It makes a few sections feel rushed.

My last film was The Apartment, picked randomly from my lovefilm queue. A rather unusual premise and relied completely on your curiosity of its characters.

finally saw 'the dark knight'.

what the fuck was the deal with this thing?

Passable film and OVERlong.

I prefer arkham asylum videogame joker.

And Mark hamill would have nailed it in this movie.

What many people find exceptional about this film (and the one that followed it ) is that it barely feels like a Batman (or, in fact, comic book genre) movie. That it treated the characters seriously, unlike what Marvel is doing. There is barely any CGI in the film and everything feels more like Michael Mann's thriller. If you look at it from this perspective, it is indeed quite special among blockbusters.

Which doesn't mean you have to like it. I'm just pointing out "what was the deal with this thing".

Karol

ah...

if superman takes the same route...i shudder.

It may fit for the darked themed and ambiented batman... superman should be different....

i didnt saw much 'thriller'. I expected the joker to be more sadic and cruel... he mostly shot people in cold blood. that's it...

ah...

if superman takes the same route...i shudder.

It may fit for the darked themed and ambiented batman... superman should be different....

i didnt saw much 'thriller'. I expected the joker to be more sadic and cruel... he mostly shot people in cold blood. that's it...

2012-07-24.png

Nolan was primarily inspired by this film when he was shooting TDK.

Karol

You mean it should be like Marvel movies? Always the same feel, the same movie but with a different cape?

Grosse Pointe Blank and High Fidelity

Two films from the highlight of Cusack's career. The former a wonderful action comedy, the latter a superb take on the romantic comedy. These are films I never tire of.

I just catched Presumed Innocent on TV.

I quite liked it... I won't spoil the ending, but let's just say that I would have liked it even more if it had remained more ambiguous instead of giving away that awful speech at the end. If they would have cutted right before that (with that amazing shot of the shadow covering half of Harrison's body), it would have been fantastic.

I don't mind closure in my movies, but I feel this one didn't need said closure. A more open ending would have been fantastic.

Nevertheless, I quite enjoyed it mainly thanks to Harrison's restrained and very subtle performance. The score was great on album, but it was even greater with the images.

7/10

Sideways

I love this film. Everything feels so effortless, and there is no life lessons slapped in my face. Is there a meaning to this film? Maybe. Maybe not. And I love it for that reason. You take what you want from it, it doesn't force anything down your throat. Everything feels natural- the tone, the characters, the acting, even the more far-fetched situations feel like they belong.

Incidentally I feel the opposite about The Descendants.

Nevertheless, I quite enjoyed it mainly thanks to Harrison's restrained and very subtle performance.

You're right. That's a good Harrison Ford. I remember some fans had trouble with his hairdo, which I thought was a strange thing to worry about.

Alex

Nevertheless, I quite enjoyed it mainly thanks to Harrison's restrained and very subtle performance.

You're right. That's a good Harrison Ford.

Yup. I agree. A very good performance from Ford in this movie, which fits the low key suspence of the plot so well.

Sideways

I love this film. Everything feels so effortless, and there is no life lessons slapped in my face. Is there a meaning to this film? Maybe. Maybe not. And I love it for that reason. You take what you want from it, it doesn't force anything down your throat. Everything feels natural- the tone, the characters, the acting, even the more far-fetched situations feel like they belong.

And I just found it really funny! Such a charming, honest movie for grown ups.

You're right. That's a good Harrison Ford. I remember some fans had trouble with his hairdo, which I thought was a strange thing to worry about.

Alex

I love how Ford manages to keep you wondering if he is guilty or not. Also his acting during his final scene with Bonnie Bedelia is outstanding, even though he's only reacting to her.

Presumed Innocent has always evaded me for some reason. I think the awkward Harrison vs. Greta sex scene on the desk always put me off, which I have seen. I admit the film in general does appeal to me though.

Greta Scacchi eh. She was one hot bitch in her day.

See it! It's a 'quiet' and good thriller (like the score indicates). In fact, I want to see it right now.

2520_5.jpg

Wonderfully moody atmosphere as well. I love the cinematography and the certain grey cast of the city and the subdued grimness of the sets.

Alex, why did you give TDKR 8/10? That surprised me, I almost fell off my chair.

I was entertained the whole time (mostly by the story - I constantly wanted to know where it all was going to - Nolan's forte). The style of the movie was more akin to Batman Begins, which I give a 7/10. Occasionally there were some poweful images too. To be honest, I was surprised that this movie was about a weak Batman. I can imagine a lot of fans being disappointed by their hero. That took some balls from Nolan.

Alex

The reason why I'm willing to forgive the film all its flaws is because of that. It gives you a more human and relatable perspective on this character, something you don't see in superhero films. And as someone pointed out before, it is the only Batman film in which you care about him. And also, it resolves his three film story arc quite nicely. All the technical and logic issues don't matter to me as much.

Karol

People say it isn't about Batman (or it isn't a Batman film) but it is a lot more about Batman/Bruce Wayne than TDK. You are right, I cared too.

When they say it isn't about Batman, they mean there aren't a lot of action sequences involving Batman.

From the perspective of the whole film and where its emotional core resides, it is all about him this time.

Karol

You were just waiting outside cinema and asked if anyone could give you their ticket after after the screening. I know your methods full well, Mr. Cremers. ;)

Karol

TDKR is a Superhero film Marvel could never make.

And The Avengers is a superhero film DC could never make, with its only two(maybe only one, but we'll see how Man of Steel goes) marketable heroes.

I have faith in Snyder!

He deserves my faith after Watchmen.

You know he's already directed two films since Watchmen, right?